: : one

Dance with Me [NO LONGER UPDATING]
S E U L G I

           

                Carefully flipping through the pamphlet she received from the greeter, she analyzed the map of the school. The JunHo Institute of Art will be her new home for the next 4 years, so she must get used to the layout. Her dorm was located near the dance rooms, to her advantage. "Late night practices will be a breeze." She thought to herself. Habitually, Seulgi wakes up at 11 PM and drags herself to the closest dance studio. At that time, no one watches her, no one is there to judge her. She can move the way she wants to. She can truly connect herself to the music.

                Since her parents weren't there to help her, she had to lug her belongings around the brick sidewalks, searching for the red bricked building marked "Gwangju Hall." After entering, she noticed the linoleum tile and the bland walls, but students were milling around socializing, making it feel more colorful. Seulgi didn't really feel like being apart of it. Hoping that the administrators listened to her request, she opened the door to Room 282. Breathing out a sigh of relief, Seulgi found only one bed, one dresser, and one desk. Now working countless days on her resumé felt worth it. Placing her bags in the corner, she looked around the room. Blank white walls stared at her from 4 sides. The twin sized bed laid on the bed stand. Her desk was made out of maple wood and there were faint scribbles of pen on it, someone attempted trying to leave their mark. 

                Rolling up her sleeves, she unpacked her bags and started putting them where she knew she wanted them to go. As she was placing the bed covers on, there was a knock at the door. "Hellooo!" A melodious voice called out, Seulgi heard a creak of her door. Seulgi stood up,"Hello? I'm sorry I believe you have the wrong room..." A bright smile was the first thing she saw, and then she analyzed the rest of the unknown person's face. "Oh no, Sweetie, this isn't the wrong room. I just wanted to make sure you were getting settled! I'm Lee Yeeun, a senior, and dorm mother assistant! How is everything so far?" 

                Seulgi smiles politely and bows,"Everything is going well, thank you very much!" Yeeun smiles and nods "If everything is okay, I'll just check up on the other residents! If you need my help, just come find me in Room 271." As she exits, Seulgi feels the smile already slip off her face. "Even though she's trying to be nice, her cheerfulness is a little overwhelming..." Seulgi notes to herself. She looks at her handiwork, "Not bad Seul..." The room is decorated with pictures of her friends from her highschool. Her dance idol ,BoA, is also there on a poster above her bed. (Seulgi had lots of trouble making it as straight as possible.) Her desk is now stocked with pencils, erasers, notebook paper, and all the possible books she would need about the history of dancing, art, and other courses she would be taking. She utilized the opposite wall facing the bed and the desk by placing a futon and several throw pillows on the ground, Seulgi enjoyed reading comfortably and this is where she plans to execute this activity.

                After she was all unpacked, Seulgi opened her window. Her elbows perched on the window sill, breathing in the fresh night air. For a couple of minutes she listened to the chirping insects of the night, it was almost like they were serenading her. Seulgi raised her gaze to the brightest star and whispers "Please, just this once... wish me luck." With that, she closed the window.

                Seulgi climbed into bed, still in today's clothes, and staring at her blank ceiling. The only light was coming from the moon and stars outside. "Tomorrow's a big day. I don't think I'm ready for it..."

T O M O R R O W    M O R N I N G

                Calmly walking into the dance practice room, Seulgi's eyes swept around the room. Already, she could tell no one in this class will appeal to her. Yes, that sounds rude, but Seulgi has always been a good judge of character, and almost immediately knows when she will or will not like someone. And this time, her gut told her that this wasn't a class that she was going to socialize very much in. Most of the class was female and practically looked the same with slender, long legs, long hair and faces looking like they were perpetually formed in a sneer. The few males in the class were in a huddle in the back corner of the mirrored room, Seulgi immediately assumed that no one would notice her, as they were busy conversing with each other. But of course, as she was sweeping her hair over her shoulder, she caught attention from many of the others in the room. Not expecting the attention, Seulgi automatically put on her "nothing can phase me" face. She felt her temperature rising, immediately and walked across the room, taking big strides, to a door that was labeled "Women's Changing Room"

                After dressing out and stretching, the teacher introduced herself, "Welcome to Advanced Modern Dance. I am Song KyungHee and I will not answer to 'KyungHee.' This classroom does not tolerate eating, and horsing around. I do hope we will have a fun time and I have something special planned for next week that I hope you will all enjoy," she smiled and began to call roll. Seulgi studied the teacher. She was in her early 30s, but short and fit. There was a simple silver wedding band on her ring finger. Unlike the students, she modeled brunette hair, styled in a pixie cut. She patiently waited for her name, the others going by in a blur. "Kang Seulgi,"  Mrs. Song called in a crisp, clear voice. "Here" Seulgi answered in a monotone voice, raising her hand slightly. No one said anything of it. 

                "So as your first day of this course, I have prepared an exercise for you all. For this exercise, you will need a partner." There were excited titters at the mention of partners, Seulgi, in turn, rolled her eyes. "Yes, you may choose your partner, but please be advised that this exercise will be easier and funnier, if you do not know this person. Please choose your partner within 2 minutes, and then I will finish my instructions."

                Quickly, the girls basically threw themselves on the few guys that were there. "Annyeong oppa!! I'd be honored if you were my partner!!" "All my friends already have partners, but I figured you wouldn't mind if I was partnering with you right, oppa?" High-pitched voices flirted through the room. Seulgi rolled her eyes," How disgusting... First day of school and they already want to get laid." Seulgi thought to herself. Interrupting her thoughts, she felt a tap on the shoulder from behind. "Hello Seulgi, do you still need a partner?" It was the teacher. Seulgi nodded," Yes... I think I'm having some trouble finding one..." Mrs. Song smiled brightly," I know who'll be the perfect match for you!!" Mrs. Song stepped aside and standing there was one of the typical girls of the class, except maybe she looked a little nicer than the rest of them. Instead of being adorned in booty shorts and short tank tops, this girl was wearing athletic leggings and a white t-shirt that read "JunHo Institute of Art" with their logo printed on the right .

                The girl smiled and said," I hope you're okay with working with me, Seulgi, whatever the assignment is, I'm sure it will be fun for the both of us!" She bounced happily, as Seulgi blinked. "How does she know my name..." Seulgi thought to herself, "Oh... it was called during role. But what is this girl's name?"  She knew this person would want her to reply, so she did, "Me too, I hope that this assignment will make us friends." Of course this was a straight up lie, Seulgi couldn't even remember this girl's name. She tried racking her brain for the names of the students while Mrs. Song was calling role. 

                "Was she Choi Hyeji perhaps?" Seulgi decided that she would call her Hyeji, and it wasn't her name, she would probably correct her. "Hyeji-ah, do you know how much time we have left?" To her surprise, her partner answered, "About 30 seconds I believe." Now Kang Seulgi had two acquaintances from the population of the school.

                After their time was up, the teacher stood at the front of the class holding a thin stack of papers," Class! In 5 minutes our activity will begin," She announced motioning to the clock on top of the mirrors," I will hand you a blank paper. Please do not write, fold, doodle, draw, spit, or mark on this paper, at least not yet." She shuffled to and from each pair of students. Subsequently, Mrs. Song set herself back at the front of the room. "When the activity starts, you will draw or write things that you believe describe you. When everyone is done, you will fold up your paper in quarters, and hand it to me. Do not discuss or show off what you have put on the paper, or that will ruin the whole thing. Please write your name on the back of your paper.  We will sit in a circle and I will hold up the drawing. If you think that your partner is the one who drew or wrote on that paper. Stand up and say 'that is his or hers paper!' Got it everyone?" The class nodded and split up. Since they didn't have chairs or desks, most students found a "comfy" spot to sit on the ground.

                "Let's sit back to back so we don't see each other's drawing okay?" Hyeji said when Mrs. Song stopped talking. Seulgi nodded and sat down where she was standing, Hyeji did the same, their backs facing each other. "Okay class, your time starts now!" Seulgi heard pencils and pens scribble across their papers. Seulgi didn't know what to put down. "What describes me?" Seulgi thought of herself, but could only think of one thing. For several minutes, Seulgi thought about what to draw. "You have 1 minute left, please finish up your drawings!" Mrs. Song announced. "..." Seulgi thought, "I guess I'll have to go with that then..." She finished her drawing as soon as the teacher yelled," TIME!"

                Seulgi folded her paper as the teacher had instructed, and jumped up with ease. After handing over her paper, she sat back down next to Hyeji, who had already formed half of the circle along with others. "Oh and did I tell you, that if you guess the paper wrong, you and your partner will have to perform a short dance routine after class, with all the students who were also wrong watching. Be careful, because I will be brutally honest when I judge your dance." She smiled and unfolded the first drawing. It was a picture of ballet shoes and music notes. One of the skinny girls stood up, "That is Jongin Oppa's drawing!!"  Mrs. Song shook her head," Sorry Hyunae, but that is incorrect." The Hyunae girl sat down next to her partner pouting," Sorry Jongin-ah, I guess we'll have to do the dance now." The boy shrugged and turned away from Hyunae's puppy eyes. It went through the list like that, some guessed wrong and some guessed right, surprisingly, more people guessed right than wrong. But unfortunately, it wasn't the same for Hyeji, when a picture of a nicely drawn book came up, Seulgi's partner bounced up, "I think that is Kang Seulgi's paper!" Mrs. Song shook her head," Sorry Hyeji, but it is not." Seulgi's face flushed," So she thought I was a bookworm, though I can't disagree, that picture is not mine." Apparently it was Hyunae's partner that drew the book.

                Immediately, Seulgi knew when Hyeji's drawing came up. "That is Choi Hyeji's paper." She announced. Mrs. Song nodded and smiled at Seulgi. Hyeji had drawn a picture of a happy face and wrote "Be happy for others, not just yourself."  Hyeji smiled at Seulgi as she sat down. As the stack became thinner, she anxiously waited for her drawing to come up, but it didn't until the stack was all but one paper. Seulgi's little star was being held up in front of the class, and Hyeji proudly stood up," That is Kang Seulgi's paper!" . Seulgi smiled at her," At least Hyeji was paying attention to who was being called and who wasn't." But we still had to do that stupid dance after class. 

 

Thank you so much for reading the first chapter!! I hope you enjoy, and please be honest about what you think. Criticism is accepted but hate is not! I'm pretty good at telling the difference. If you enjoyed the story maybe you could subscribe and wait for updates c: Not a lot happened in this chapter, but there is much more to come! Oh, and I know that this wouldn't typically happen in a college course, but I wanted to do something a little different XD ENJOY!!!

Paper Heart❊ | via Tumblrhere's a picture of my bae for you c;