Splash!

Splash!

      It was the middle of July, seemingly the hottest time of the year, and you and Hoya had taken a vacation to one of Korea’s best water parks: Caribbean Bay! It was the perfect way to fight off the heat. Although it was sure to be crowded at this time of the year, neither of you were opposed to going… So long as Hoya didn’t have to ride anything too intense.

     “Hoya, where’s the fun in that?” you whined after hearing his refusal, “You have to at least go on one with me.”

     “I’ll go on one, but it can’t be crazy,” he responded. The two of you were strolling hand-in-hand amidst the crowd. All around you, children soaked to the bone ran past, giggling as their parents called out to them to be cautious.

     “…What kind of ride isn’t crazy to you?” you muttered under your breath as you tried to think of what Hoya would be okay with. Kiddie rides were out of the question. “But everyone needs to go on a water slide if they’re at a water park. It’s  practically required.”

     “Oh it is, is it?” asked Hoya. He flashed a playful smirk at you, causing you to blush. As you looked away, he considered. Even he knew that visiting the water park with you would entail going on one of the slides. “Okay. I’ll go on one.”

     “Really?” you asked, pleased that he was so quick to comply. You swung his hand in yours as a sign of content. Out of the corner of your eye, you caught sight of something, something amazing. You stopped in your tracks, and stared in awe. “The Aqualoop…”

     Hoya followed your gaze and much to his discomfort, watched as human-shaped shadows traveled through tubes that eerily resembled a science experiment. He broke into a cold sweat… 

     “Well, goodbye!” He bid cheerfully as he made an effort to disappear. You grabbed his wrist.

     “Wait, don’t go,” you said distractedly. You couldn’t tear your eyes away from the beauty of the ride. “It’s okay. I’m going on it alone.”

     “Are you sure?” asked Hoya, “You’re not going to get kidnapped by aliens or anything?”

     “What?” You finally tore your eyes away from the ride and gave him a strange look. It was clear to him that you didn’t see it the way he did.

     “Nevermind. Go, have fun. I’ll wait right here,” he encouraged, chuckling to himself.

     “Okay, see you soon!” you waved a cheerful goodbye and got in line.

 


 

     As Hoya sat on the sidelines, he wondered if he’d be able to tell which silhouette belonged to you. It was harder to figure out than he thought it would be. Not only did every  silhouette pass in the same pose, but their speed was too great to even catch a glimpse. This reassured Hoya that he made a good choice in sitting this one out.
     Ten minutes had passed. The sun had been beating down relentlessly throughout the day, and since Hoya hadn’t gone on any water slides yet, it felt too hot to bare. So, after the fifth human-shaped shadow passed by in one of the tubes, he gave up and decided to find somewhere shady to sit.

 


 

      You got out of the pool with a fresh adrenaline rush surging through your body. The Aqualoop was everything you’d anticipated it to being. Feeling exhilarated, you made your way back toward the entrance to find Hoya. Maybe if you’d explained to him that it wasn’t scary, he’d give it a try himself. …Yeah, right. You knew he wouldn’t do it.

     As you headed back, you found Hoya resting peacefully in the shade. He kind of resembled an old man to you, the way he tucked his chin down and crossed his arms and legs… Wait, was he… Napping?!

     “Aish, this ahjussi…” You shook your head in disbelief.

     Nearby, a stand was selling water balloons for only twenty-five cents. A mischievous idea occurred to you and you bought a few right away. You thanked the seller and tiptoed your way back to Hoya. Unsure of whether his eyes were closed behind his sunglasses or not, you snuck up on him from behind for safe measure.

     “FOR NARNIA!”
           *Splash!*

     “Omo–WHA–!” Hoya jumped up at incredible speed. You had hit him all over; water dripped everywhere. He stared at you in shock.

     “Good morning, ahjussi,” you teased, “did you have a nice nap?” Hoya blinked and you watched as his ears turn red. He was so flustered that he didn’t know how to respond. You tried to run away, but it was too late.

     “Yah, come here,” he said quietly as he grabbed for your wrist. His voice sounded menacing but he couldn’t hide the smile that grew on his face.

     “Wait–” you laughed as he grabbed your hand and pulled you beside him. The two of you were walking at a brisk pace now, with him ahead of you. “Wait, Hoya, I’m sorry! Please, what are you–where are we–”

     “Where did you learn that from?” he asked, making his voice sound angrier. His grip on your hand loosened as he intertwined his fingers in yours. “Did you actually get kidnapped by aliens on that slide? Hm? Did they teach you to do that to innocent people?” You stifled your laughter.

     Hoya asked silly questions until the two of you had reached a pool. It was big enough to hold the hundred or so people that were swimming in it. The two of you stood near the edge of it. At this point, Hoya turned to you.

     “Are you ready to repent?” he asked. You nodded furiously and bit your lip, expecting him to throw you into the pool. His ears were still red from embarrassment. He gave you one good look, bringing his face closer to yours.

     Then, he suddenly shook his head, much like a dog, splashing you with the excess water. You shut your eyes tightly and laughed.

     “That’s it?” you asked once he had stopped. You wiped your eyes and opened them to see him eying you curiously.

     “Are you sorry?” He asked in response, smiling just a bit so his dimples shown.

     “Yes,” you answered sincerely even though you knew he wasn’t actually angry.

     But then, before you could react, he pulled you close and held on tightly as he jumped into the pool. You screamed as you felt yourself fall and the familiar rush and exhilaration filled you again as you were dunked underwater.

     Gasping for air once you’d reached the surface, you grasped on to Hoya’s shoulders and held yourself steady as you wiped your eyes once more. Hoya panted and shook his head again, then let out a joyful shout and beamed at you.

     “Now this is what water parks are about!” he laughed as you splashed him for being silly.