Sick with Hoon

Sick with Hoon

Today's date with Hoon was the first one you had had in ages. You had been looking forward to it all week, even if it was just going to be a relaxing afternoon at the park. The plants were just barely budding into brilliant colors and new green, and the air was the perfect warmth to be outside. You were walking along the stone path in silence at the moment, appreciating the view.

Hoon kept glancing over at you, but his usual gentle smile wasn't there. He seemed more puzzled than anything. You cleared your throat, looking away.

“I'm going to run to the bathroom for a minute, okay?”

He nodded, looking over to where the small communal restroom was at the edge of the path you were walking on. “Sure.” He looked back to her. “You're fine on your own?”

You threw him a smile while holding back an affectionate laugh. “Of course. I'll be back in a minute.” You grabbed your purse and headed over to the small room, Hoon's subtle eyes on you.

As soon as you closed the door to the door to the one-person bathroom, the thick cough you had been holding back flew from your chest, the hacking sound echoing in the small dirty room. You wre nearly doubled over with the force of it, though as it finished you felt much better. You put a hand to your head, feeling the low running fever, and then reached into your purse to find makeup to hide the resulting flush.

It wasn't that you didn't think he would be supportive; on the contrary, he would be probably want to know. But he would take your straight back home, probably make you go to bed, and all you really wanted was to spend the day with him. Once you were sure there wasn't any evidence of the cough in your voice or the fever on your face, you headed outside.

“Are you feeling better now?”

You nealry jumped a foot as Hoon spoke from just a little ways away, leaning on the corner of the building. “Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you.” He showered you with his reassuring smile as he held out his hand, reaching for yours. “Ready to go?”

You took his hand, his fingers immediately intertwining with yours.

“Sure! Where are we going now?”

“We can just walk around one more time before heading back, it's getting late.”

“Okay...” You responded, a little dejected at the thought of returning. You walked together in silence for a bit, admiring the scenery.

“Why didn't you you just tell me you weren't feeling well?”

You looked over at him in surprise as he spoke, but he was gazing directly ahead. He seemed somehow devoid of emotion, clearly upset. Your stomach dropped, and you struggled with coming up with the right words, mouth opening and closing uselessly.

He glanced down at you, but seeing your distress seemed to shock him out of his own emotions. “No-- I mean--” He cut himself off with a sigh, turning you to face him with a hand on each of your shoulders. “If you're sick, we could have done something different today. I want you to trust me, even when it's something like this. Did you think I would be upset if you canceled our date?” He frowned in confusion, brushing a strand of hair from your face and feeling the unnatural warmth of your forehead as he did so. He gently pulled you forward, spotting an empty bench nearby.

“Here, lets sit down for a minute and then we can head back a little early--”

“No!” You cut him off, upset. “I don't want to go back, that was the whole point, I'm fine, really, I--” You broke down into a coughing fit as emotion crawled into your voice.

Hoon hauled you to the seat and rubbed soothing circles on your back. Tears were in the corners of your eyes, due both to the force of your cough and your distress at the thought of leaving.

“Easy,” he murmured as he continued to rub your back gently. “Easy.” As your gathered yourself and looked up at him, he leaned forward and left a chaste kiss on your lips before pulling your head to lean on his shoulder.

“Alright, I get it; let's just rest here then, okay?”

You nuzzled into the warmth of his neck, finding his hand to hold. “Okay.”