Chapter 4

Of Fears, Bikes, Drums and A Grey Fur Ball

                Baekhyun had stated clearly that he didn’t want a fancy date. “Forget fancy dinners or romantic surprises because I don’t go for that . Try bringing roses and dressed in a tux and I will blow up those roses and burn the tux.”

                Chanyeol didn’t own a tux anyways, and he was afraid of getting kicked in the balls on his first date so he tried to keep it as simple as possible. They were gonna go and watch a flick, get something to eat and maybe play billiards or go bowling. Somehow it doesn’t feel much like a date and more like a ‘come on bro let’s go have a good time and hit up some chicks while we’re at it’ time but better this than injured ia.

                Baekhyun absolutely refused and forbid Chanyeol to even try and pick him up. He said they should meet up somewhere and travel together. The most obvious choice would be the university campus itself, even though it was out of the way.

                “People will never believe you when you tell them stories of this day.” Jongdae chewed on his apple as he watched Chanyeol try on different clothing.

                “You still don’t believe me, do you?”

                “I believe you, I just can’t understand why and how it’s happening.”

                “You know, I bet Baekhyun isn’t as scary as you think. I bet he’s just as normal as every one of us.”

                “I wouldn’t go that far. I just think he decided to play the pity game and throw you a hook because you look pathetic with those big eyes.”

                “Now you’re just being mean.”

                “If I wasn’t I wouldn’t be your friend.” Chanyeol stuck his tongue out at Jongdae and told him to watch out for Harry.

                The weather wasn’t as warm as Chanyeol had predicted. He had worn his sleeveless black shirt with the white cross (ironically, the same shirt he wore during his short-circuiting stunt) and washed out blue jeans. He had on a snapback and comfortable sneakers. It was simple and casual, hopefully it would be what Baekhyun wanted.

                “Hey Chanyeol.” Chanyeol whipped his head at the sound of someone calling him, and he tried to hide his smile when he saw that it was Baekhyun. He had a secret fear of being stood up, but watching Baekhyun on his bike waving him over made him feel at ease. Or maybe even more nervous because now he knew it was finally happening.

                “That doesn’t look like your bike.”

                “It’s not. It’s Kris. My bike can’t take an extra passenger.” Kris’s bike was even bigger than Baekhyun’s, and no less threatening. But there was something about its sleek surface and sophisticated structure that made it seem…y. If the bike was an actual person, Chanyeol would have ed him.

                But the person on the bike is even ier. With his hair swept back, eyes lined as usual for depth and tight leather pants hanging off his hips like it was made for him, he looked absolutely stunning. And to top it all off, instead of his usual all black ensemble, Baekhyun was wearing a red leather jacket this time.

                “We’re using your bike? I thought we were taking the bus?” Chanyeol asked, stopping just before him.

                “Oh please. Why would we do that when I’ve got the fastest ride in the whole town?”

                “But…I…”

                “Why? Are you scared?”

                “No, it’s just that…”

                “Get on and shut up.” Baekhyun tossed him a helmet and revved up the engine. The lights of the bike shone so bright it could be a spotlight and the sound was enough to terrify small animals in a 10 mile radius. Chanyeol breathed heavily before putting on the helmet and getting on.

                “Ready?”

                “Wait what should I do with my…” Chanyeol stared at his hands awkwardly. Should he put them on his lap, or on the empty spot behind him or…

                “Hang on tight.”

                “I…” Chanyeol couldn’t finish his sentence as Baekhyun released the brake and Chanyeol was propelled forward. His hands flew forward to grab Baekhyun’s hips and before he could even breathe, Baekhyun sped off onto the highway. Chanyeol could hear and see almost nothing except for the sound of the engine and the whirring air as they sped down the road and into the city centre. The lights seem to blur past him and his heart is thumping madly. Oh god, what if I die here?

                “You okay?” Baekhyun asked when they finally stopped at a red light in the city centre. Chanyeol breathed heavily through his mask as he tried to catch up with the lost air he missed.

                “I told you to hang on.” Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol’s arms around him to wrap around his waist a little tighter as the light turned green and they sped off again. They arrived at the theatre in no time at all and Chanyeol’s knees were terribly weak as he got off the bike.

                “You’re a little weak eh?” Baekhyun laughed, taking off his helmet and shaking his gorgeous locks while running a finger through them.

                “Excuse me if speed is not something I’m familiar with.” Chanyeol mumbled, taking off his helmet.

                “How was the ride?”

                “Life threatening.”

                “Fun?”

                “Hell yeah.”

                Chanyeol and Baekhyun decided to watch the new horror movie, mainly because all other shows were sold out and Baekhyun didn’t want to decide. To be honest, both boys are very easily terrified but for the sake of looking impressive somehow, they decided not to show it to anyone.

                It didn’t last too long though. 15 minutes in and Chanyeol could feel himself dying from a heart attack. Baekhyun covered his eyes with his hands and Chanyeol cleared his throat, pretending he was okay. 30 minutes later, all hell broke loose when Chanyeol screamed for the first time.

                “Are you scared?” Baekhyun asked him.

                “Huh? Er…I…”

                “AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!” Baekhyun screamed this time and the bag of popcorn in his lap nearly flew off. He buried his face in his hands and curled up sideways. The sound of the movie was terrifying and at the next sound, both Baekhyun and Chanyeol jolted in their seats.

                In the midst of the terror and the screaming, Baekhyun’s hand flew to grab Chanyeol’s. By the next blood-curling scream, their hands were gripping each other’s tightly. And by the end of the movie, their fingers were interlaced.

                “That was terrifying.” Baekhyun groaned as he threw his soda can in the trash. “Why did we agree on seeing this?”

                “There was no other movie left.” Chanyeol sighed. “Please let’s not do this again.”

                “I second that.” Baekhyun sighed and breathed heavily. They walked out the theatre and into the bright lights and sounds of the mall.

                “I’m gonna go to the bathroom.”

                “I’m gonna go get some stuff from the music shop.”

                The two were about to part ways when they felt something tugging them. They looked back to find that their hands are still tightly interlaced. Baekhyun felt his cheeks heating up and Chanyeol started to stammer again.

                They slowly let their fingers go and separated their sweaty hands. Baekhyun wanted to just leave but then he decided to stop for a while. “You’re sure you don’t need a pee?” he asked.

                “I guess it wouldn’t hurt.” Chanyeol shrugged, going back to Baekhyun’s side and casually slid his hand in Baekhyun’s.

                It was a loose grip and more of a touch, but Baekhyun didn’t tell Chanyeol to off.

                Baekhyun was the one to suggest where they should have dinner. He said he knew a place that served good food not too far away. Not too far away meant that they didn’t need to sit on that bike for too long, which Chanyeol thought was a sad thing, because he was really looking forward to holding onto Baekhyun a little longer.

                “Hey B! Your usual spot?” the owner of the small restaurant called, giving his best customer a smile. Baekhyun nodded in approval while giving a thumbs up. Chanyeol ducked his head through the door and saw all the other compatriots dressed in leather and carrying helmets too. Holy , it’s a biker’s restaurant.

                “Come on in.” Baekhyun beckoned him and Chanyeol entered awkwardly. He stuck out like a terribly sore thumb due to his lanky frame and mismatched clothing. The other customers seem to recognise Baekhyun as they all raised their heads and nodded in greeting. Baekhyun even gave one of them a high five.

                “You must come here often.” Chanyeol asked. No duh.

                “Almost every day. This is a very popular biker’s spot because it’s right off the highway.”

                “So what do they serve here?”

                “Good old hot pot and barbeque pork. Up for it?”

                “Anything.”

                Over dinner, Chanyeol found himself more comfortable with his surroundings and started talking freely. Baekhyun let his guard down a little and started to actually enjoy himself.

                “So what is it about big bikes and fast speeds that you like so much?” Chanyeol asked.

                “Well,” Baekhyun pondered for a minute. “You’re a musician right? Do you know those instances when you’re listening to music and it feels like you’re floating? You’re in the zone and you can’t feel or hear anything except the music?”

                “Yeah?”

                “It’s like that for me when it comes to bikes.” Baekhyun answered. “When I’m speeding down the highway, I feel free. There are no worries, stress or troubles. Just me, my bike and the open road.”

                “It gives you a nice adrenaline rush eh?”

                “Yeah,” Baekhyun smiled fondly.

                “What about the rumours of you being involved with the underground society?”

                “Those aren’t rumours, they are true.” Baekhyun played with his cup. “But it’s not like I live there. I have a life outside of that. I’m a university student with student problems like you. I hate homework, I struggle with deadlines and I just wanna lay in bed and watch Youtube videos of cats all day.”

                “You like cats eh?” Chanyeol smiled a little, thinking of Harry.

                “I had a lot of them when I was young.”

                “What happened then?”

                “I gave them to the pound. When my parents passed I couldn’t afford to keep them.”

                Chanyeol nodded sympathetically. “That’s alright, you can come over anytime and play with Harry!”

                “But Harry’s your cat.”

                “I wouldn’t have met Harry if it wasn’t for you that night. And Harry likes you too.”

                “That would be nice.” Baekhyun smiled as he poured some more water for himself. Chanyeol looked up at that beautiful smile and felt certain it was for him this time.

                “Kris claims he is in love with Tao.” Baekhyun scoffed while telling Chanyeol a little more about his complicated relationship with the tall man.

                “What’s so surprising about that?”

                “Kris is incapable of love. He has had more lovers than Kim Kardashian has shoes and he’s probably got a list of illegitimate kids long enough to make an army by now.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “I’ve never seen him wanting to even go on a third date, much less thinking about starting an actual relationship.”

                “It’s possible you know,” Chanyeol chewed on his meat. “To be in love even after having so many suitors.”

                “I don’t know.”

                “Have you ever been in love?”

                “If I did I wouldn’t know how it feels.”

                “You’ll know.”

                “How?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol merely shrugged.

                “I don’t know myself. But I think its instinct. You just know.”

                “Well thank you for being accurate.”

                “Sarcasm befits you Baekhyun.”

                “Are you sure? Kris told me I was very good at it.”

                And for the first time, they laughed together.

                After dinner (in which they decided to go Dutch on, even though Chanyeol wanted to pay for them), Chanyeol thought they should go play billiards. Baekhyun’s eyes widen at this one. “You play billiards?”

                “Yeah. Do you?”

                “Yes I do, and I’m pretty good at it.” He replied smugly, lips forming into a cheeky grin.

                “We’ll see about that.” Chanyeol smirked back. A little friendly competition shouldn’t hurt.

                The billiards place was only walking distance from the restaurant. The weather got chillier upon exiting the restaurant and Chanyeol could feel the hair on his arms sticking up. Baekhyun noticed his subtle shiver.

                “Are you cold?” he reached out to touch Chanyeol’s arm.

                “Nah, I’m good.”

                “Liar.” Baekhyun proceeded to take off his own red jacket but Chanyeol stopped him. “No, then you’ll get cold. I’m fine really.”

                “Hang on.” Baekhyun ran back to his bike and pulled something from under the seat. It was a long scarf. He handed it to Chanyeol. “Kris uses this when he’s on the road and he needs something to cover up. It should hold you.”

                “What’s with the red splotch there?” Chanyeol asked as he wrapped himself in it.

                “Let’s not go there.” Baekhyun shook his head and they proceeded to head to the billiards place. Chanyeol decided not to know about the scarf anymore.

                “You’re not half bad.” Chanyeol complimented when Baekhyun opened for them.

                “Told you I was good.” Baekhyun blew off the top of his cue as Chanyeol took his shot.

                “You’re not the only one.” He said as the red ball went down. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol expectantly.

                “Winner pays for the next date.” He wagered.

                “There’s a next date?” Chanyeol’s eyes widened as he sharpened his cue stick.

                “Depends on how well you do now.”

                “So how am I looking so far?”

                “You stand a pretty good chance.” Baekhyun said as he shot a blue ball down. Chanyeol took his stance and with a carefully aimed shot, he sent two balls down.

                “And that shot just solidifies the next date.”

                “How can you be so sure?”

                “You know, you’re just as bad a liar.” Chanyeol commented.

                “Why?”

                “You act like you don’t want a next date.”

                Baekhyun tucked his hand under his jacket again and looked down. Chanyeol looked at him and wondered if he was okay. He seemed to be in pain. “Hey, Baekhyun I…”

                “Well, well, well…” both boys whipped their heads at the source of the sound. Chanyeol took a few steps back when he saw a bunch of guys coming towards them. They were dressed in torn jeans and old-school T-shirts. One of them hung a cigarette from his lips as he made his way towards them. “Nice to see you back at the old joint. You been doing well Baekhyun?”

                “I’m just fine Suho. Thanks for asking.” Baekhyun merely gave the man a glance and continued with his own game.

                “Still playing toy to old Kris? Last time I saw that man he was bragging about how tight you were.” Suho smirked as soft giggles could be heard from the other boys behind him. Chanyeol wanted to step up but Baekhyun had beaten him to it.

                “No, he’s ing your ex now. Remember Tao?”

                If there was ever a time so perfect to use the phrase “BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN” it would be then. Chanyeol, while trying to hold his laughter, watched Suho’s expression harden as he finished off his cigarette and snubbed it with his foot.

                “Remember the rounds we used to play? How about one more eh? 2 vs 2.” Suho offered, grabbing a cue stick for him and his partner. Baekhyun glanced at Chanyeol. He leaned forward to whisper.

                “We don’t have to do this. I could just come back here some other day and finish him off myself.”

                “No no it’s okay. That er was so rude to you. You can’t just leave it here. Let’s show him what we’re made of.”

                The two of them exchanged glances for a minute. Suho tapped his foot impatiently. “You and your boyfriend wanna play or what?”

                “Fine. We’re gonna win anyways.” Chanyeol noticed that Baekhyun didn’t deny their relationship.

                “Don’t go running to Kris if I beat your sorry .”

                “You should be worried if I do. He’s gonna come and kick your sorry then.”

                Suho and his partner by the name of Lay, started off first. They were pretty good, but Baekhyun and Chanyeol were confident that they were better. It was a tight game, and when Chanyeol slipped up, he can feel his confident drifting when he missed his shot.

                “.” He cursed.

                “Its fine, I can cover you.” Baekhyun said, reaching out to pat Chanyeol’s back.

                With one last shot by Baekhyun, the game was over. Suho and Lay sighed and groaned in disappointment while Chanyeol let out a loud “WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!” Baekhyun smiled smugly as he put his cue stick on the table.

                “So, am I still supposed to run to Kris now?”

                “ off Baekhyun.”

                “With pleasure.” Baekhyun grabbed Chanyeol’s hand and the two of them left the parlour. They were holding in their laughter and by the time they came out, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were laughing so hard.

                “That was fun! I cannot believe we beat them, they were really good though!” Chanyeol laughed so hard his eyes crinkled up.

                “You should have seen the look on their faces! Suho looked pathetic!”

                “Oh my god and that shot that you made at the end? That was perfect!”

                They held hands as they walked back to Baekhyun’s bike. The night was slowly becoming perfect.

                Baekhyun was in a good mood, so he dropped Chanyeol off at the university dormitory. It was already past midnight, yet it felt like two seconds ago he just saw Baekhyun pull up in his bike.

                “I had fun tonight.” Chanyeol said as he returned the helmet.

                “Yeah, it was fun.” Baekhyun smiled.

                “So we can do this again?”

                “I thought I’m only giving you one shot?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.

                “Come on, this is too good to only be a time thing. Let’s go out together again.” Chanyeol said, putting one arm behind Baekhyun on the bike and the other on the handle.

                “I don’t know…” Baekhyun looked down again. He tucked his hand under his jacket again.

                “Baekhyun are you okay? You’ve been doing that all night.”

                “It’s fine. I think I might have hypertension or something. My heart rate has been too fast lately.” Baekhyun massaged that area of his chest repeatedly.

                “Really?” Chanyeol leaned forward and placed his hand on Baekhyun’s, trying to feel his heartbeat against his hand. Baekhyun jerked backwards and had to refrain from falling backwards. Chanyeol’s eyes moved up, and he could see a faint pink tint growing on the biker’s cheeks.

                “Are you blushing?”

                “Wha…what? No…no…”

                “Yes you are! Look at you! You’re blushing!”

                “No I’m not!” Baekhyun protested, bringing his hands to his face. Chanyeol laughed softly.

                “God you’re cute.”

                “I’m not…”

                “I don’t think I can take this any longer.”

                “Chan…” the next word died on his lips as he felt Chanyeol’s warm kiss on his lips. The rocker moved closer and pulled Baekhyun towards him. Baekhyun’s eyes were open in shock as his lips stayed still. His heart was at maximum pumping speed and he felt like he was going to combust.

                Baekhyun has been kissed before, but never quite like this. The kisses he was used to were rough and wet, but this was just…warm and nice. He felt his eyes flutter close and his hand pull up to Chanyeol’s neck as his lips opened to melt into Chanyeol’s. They were so close, and he could feel Chanyeol’s heartbeat through his thin shirt, beating in time with his own.

                When they parted, they could still feel each other’s heartbeat. Chanyeol looked at the beautiful boy before him, lips parted, pink and full. His eyes were glassy and clear and his long slender fingers on Chanyeol’s shoulder.

                “I don’t think you have hypertension.”

                “I don’t?”

                “No, I think you’re in love. As am I.”

                Baekhyun’s eyes fluttered a little before he pulled Chanyeol to him again and kissed him. Chanyeol’s lips seem to know Baekhyun’s by now as they melted together once more, his arms pulling the biker closer to him.

                “I cannot believe this.” Jongdae dropped his jaw as he watched the couple from their dorm window. Harry was in his arms, mewling away. Harry was scratching the glass and mewling as loud as possible. If you looked a little closer, Harry was smiling.