Come On, Your Majesty

Of Ghosts and DIY

Every night before going to bed, Seunghyun would leave a rose for Mrs. Park, and every morning the rose was gone. It became part of their daily routine. This was followed by Mrs. Park becoming helpful. Anytime Seunghyun was missing something, he would ask Mrs. Park. The missing object would then show up in the kitchen. He sold the big house after a bidding war drove the price up. He was able to buy two small houses that didn't require much repair work, and flipped them pretty quickly for a pretty profit. He uncovered the original wallpaper in the dining room and loved it so much that he left it as it was. The room suddenly smelled of lilacs, and he assumed Mrs. Park approved of his choice.

 

 

He saw the blue flames in the library only once more. He had been relaxing after a hard day, with a glass of wine and a book of ghost stories. The blue flames roared up in the fireplace, making Seunghyun knock over his wine and drop his book. Suddenly, the room filled with the scent of lilacs, and the blue flames disappeared. With trembling hands, Seunghyun thanked Mrs. Park and headed to to bed. He was halfway up the stairs when he realized he had forgotten her rose. He turned and headed outside, cutting two roses as an apology for nearly forgetting.

 

 

Heechul was impressed when Seunghyun had filled him in over breakfast. “I can't believe I didn't think of leaving an offering.”

“I guess the all knowing Heenim isn't so all knowing after all,” Seunghyun teased.

Heechul tole Seunghyun's last piece of bacon in retaliation, grinning at Seunghyun's pout. “What happened after you left her two roses?”

“I woke up to the whole house smelling like lilacs, and the wine stain was gone from the library.”

“Hmm. I bet she felt bad that she couldn't protect you from the blue flames, and wasn't expecting a rose at all, let alone two.”

Seunghyun frowned. “But she did protect me. She made the flames go away.”

“Maybe she felt she should have prevented it?” Heechul asked. “The maternal instinct is weird.”

“What else have you learned about the house?”

“Pretty much what you would expect with a haunted house. After Mrs. Park died, there was a series of owners, none of whom stuck around for very long.”

“But where did the pentagram come from?”

“The house became abandoned in the late 90s. I bet anyone could have snuck in.”

Seunghyun was thoughtful. What Heechul said made sense. He just wondered if the person who left the pentagram was a dumb kid or someone who was serious.

 

 

Heechul gave Seunghyun a hell of a goodbye kiss that occupied his mind for the rest of the day. Seunghyun's attraction to Heechul had moved well beyond physical. Heechul was funny, intelligent and charming. Seunghyun had wanted to claim Heechul as his own for a while, but admittedly he was worried about how Heechul's career would affect their relationship. He certainly didn't think Heechul was beneath him or that his job affected negatively on him. He was just worried about his own jealousy. He was also worried about Heechul's clients finding out, or even his company. The last thing Seunghyun wanted was for anything bad to happen to Heechul.

 


Saturday night was shaping up to be nice and quiet for Seunghyun. Another glass of wine, another book, and the faint smell of lilacs. He hadn't gotten very far when there was a knock at his door. Sighing, he heaved himself up and into the foyer.

“Hyunnie!” Heechul greeted him with a warm hug and a soft kiss.

“Hello,” Seunghyun blushed. “What brings you here?”

“I've brought Siwon,” Heechul explained. Linking his arm through Seunghyun's, he turned to face the person he'd brought out with him.

Seunghyun frowned. Siwon was as tall as he was, with a warm dimpled smile. He was dressed immaculately and had perfectly quaffed hair.

“It's nice to meet you,” Siwon said, extending his hand. “Heechul has told me so much about you.” Siwon's grip was warm and sturdy.

“Likewise,” Seunghyun said, though that was the furthest thing from the truth.

 

 

“Siwon is going to cleanse your house as a final favor,” Heechul said once they were seated in the library.

“Final?”

Siwon smiled. “I'm entering the ministry. Since I won't be able to see him anymore, I agreed to help out.”

Seunghyun liked Siwon a lot better. “But... I... think I've changed my mind.”

Heechul looked startled. “What's changed?”

“Us, I guess. We've reached an understanding and I don't what to chase her out of her own home.”

A strong scent of lilacs filled the air. Heechul went still. Siwon sneezed.

“Is that her?” Heechul asked.

Seunghyun nodded.

“Don't you want her to go to Heaven?” Siwon asked.

The scent vanished.

“Not if she doesn't want to.”

Siwon looked affronted. “How could she not want to be in the presence of the Lord?”

Seunghyun shrugged. “Maybe she's happier here. Or maybe she feels more useful here. I don't know, but I'm not forcing her out.”

“What about the evil?” Heechul asked. “What if it becomes something Mrs. Park can't control alone?”

Seunghyun just shrugged.

Siwon sighed. “This goes against my better judgment, but what if I cleaned out the evil spirits? Mrs. Park can stay if she wants to.”

The room was again scented with lilacs, and Seunghyun smiled. “That's a great idea.”

 

 

They worked in the library, where the blue flames had been seen twice, and the room where the pentagram had been. It took them two hours- one hour in each room. Siwon read from his Bible, and Heechul and Seunghyun burned sage smudge sticks. Seunghyun wasn't really sure what to do, so he just copied what Heechul did. Once they were finished, they quietly moved downstairs.

“What do you think?” Siwon asked.

“Too early to tell, I think,” Seunghyun replied. “I can't really feel a difference.” He held his hand out to Siwon. “Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.”

“Why do you never appreciate me?” Heechul pouted.

Seunghyun rolled his eyes. “I appreciate you all the time.”

“You two are cute together,” Siwon interrupted with a smile. “Take care of each other.”

“Does that mean I can neglect Heechul when he's having a not-cute day?” Seunghyun asked innocently.

“Yah!” Heechul smacked Seunghyun's arm. “ I never have not-cute days!”

Seunghyun chuckled, booping Heechul's nose.

Heechul glared, although Seunghyun could detect a grin trying to break through.

“Come on, Your Majesty,” Siwon goaded, climbing into the car.

Heechul humphed at Seunghyun, and then squealed when Seunghyun swatted his bum. He stuck his tongue out from the passenger window.

 

 

Seunghyun chuckled, heading back inside. He slowly looked over the house, hands in his pockets. He couldn't detect anything out of the ordinary. “Mrs. Park?” he asked tentatively.

The fragrance of lilacs was his response.

Grinning, Seunghyun walked out to the garden. This night, Seunghyun left a dozen roses behind.