The Call

Tangled

 

 

 

“Hyoyeon I swear if I see you play one more game on my phone before your homework is finished I’m never bringing you with me again.”

“But unnie~,” she whined.

“No buts Hyo. I’ll make you stay at the after school studying sessions instead if that’s what you-“

“Ani,” she said quickly. “I’ll do it.” I smirked.

I knew she hated going there.

“You better,” I said before setting a tray down on the counter where Sooyoung was waiting for me. “I need two strawberry smoothies and one green tea latte.”

“Yes ma’am,” she said with a salute. I grinned.

It was a busy evening at the cafe, but having my best friends all around definitely helped.

Yoona’s family owned a chain of cafés and restaurants around Korea and even a few in Japan.

It was a rather large chain.

I wanted to get a job to help my mom out a little so when I asked Yoona, she suggested we all get jobs.

Because this café was so close to our school, and due to the fact that Yoona asked her father for us, the four of us worked part time at the café together and tonight was one of the lucky nights where we all worked the same shift.

Sooyoung’s parents hated the idea of her working at first, but she eventually talked them in to it. Yuri’s parents welcomed it; actually if she hadn’t gotten a job here she would have been working as an intern at her family’s company.

At least now she gets paid.

Yoona’s parents expected it, I mean she was supposed to go into the family business after all; and my mom needed it.

We were barely making enough to pay the bills each month as it is, I don’t know what would happen if I quit working here.

 I sat down on one of the stools while Soo started making the drinks for the customers, but was quickly nudged by Yoona.

“Unnie someone else just sat in your section.” I sighed. I just wanted to take a minute to rest, but we were very, very busy I guess...

“Okay, thanks Yoong.” She smiled before walking off with a tray full of food.

I quickly went and took the newly arrived group’s orders at table number two, but as I walked back to the counter something definitely caught my eye.

That little .

“Yah,” I hastily whispered once I reached the bar. “Kim Hyoyeon didn’t I just-”

“You’re getting a call,” she said innocently after setting down the phone like it was on fire.

Whoops.

“Oh… okay. From?” She shrugged.

“I dunno, it just says unknown caller,” she replied while looking at the screen.

Aish… if it was an unknown caller it usually meant only one thing.

They wanted money.

Bill collectors always called on blocked numbers… like we wouldn’t catch on or something.

Ugh, I don’t know how they got my number, but I wasn’t planning on figuring out either.

“Yah, just take care of it like you do at home.” She grinned.

“Really?” I hummed. “Seriously unnie?”

“Yeah Hyo go ahead,” I grinned.  “I don’t know who it is.”

“Assa~,” she cheered. She really loved taking these calls…

“Here are those drinks Taeng.”

“Ah, okay thanks Soo. Here’s the next order,” I said as I handed her the slip. I put the drinks on my tray and walked away just as I heard Hyoyeon answer the phone.

“Wéi? Ah… nǐ hǎo,” I heard her say in her best Chinese accent. A few seconds later I heard her burst into her little raspy laugh and couldn’t help but smile.

She’s something else alright…

I don’t know how I thought it up but I had the idea to answer these calls like this about a year or so ago and Hyoyeon thought it was the funniest thing in the world. Which I mean it was pretty funny… The bill collectors on the other end always got so~ confused. I could barely keep myself from laughing sometimes.

Not only was it funny though, it kept them from calling for a few more days because they thought they mixed our numbers up or something.

It was a win-win situation, but it was especially winning for Hyoyeon. She loved taking the calls and practicing her foreign languages… but she mainly loved confusing the hell out of people.

She was such a brat sometimes, but I guess she did learn that one from me…

Oh well!

I took the customers drinks to them and checked on a few more people before coming back to the counter where Hyoyeon was still on the phone… holy, still?

I wonder-

“Ah hai, moshi moshi,” Hyo said in Japanese.

Wait? Japanese?

Oh god…

That tiny idiot, you can’t just switch languages mid call! That totally gave it away.

Ugh, she-

“Omo. Unnie, this person is actually Japanese,” she said to Sooyoung with a completely shocked expression. I watched her end the call and sighed.

“Hyo~,” I groaned. “You know you can’t just hang up on them like that and you especially can’t switch languages mid-call pabo, that gives it away!”

“I didn’t unnie.” Huh? “They called back,” she explained. I-

What?

They called back… and spoke Japanese?

That made no sense whatsoever.

Who the hell was calling me?

I didn’t know anyone in Japan and I know for damn sure we don’t owe any money to anyone there so why would they be-

BUZZ~

My phone vibrated again and Hyoyeon’s eyes widened.

“See~, they’re calling again… Should I try English this time,” she asked evilly. I shook my head. If it was important enough to call back three times in a row, I figured I might as well get to the bottom of it.

“No, I’ll answer it… and besides your English is horrible,” I teased.

“It is not~,” she argued, but I would beg to differ.

“Uh-huh, okay. Give me the phone.”

“Nope, I’m gonna answer it now,” she said before hitting the green-Oh my god!

“Yah! Give me th-”

“Hello~,” she cooed. “How ah yew?” I made a grab for the phone but that squirt moved just before I could reach her. She- “Ah, ne?”

Oh good grief she switched languages again…

 “You can’t just do that pabo,” I said angrily. “I- Ahha,” I cheered as I successfully snatched the phone from her hand. I quickly walked toward the backroom since I wasn’t supposed to be on the phone in front of customers and put the phone to my ear. “Yebose-“

“Yah~,” someone shouted on the other end, cutting me off. “We know you’re Korean! Just put Kim Taeyeon on the phone!”

Heol… whoever this was, was super mad.

Well I guess I would be too if an eleven year old was answering the phone in everything but Korean… I really wasn’t sure how they knew my name though, or why they wanted to talk to me so badly… aigo!

Here goes nothing.

“This is her,” I said after clearing my throat.

“I- uhm, what?!” Her voice got high pitched for a second and I smirked.

They must not have expected that.

“This is Kim Taeyeon, sorry about all that before my little sister had my phone… May I ask who’s calling?” I heard some rustling around, but no voices… Uhm. “Hello?”

“Ah-ah, ne. This is Tiffany Hwang and I-”

Okay I had to stop her there.

“Psht, okay… and I’m Lee Hyori.”

Wow, this person called back three times just to prank me?

That’s what I call dedication right there… I’d also call it annoying.

“Right, I know how this sounds, but I really am her.” I laughed.

Whatever, I guess I could humor them for a minute.

“Okay, and to what do I owe the pleasure Tiffany Hwang-ssi?”

I was trying to think about who could be pranking me, but I honestly had no idea. I mean the two idiots that would be are here working with me so I know it couldn’t be them. Besides, those two also know I’m not a fan of Tiffany so they already knew this would get no kind of ridiculous reaction from me.

What was going on?

“I called to personally tell you that Hyoyeon has won Honorable Mention in my Dance Cover Contest,” the voice announced. I-

Wait.

No one besides my friends knew that Hyoyeon had even entered that though…

“And as the Honorable Mention winner she will receive four backstage passes and tickets to my concert in Seoul next weekend.”

As I listened to her voice it did sound pretty similar to the one I hear all the time on commercials and coming from Hyoyeon’s radio...

Heol… was this really her?

“Wa-wait, you’re actually…,” I trailed off. I didn’t even want to say it.

It didn’t make sense.

“Yes, Kim Taeyeon-ssi,” she responded. “If it helps, I’m pretty sure you were the one that cursed out the security team at a fan-signing last week, am I right?”

Oh .

It was her.

Even though I’m not a crazy obsessed fan like Hyoyeon or Soo, it still felt a little weird to talk to such a high profile celebrity on my cell phone… hell, in general really. At the fan signing thing it was one thing; I mean we waited in line to talk to her… like an attraction at a zoo or something.

It was something shiny and pretty to go look at for a second and tell our friends about later, but this… it felt awkward for sure.

She was worth billions of dollars and here I was working so we could keep our electricity on next month…

What do I even say to her?

“Ah, uh n-ne… sorry,” I apologized. I didn’t know what else to say.

“Don’t worry about it,” she said back happily. “I thought they were rude too so thanks. It really made my day.” I smirked.

I wonder what her fans would say if they knew their precious Tiffany was thanking someone for cursing her security team…

Ugh, idols.

I heard someone call my name in the café so I’m assuming I was needed as soon as possible out there. Another customer must have come in or something. I don’t know, I just needed to speed this conversation up; Tiffany Hwang or not.

“Uh, so about Hyoyeon,” I questioned. “I’m kind of busy here…”

“Oh right! Uhm, would it be easier to just text the information to you then? I don’t want to hold you up.”

Heol, why didn’t I think of that?!

“Actually yeah, that’d be perfect.”

“Good, is this number okay to text or…”

“Yeah, this is my cell phone so I should always have it on me.” I laughed. “Or Hyoyeon might have it again.” I heard her huskily chuckle.

“Tell her congratulations for me,” Tiffany said sweetly. I nodded.

“I definitely will. She’ll be so excited to hear this... Uh, thank you.”

“Aye~ don’t thank me, it was Hyoyeon who did the dancing,” she responded. “I just picked the best.”

Wah… I couldn’t believe it.

My Hyoyeon won?!

I’m sure so many people entered and yet Hyo still won? She was seriously going to love this.

__________________________________________________

 

“Come on Hyoyeon, we’re going to be late,” I called from the kitchen.

I picked up the last few things I needed and threw them into my back pack before grabbing my still wet blazer.

“Damnit,” I cursed aloud.

Our piece of crap dryer stopped working last night, right after I washed my school uniform too… of course.

I hung everything up to dry and the shirt and skirt seemed to have no problem, but the blazer… ugh.

I guess it would air dry sooner or later.

Hyoyeon came out of our room within the minute and we hurried to catch the first bus. I say first bus because that was only one of three different busses we had to ride to get to school.

Because we live in a completely different part of town, it takes a good thirty to forty minutes just to get to where we need to be. Then another ten or so minutes on top of that to walk to school from the bus stop. Ugh, it was tiring, but completely worth it. 

The school we went to was way out of our league. Everyone that attended was very wealthy and very smart… or just usually the first one... sorry Yoong.

There were a select few of us that were here on a scholarship though. Hyoyeon, myself, and about seven other students I believe. The only way to get in through a scholarship was to either have very good grades or have a recommendation from someone on the school board; we had Mr. and Mrs. Choi to thank for that one.

Because of their recommendations and the fact that we continued to get decent grades, we were allowed to attend such an elite school.

Seriously, I don’t even know if elite is the right word. The granddaughter of the Samsung Corporation’s CEO is in Hyoyeon’s class… That little girl could buy the whole block I live on and she’s only ten!

It was insane, but I was just glad Hyo could attend somewhere nice like this.

I walked into the class, just in time I might add, and got immediately into a giant’s arms.

“Oh my dearest friend who I love so much,” Sooyoung cooed. “You- Yah!” She immediately let go of me. “Why are you so wet?”

I guess the air drying didn’t go as planned.

“I’m not wet you idiot, just… damp.” She smirked.

“Uh-huh. Okay Taeng,” she said sarcastically. “Why are you damp then? The rest of ya looks dry.”

“Our stupid dryer broke last night.” She nodded.

“Ah~, then you shoulda held it out the window of the bus on the way here,” she laughed.

“Next time,” I grinned.

“You better start air drying your outfit for tomorrow too Tae. You don’t want to be damp when we meet the goddess Tiffany Hwang,” she said almost like she was in a daze. I shook my head.

Maybe I should rethink my decision to bring her along…

“I’m just going to wear regular clothes Soo, jeesh,” I laughed. “I’m not meeting the president.” Her jaw dropped.

“I’m not sure why I’m even friends with you half the time,” she said exhaustedly. I grinned.

“It’s because I’m the cute one,” I teased. “Remember?”

“Wow yo-”

“Ani~ that’s my job now short stuff, did you forget,” Yoona asked from behind us. “This isn’t middle school anymore. You’re the smart one.” I grinned.

I was just glad she didn’t say I’m the short one… this time.

“Yah, then what am I?” Yoona laughed.

“The funny one.”

Sooyoung squinted into a glare, but quickly burst into a smile after that.

“I can deal with that.” I laughed.

“Or the hungry one,” I suggested.

“Yah- well, okay. I can’t disagree with that one either,” she smiled. “But seriously Taeng, don’t embarrass us in front of Tiffany, I’m begging you. I might die. Yoong tell her to dress like a normal person.”

Oh my god.

“I always dress like a normal person Soo, what are you talking about?”

This girl…

“Yeah Sooyoung, I don’t see a problem with how she dresses.”

“See Yoona under-“

“Just don’t wear a hoodie unnie.”

“Huh?” Soo laughed.

“See~! She thinks you dress too casual too.”

“It’s not that you dress too casual, it’s just that you- Oh,” she paused. “Yuri! Ah, sorry. I didn’t know you were-“

“It’s fine,” she smiled.

Crap, how long had she been standing there?

Once I told Hyoyeon the news of her winning, and after she freaked the hell out, we each agreed to invite a friend to come with us. I obviously picked Soo and Hyo invited her best friend Min… however, Min wasn’t allowed to come with us because the ‘adult supervision’ was only me.

Understandable, but whatever. Her loss I guess…

Since Min couldn’t come we had one free spot and Hyoyeon didn’t have anyone else to invite so I asked Yoona the next day... in front of Yuri.

I didn’t even think about it at first, but we totally left her out. It’s not like we could do anything about it though, I mean I obviously didn’t mean to… I just thought about Yoona before her.

Now every time we talk about it, or Sooyoung fan girls about it, I feel bad… we all do. We tried not to talk about it in front of her but obviously it didn’t work out all the time.

“Sorry Yul,” Soo said apologetically. “I’m just so-”

“No, you really don’t need to apologize,” Yuri said, cutting her off. “I’m going too.”

“HUH,” we all said in unison.

“How?” I didn’t understand either.

“Hasn’t it been sold out for a month,” Sooyoung asked. Yuri nodded.

“It has, but I asked my dad and he talked to a few people and I’m going.”

Heol, that’s impressive… but I guess if your father was the CEO of KG Entertainment, one of the biggest entertainment companies in Korea, you were pretty well connected.

“But I have to ‘work’,” she said while doing finger quotes in the air.

Wait, what?

“What do you mean work?”

“Yeah, you can’t hang out with us?” She shook her head.

“I can probably for a little bit, but I have to follow around and play assistant to one of my dad’s idols while they’re there.”

“What?! That !”

Oh wow she was right. That doesn’t sound like fun at all. I was worried if I would even be able to make it through the short time I’m going to be spending with Tiffany let alone following an idol around all night.

Ugh…

“How are you going to see us if you have to be around them the whole time then unnie,” Yoona asked.

She had a very good point. If the other idol was off being stupid, how the hell was Yuri going to be able to see us?

“Well I figured if you guys are meeting with Tiffany and the idol I’m following is also with her, wahlah~,” she sounded. “We’ll be together.” I smirked.

That was pretty smart thinking though… but-

“Who the hell are you following,” Soo asked suspiciously. “Don’t tell me it’s-“

“Uh-huh,” Yuri hummed. “Jessica Jung... Tiffany’s girlfriend.”

 

___________________________________________________________

 

Waah! Chapter four~!!

Jessica has finally entered the story!

 

Thank you all so much for reading, voting, subscribing, and especially commenting~!
It means so much to know that you all like my story!!

Let me know what you want to see next! :p
I'm always up for suggestions.

I hope you enjoyed!

Thank you!!!!