Chapter Two

Showing You the Way Back

“Alright.”

 

“Yes? Did I just hear our uncle say yes?” Hyeri jumped to her feet, her eyes growing bigger by the second. Minah nodded her head vigorously. “YAAAY!!”

 

Gary held up his hand to halt their celebration. “However, I want to hear this plan of yours and determine if it’s doable or not.”

 

Yura smiled to herself, proud of themselves for even getting this far. “Well, based off of the label on her bag, we think that she works here at your company.”

 

“No way.” Surprised, the CEO grabbed his keys and opened up the file cabinet. He leafed through the documents, searching for the file of an employee around the age of their suspect. “Could this be her by any chance?”

 

He placed the folder on his desk so that they could all gather around it. “Park Sojin. Age twenty-two. Majored in mechanical engineering. Intern.”

 

“I don’t know her very well since she’s relatively new, but she seems decent enough from her interview. I mean, I'm pretty sure she's not a psychopath...”

 

“That’s her,” Yura confirmed. She couldn’t help but admire the ID picture of Sojin. Her eyes expressed tiredness and was only upturned slightly at the corners.

 

But she was beautiful.

 

Gary closed the file and put it back in its original location. “What am I supposed to tell your aunt? She’s coming home from her business trip in a few days.”

 

“Ooo, I have the solution,” Hyeri blurted. “Aunt Jihyo doesn’t know we’re coming since it’s supposed to be a surprise, right?” Gary nodded. “So don’t tell her, Uncle!”

 

“Your parents are going to kill me when they find out, let alone your aunt. I hope you can prove to me and everyone else that you know what you’re doing.” Despite his words, Gary felt a surge of pride for the girls. They were committed to going all out for a cause they believed in.

 

“We know, we know.” In the next half hour, Yura proceeded to tell her uncle the rest of the plan she had conjured. He offered his opinion and tweaked some of the kinks she was struggling on.

 

“Alright then, let’s get started.” Gary remarked, “It’s now or never.”

 

 


 

Sojin fell back against her chair, exhausted. Not only had she been racing around town all morning trying to get to work, but Leeteuk, the man she worked under for her internship, decided to send her on a ton of errands for the day.

 

 

Bring me coffee. Go print these out. Organize the folders. Answer the phone and tell my girlfriend I'm not here. The list went on and on and on...

 

This is what you want, she reminded herself. Take it one day at a time until you reach your goal.

 

Easier said than done, unfortunately.

 

The phone on the desk rang. Sojin was obligated to answer it since Leeteuk was still out on his lunch break. The lunch break that should have ended two hours ago. That jerk.

 

“Hello, this is Park Sojin speaking.”

 

“Ah, Sojin-ssi. Just the person I was searching for. This is the CEO, please come to my office as soon as possible.” A click indicated that Mr. Kang had ended the call.

 

This didn’t seem good at all. What could the CEO possibly want from her? Sojin began to freak out, unconsciously biting a nail. She held one of the lowest-of-the-low positions in the company. A meeting with the Mr. Kang could only warrant bad news.

 

 

Hanging her head, she silently said goodbye.

 

 


 

The grand mahogany door stood tall in front of her. Sojin took in a deep breath and knocked.

 

"Come in!" A muffled voice called from the other side.

 

The doorknob felt cold as she twisted it to let the door give way.

 

Upon entering the office, Sojin bowed to her boss right away. When she straightened her posture, she was startled to see the three girls from the bus stop.

 

They enthusiastically waved at her and she did the same back hesitantly.

 

"Sojin-ssi, you're probably wondering why I've called you here today."

 

She cleared . "Yes, sajangnim."

 

"I'll just get right into it then. I've been called overseas for an emergency meeting and I need someone to take care of my nieces in my absence."

 

So the girls were her boss's nieces. Hul. What a small world.

 

Wait a second.

 

 

"I...what?"

 

"I know this might sound unusual, but I promised the girls I'd show them around Seoul to make the best out of their summer vacation," replied the CEO. "And I need you to do that for me."

 

Why her? Out of everyone else? Surely there were more competent people up for the job. Sojin pushed that thought away for the moment. The actual idea of taking care of other living beings besides herself was more worrisome.

 

She rubbed little circles on her palm. "Not to seem rude, sajangnim, but don't you think this whole situation is a bit unprofessional? I mean, it's not everyday someone's boss asks them to babysit for a few weeks."

 

Gary leaned back in his chair and clasped his hands over his stomach. “Never mind that. If you decide to do me this favor, Sojin-ssi, I’ll put in a good word for you at our joint company located in Daegu. I hear they’re looking to fill a spot with a mechanical engineer.” He raised one eyebrow, awaiting her response.

 

 

What she didn't know was that Gary was bluffing. Sole Mates Co. was one of the most successful running shoe companies in all of South Korea. With a large company that was so dependent on a perfectly smooth operation, an open spot for a profession that critical was almost unheard of. The most he could get her was a good-paying desk job. However, if all went as planned, the mechanical engineer would be finding herself with a much higher job position...

 

 

Sojin stood there speechless. This was an opportunity that she had spent the last four years in college trying to achieve. There was no way she could pass up the job offer and Gary definitely knew that. She glanced over at the three sisters.

 

They smiled angelically at her.

 

"I'll give you a considerable amount of money to pay for their needs plus your own. Don’t worry about your internship. All you have to do is give them a good time," Gary added in case she wavered. "You will be of great help to me, Sojin-ssi."

 

After another five seconds passed by for all the pros and cons to run through her head, Sojin gazed determinedly at her boss. “I’ll do it.”

 


 

“Then it’s settled,” Gary smiled. “The girls will stay with you for the next few weeks. If they express satisfaction by the time I arrive back, you’ll find yourself with a new job.”

 

“Thank you so much. I’ll try my best.” She had no choice but to do so.

 

“Do you think I can speak with my nieces for a few minutes, Sojin-ssi?” Gary asked.

 

“Oh, of course.” Sojin bowed and exited the office.

 

“Before I forget.” Gary strided over to his desk and pulled out two envelopes from one of the drawers. “Give this one to Sojin. The other one is for you three. It contains all the birthday money that I couldn’t give you guys last year.”

 

Yura took the envelope meant for them. Opening the flap, she could already see countless bills of wons with large numbers on them.

 

“Uncle, this is too much, we can’t

 

“Don’t worry about it,” Gary interjected. “I’m allowed to spoil my favorite nieces once in a while, aren’t I?”

 

 

"We're your only nieces..."

 

He pulled them in for one last hug. “Make sure you call often and keep me updated. And don’t spend all the money on sweets, Hyeri-ah.”

 

The young girl sulked. “Deh, Uncle Gary.”

 


A/N: How are you guys liking the story so far? Thumbs up? Thumbs down?

Please comment and subscribe!!