NO BARRIERS | CH. I : AVALANCHE

No Barriers | Air Gear inspired
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AVALANCHE'S theme – Crush (2NE1)

There are certain things that the modern human ignores, or at least chooses to ignore. The fact that their lives had become monotone, that they follow the same exact pattern each day, that their movements had simply become coordinated, that they all go into the same direction and follow the same path. But that is all right, to the modern human, change is not something seen with good eyes, change is something that would make their lives different, trying to be different means trying something that you do not understand, and frankly, humans are afraid of what they do not understand, they run away from it. They prefer going with the crowds, blending in.

But we have chosen a different path, we have chosen to do something insane, to take risks, to put our lives in danger for a few moments of adrenaline and an emblem, for a few moments during which we would feel like a bird, we would know what real flight feels like. We do not like being called insane, we prefer the term 'daredevil', but either we like it or not, we admit that, in a form of insanity, we have chosen to stand out.

Our society is definitely stressful, it's putting a lot of pressure on us, especially the youth. People constantly think, wonder and mostly worry about what the others are thinking about them, it is not only the opinion of their friends and family that matters any more, no. That one person that passes down the street next to you, or that one that you sit next to in the bus or train, that one kid who is two years older or younger than you, in a different class in school, faces that you see only walking down the street and will never see again in your life, even their opinions matter. Our society is one of following, once a trend kicks in, one can definitely be sure that there will be thousands following it. Fashion, music, food, activities, everyone wants to be considered “in trend”, to only get good reviews from their peers and even those that they do not personally know, they want to be acknowledged, yet in the same time, keep a level of anonymity.

But everything changed one this new “fad” had become popular among the younger citizens of Seoul. At first, they were not big, they were something that everyone thought was just a silly invention, that it was even too science fiction in order to function. They were a new type of motorised rollerblades, and once people had started getting a hang of how they would be used correctly and just what they were capable of, their popularity rocketed through the roof and made them the hottest must-have among the young. And unlike every other passing trend, this one did not promise to disappear any time soon, as with every new rider, new tricks would be created or discovered, these rollerblades would provide something new, something exciting in their previous boring, uneventful lives.

Yet, chaos soon had settled along the streets of Seoul. Riders had started coming together, forming groups and uniting under a name and an emblem that would serve as the group's identity, but riding in packs did not satisfy their cravings. Soon, parts and neighbourhoods of the city had started being claimed by different groups or solo riders, and city areas were not the only parts other groups longed after – but parts and pieces to tune their devices with. There was only one solution they could come up with, and that was physical

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter