Chapter 1

Scent of Vanilla
 

Seungyoon took a deep breathe as he prepares to strum the strings of his guitar. Trying to focus and concentrate, he closed his eyes as he hummed out different kinds of melodies. He went for a slow-paced melody, to a fast-paced one. But none of it sounded right and matched with the chords he's playing. He had been sitting on his desk for hours, trying to repeat the same thing over and over again. His eyes were red, his back is aching, and his fingertips have bruises all over. He was mentally and physically exhausted.

For some reason, he was struggling. He didn't know why, but he knows he's not his usual self. He wasn't even finished with it halfway, but he's already hopeless. Stressed out, Seungyoon placed his guitar on the floor and sat back on his chair. He rested his neck as he stared blankly at the ceiling, while his hands are flailing. He let out a sigh.

"Damn it," he whispered to himself.

He could hear noises from the outside, seeping inside his cramped up room. There were chatting, joking, and laughing. He knew the guys are already hanging out in the living room, relaxing and taking it easy. It made him even more pressured, knowing that everyone, excluding Jinwoo, are all finished with their own projects. For the first time, he's in last place.

Suddenly, he hears the door hinge squeak a little. Along with it, a bold but mild scent fills the whole room. It was the scent of vanilla, lingering all over the place. Seungyoon turned around to face the door and saw Taehyun, leaning against the wall whilst his hands are crossed onto his chest. He was his usual laid-back attitude. 

"How are you doing?" Taehyun asked, slightly showing concern in his eyes.

Seungyoon scratched his head as he furrowed his eyebrows. "Do you need to ask?" he said, irritated.

Taehyun chuckled, finding amusement from the older man's reaction. "Ah, sorry, sorry. Don't be grumpy, though. Just here to cheer you up!" He clenched his fists. "Fighting!"

"Tsch." Seungyoon rolled his eyes."Shut up."

Taehyun laughed. "What? Why are you so grumpy? You're so mean!"

"We both know you're here to mock me and rub it to my face."

"What? Rub what in your face?" he asked, laughing.

"That you finished before me."

"Ah. So you knew?" He chuckled. "Don't worry, though. You'll finish yours. Eventually," he said in a mocking manner.

"Screw you, Vanilla Man."

Taehyun placed his hands onto his waist as he raises an eyebrow. "Vanilla Man?"

Seungyoon chuckled. "Yeah, Vanilla Man. You and your girly, vanilla-scented perfume."

Taehyun's cheeks were tinted with a faint blush. He clears his throat as he tries his best not to show his embarrassment. "So? What's wrong with vanilla-scented perfume? I like the way it smells."

"No, no. Of course there's nothing wrong with it. Except for the fact that it's for women!" ​Seungyoon burst out laughing. 

Taehyun kept his silence. He watched as Seungyoon tears up from laughing. "You done?"

"Yeah, I'm done." Seungyoon wipes the sides of his eyes with his index fingers. "No, wait. I'm not," he said as he continues to laugh.

Taehyun sighed in disbelief. "Unbelievable. Real mature, huh?"

"Well, you started it!" Seungyoon said as he calms himself down from laughing.

"Just shut up already."

"Heeyy!~" a cheerful voice uttered.

Both guys felt their heart jump out from surprise. They paused and looked to where the voice was coming from---it was Jinwoo, peeking his head out from the door, smiling.

"Come on! Dinner's served. Let's eat!" he said as he walks away.

Seungyoon rubs his chest, sighing. "That frightened me."

He looked at the slanted-eyebrowed man on the door, who's been quiet suddenly. Much to his surprise, a seemingly flustered-up Taehyun was there, blushing up to his ear. Seungyoon's eyebrow automatically rises.

"What the hell are you blushing for?"

Taehyun's eyes widens a little. Suddenly, his posture seemed stiff and tensed-up. He fidgeted around, like a little child nervous for his first trip to the dentist. Seungyoon knew Taehyun was trying his hardest not to be obviously-anxious in front of him, but his curiosity as to why he's acting like that, kicked it. He couldn't help but get curious. It was the first time he saw him like that. And like every person who badly wanted an answer, Seungyoon didn't falter to ask.

"What's up with you? You're like, bright red. You okay?"

Taehyun paused before finally speaking. "..Huh?" He laughed nervously. "What are you talking about?"

Seungyoon squinted his eyes as he carefully reads Taehyun's expression. Like a boy who just talked to his unrequited love, he thought that Taehyun was acting exactly like that. He laughed in disbelief. He never would have imagined that he'll ask Taehyun something so ridiculous.

"..Are you.. in love with.. Jinwoo-hyung?"

Taehyun quickly lifts his head up to face him. His eyes were wide from shock. "H-Huh..? Quit joking around.."

Seungyoon's mouth opens a little, shocked and in disbelief at the same time.

Jackpot!

Judging from his expression, and from the way he responded, Seungyoon knew he was spot-on. He always knew there was always something fishy about Taehyun's attitude towards Jinwoo. The way he looks at him, the way he would listen only to him, and the way he calms down from being moody when Jinwoo talks to him. It all made sense to him now---Taehyun is in love with their cheerful and cute hyung, Jinwoo.

This realization takes him back from a certain moment, not too long ago, when they were all chatting at a cafe. At a time where Jinwoo was talking about how he liked the scent of vanilla, and how it drives him crazy. From that moment on, Taehyun began wearing vanilla-scented perfumes. It was just too much of a coincidence, Seungyoon thought. But now, he's sure to his bones that Taehyun's sudden obsession with vanilla fragrances, is all because of Jinwoo.

Seungyoon chuckled.

"..The hell are you laughing about?" Taehyun asked, angered.

Seungyoon smirked in a taunting manner. "Oh, I've got you now."

 

 

 

 



This is a two-chaptered fic. I'll post the second and final one tomorrow! It's still on the process of writing. Thanks for reading!