Wheein and Hyejin

Knight in Shining Armour

Wheein looked at her surroundings and soaked up the sun as it gently caressed her milky skin. She often sat out in the palace gardens on days where the grass looked comfier than her bed and the air smelt how she imagined happiness would smell.

She'd walk a fair distance away from the castle - away from her parents, sit down and just let her senses connect with nature, or she'd write or draw depending on her mood.

Recently her parents had been significantly more annoying than usual, so this time she took note to go just the extra bit further so it was even harder for her maid to find her when her parents eventually called for her. She loved her maid, Hyejin, she was more like a best friend than one of the castle staff, but if increasing the wait time for her parents was the only thing she could do, she would do it, even if it meant Hyejin walking a little further.

Wheein was that kind of girl.

The auburn Princess was coming up to her 21st birthday, and it was tradition that at that age each member of the Jung family found a Prince or Princess to marry, but Wheein didn't want it to be forced upon her. She had always hated the idea of the tradition and wished that she could be left alone to fall in love when the time was right, and with whomever fate paired her up with.

Lately her parents had been nagging her to think about any Princes she knew of that she'd like to marry; she was, after all, one of the most beautiful Princesses of all of the Kingdoms in the land, and therefore could pretty much marry any royal she wanted.

Every time her parents spoke about the tradition, she interjected with a nonsense sentence or just walked out of the room as if no-one had been speaking. She hoped that these tactics would help her parents to understand that she really did not want to be forced to marry anyone, but sadly, her parents ignored them and just kept pushing.

Wheein laid back on the soft grass, allowing her hands to the soft blades before coming across something that felt like a small daisy. She pushed her head back to try to take a look at the flower upside-down but it hurt her, so she decided to push her flexible body up into the crab position to get a better look.

Of course, she could have simply sat up and turned around, but she was that kind of girl. 

She could see the tiny daisy and smiled as the blood rushed down into her forehead before squinting at a figure jogging towards her in the distance. Forgetting that being upside-down was taking up a lot of her energy, she collapsed into a heap and immediately sat up to take a look.

It was her maid, Hyejin.

"Hello Hyejin!" Wheein called out.

"Good afternoon, your highness," Hyejin called back, bowing a little as she jogged.

"For God's sake, just call me Wheein!" the Princess hissed, "you don't need to do any of that pompous greeting when it's just me and you."

Hyejin approached her and looked down, "I know... but ever since," she paused.

"Yes yes, ever since my father screamed at you, you're scared somehow he'll hear and blah blah blah," Wheein continued, "my father doesn't spy on me, Hyejin-ah. Of course, he's totally obsessed with me, but he's not so much that he doesn't also love himself too much to bother about me sometimes."

Hyejin nodded meekly, her long blonde locks blowing gently in the breeze.

"You look really beautiful today," Wheein smiled as she stood up.

Hyejin blushed, "thank you, your-" she paused and looked around as if to confirm there were no other castle staff members around spying on them, "I mean... Wheein."

"Good."

The Princess began to walk towards the castle and Hyejin followed behind.

"They want me for something, right?" she asked, without even looking at the blonde girl.

"Yes," Hyejin began, "and I don't think you're gonna like it."

Wheein rolled her eyes, "they're seriously so relentless with this suitor crap. I'm getting real tired of it all."

Hyejin nodded sympathetically.

"You understand me when I say I just want to fall in love naturally, don't you?" Wheein asked, looking to her friend with sparkling brown eyes.

"I do."

"You get it when I say I can't be bothered finding some stupid Prince, don't you?"

"I really do."

Wheein sighed and stopped walking.

"Maybe I should just run away," the auburn girl suggested.

Hyejin opened to speak, but Wheein cut her off.

"Nah, I wouldn't be able to last one day without chef Yongsun's beef stew."

Hyejin laughed quietly, "it is good beef stew," she agreed.

"God, I'm hungry," Wheein stated, clutching her stomach with both of her hands.

"You have been out here for about four hours now," Hyejin paused, "Wheein."

"Really, that long?" she replied obliviously, "wow."

Hyejin nodded as they walked up the steps to the castle doors.

"Which room are they in?" Wheein asked politely.

"The family room," Hyejin replied.

Wheein nodded and looked around before hugging her friend.

"Tell Yongsun that I want some of that beef stew for dinner - I'm craving it now!" Wheein laughed.

"I will do exactly that," Hyejin giggled.

"Oh!" Wheein began, "and come by my quarters later - I think I'll need to rant after this talk with my parents."

Hyejin gave an understanding nod.

"I'll see you later."

Hyejin bowed to the Princess, "goodbye Wheein," she whispered with a smile.