Chapter Two

Triple The Trouble

this absolutely amazing poster is from the ifyoucan'thang postershop

 

Chapter Two

 

 

Lacing on my shoelaces, I jog on the spot as I wait for the lifts to reach my level.

 

Glancing at my wristwatch, I can't help but grin. Something tells me that I'm going to be lucky. I'm not one to believe in luck, nor am I the type to chase after a guy – but today feels like a good one and I'm willing to givemy luck a chance.

 

Trust your instincts. You're in a different country. Nothing is stopping you. It's a new opportunity for you to breathe...

 

Those words of encouragement from my uncle had been ringing in my ears repeatedly. I know I shouldn't apply it to a guy or on fate, but Daehan's face has been lingering on my mind since encountering him yesterday. There's something about him that I can't figure out...that I want to figure out. That, and I'm absolutely bored.

 

There was nothing to do. I had done the groceries, cleaned the apartment and even applied for part-time jobs - a progressive day for my second day in Korea, I must say.

 

Anyway, as luxurious as my apartment can be, I don't want to stay here. The apartment is only temporary until I earn enough money to move out and pay rent for cheap apartment. I could stay in the current apartment, but I don't want to take any more advantage of my uncle's hospitality. He's already done enough for me and I firmly believe that you have to work for what you get.

 

Besides, I had gotten a taste of my neighbour and he is somebody I am not fond of. As handsome as Manse may be, hearing sounds and cursing profanities in the middle of the night is something I do not want to be exposed to every night. To think I had to migrate to the lounge because of the yelling the woman he was with was doing and-

 

I shudder. Thinking about it brings back memories I don't wish to revisit.

 

Moving to an new place, making roommates...that sounds like a plan - an achievable goal. Besdies, being alone is weird. I had survived one night by myself, but I think I'm a person who needs to be surrounded by people to feel comfortable.  I shouldn't be complaining because it's only my first day by myself, but when you're used to being in a cramped house with the family dog barking and your parents and siblings constantly at your back, transferring to lavish lifestyle and having your own privacy is quite lonely. Asides from what was happening next door, it had been dead silent for the majority of the night. Too silent, if you ask me.

 

All this thinking had led me to decide to take a jog today – because I could do with a new friend or company, mind you. Probably that's why I had found myself thinking about Daehan. He's the first (asides from Dongjin) friendly face I've come across. Around this time yesterday I had met Daehan, which means that there could be a possibility that I can bump into him again.

 

Once outside of the apartment, I jog a few blocks down to the park. My sneakers crunch against the leaves and my lungs feel lighter from the fresh air. After a good fifteen minutes of circling the park, I'm disheartened to see that the person I'm looking for isn't visible at all.

 

I wipe the sweat off my face with a towel, letting my body fall limp onto the bench that is aligned with the footpath. As I unscrew the lid from my water bottle, I see a bicycle whizz past me. I almost immediately recognise it to be Daehan, but it's already too late. In the blink of an eye, he's gone.

 

I can't help but feel really foolish about this thoughtless plan. How was I meant to 'bump into' him when he's riding a bicycle? Yeah, I can be a real dunce at times.

 

Yet, somehow this unmindful tactic is still working. A minute later I spot him walking back towards where I am sitting. He's pulling his bicycle along with him as he walks along. I can't help but notice that his hair is slicked back, most likely from perspiration.

 

As I lift my hand to greet him, he stops and turns away from me. He's bending down, filling his re-filling his bottle from the water fountain.

 

What now?

 

Am I meant to stand up and tap him on the shoulder? Greet him? Say hello? Or should I-

 

“AHHHHH!”

 

The scream catches me off guard. The standing Daehan is now sprawled on the floor with somebody lying on top of him.

 

Alarmed, I get up. Why is Daehan getting attacked my a random stranger? Before I step in to help, the two begin rolling around on the grass.

 

“You idiot,” Daehan hisses as the other person rolls on top of him.

 

“Only for you, babe,” The stranger replies.

 

The voice sounds familiar and after a few seconds I connect two and two together. I pale. The person on Daehan is Manse – my neighbour. They look familiar with each other and when Daehan had registered who the stranger was, he had stopped fighting him.

 

As I'm about to step in, Manse does something that surprises me – he bites Daehan on the neck.

 

What surprises me more is that Daehan is resisting, yet he's rolling his eyes as if this is a normal occurrence between two men. Does Daehan like this or hate it?

 

Daehan's gay? They're gay?

 

But wasn't Manse with a girl last night?

 

Before I can think myself into more confusion, a new person steps into the picture.

 

“Manse!” A shrill voice shrieks. “Are you cheating on me?”

 

A tall pretty woman looms over the two men on the ground. She's got the height, a pretty face and s to die for. (Yes, I lack in that department. Sue me).

 

She's pointing a shaking, accusing finger at Manse. Her nail is painted midnight purple. Wait a minute...that must be the lady that Manse was sleeping with last night!

 

I suddenly feel sick in the stomach from thinking about the discovery.

 

“He's more attractive, darling,” Manse smirks. The smirk immediately disappears when the lady kicks him in the gut with her sharp heels before stalking off.

 

“Serves you right,” Daehan grunts, rolling onto his back. “Babe.”

 

Recovering from the kick, Manse jumps back onto his feet and helps Daehan up. He links his arm around Daehan''s and plants a sloppy kiss on Daehan's right cheek. “But you are more attractive, you know?”

 

I'm left dumbfounded as I watch the two men disappear. What in hell just happened?

 

•••••••••••••••

 

 

 

Although starting the first day at university is exciting, it is not as exciting as reuniting with your best friend.

 

It's been a good two years since I've seen Hyejin since she had returned to her hometown, Busan. I had spent most of my life with her being by my side and those two years of absence in my life had heavily impacted me. I had missed her dearly. We had Skyped once a week during the time apart, but it doesn't have the same feeling as seeing each other in person.

 

Hyejin had been my main Korean tutor and been the reason to why I had developed an interest for Korean culture – and their cuisines, of course.

 

I was beyond elated when I found out she'd be going to the same university as me. It would be back to how we used to be, the two of us against the world...

 

...or so I thought.

 

Instead of seeing only Hyejin, I watched as her boyfriend toddled along behind her.

 

“SAYURI!”

 

I'm being insensitive and, possibly y, but I had wanted to reunite with my best friend alone. Therefore, seeing her with her new boyfriend kind of irritated me.

 

However, I bit back my tongue and squealed as I gave her a rib-crushing embrace. I stepped back and grinned.

 

She had grown a few inches taller. Her hair is cut short now, and her fashion style has become more girly. Other than that, she still has that same darn glowing dimply smile that always caused heads to turn her direction. Hyejin never asked for attention, but she was one of those girls who always got it. It's guaranteed attention because she's beautiful inside and out.

 

“I can't believe you're on Korean soil. I can't wait to take you around and just imagining all the mischief we'll get into makes me so excited!” Hyejin chatters on.

 

I give a small smile at the guy behind her. He's how I remember him to be from the photos Hyejin's sent me when she first had a crush on him, and they were seeing each other. He cheeks are pink, eyes smiling and there is a calming and kind aura that illuminates around him by just being in his presence.

 

When she sees her boyfriend exchanging a shy glance with me, she pushes her boyfriend forward. “You know who this is, but meet my boyfriend. Minguk, this is my best friend Sayuri. The girl I feel threatened about because she probably could win your heart by her culinary skills.”

 

Minguk grins. “Nice to meet you, Sayuri. Hyejin's told me so much about you. You apparently owe me a cooked meal some time.”

 

“Of course,” I wink, playing along as Hyejin shakes her head, laughing at the both of us.

 

Although I had felt apprehensive about Minguk bombarding our reunion, I can't help but like him. He's a nice guy and I can understand why my best friend had fallen for him. I already know we'll get along.

 

“So...you go to this university as well?” I ask him.

 

“Yes,” Minguk replies to me. “I'm a music major.”

 

“That makes sense,” I smile. Hyejin hadn't given me the full details about her boyfriend, but I had always imagined her to be with the musical type of guy because of her unwavering love for music. She had outshone everybody in our small hometown with her piano skills.

 

Hyejin naturally holds his hand as we walk through the campus and I can't help but grin at how cute they are.

 

Something like this isn't common in Japan. Curiously, I speak up again, “Is it common for couples to show public displays of affection here?”

 

“We're in Korea now, Sayuri,” Hyejin tells me.

 

“I know,” I mutter. “I was only curious. Does the same apply for gay couples...is that normal too?”

 

It had been bugging me. Ever since seeing Manse kiss Daehan and even bite his neck, mind you, I couldn't help but question Korea's stance when it came to uality.

 

“No,” Minguk disagrees. “It's still looked down upon here.”

 

“That's odd,” I voice out. “I came across a couple yesterday...”

 

I stop speaking.

 

Peculiarly enough, the subject of my conversation is now in front of me. It's like I'm having a deja vu because the two guys were now in front of us and, from what looks like it, they're heading towards us right now.

 

“Uhh...” I stutter.

 

Minguk raises an eyebrow at me, but when he sees the two guys approach us he exclaims something that shocks me speechless.

 

Hyung!”

 

 

•••••••••••••••

 

(a/n) 

I know...this took forever and is a shorter chapter than the first one, but a lot happened in this chapter...right? ;P Forgive me? This story is fun to write so I will hopefully continue it. I've just taken on some new challenges in my life, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to have (dropped down to 32 hours a week and studying part-time whilst saving for a holiday to the UK/Europe at the end of year.....). So life's been busy. I'll stop rambling about myself.

I hope you liked this chapter ;) ... sorry in advance for the errors. i wrote this chapter on a coffee high when i was meant to be doing my assessment /procrastination/

 

P.S. HOW WONDERFUL IS THE NEW POSTER? :)