Part 2

Remember Me For Centuries

After the encounter with Hyukjae, Donghae strolled around Seoul until he found a quiet park where he spent the rest of the day. He settled on the fresh grass, on a sunny, secluded spot, and went over the Lee’s rich family tree until twilight. He didn’t find anything to aid him in his search for the book, but he did discover a family branch he didn’t even know existed.

 

By nightfall, he went to his parents’ house, and sneaked inside his former room without anyone noticing him. He was grateful his parents decided to keep his bedroom untouched even though he no longer lives there for decades.

 

The next morning has been quite frantic. Donghae sent the whole household into uproar when he came down from his room to have breakfast like nothing happened; his mother attached herself to him because of how much she missed him, the maids fussed over him, the chef cooked his favorite food, and his father – his father stood in the middle of the chaos, blinking, not understanding what was happening.

 

Donghae has missed his parents as much as they have missed their son, and he allowed himself to forget about the spell book for the time being and indulge in his parents’ love and care. They were both happy and healthy, just as he left them years before, but they inevitably started aging; a few wrinkles decorates his mother’s beautiful features, and white strands sneaked in between his father’s dark hair – reminding Donghae that even demonic creatures like them have an end, no matter how long it takes to reach it.

 

Now, after everyone calmed down and they had breakfast, Donghae tells his parents why he’s there. His mother is disappointed at him for giving in to Hongbin out of all people, especially since Donghae knows very well how deranged his cousin is. On the contrary, his father is delighted, excited even; he says it’s about time someone found that damn book and that Donghae is the only one entitled to have it. He also encourages his son to ask for any kind of help he needs.

 

Donghae takes this chance to ask about the newly discovered family branch. He takes out the family tree and shows it to his father. If there’s anyone who can enlighten Donghae about family matters, it’s his father – it’s his duty as the clan leader to know everything concerning the Lee’s, even about the most distant.

 

“Oh, those people?” The elder leans back in his chair with his arms crossed on his chest, a frown appearing on his forehead. “They are from your great grandparents’ part of the family. They dwell with the Kim’s mostly. You know your great, great grandmother, Yerim, had been a Kim before marrying Jaewon, right?” Donghae nods, his mind eating up every word his father utters. “Well, after Yerim ran away, some of the relatives from your great grandfather’s part of the family, who were very close to Yerim, blamed the main branch for what had happened, and turned towards the Kim’s.”

 

“They’re not bad people,” his mother says, feeling the need to defend them. “They took care of great grandfather Jaehwan when Jaewon died and Yerim run away with the book. Poor boy, he was only 11.”

 

"Maybe they can help me," Donghae says hopefully.

 

His father shakes his head. "Maybe they can, but I doubt they will. I told you, they're not fond of the main branch."

 

"But that was centuries ago, dear!" his mother protests. "Those who turned their backs on us are six feet under by now. I'm sure the younger generations don't have anything against us."

 

"You're right, honey. Well then," his father says cheerfully, "I'm going to send them a message to expect you one of these days."

 

"Thanks, dad!"

 

His father gets up, ruffles his hair lovingly - something Donghae is sure the elder will keep doing even after his son turns 100 - and goes upstairs to send the message.

 

His mother leaves her seat as well. "Come, let's move to the living room," she says, taking Donghae's hand.

 

They settle on the couch, and his mother asks one of the maids to bring tea and cookies.

 

"Now, tell me about you," she demands, clasping her hands around his. "It's been decades since you last visited, Donghae! I want to know what my son has been up to for so long!"

 

Donghae laughs softly and leans his head against his mother's shoulder. He has always been a mama's boy, and he only now realizes how much he has truly missed her. Nothing compares to a mother's protective wing, and he wishes he could stay like this forever. He can, he thinks, if he only allows himself to. But that's a problem for another time.

 

"I've been well, mother," he says. "I've been keeping myself busy with magic and runes. I found some old spell books in grandpa's attic and I have yet to master them."

 

"You and your magic," his mother sighs. "When will you start living your life, Donghae? Must I remind you we are not immortal and that half of your life is almost gone?"

 

Donghae frowns, his mother’s words suddenly reminding him why he left her side in the first place. "Magic is my life. We are warlocks. Magic is all we have."

 

The elder woman brings a hand to his hair and caresses it, and Donghae knows it’s an apology.

 

“We are warlocks,” she says, “but we are people as well. There is more to us than just magic. Don’t you think it’s about time you found someone and start a family?”

 

“I found a Seer!” Donghae exclaims, dismissing the topic of family.

 

His mother gasps, and a hand flies to . Donghae high-fives himself for successfully distracting her.

 

“Where?! When?!”

 

“Yesterday. I was looking for some maps at the library, and he came in - and he could see me! He talked to me!”

 

“And?” his mother asks, barely containing the curiosity.

 

Donghae lets out a heavy sigh as the previous day’s events flash before his eyes. “And … I made a fool out of myself.”

 

He tells her everything that happened (even about the poor woman he knocked out), and how he’s going to meet Hyukjae again later.

 

“He is so kind, mother! He helped me calm down and listened to everything I had to say – and he believed me! He didn’t say I’m a monster or a freak. He wasn’t frightened at all! And he even apologized for calling me a demon!”

 

“Oh, Donghae—”

 

“He said he’s going to show me the maps today! Well, he said maybe … but I’m sure he will! He’s a nice person, he won’t leave me hanging! I think he liked me anyway.”

 

“What?!” his mother squeaks.

 

“Not in that way!” Donghae is quick to mend the situation, although his reddening cheeks only make it worse. “I-I wouldn’t mind either way … he’s very handsome too!”

 

His mother looks at him with the most outraged expression Donghae has ever seen her wearing, and he suddenly wishes he were mute. The woman clears as if wanting to say something nasty, but stopping in the last minute, and Donghae wishes he were deaf as well.

 

“That’s – very nice, dear,” she mutters with a forced smile. “I’m happy you met a Seer. I know it was something you hoped to accomplish one day.” Donghae opens his mouth to thank her for the kind words, but she doesn’t allow him. “But now that you know where to look for the book next, there’s no need to meet him again, right? You don’t need those maps.”

 

“I guess not,” he mumbles. “I still want to see him again though!”

 

“Donghae!”

 

He lowers his eyes to the ground in shame, not standing the concerned look on his mother’s face. Donghae knows very well what she thinks about humans, Seers or not, and he also knows she can see right through him. There’s no point in hiding the fact he’s been completely charmed by Hyukjae the other day and that he can’t wait to see the man again. He doesn’t want to go against his family’s beliefs, and yet he doesn’t want to let go of Hyukjae either; because it’s the first time Donghae finds someone’s presence pleasant and the first time he doesn’t feel like running away from a conversation. He refuses to let this chance go – whatever this is.

 

“Donghae, Seers are not our friends. They’re—”

 

Seers?” his father’s voice comes from the hallway. Seconds later, the elder joins them on the couch. Donghae has never been happier to see his father; he knows he wouldn’t bear to hear whatever his mother wanted to say. “Why are you talking about them?”

 

“Your son encountered one yesterday,” his mother says; her voice sounds bitter and exasperated.

 

“Yes, I did,” Donghae interrupts before she can say anything more. “In fact, I’m going to meet him right now.”

 

He gets up and goes into his room, ignoring his mother’s calls. He grabs his compass and puts his jacket on, then returns downstairs, and leaves the house muttering a “See you at dinner.”

 

~*~

 

"What is wrong with you?" Donghae asks, shaking the compass. Its arrow has been moving like crazy ever since he left his parents' house, and it keeps moving even now as he waits for Hyukjae in the Maps and Geography section. "I don't want anything right now!"

 

Dismissing him completely, the compass continues its frenzy. Just when he's about to take the charmed object and slam it on the table, the door to the room opens. Donghae's body freezes and his ears perk up.

 

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Jang," he hears Hyukjae's deep voice. "How are you feeling today?"

 

"Hello, Hyukjae-ssi. I'm fine, just a little lethargic. I feel like I've been sleeping for years for some reason."

 

Donghae buries his face in his hands, wishing nothing more than the ground to swallow him. He is thankful the sofas are placed around the corner so he doesn't have to face Hyukjae.

 

"I'm sorry to hear that," Hyukjae says. "I hope you'll feel better."

 

"Thank you," the woman replies. "Are you going to be here for long?"

 

"I— hey!"

 

"What's wrong, Hyukjae-ssi?"

 

Joyful chirps chime throughout the room, and Donghae raises his head just in time to see the bird origami fly around the corner. It tweets louder when it sees Donghae, and lands on his shoulder. It rubs its head against the warlock's jaw, and Donghae giggles as he feels the tissue tickle his skin. He raises a finger and pets the bird, a beam blooming on his face because of the adorable origami; and also because Hyukjae kept it.

 

"Shikkeuro!" Hyukjae appears as well, a concerned frown on his handsome face. "Shikkeuro, I'll leave you home next time if you don't behave!"

 

The bird lets out a guilty tweet and flies on the man's shoulder.

 

"Do you want to get lost? I won't run after you, you know," Hyukjae scolds the tissue creature. His voice is threatening, but the tender finger that caresses the bird contradicts his words.

 

"You named it Shikkeuro? Really?" Donghae can't help asking, barely keeping his laughter in.

 

Hyukjae laughs quietly, and sits across Donghae. "It kept making noise last night. I could barely sleep."

 

"So you named it Shikkeuro," Donghae laughs too.

 

"What can I say, I'm not very creative."

 

They giggle like silly for a few moments, until Hyukjae clears his throat and says in an almost whisper: “We should tone it down a little. I don’t want Mrs. Jang to think I’m crazy … again.”

 

“Sorry about that,” Donghae mutters, feeling the need to apologize again. He doesn’t think he will ever get over the embarrassment of their first meeting.

 

“It’s okay, Donghae. Really,” Hyukjae reassures him. “I thought a lot about what happened yesterday after I got home, about you and what you told me. Everything felt surreal still, and I went to sleep thinking that when I wake up today all of it would’ve been just a dream. But it wasn’t - Shikkeuro was still chirping in my ear, and you were still on my mind.”

 

Hyukjae’s endearing words and eyes are more than Donghae can handle; they imply things he has always run away from, and although fleeing from this man is the last thing he wants to do, the warlock is not quite ready to openly embrace them either. And so, he decides to look away.

 

His eyes fall on the charmed compass, forgotten on the side of the table. Its arrow has stopped moving, frozen straight towards Hyukjae. Was it guiding Donghae to the human all along? Even the day before?

 

No, it can’t be …

 

The warlock chooses to ignore it.

 

“About those maps ...”

 

“Oh, right! I’ll get them,” Hyukjae says, already getting up.

 

“No, wait!” Donghae catches his arm. Hyukjae stops, waiting for the continuation. Before uttering anything more, the warlock jerks his hand away from the human, much like he did the day before. “I d-don’t need them any more.”

 

Hyukjae sits again, watching the warlock with hawk-like eyes. “You’re really scared of me, aren’t you?” he asks, his voice so slow and soft as if he fears every word he says will freak Donghae out even more.

 

Feeling guilty for making Hyukjae think that, Donghae forces himself to look straight at the brunet. He’s not scared of him, not even a bit. Why would he, when Hyukjae has been nothing but good-hearted to him? When the man’s eyes regard him with wonder rather than prying (as he has been taught to expect)? No, what Hyukjae makes him feel is not fear; it’s something that makes him stutter and fills him with anxiousness, but in a good way; it’s something thrilling and unique, a feeling his mother and grandmother often talk about, but one Donghae gave up long ago.

 

Maybe he is indeed scared, he admits as words get stuck in his throat; but not of Hyukjae - only of what Hyukjae makes him feel.

 

“I’m not afraid of you,” Donghae says, although his meek voice denotes otherwise. “It’s just that I’ve never talked to a human before ... I’m nervous.”

 

Hyukjae stares at him long, his eyes piercing into his very soul. "Why did you come then?" he asks. "If you don't need the maps and you clearly loathe my presence, why still come?"

 

"It's not like that!" Donghae jumps, alarmed that he insulted Hyukjae. "I don't loathe you at all! I just ... I'm nervous because I don't know how to act or talk around you ... because I've been taught humans despise my kind and you want us burning in hell."

 

"Donghae!" Hyukjae gasps.

 

His words came out harsher than intended, the warlock thinks as he watches Hyukjae's features twist into outrage. His brain stops working in that exact moment, causing more blabbers to rush out of his mouth. "I didn't mean to offend you! I don't think you're heartless or cruel! It's just that humans had done evil deeds to my kind in the past, and we couldn't do anything about it for a long time, even if you're mere mortals!"

 

Hyukjae frowns and opens his mouth, but Donghae does not give him the chance to say anything.

 

"Not that I think you're useless or insignificant!" he squeaks. "Y-you're really gentle and kind, and I'm very grateful for not treating me like an abomination! I came today because I enjoyed your presence yesterday, and I don't enjoy anyone's presence beside my family! I thought maybe you're ... I m-mean, people don't talk to me usually, but you did! I just wanted to see you again!"

 

In a moment of utter embarrassment, Donghae lowers his head and hides his face in his hands. Shikkeuro flies in his hair and leans down to peck his ear. He should give up trying to form social bonds, and stick to his animated friends, the warlock whines to himself as the bird comforts him with encouraging chirps.

 

Warm, tender hands pry Donghae’s off his face, rendering the warlock frantic. Hyukjae smiles broadly at him, and Donghae wonders why the man is still there; let alone smiling. He has clearly made a fool of himself - again. Yet, Hyukjae grins at him and holds his hands across the table as if they’ve been friends forever.

 

“Do you want to know why I came?” the man asks.

 

No, Donghae thinks. I want to disappear somewhere where no one can find me.

 

He nods though, willing his hands to not tremble in Hyukjae’s hold.

 

“I came because of you,” Hyukjae says. “Not because you’re a warlock, not because I think you’re some kind of alien, and not because I want to find out everything about your kind and use the information against you. Truthfully, I don’t care much about your magic. Yes, it is fascinating and intriguing ... but I find you even more so. I think you’re the most pure and adorable person I’ve ever met.”

 

Donghae gasps and moves away in panic. Hyukjae seems to have gotten used to his anxious outbursts though, and grips the warlock’s hands in his, refusing to let him go easily. Shikkeuro tweets angrily because of the commotion, almost falling from his head, but Donghae can’t bring himself to care about the tissue creature at the moment.

 

“Yesterday was the craziest day of my life,” the brunet goes on, “and the sensible thing for me to do was to go home and forget what happened. I couldn’t forget you though - I didn’t even want to. I came today, Donghae, because I wanted to see you again as well.”

 

And just like that, Donghae forgets to breathe.