Chapter 1

Of Fears, Bikes, Drums and A Grey Fur Ball

                “Oh my god oh my god, run run run he’s here!!” the freshmen of EXO-U, (as Chanyeol calls, the new fishes) start running away from the front door. From the gust of wind that they leave behind as they high-tail it down the corridor, there is only one person who could instil such fear in the new fishes.

                His name is Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun. Dressed head to toe in leather and spiky boots and a red “ off” shirt under his leather jacket. Heavily eye-lined eyes and a helmet under his arm, he made his way through the steps of the university’s main building and through the front doors. Everyone else either stares or turns away from him. It’s like he’s Medusa, with one look and you’ll turn into stone.

                “Turn your head you idiot! Don’t look at him!” Jongdae turned around immediately before slapping his friend on the arm. Chanyeol refuses to turn and just stares at the biker rebel making his way down the corridor. His big eyes would have made him look like a stalker but thankfully Baekhyun doesn’t notice and just walks on, or else Chanyeol wouldn’t have eyes next time.

                “You are an idiot you know that?” Jongdae said after meekly turning his head and hitting his friend again.

                “I know. You’ve told me that so many times.” Chanyeol simply put his stuff in his locker.

                “I don’t understand your fascination with that monster. Does he not scare the bloody out of you? Didn’t you hear about that freshman kid who sat in his place in class? An hour later his car disappeared.”

                “Those were just rumours. You have no proof.”

                “The car was found 10 miles outside of town, wrapped in toilet paper with the words ‘Don’t mess with Byun’ scribbled all over.”

                “It could have been anyone.”

                “You really are an idiot.”

                It’s true. Baekhyun is not the nicest kid on the block, or maybe even in the country. No one knows much about Baekhyun, aside from the fact that his lover/owner/daddy/master/ whatever it is, is an underground mafia boss and he wears nothing but leather. His eyes are always heavily made up and his bike, a Yamaha something (no one knows because no one has even seen it) is like a big black monster. His bike, is his baby. No one is allowed to touch it. Once some kid tried that, and according to Jongdae, the next day the kid didn’t show up. There was a rumour he was spotted in Mexico growing coffee beans, but nothing was ever confirmed.

                Baekhyun is scary. Baekhyun is tough. Baekhyun is intimidating. Yet he is also extremely y. In such a way that Chanyeol can’t take his eyes off him. In fact, he has had a crush on him for a long time now.

                Chanyeol is a rocker who is fairly popular in EXO-U. He’s a talented musician with a flair for showmanship. He’s known for breaking his drum sticks half-way through a performance and one of his shirts popping up when he’s rocking out with the guitar. Once, during last year’s summer party, he put his drumsticks down half way and guzzled down a bottle of water, pouring the remaining on his own body and the drums. It drove the crowd crazy, especially when the water short-circuited the PA system and soon the lights and sounds in the hall went off. All you could hear was the drums played by who is forever known from then as ‘Psycho Yeol’.

                Psycho Yeol and Biker Baek really don’t have anything in common, except for being well known. They seem to be from opposite worlds, yet there is something about Baekhyun that drew Chanyeol in. Chanyeol is an open book and Baekhyun is that big black book on the top of every shelf that people struggle to reach but fail. Chanyeol believes he has a shot in grabbing that book because he’s tall enough.

                Jongdae thinks he has a better shot falling off that book shelf.

                That afternoon, while passing by Baekhyun’s history class, Chanyeol caught Baekhyun looking out the window and day-dreaming away. He was outside playing Frisbee with Jongdae when he turned and saw Baekhyun looking up at the sky through his class window. When he’s dreaming, his heavily made-up eyes don’t seem so scary any more. Chanyeol put the Frisbee down and waved at Baekhyun, smiling his Grade A smile with his teeth shining so brightly it could be its own headlights. Baekhyun’s eyes darted down for a minute before looking back at his books again.

                “Forget it Yeol, there is no way you have a shot with Baekhyun. He sees right through you for heaven’s sake. Plus he’s most likely to kill you first before loving you.”

                “Being sceptical won’t get you anywhere Jongdae. How would you like it if I said the same thing to you when you’re with Minseok?”

                “There’s a difference. Minseok is the shy engineering kid while Baekhyun is the mafia’s boy.”

                “They’re still boys.”

                “Minseok wouldn’t kill a fly much less me. Baekhyun on the other hand…”

                “I get the point.” Chanyeol threw the last of his Frisbee throws and grabbed his bag. He didn’t feel like talking to Jongdae anymore. He caught one more glance at Baekhyun’s gorgeous side profile and sighed.

                Maybe Jongdae had a point.

                That night, Chanyeol went out to get some more guitar strings. He walked along the Han River, enjoying the beautiful scenery and the smell of the food from the stands nearby. As he was walking, he saw a group of people under the bridge. The sound of whirring bikes in the opposite direction caught his attention and he stopped in his tracks.

                A group of men and women dressed in black leather with tattoos on their arms, legs and somewhere very low on a woman’s back. One of the men seemed to tower over everyone else. And quite literally too because he was very tall, possibly even taller than Chanyeol. Chanyeol was the tallest kid in school and he has hardly ever met people who are taller than him.

                The sound of their chattering and laughing is indistinguishable, but it doesn’t take a genius to note that half of them are drunk and high on something. The tall dude was leaning against the wall with his arms around another tall male. That other guy looked like he just popped out of a Japanese ninja movie. With his almond eyes and furrowed eyebrows and his toned arms peeking out of his leather vest, his hands seemed to be flinching every now and then, like a fighter forever on fight mode. The Tower Guy wiped something off the Ninja Boy’s face and leaned in to kiss him. Which looks a lot like trying to his tongue out rather than just kissing.

                Chanyeol dared himself to go closer. He stepped forward and stopped there, then he leaned against the railings pretending to busy himself with his phone. He turned every now and then and spotted a smaller boy. He knew that smaller boy. Baekhyun.

                Baekhyun was here with his gang. Chanyeol almost quivered and dropped his phone in the lake. No one has ever seen Baekhyun with his gang before, but now Chanyeol has. He stood there, contemplating on running away because what if someone saw him? What if they hate stalkers or passer-by’s who interrupt their moments and decides to just toss him in the river? And Chanyeol isn’t a very good swimmer.

                While thinking of 100 ways to be killed by a gang, Chanyeol turned to look at Baekhyun, who’s obviously giddy from a few cans of beer. He’s giggling about something while one of the girls lean over to giggle with him. The girl leans in to kiss his cheek and Baekhyun laughs about something.

                Great, so he’s straight. Chanyeol sighed. There was no point staying anymore and he was just about ready to go when he heard the sound of the whirring bikes again. Seems the group is getting ready to disperse. The girl who kissed Baekhyun got on the bike behind some other dude and the Tower Guy walked towards Baekhyun. He kissed Baekhyun lightly on the lips and pat his a little, arms still wrapped around Ninja Boy.

                Okay, so maybe he’s not exactly straight.

                Tower Guy and Ninja Boy rode off, leaving Baekhyun and his bike under the bridge. He gurgled down the remaining beer in the can and scrunched it up before tossing it somewhere. Baekhyun waddled or swayed himself over to a patch of grass next to the bridge and laid down. He seemed to be too intoxicated to move.

                Seoul is no stranger to stray cats or animals. One of the cats climbed up down the bridge and passed by Baekhyun, mewling away. Baekhyun opened one eye and patted the cute cat. The cat Baekhyun’s finger as the biker his side to let the cat his hand.

                If Chanyeol had a camera he would take a shot of this. Or maybe even 1000 of them and blow them up real big and frame it in his room. This was a side of Baekhyun he had never seen, and probably neither has anyone else. Byun Baekhyun playing with a cat. And he’s smiling and chuckling. God he does have a beautiful smile.

                The cat spotted Chanyeol and ran down towards him. Chanyeol panicked, thinking that Baekhyun would come after it. The cat mewled at Chanyeol’s foot and Baekhyun indeed sat up to watch the cat. Their eyes finally met and Chanyeol could feel his heart stopping.

                Baekhyun narrowed his eyes. “Do I know you?”

                “We go the same uni together. I’m Park Chanyeol.”

                “Yeah I was right, I don’t know you.” He laid back down again.

                Now, usually Park Chanyeol had two choices. He would either walk up and strike another conversation, or just leave the person alone. Previous experiences tell Chanyeol to do the former, but this is Byun Baekhyun. And Baekhyun is unlike anybody he has ever fallen in love with before.

                With the cat mewling at his feet, Chanyeol debated between walking up to him and talking to him or leaving him alone. He was so engrossed in his own problems he didn’t even hear Baekhyun getting up and running towards a nearby trash can to throw up.

                “Baekhyun! Are you okay?” He patted the boy’s back as he threw up all his stomach contents. It smelled horrible and the sound was even worse. Chanyeol felt like throwing up himself but he held on anyways. Baekhyun lifted his head and wiped his mouth with his sleeve. He panted heavily and shrugged Chanyeol’s hand off his back.

                “I’m fine.” He staggered and made his way back to his bike. “Wait! You can’t possibly go back like this! Take the taxi or something!”

                “And leave my bike here? You must be off your rocker.”

                “But but…” Baekhyun started the bike and left Chanyeol sputtering away in the cloud of smoke that he left behind. There was nothing left to see because Baekhyun sped off at such an incredible speed.

                Well that was great. I finally get to talk to the man of my dreams and he’s drunk, throws up and leaves me gasping for air.

                The cat is still mewling away. “Go home cat.” Chanyeol told the cat but his long tail curled around Chanyeol’s leg and it rubbed himself against it. Chanyeol picked up the cat and cradled it in his arms.

                He’s a er for cute animals and bad- biker boys.