Chapter 2

Please Take Care of Me, Hyung Umma

Chapter 2

Beep Beep Beep Beep

 

The boy genius slowly rose his head from the pile of homework on his study desk. His eyes went to the alarm clock reading 7:05.

 

Ah...man.” he arose from his chair and scrambled to get his things together into his folders and straight to his backpack laying next to his bed where he saw the sleeping trouble maker. That's when it sunk into his head that it was Saturday. He relieved that he was not going to be late to class but annoyed by the fact that his bully was still sound asleep. Kyungsoo had spent the whole night taking care of Kai that he barely could focus on his homework. When he dugged the papers from his folder that he had stuffed them in. Each worksheet had about one or two problems done. Usually he'd have homework done all on Friday. Then Saturday he spent his time doing extra credit then Sunday he would find his own personal homework to do. Textbooks, worksheets, research and studying was the only thing that matter to him. Playing doctor was scary to him. Yeah he had browsed online about Kai's condition and how to treat him but this was something that scared this textbook junky to death. He felt like he couldn't leave him alone for too long or something bad would happen. It wasn't like Kai was a baby..what was wrong with him?

 

Your fever seems to be gone.” he said to the sleeping boy as he touched his forehead. With the daylight shining through his window and onto Kai's face, he could now see the bruises more visually now. His bully looked terrible but at least the color in his skin was returning. Kyungsoo ignored the strange aching in his heart and left the room to get some water. He couldn't shake the feeling that today was going to be a long day.

 

 

Finally after calming himself he returned his thoughts on finishing his homework that he was late on completing; well late according to him. He was so absorbed that he failed to see the other was awake now and watching him.

 

Do you ever do anything else besides study?” Kai asked in a raspy tired voice.

 

Ah!” Kyungsoo screamed and nearly fell onto the floor. “Don't sneak up on me like that!”

 

I didn't sneak. If you were paying attention you would have noticed I've been standing here the whole time nerd.” Kai chuckled a bit before groaning in pain. He saw all the bandaids and bandages decorated across his wounded form. He blink in shock.

 

What happened last night?” his eyes went back to Kyungsoo.

 

I should be asking you that.” The brainy boy turn his eyes on a math problem he was solving.

 

Stuff..just the usual stuff. Hey uh..did you do all this?” Kai asked but the paler boy didn't respond. So he asked again and yet no response. So he figured a little punch on the head would get him an answer. Kyungsoo yelped out in pain and glared Kai down.

 

I asked you a question nerd, answer me.” Kai yelled.

 

You're in MY home, in MY room, in MY bed who do you think put MY first aid stuff on you.” he replied with his usual rude comebacks as he rubbed his head. “Since you're able to yell and punch me I think you're fine and can leave now.” Kyungsoo pointed to the door.

 

Kai paused for a moment in surprise that the little wimp actually took care of him. Memories of last night came back to him when he was running from some old enemies he ran into to. If Kyungsoo had not been there to help him hid he might have been killed. He wasn't sure. Kai didn't exactly want to give Kyungsoo all the credit for his survival. The bronze boy always considered himself to be invincible tough cookie making it out of any deadly situation with all his limbs. So he had no problem leaving he didn't need anyone to help him. Like the other he was his own best friend.

 

Just when he was going to make his own snappy remark before leaving he felt a wave of fatigue hit him and he fell to the floor faster than a sack of potatoes. Kyungsoo rushed to his side to help him up.

 

Help me ..get back to bed..and..let's pretend this..never happened.” he said slowly through his pain. It killed his pride having to depend on Kyungsoo but deep inside there was a familiar feeling that warmed a part of his soul. As much as he wished he could walk through that door and forget everything. He liked that someone was actually taking care of him even though they hated him. It still felt kinda nice.

 

Erasing already. Now shut up, rest and get better idiot. If you need anything..” he bit back the urge to vomit as he said the last bit of sentence as he eased Kai back into his bed. “don't hesitate to ask.

 

 

Kyungsoo ended up not keeping his promise at all. The whole weekend he ended up nursing Kai which meant that he only had time to finish his homework and nothing else. Not to mention that his bully kept asking for things every 5 seconds. Kyungsoo wanted to refuse but he couldn't he did everything Kai asked of him. He loathe that the other had taken so much of his time and space in his mind. As he was getting ready for school he let the other know how much of a distraction he was.

 

For the first time in forever Kyungsoo went to school with someone who happened to be his worst enemy.

 

You know you don't have to follow my path. There's other ways to school.” he growled at Kai who seem to find the whole thing amusing. “I thought you said we would pretend that I didn't play doctor for you.”

 

Kai didn't respond so Kyungsoo decided to push one of his buttons.

 

How about I tell everyone at school about how you beaten up and barely could take care of yourself and I nursed you back to health. Imagine how they'll react that the great powerful Kai was a weak little kitten.” he teased which earned him a punch. It was worth it for him though because finally the boy left his side.

 

 

 

The week resumed back to normal. Which was not really anything for Kyungsoo to proud about after all he was being surrounded by pigheads and all but at least he had his time to spend with what he loved the most. It was the last school day of the week and the nerdy boy decided to spend some after school time in the chemistry lab. The teacher allowed him to stay late after class to let him have fun with chemicals. He was so absorbed in it that he had not realized how late it was until the janitor peeped in on him.

 

Sorry..I'll be leaving in a moment.” He told the elderly man as he packed away his notes into his backpack and headed out into the night. Everything was quiet except for the bugs playing music and making noise in the air. It was relaxing and Kyungsoo found himself humming along. As he made it past several shops his humming slowed down as he approached an alley. It was tempting to take a shortcut through it but he knew of the dangers of this area. His eyes looked from the long way to the short way and back before deciding to make a quick run through it. His eyes didn't spot any delinquents lingering around. The path was crystal clear with only a street cat chasing a mouse raced by. Quickly he made his way past broken glass and trash to the other side that seem to be glowing with a bright light. Once his foot touched sidewalk again he sighed in relief.

 

I said where's my money?”

 

Kyungsoo stopped and stepped back into the alley peeking around the past the wall. It was too good to be true just when he thought he'd avoid trouble. Trouble found him. A few footsteps away was a gang of guys in leather jackets surrounding someone. He unwillingly listened to their conversion as he tried to figure out how to get past them without being seen.

 

Just give me a few days. I'll have it chill man. When have I ever let you down?”

 

His ears perked up as he heard what sound like a familiar voice. He focused now trying to identify who it was.

 

How about all da time.” There was a violent shoving noise. “ I gave ya plenty of time. I want my money now!”

 

Stuff happens man..you know. How about I give you a cookie if you give me more time.”

 

He knew who it was once he heard a chuckle. It was Kai and it sounded like he was in yet again fooling with danger and laughing like it's a joke. The pale boy was not shock to hear the sound of scruffily and fist clashing. Kyungsoo used this moment to head towards him home now but the sound of his bully's screams and body being tossed about bothered him.

 

Are you crazy..it's not like you can do anything. Just go home it's not your problem.” He told himself. “This is what he..” but what he heard next made his blood go cold.

 

I had a nuff of ya playing 'round. When peeps play around wit my money dey die.”

 

His mind went into autopilot searching for what to do. Facing those men would only get him killed so he used his cleverness as advantage. Quickly he installed an app that he had saw some dumb pigheads playing with in the hallway. With a click of a button from his phone the sound of a real police car siren was loud enough that it startled the gang. He could hear them rush off as he hid from their sight. Panic still remained in him as he race to see his bully's condition. Up against a dirty brick wall covered in graffiti was the other boy beaten, bruised with his bandages stained in blood. He was broken just like before and Kyungsoo couldn't believe that his enemy was alive. If he had not come along what would he really been able to survive a bullet or two? Kyungsoo couldn't understand why he even bother to save him. Kai would have just been another dumb idiot on the news . Another dead guy that no one would miss..like all the rest of the faceless people he saw. It was impossible for him to prevent that fate for Kai so why did he interfere?

 

“Kai..” he called out to him as he kneel down to see if the younger was conscious.

 

“Mom..you finally came back.” Kai mummered.

 

“Yah..I'm not your mom stupid. It's me.”

 

Kai's eyes finally focused on who was in front of him. The image of his mother had faded away and before him now was the last person he expected. The boy who's allowance money he stole every week was at his side yet again looking at him with those eyes only his mother ever gave him. It was confusing to him.

 

“Mom.” he said again believing that Kyungsoo was the illusion.

 

“I'm not your mom.” Kyungsoo tried to get the boy to snap out of it.

 

“Then why the heck are you helping me? No one cares about me but my mom. No one ever looks my way unless they want something.”

 

For the first time yet again this week Kyungsoo did something else new. He used violence. Probably not the smartest thing but he figured Kai wouldn't die from a hard slap.

 

“Wake up and look at my face. I am not your mom and to answer your question I don't know why I'm helping you. People like you die everyday. It's a waste of time for me and all of humanity to save you. Now because of you I'll probably not have time to do extra credit. Just die already I will not be giving up my weekends just to take care of you.”

 

Kai didn't say anything he still was in shock.

 

“Don't have anything to say, huh? Where's your snappy comeback?” Kyungsoo glared at him. Although he looked angry there still was that feeling of worried buried inside.

 

“No one is making you take care of me. Just leave.” Kai broke the stare down and looked at some nothing in particular.

 

Kyungsoo ignored him and instead pulled the boy up to stand. Kai whimpered in pain at the sudden movement. The elder boy apologized and tried to be gentle as he forced him to walk. He may have been weak but Kai could still get away right now if he wanted but something made him stay.

 

“You're weird.” The bronze skinned boy finally said when they were just outside Kyungsoo's home. Kyungsoo stopped right at the doorstep to give Kai an annoyed glare. “Who saves their bully but wishes them to die then takes them home and takes care of them like..like..”

 

“Like?” Kyungsoo awaited for Kai to finish his sentence but the boy went silent again. Seeing all the blood he quickly pulled the him inside to aid him. His mom wasn't home which was a relief. Kyungsoo had not desire to see her freak out again. He made Kai rest on the couch as he raced to get the first aid kit from the bathroom. His hands were quick to remove the old bandages and replace them with new ones after cleaning up the wounds.

 

“Are you hungry?”

 

“No.”

 

“Are you thirsty?”

 

“No.”

 

“Well go upstairs and go to bed I don't want you fooling around you understand, Kai?”

 

“Yes, mom.”

 

It took both boys a moment to realize what had just been said. Kyungsoo's eyes widen even larger than he knew they could go as his mouth dropped opened in both shock and disgust.

 

“Did you just call me mom?”

 

Author's Note

Finally an update after a million years. Sorry readers I had writter's block. Have a Happy New Year.