The Last Can

The Worst Cold

Hoseok groaned loudly again as the bus finally approached his stop. He was sick and his roommates were on a vacation back to their respective homes for winter break, leaving him to fend for himself while suffering from the nastiest cold he'd ever had. His own parents had taken a trip to India so he was still in Seoul. And damn miserable.

 

Pulling his scarf tighter around his neck and letting out another pitiful groan he slowly hobbled towards the small market down the road being mindful of the snow littering the ground hoping he wouldn’t slip and fall. He was also hoping that the market would have the medicine and soup he needed knowing that it was often out of supplies because of its prime location but it was the closest one to his apartments so it would have to do.

 

Wading into the bitter wind and snow he hurriedly tried to cross the street to enter the market as to not make his cold worse. Finally pulling the shops door open and entering he immediately sighed knowing he'd have to walk all the way back to his apartment considering he rode the bus there and he'd have to wait an hour before another circled back around. Admittedly he usually walked anyways because it really wasn't that far, but he was sick and it was cold.

 

Heading towards the back he was instantly a bit relieved to see the cold medicine fully stocked and screaming his name. Grabbing a bottle he turned away before thinking better and grabbed two more. Just in case. Now to get him some soup so he didn't die from my starvation instead of the coughing that had decided to plague him recently.

 

Glancing around the shelves he almost fell over wanting to cry. They little shop didn't have any more soup. He'd have to go elsewhere.

 

That's when he saw it, in the far back corner. One can was left, shoved behind the canned vegetables. Even though it was only a single can Hoseok almost felt like crying again but this time from joy.

 

He quickly took a step forward and was about to grab the blessed can when another hand bumped into his own, seemingly trying to take HIS soup. He was still frozen, slightly damp from the snow, and was having cold sweats from his fever. There was no way he was giving anyone this soup, he'd sooner admit that he watched an American show called Hannah Montana. (Which may or may not be true, and it also may or may not be true he knew the whole opening and dance.)

 

He glanced at the owners face ready to glare at them until they either died or got scared. Whichever came first was fine with Hoseok as long as he got what he wanted right now. But Hoseok felt his glare soften when he saw a bright angry red nose with an equally red pair of eyes. A boy obviously a bit younger than himself and probably just as sick was looking at him a little dazed. He had light brown hair that was matted down a bit from sweat, probably due to a fever, and a slightly square jaw that didn't quite match his innocent look but was very handsome regardless.

 

Hoseok admitted the stranger was attractive. But he still wasn’t giving up his precious soup.

 

"Yeah hi. I was here first so I'll just be going." He plucked the can off the shelf and was about to walk away when the very same hand shot out and grabbed onto it tightly.

 

"Actually I was here first, and since I'm sick and need it more I'll just be taking this." The boy flashed a smile that obviously was fake, but adorable none the less.

 

"I'm sick too, and probably sicker than you. This is the only soup here and I’m not going to another market. So get your hands off of it." Hoseok was usually very kind and would have normally given the soup up easily and maybe even offered to get more for the other from another store, but today was anything but usual.

 

They stood glaring at each other, both grips collectively tightening around the cylinder. Knuckles were turning white and faces were getting closer ready to heads.

 

"Let. Go. " Hoseok grumbled out trying to sound intimidating but he ended up sneezing. All over the other boys face. Who instantly let go with a disgusted look on his face. Hoseok jumped in victory and was on his way to the counter without a second look back.

 

"That's so disgusting you... You... Handsome horse!" he was suddenly tackled down in the middle of the aisle with arms reaching above his head, which was now smooshed to the dirty floor, towards the fallen goods.

 

He pushed himself up with as much strength as he could muster pushing the other off and did a ninja roll to get the can. Grinning in triumph he turned away but not before looking down at the other. He paused when he saw the defeated look on the handsome boys face. Sighing he glanced between the can and the boy a few times before reaching his hand down to offer the damned soup. Why'd he have to be a nice person?

 

"Here. I'll go somewhere else and get it there." The cute boys head snapped up to look him in shock, his slightly swollen eyes widening in shock.

 

He got up off the floor and smiled a million watt smile. "How about you come over and I make the soup for the both of us since we both need it?"

 

Hoseok stared at the other in surprise. "You don't know me at all. I could kill you. And you’re inviting me to your house for soup?"

 

"Eh if you're as sick as you look then there's no way you'll feel like killing me anytime soon. And my roommate should be home in an hour so it’s not like it'll be just me and you." The stranger justified himself with a smile. "Plus you're cute and nice." He added looking at Hoseok again. Which caused the older to grin at being complimented, knowing he was anything but cute with his runny nose and what not.

 

"Well I'd love to then. I promise not to kill you as well." Hoseok winked at the other and reached his hand out, "Jung Hoseok, but you can call me J-Hope hyung."

 

"Kim Taehyung. Call me Tae. And I could be older than you!" He said with another bright smile. Hoseok laughed because they both knew he wasn't.

 

After paying for their separate medicines and the lone sacred can of soup they tucked themselves down into their clothes to brace themselves against the impending cold. As they seemingly headed towards Taehyungs apartment Hoseok realized something and stopped in his tracks even though the cold was making him feel worse.

 

"Wait. Did you call me a handsome horse as an insult earlier?" Taehyung only laughed and then went into a coughing fit.