Beneath Those Smiles

Beneath Those Smiles

 ~Beneath Those Smiles~

Smiles are very good masks…

-//-

In everyone’s life, there is bound to be a period of time when you start doubting your worth and even wonder why the hell were you born into this big, big world. For some, this so called ‘Dark Period’ starts early in the teenage years, whereas for others, it starts later in their lives. For Eunhee, it started right after her parents died.

There are some people who are able to get through the ‘Dark Period’ in just a short period of two days. On the other hand, there are also others who take months, years even, to get over it. For Eunhee, the ‘Dark Period’ never seems to end.

-//-

‘Yah! You useless girl! Why haven’t you made breakfast for me yet huh?’ A middle aged woman screamed as she kicked the young, currently kneeling girl hard in her chest.

‘I’m sorry…I- I overslept.’ Clutching her throbbing chest as discreetly as she can, Eunhee had great difficulty pronouncing those words as she breathed heavily. It was always like this in the Choi household. There was never one day when Eunhee would not get beaten by her Aunt. Calling her crude names and beating her ever since Eunhee moved in, she soon grew used to such treatment. Growing up, Eunhee never received any love or care. She did not know how it feels like to have parents waiting for you at home, she did not know how it feels like to be truly happy, and she did not know how it feels like to be loved.

‘You overslept? You OVERSLEPT?’ the older female’s voice rose an octave higher as she yanked Eunhee’s long, brown hair, bringing the latter’s face close to her own. ‘You ing useless piece of .’

‘I’m sorry.’ Eunhee said coolly as she tried to hide her fright. Although her aunt abused her on a daily basis, she never once let that sick woman see how afraid and scared she was because she knew, that that was the reaction her aunt wanted to see.

‘You think apologizing cures everything? Go to hell!’ Snarling, she slammed Eunhee’s head on the cold, granite floor before storming out of the house. Wincing at the impact, Eunhee clutched her head as she lay in a fetal position, hot tears rolling down her cheeks.

I am already in hell, what difference does it make?

-//-

Smiling widely, Eunhee entered the classroom. Tables and chairs were in disarray as girls and guys hanged out in their own separate cliques before the form teacher arrive to take their attendance. As Eunhee made her way to her seat which was situated right at the back of the class, a leg suddenly shot out, tripping Eunhee in the process.

‘Oh I’m sorry.’ Jieun, the school queenka said with a smirk on her face as she watched Eunhee got up. The entire class was suddenly quiet. All of them had their attention focused on the exchange going on in between the Queenka and the Rejected.

‘It’s okay. Everything’s good.’ Eunhee said simply as she smiled once before she continued making her way to the back of the class. Realizing that they were not going to have drama to watch, the rest of the class returned back to what they were doing. Of course, Jieun was not pleased. Not one bit pleased at all.

-//-

School ended and everyone dashed out of the classrooms, eager to get out of this hellhole called high school. Taking her own sweet time, Eunhee slowly packed her notebooks and pencil case into her backpack. Sure, she got bullied and teased everyday in school but it was still far better than going back ‘home’. Slinging her backpack, Eunhee was about to walk out of the classroom when Jieun walked in with her clique.

‘Look who we have here, Choi Eunhee. Why aren’t you leaving yet huh? Won’t your parents be worried? Oh right, you don’t have any parents.’ Jieun said smugly, her followers all laughing heartily at the low insult.

Still smiling, Eunhee replied, ‘Oh I was about to leave, but unfortunately, you are blocking my way.’ She was angered by what Jieun said but no way in hell was Eunhee going to give Jieun the satisfaction of seeing her all riled up. Teeth and fists clenched, Eunhee continued smiling as she saw the smirk on Jieun’s face disappear.

‘You little . I’m sick of your attitude. Who do you think you are huh? Superwoman? Why do you always ing smile whenever we tease you? When we bully you, you never once ing cry. Why can’t you cry huh?’ Jieun snarled in pure fury as she enunciated her words more and more clearly with every step she took towards Eunhee.

‘That’s because I don’t want to give s like you the satisfaction of seeing me hurt.’ Eunhee replied in a clipped tone. For a long moment, both girls stared at each other in silence, each waiting for the other to make the first move. Noticing that Eunhee was not going to do anything, Jieun spoke, ‘Bash her up, girls.’ Following their leader’s orders, the rest of the girls started throwing punches and aiming kicks at the latter. However, not once did Eunhee shed a single tear.

They say school is your second home, to me, it was my second hell.

-//-

‘Shoot, I’m going to be late!’ Eunhee muttered as she pushed past throngs of people, groceries in hand. She was supposed to return home at five but due to the long queue at the supermarket, Eunhee was now late. Running back home like a mad woman, it was no surprise when she soon crashed into another person.

‘Oof.’ Eunhee groaned as she lay on pavement, groceries strewn all over the place.

‘Hey, I’m sorry. I didn’t see you. Are you hurt?’ The stranger asked as he helped Eunhee up.

‘Yeah I’m fine.’ Eunhee replied as she removed the stranger’s grip on her arm before bending down to scoop up the groceries.

‘No you’re not. Your knee is bleeding!’ He protested as he gripped Eunhee’s arm tightly. Surprised, Eunhee looked down only to see that her knee was indeed bleeding.

Screw this.

‘I’m fine. Let me go, will you?’ Eunhee requested, irritation clear in her voice. She was already late and now there is this stranger who is holding her up. When she realized that the stranger had no plans of letting her go, Eunhee yanked her arm out of his grip. Readjusting the hold she had on the groceries, Eunhee walked away.

‘Yah! You may appear strong and all but you don’t fool me!’

Eyes wide, Eunhee paused mid-step, frozen. Who the hell is he? Noticing the state she was currently in, the stranger walked towards her with a big smile on his face.

‘Hello, I’m Yong Junhyung.’

-//-

‘Oppa, why do you keep visiting me? Don’t you have your upcoming album to prepare for?’ Eunhee asked as she sat next to Junhyung on the sandy beach. Ever since that fateful encounter, the duo had met up several times and became the best of friends. Eunhee knew more about Junhyung’s likes and dislikes while Junhyung found out all about Eunhee’s past, which resulted in him making sure that Eunhee was constantly happy and cared for. Although things were still the same at home and in school, Eunhee was really grateful for Junhyung. He was her personal sun; he cheered Eunhee up, he made Eunhee genuinely happy and he also made Eunhee feel loved. She now knew how it feels like to be happy and be loved and it is all because of one person—Yong Junhyung.

‘Yah, don’t you like having me around for company?’ Junhyung asked, frowning as he glanced at Eunhee.

‘Of course I do! But, I know that you are a busy guy and if you spend so much time with me, you will neglect your work!’ Eunhee stated with a small smile as she stared at him lovingly. Somewhere along the line, Eunhee had found herself falling in love with Junhyung. She did not exactly know how and when it happened but one thing for sure; she knew that she was in love.

‘It’s okay. You’re more important than my work.’

‘Aww, oppa. You’re so nice!’ said Eunhee as she made a heart with his hands. Chuckling heartily, Junhyung reciprocated the gesture.

‘I love you too, dongsaeng.’

In your eyes, I’m just a younger sister and nothing more.

-//-

‘Hey Eunhee, I need to tell you something today.’ Junhyung said simply as he played with his fingers. It was actually kind of girly, but Junhyung was just really really excited.

‘What?’ Eunhee asked, smiling as she saw how excited Junhyung was. It must definitely be a very good piece of news for Junhyung to be so happy and excited.

‘Do you know Goo Hara? Anyway, she’s from this idol group called Kara and I really really like her. Yesterday, I asked her out and she accepted!’

In an instant, Eunhee’s smile vanished as her entire world came crashing down. Yong Junhyung, the guy she is in love with, is in love with another girl. Yong Junhyung, the guy she is love with, is dating another girl.

‘Eunhee, are you alright?’ Junhyung asked, concern evident is in his voice.

‘Oh yeah, I’m fine.’ Eunhee smiled hastily as she reassured the latter. Her real smile was now gone as a fake smile made its reappearance after months of absence. Once again, Eunhee was back at square one, alone and hurt.

-//-

In order to get through the ‘Dark Period’, all one needs is a friend, a family member or a lover. With their help and guidance, getting through the ‘Dark Period’ will be much easier. Eunhee did not have anyone until Junhyung came along. Junhyung-- her best friend, her crush and her brother.

Under such circumstances, one would assume that Eunhee now finally get through the ‘Dark Period’. Sadly, even with him around, it will not be a big, significant help to her because she fell in love and her love was unfortunately, one-sided. Love, as pure as it is, it is still however, good at hurting people.

Everyone gets through the ‘Dark Period’ sooner or later. For Eunhee, it isn’t clear when. One thing is certain though, she needs another saviour.

-//-

Author's Note:

To be honest, I think the ending is really crap and kind of vague. Therefore, I'm thinking of writing a sequel to this. It's just a thought though. Anyway, please do leave a comment to tell me what you think of this oneshot ok! Thanks :)