Chapter Three - Trouble Brewing in the Cottage

The Prince

Chapter Three

Trouble Brewing in the Cottage

Breathe shortening, Sehun halted in a large, evergreen opening in the woods. At the vociferous noise, groups of woodland creatures scurried back into the bushes. Shining down like a spotlight, the afternoon sky broke through the tops of the trees. Panting, Sehun cursed himself. He can’t take this anymore. Any longer there would drive him crazy. He actually felt like he was losing himself.

“Prince Sehun?” A deep, warm voice called out from the opposite entrance to the opening.

“ off!” Sehun yelled. However, his face softened once one of his knights and friends, Chanyeol Park. The tall man laughed.

“Hi, your majesty,” Chanyeol sheepishly greeted, scratching the back of his neck. Sehun released a prolonged sighed, relaxing at the older’s presence. “Where’ve ya been? I miss’t ya.”

“That doesn’t matter! Take me back to the castle at once,” Sehun hissed, smacking Chanyeol upside the head. “I absolutely refuse to stay here!”

“Wheres ‘xactly is ‘here?’” Chanyeol asked absentmindedly.

"On a hill on the edge of the kingdom lies a small cottage occupied by ravenous beasts who only wishes to further soil my reputation,” Sehun responded bitterly.

“How’s e’re-one in town?” Chanyeol spoke again, still ignoring the prince’s demands. Despite his growing irritation, Sehun gave in.

“Fine, I guess,” Sehun mumbled.

“I shou’ pra’bly go visit one of these days,” he said sadly before laughing heartily, “I bet ma’ ma and ma’ pa ‘re miss’tin me.”

"You’re accent is horrendous. What part of town are you even from?” Sehun mocked. In return, Chanyeol gave a toothy grin.

“Near that there hill youse was talkin’ ‘bout,” Chanyeol proudly claimed.

“Wait! You don’t have an accent, you doof!” Sehun shouted, getting closer to Chanyeol’s face. Chanyeol pouted.

“Use to, actually,” he giggled, “but now that Is been staying in the castle, it’s gone away a bit. If Is didn’t talk like this, my parents would disown me.

“I’m surprised they haven’t already,” Sehun muttered, “Especially with how y of a knight you are. How’d you even become a knight anyway?”

"The draft,” he stated simply with a lazy shrug.

“That’s rather vague,” Sehun groused, “What’s the draft?”

“Right! You’re a royal, so youse wouldn’t know,” Chanyeol paused for a moment of thought. Sounds like something Luhan would say just to spite me, Sehun thought, but nimbly scolded himself for thinking of the enemy. Breaking his thought, Chanyeol went on, “well, the draft is a, uh, series of random draws from a golden bucket filled with the names of ten year ol’ children. The headmistress at the ye ol’ primary school then picks names out of the bucket. The first round, they pick fiddy names. The second, twenty five. The third, and final, round, they pick fifteen. Those fifteen kids go immediately into training to become a knight. My ol’ friend, Lu, almost got drafted with me. He got to the third round.”

“Lu?” Sehun snarled, “Is that who I think-“A sweet, tender voice interrupted him.

“Prince Sehun?” It rang. “Sehun!” The tired figure of Luhan emerged from the path, taking small breathes as he went. “I’ve been looking everywhere for-Chanyeollie?”

“Lulu!” Chanyeol belted, opening his arms to engulf the older in a tight hug.

“You two actually know each other?” Sehun snorted, crossing his arms.

“Of course, silly. We’ve known each other since we were six,” Luhan giggled.

“And by eight we were lovers,” Chanyeol joked, slapping Luhan, who yelped in pain, on the back.

“Lovers?” Sehun growled, arching his eyebrows.

“Oh, Sehun, calm down. It was just a joke,” Luhan chortled.

“Whatever! Take me home now,” Sehun murmured, crossing his arms.

“Fine, then,” Luhan sighed, “let’s go.”

As they were about to head off, Chanyeol stopped them. “Wait! I need to, erm, youse. The woods ain’t safe to travel without protection.”

“Are you saying I’m not tough enough to protect Luh-the poor commoner?” Sehun barked. Chanyeol shook his head.

"No the woodsman, Sehun,” he turned to Luhan, who was nodding in agreement, “everyone’s heard the story. So let me take youse guys back.”

Eventually, after much persuasion, Sehun allowed Chanyeol to lead them back to Luhan’s cottage. The whole way, Chanyeol and Luhan rekindled as fake former lovers and Sehun felt his eyes twitching the whole time. No matter what, Luhan would not focus all of his attention on him. What kind of alien is he? Granted, Chanyeol tried to include him in conversation, but Sehun was easily lost by their commoner rituals and inside jokes. Fortunately, the walk back didn’t last too long and the blissful sight of the cherry tree cut their bonding short. Without so much as a goodbye, Sehun yanked Luhan into the house. With a straggled cry, Luhan thanked Chanyeol for his help. Once inside, Luhan’s parents confronted them.

“How was your day?” Tao reported, narrowing his eyes. Sehun tried to swallow the lump in his throat, but to no avail.

“Fine,” he croaked. Luhan rolled his eyes.

“What you going on about?” Luhan inquired defensively.

“Oh, nothing. It’s just,” Tao stopped to release a fake sigh, “you two have been gone all day now. I just want to know how you are.”

“You’re almost as bad a liar as me,” Yifan chuckled, earning a glare from his husband. Defeated, Yifan put his hands up as he stepped back. “All I’m saying is that Luhan is a good kid with good morals. Let him make his own decisions.”

Tao thought for a moment. “Yes, you’re right. I apologize,” Tao claimed, “Now, go take care of the garden.”

Leaving without acknowledging Sehun whatsoever, Luhan plodded off to the backyard. Grumbling to himself, Sehun followed close behind him. An unfamiliar rage flowed through his veins. No. It wasn’t exactly rage. It was loathing. Unadulterated loathing. His spoiled attitude, his arrogance, his mocking. Luhan couldn’t stand it. Luhan took a deep breathe. He has no right mind to be so judgmental. There is always more beneath the surface. And if not that layer, the next one.

“Why did you get mad at Chanyeol?” Luhan asked as he filled up the watering can.

"I wasn’t mad,” Sehun protested, “that’s just how I am with friends.”

Luhan raised an eyebrow. “Please, smoke practically pumped out of your ears. You were so mad,” he argued, “that isn’t how you treat your friends.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter what your opinion is,” Sehun retorted.

Eyes glued to the ground, Luhan murmured, “yeah, apparently.”

After that, Luhan gradually drifted away from Sehun, who examined him with eyes like lasers as he sat slumped in a lawn chair. From the kitchen window, Tao observed their behavior. Within the blink of an eye, everything could change and as much as we hate it, we have no choice but to accept it and adapt. This was unbearable. The way they avoid each other’s eyes and keep their eyes facing the ground. They were like children in love. Rather, neither of them were children and they were most definitely not in love. He sighed.

“What are we going to do?” Tao wailed, burying his face in his arms. Yifan wrapped his arms around Tao’s waists and pecked his shoulder.

“Don’t worry, love,” he consoled, bundling his face into the younger’s neck.

"Yifan, they hate each other!” He cried, lifting his head up.

“No they don’t, love. They need time,” Yifan assuaged, brushing Tao’s hair out his eyes. The younger gazed up at him with sparkling, teary eyes. “How about tomorrow I go speak to Yixing? He’ll know what to do.”

---

At the of dawn, Yifan’s eyes slowly peeled open. The early summer morning peeked over the horizon and a light breeze grazed across the land. Otherwise, all was silent. God, he hoped Luhan wasn’t awake. His son adored the mornings and the sky. He rocked Tao until his dark, mesmerizing eyes opened. They kissed. As they didn’t have much time until Luhan’s soft snores would dissipate into an awakening yawn, they moved nimbly. Rummaging through his wardrobe, Yifan searched for his best attire. He didn’t want to look bad in front of the royal family. Meanwhile, Tao prepared a snack for the tripp. Actual breakfast landed somewhere on his scheduled plan today.

“I love you, my handsome dragon,” Tao giggled, pecking his husband’s lips before pulling him into a hug.

“And I love you,” Yifan muttered into Tao’s black locks.

With that, he was off.

Across the rolling hills, through the dense forest, and down the sleepy river, Yifan admired the view as he went about. Nostalgic scents and sights were around every corner. After all, it wasn’t every day that he walked this route. Once, he took Luhan down to this river to fish with Tao and Yixing when he was merely a toddler. That was days prior to Yixing meeting the extravagant Prince Joonmyun. That was a simpler time. Soon, the castle came into view. By this time, the sun reached over the treetops and casted its rays atop the vibrant greenery. Only now did he realized that he faced a problem; how was he to get into the castle?

Turns out, getting into the castle wasn’t as hard as he previously thought. From a mile away, Yifan spotted Chanyeol’s elf ears and honey hair. Immediately, he called upon the young man’s assistance. Sporting a ditzy grin, Chanyeol led him into the castle through the large front doors. From behind, he heard gasps and whispers as he, a common subject, waltzed passed the fountain barrier confidently. Eventually, he found himself standing before King Joonmyun.

“What business do you have here?” He boomed. The rest of the royal family soon joined him. After sending him a small, apologetic smile, Yixing rushed over to his husband. He whispered something in his ear to which the other king sighed. Sitting down with the rest of his sons, he grumbled, “My husband will take care of this.”

“Hello!” Yixing exclaimed, but upon seeing Yifan’s weak smile, his face fell. “What’s wrong? Is Sehunnie okay?”

"Sehun is fine,” Yifan laughed lowly. He cleared his throat. “It’s just that our sons…aren’t getting along right now. They’re constantly bickering and ignoring each other.”

“Typical Sehun,” Baekhyun muttered, receiving a smack on the arm from Yixing.

“Any ideas, boys?” Yixing asked, opening the conversation to everyone.

After his lips excessively, Jongin raised his head higher. He smirked. “Take me around. I’ll be sure to help.”

And, of course, no one saw a flaw in that option.

---

When Yifan returned, Jongin by his side, not even a bird’s melody rang through the house. An unfamiliar eeriness settled in his stomach as he stepped through the front door. Tao, who was reading on their new beige couch, glanced at him with tired eyes that told the story of the disobedience of the two boys. 

Luhan, who must have forced Sehun up, wandered into the kitchen as Sehun stomped along behind him. Tao smiled at their presence. Not thinking, Luhan plopped down at the table expecting a platter of food to appear before his eyes. As Sehun followed his lead, Tao shook his head. They were hopeless.

“Nope. Sit up,” Tao commanded, “You two will be cooking today. Breakfast and lunch. Depending, I might leave you off the hook for dinner.”

“What about my plans?” Luhan glowered. Sehun scoffed as if to say ‘yeah right, sure as if you have plans.’ Luhan shot him a deadly glare.

“My house. My rules,” Tao hummed, “Now get to work.”

“Tao, this is Prince Jongin. He’s here to help. If all else fails, a horse is outside for him to return home,” Yifan explained, leaning down to kiss the younger’s forehead.

“It’s a pleasure, your majesty. Sehun and Luhan are in their room. Down that hall, last door on the right,” Tao greeted amiably. 

“You too. Thank you,” Jongin bowed, “And, please, call me Jongin.”

 As he approached, the floorboards creaked quietly. Jongin was careful not to make so much noise. Sehun might catch on. This is for spilling food on the guests and making me take them to their carriage, Jongin thought defiantly. A determined look in his eyes, he raised his fist. Behind the door, Jongin pressed his ear up to it. He could hardly make out their tiny voices and giggles.

“I think he’s with Chanyeol, even though that’s obviously so wrong,” Sehun scoffed. Typical Sehun, Jongin thought.  

“Oh dear Exodus! A commoner and a royal slay me,” Luhan mimicked, but Sehun must have retaliated with a hit as Luhan had yelped softly.  He then heard the strange and uncommon laugh of Sehun. Sehun rarely ever laughed. “There is nothing wrong with their relationship. If Prince Baekhyun wants to be with Chanyeol, who’s to say it is wrong?”

"I guess you’re right,” Sehun mumbled. Jongin wanted to laugh at his lack of resistance. So unlike him to succumb.

“I’m always right,” Luhan said.

“You are asking for it!” Sehun shout-whispered. He must have lunged at Luhan with open arms as laughs and shouts came cavalcading afterward. Jongin’s lips grew into a menacing smirk. He pushed the door open. The whole room froze. Sehun had Luhan, whose eyes widen at the sudden intrusion, pinned beneath him. His eye twitched before he shot up.

“What are you doing here?” He snarled, moving in front of Luhan defensively. Surrounded by an air of arrogance, Jongin raised his hands up.

“Now, now, gentlemen. No need to get hostile. I’m just here till… I don’t know when,” Jongin said, shrugging casually, but only Sehun caught the hint of trouble in his voice. He swaggered over to Luhan and threw his arm around Luhan’s shoulders. “I think we’ll be good friends, Lu baby.”

With hooded eyes, Sehun yanked Luhan out of Jongin’s arms. “As if! And don’t call him that,” he growled.

“What? Are you jealous, Hun?” Jongin mocked, cackling evilly.

Something clicked in Sehun’s brain.

“Jongin! Get out sthnow! You are tho thupid! No one thwants you here,” Sehun yelled, invisible smoke coming out his ears like a sailor’s pipe, “You leftht me here alone tho keep it thhhat way.” In awe and confusion, Luhan gazed up at him. At the precious look on Luhan’s face, Jongin merely smirked once more.

“Guess my work here is done,” Jongin concluded, prepare to exit the situation. However, before he left, Jongin threw a glance over his shoulder and made a curious remark: “I never really thought papa’s love advice would ever work, but you should really take it.”

It took a few minutes—a lot of heavy breathing—for Sehun’s heart rate to return to normal. The sensual of Luhan’s hand on his back didn’t help much either. God, he hated when Jongin got in one of his troublesome, flirty moods. Sometimes, he contemplated whether to give him sleepy pills so he’ll return the cute, cuddly Jongin. He thought for a moment. You know, maybe Luhan wasn’t all that bad, especially in comparison to that demon of a brother he has. He had a sharp wit and a strong brain. He genuinely cared for others more than he did himself. When put like that, Luhan was actually pretty alright. Smiling slightly, Sehun glanced back at Luhan, who instantly began laughing at the sight of Sehun’s face.

“What?” He blushed, subconsciously touching his face.

“Your angry lisp is so precious.”