I Do

I Do

Wendy is not the type to dwell on regret. She has a firm belief that regretting only results in poor judgments and irrational actions which lead to a cycle of regrets that never ends, so for the past 21 years of her existence she had lived at a fair distance from any sort of regret.  But one particular regret started knocking at her door and constantly visits, since.  Day and night. Dreaming or awake.

 

Marriage. Wendy regrets marrying at the age of 18. Maybe it was the flowers, her voice, her smoldering eyes or the jumping jacks her heart does whenever their eyes meet that made her say “I do,” but none of it matters now when princess charming is a pig and they live in a pig pen.

 

Wendy used to think she had a severe case of OCD which is now proven to be nonexistent because if she did have OCD, she would’ve died of panic attack days, months or years ago. 

 

“Can you please put the hair dryer back in its place?,” She hissed with gritted teeth and eyes popping out of their sockets.  “Yeah, I will, later, when I get back,” Seulgi said, fixing or ruffling her blonde hair, pulling Wendy close by the waist and planting a kiss on her lips “Bye, love you.” She smiled that cheeky smile and  rushed out the door in her leather jacket and Wendy can do nothing but sigh as  the faint sound of her Harley disappears by the second.

 

Living in a party house is unbearable.  Living in a non-Party house that looks like a party house is beyond unbearable. They might as well have a party every night as an excuse as to why, their house is the way it is. She might as well just live with three smelly bearded old men because they just might do a better job at cleaning after their own mess.  

 

 

 

 

Being married in college is a marathon. Wendy worries about her grades and ‘her’ grades.  She cooks food, keeps the house clean, tries to be the perfect wife and the perfect student while Seulgi  winks, smiles, smirks  and  squeezes her while sprawled on the sofa.  This whole lazy act was  cute when they were 14 and that was a long, long time ago. They no longer stick flowers in each others hair. They no longer try to get lost in those labyrinths planted in front of their houses just to steal  kisses or lingering hugs. She blames her parents for not pulling her out of her fairy tale fantasies, but who would complain amidst the flooding benefits brought by either party.  At least she was not forced to marry Seulgi’s playboy older brother Kang Joohyun. Thank God!

 

 

“I’m leaving you. I swear, I’m leaving you,” Wendy snapped, waving a pair of jeans in her left hand as she stands by the door of their bedroom.

“What did I do this time?” Seulgi giggled as she walks closer to her. “Did I leave the cap off the toothpaste?” Placing her hands on her wife’s waist, smiling her way to her heart.

“No,” She was angry, so why did it sound like a whine. “You left these,” she shoved the jeans to her shoulder “ in the balcony.”  

“I felt hot,”  eyebrows raised and amused by the hypocrisy,  “It was over 30° last  night and as far as I remember, you enjoyed every bit of my strip show down to the last piece,” which is a fact and Wendy sighs and rolls her eyes for nth time. Her point will never be understood by the ually driven brain of hers. Hypocrisy, hypocrisy and some more hypocrisy.

 

 

“Hands are used for taking out the trash,” She said as she walked pass Seulgi  who was just about to throw an empty box of milk in the bin. “And wash the dishes while you’re at it, please.” She said while sitting on the floor of their living room, splitting her brain in two for trying to fit in as many medical terms as possible. And the sound of the water and dishes being washed was music to her ears and for the first  time in three years that they’ve been married, Wendy caught a glimpse of the light.

 

 

 

It was Friday the 13th, but happened to be their third year anniversary, so imagine Wendy’s excitement as she pulled over the garage from being stuck in traffic for over an hour on her way home from the university when she read Seulgi’s message “Is it even possible for you to love me more?,” she rolled her eyes  “No? Yes?,”   she stopped in front of the door.    “ Maybe yes, ‘cos you’re in for a big surprise,”   And she never prayed as much as she was doing at the very moment. She’s a master of guessing games and she hoped that she’s also right this time. She opened the door slowly, closed her eyes and grit her teeth and was welcomed by a house that looked exactly the opposite of how she left it. Clean. She left it clean.

 

Seulgi’s leather jacket is on the sofa, next to her jeans and her boots and some empty cans. And she can’t help but wonder how her underwear ended up under the carpet. She’d say that Coachella happened here while she was in school, but no, it’s just Seulgi. Everything was Seulgi’s doing. The pile of plates in the sink, half eaten apple on the table, their cat covered in cheese and yes, Seulgi was right, she was in for a big surprise. How can a person make this much mess in the span of two hours that she’s been home from school?

 “Pig,” She grunted as she made her way through the mess

“Did you just call me a pig?” Uh-oh. That was never meant to slip out of . That was a name only used in the silence of the corners of her mind but so what? It’s true anyways.

“Yup, you’re a pig,”  as a matter-of-factly. And silence.

“You bet I am.” Seulgi said with a smug on her tone that made Wendy turn around to see a Seulgi in a piglet onesie. She wiggled her invisible tail and it made Wendy laugh, but was cut short when Seulgi said in the huskiest tone her high-pitched voice could produce “ And I’m not wearing anything underneath’”

 

“To the bedroom.” Wendy shouted like a sailor pointing to the direction of their bedroom and Seulgi smiled her cheeky smile while skipping her way to the bedroom and a very defeated Wendy walking close behind.