1

Cabbages

Bae Joohyun was a single mother of two lovely young daughters, Joy and Yeri. They got along quite alright. Joohyun's family was quite wealthy and was always willing to help out, but Joohyun almost always politely denied, always insisting she was fine.

Today was the day Joohyun would go grocery shopping. She would go alone usually, but the dance club that Joy and Yeri attended was cancelled that Saturday, so she decided to take her daughters with her.

"Umma, can we get this?" Joy asked, holding up a box of cookies.

"No Joy, we already have some at home." Joohyun said.

"Umma, I need the bathroom." Yeri whined, tugging on Joohyun's arm.

"Soon, Yeri." Joohyun said.

"Umma, can we get this?" Joy asked, holding up another box of cookies.

"No Joy, we already have some at home." Joohyun repeated with a sigh.

"Umma, I really need the bathroom!" Yeri squealed, tugging on Joohyun's arm again.

"Not yet, Yeri!" Joohyun hissed.

Joohyun expected Joy to ask for something else, so she looked up. But Joy was nowhere to be seen.

Oh god. I've lost my child.

Joohyun put on a calm face and turned to the youngest child, Yeri.

"Yeri, did you see where Joy went?" She asked.

Yeri shook her head. "But I need the ba--"

"Joy!" Joohyun yelled, looking around for the child, but she didn't appear.

Oh god. She's gone.

Joohyun started to rush around the aisles, desperately looking for her child who seemed to have vanished.

"Joy!" Yeri screamed, looking around for her sister. "JOY, MUMMY DOESN'T LIKE THIS GAME!"

Joohyun had looked through the grocery store several times and her child was nowhere to be found.

I've lost my child. She's gone. She's not coming back. Oh god.

Joohyun stopped walking and hid her face in her hands as she started to cry.

"Mummy! I need the bathroom!" Yeri screeched, starting to cry too.

Anyone who walked past would've thought they were insane. Yeri was sat on the floor crying and Joohyun was sobbing into a bag of what seemed to be cabbages.

"Excuse me miss, but are you okay?"

Joohyun looked up. A young woman with blonde hair and a cute face was stood in front of her with a shopping cart full of various items.

"No.. I.. I can't find my other daughter.." Joohyun sobbed.

"Your daughter? Tell me what she looks like, we can find her together. Please calm down, miss. She'll be around here somewhere." The woman said with a reassuring smile.

"Well... She's... She's wearing a green dress.. And.. I can't remember!" Joohyun sniffled loudly, covering her face again.

"Umma, why is that lady crying?" A high pitched voice asked.

"Wendy, have you seen a little girl with a green dress?" The woman asked the small child stood next to her.

"Oh! That's Joy! We're playing hide and seek!" The small girl said with a smile. "Joy! Stop hiding!"

A few seconds later, Joy appeared from behind a shelf and joined them.

"Umma! Why are you sad?" Joy asked, waddling over to Joohyun.

"Joy!" Joohyun crouched down and hugged her oldest child very tightly. "I thought I'd lost you!"

"I was playing hide and seek with my new friend!" Joy said with a bright smile.

"You can't do that in a place like this, Joy. You have to stay with me now, okay? Hold my hand." Joohyun said, standing up, holding her hand out to Joy who took it happily and giggled.

The three young children started to talk to each other whilst Joohyun spoke to the woman.

"Thanks for helping, I should really be more careful.." Joohyun said with a sigh.

"It's okay. Kids like to run off and stuff like that. Wendy's always running off to play with people." The woman said, smiling. "I'm Seulgi, by the way. We can shop together so they can play if you like. Wendy always comes back. And if they do go missing, two pairs of eyes are better than one pair. We'll find them."

"I.. Yeah.. Let's walk together.. I'm Joohyun. Sorry, I just get so worried over things." Joohyun said, quickly wiping her eyes with a tissue. "And my make up is ruined too."

"It's nice to meet you, Joohyun. And don't worry, you look fine anyway without make up." Seulgi said, giggling. "Also, you might want some new cabbages, you've cried into yours and I don't think they'll taste very good."

They spent the afternoon together. After they'd finished shopping, they went to a café together where their children played for hours whilst the two women talked and drank coffee. They learned a lot about each other too, and also decided that they would meet up more and let the girls play hide and seek or do whatever they want together. Despite losing her child, Joohyun felt very happy. She liked Seulgi a lot. Seulgi was kind, caring and very pretty too. She wasn't really sure if she liked girls or boys, but Joohyun would be with Seulgi in an instant if Seulgi wanted a relationship. When she met Seulgi, it all felt alright. Seulgi managed to calm her and she had also found her child too. Joohyun liked Seulgi. Joohyun liked Seulgi a lot.

 

A week passed. Joohyun and Seulgi had been texting each other almost all day every day and they had planned a sleepover for Wendy, Joy and Yeri. So on Friday night, Seulgi came to Joohyun's house with Wendy. Wendy took her things and went up to Joy and Yeri's room. It was finally quiet. Joohyun and Seulgi were alone.

"So, did you have a good day?" Seulgi asked as they sat together on the couch.

"It was alright. You?" Joohyun asked.

"Same really." Seulgi said.

There was a small silence, then Joohyun spoke up.

"Seulgi.. Can I ask you about something?"

"Sure, ask ahead." Seulgi said with a smile.

"Do you like girls or boys? Or both?" Joohyun asked.

"Girls. Why are you asking anyway? Is there something you want to tell me?"

"Well.. Uhm.. Seulgi.. I think.. No.. I know.. I.. ilikeyou." Joohyun said quickly, suddenly going quiet like a teenager on their first date.

Joohyun wasn't looking at Seulgi, but she knew from the silence that Seulgi was smiling. Then suddenly, she was pulled into a tight hug.

"Joohyun, that's so sweet, I like you too. In fact, I love you." Seulgi said, tilting Joohyun's head up so their eyes met. "I really love you, Joohyun." Then slowly, Seulgi leant closer and closed the gap between them, their lips meeting for the first time.

It was quiet as they kissed, then suddenly, there were a series of yells from upstairs.

"If you like her so much you should MARRY her!"

"NO! she is my best friend! You don't marry your best friend!"

"My mummy said she has a best friend, and she wants to marry her too!"

"Really? Who's her best friend then?!"

"Your mummy!"

Joohyun and Seulgi pulled away from each other and burst into laughter at hearing the conversation between their children. As soon as the children started yelling again, the two women went quiet.

"I bet you're lying!"

"No I'm not! Ask my mummy!"

The sound of three little girls got louder and they all came into the living room. Joy pushed Yeri to the front.

"S..Seulgi.. Is my mummy your best friend?" Yeri asked shyly.

"Yes, she is. She's my best friend." Seulgi said, trying not to laugh.

"I told you so." Wendy snorted, then she pulled Joy and Yeri with her back up the stairs.

"I'm just your best friend?" Joohyun asked with a pout.

"Well, you are right now, but I'd like you to be more than my best friend." Seulgi said, smiling at Joohyun.

"I'd like to be more than your best friend too." Joohyun said, leaning closer to kiss Seulgi.

 

Six months later, Joohyun and Seulgi had moved into a house together with their children. They had just got married and were very happy together. One day, Joohyun was in the kitchen. They had just been grocery shopping. She took the cabbages out of a bag and placed them on the side to put them away, when a pair of arms wrapped around her and a voice mumbled in her ear.

"I hope you didn't cry into these ones, like you did when we met."

Joohyun almost cried again, there and then.