It's a Deal, Okay?

It's a Deal (One Shot)

“Leaving already?” I asked Jaebum as I passed him in the hallway.

 

“Yeah. Big day tomorrow. What about you?”

 

“I, uh, still have some things to do before I go back to the dorm.”

 

“Oh yeah? Well Jinyoung’s in the practice room if you want to drop by to see him,” he said as his eyes smiled into a crescent shape.

 

“Oh okay,” I said, praying that the lack of lighting in the hall would hide my slight blush. I mentally kicked myself for letting my face get red at only the mention of his name. “Good luck with the showcase,” I replied quickly.

 

    “Thanks, Haerin. Tell Gaeul I said hi.”

 

I nodded before turning on my heels and continuing down the hall. The windows were dark since the sun had already gone down and the lights outside from the nearby buildings flickered against the black background. A sign on the wall read JYP ENTERTAINMENT. I slid my phone out of my back pocket to check the time. 10:38.

As I reached the practice room, I could see Jinyoung half-pacing, half-practicing with a focused look on his face through the small rectangular window of the studio door. He was alone, and certain very upbeat debut song played from inside the room. I bit back a laugh before pulling the door open quietly in a failed attempt to not disturb him.

 

“Hey,” he said when he saw my reflection from the mirror. He turned around to face me and smiled, crinkles appearing beside his eyes, and out of breath from dancing. “I didn’t know you were still here.”

 

I shrugged. “Shouldn’t you be the one going home to get some rest? You’ll need a lot of energy to perform tomorrow,” I said as I sat down with my back touching the cool surface of the mirrored wall. I rested my arms comfortably on my knees.

 

He smiled and walked over to the music player just as JB’s voice went now everybody, bounce! The sound cut off and it was quiet. He sat down next to me with his legs pulled up, his feet flat on the floor. He tilted his head back so that it leaned against the wall and closed his eyes, and for a second I could only focus on how his knee was only two centimeters away from mine. I studied his flawless side profile for a moment before he spoke.

 

“I already know you hate the song, so you don’t have to be so obvious about it.”

 

“Hey!” I defended myself, “I don’t hate it, it’s just very...cheesy.”

 

“Whatever,” he said. If his eyes weren't closed, I was sure I would have gotten some major eye roll.

 

I laughed at his blatant sass, which seemed to almost echo around the room. It was late, and the peaceful quiet of the vacant practice room made me sleepy. I liked how I could be with Jinyoung, and we wouldn’t have to talk. With him, I didn't have to push myself to try and make a conversation. Aside from the tiny increase I could feel in my heart rate, there was no one else I felt this comfortable around. Just sitting like this, it wasn’t even awkward, but relaxing. Despite my sleepiness, I smiled.

 

“What’s so funny now?”

 

“I just can’t believe you’re debuting tomorrow,” I said shaking my head.

 

There was a long pause before he sighed and said, “To be honest, Haerin, I’m really nervous. I’ve been having this huge fear for a long time...that we just won’t be successful. Or that I’ll mess up somehow and let JB hyung down. Oh God, I’m going to let everyone down.” His voice got way too serious.

 

I raised an eyebrow in disbelief. One of the most talented young performers I had ever met has the nerve to say that he’s insufficient? This boy was unbelievable.

 

“That’s ridiculous, Jinyoung.” I told him, cringing at my attempt to sound encouraging. “You’re under one of the biggest companies in the industry. You’ve trained so long. You’re funny and talented and good looking.”

 

He chuckled at my flattery, and his laughter made me laugh as well.

 

“You’ll  be a star. All the girls will be crazy for you,” I said into the empty space of the practice room. We sat silently for a while before he spoke.

 

“What about you?”

 

His question left me confused.

 

“What?” I asked.

 

“Do you like me?”

 

My heart rate quickened dramatically. I could feel his eyes were looking at me from the side but I avoided his gaze and stared into the white wall on the other side of the room. I automatically opened my mouth as if to deny it, but words seemed to get caught in my throat. Heat rose up to my cheeks as my brain scrambled to find an explanation, or maybe a lie. Defenseless, I gave up and confessed my answer in panic.

 

“Yes,” I said, still refusing to look in his direction.

 

“I like you too,” he stammered, “A lot.”

 

My eyes widened in surprise and my lips parted in a silent gasp. I sat up and turned to him. His eyes were on mine, and even in the dim lighting they gleamed. I was in denial, but once we made eye contact I knew that he meant what he said. I let out a short breath, almost like a laugh. I should've known that all this time he had liked me back.

 

I wanted to be happy, but I deep inside I couldn’t. Realistically, I knew it could never happen.

 

“Jinyoung,” I said with hesitation, trying to find the right words to say.

 

“It’s not going to work,” I said.

 

“I know.”

 

“You’re debuting tomorrow for god’s sake, think about your career! You’re going to be busier than ever. We’re not just normal teenagers. You don’t have time for dating and neither do I.”

 

He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration and let out a sigh.

    

“I know.”

 

He said it softer this time, and I immediately regretted what I said. It sounded too harsh, but I knew I was saying it to myself more than I was saying it to him. I was trying to get it through my mind that relationship right now was bound to fail. Especially one with him. Getting my hopes up would only end badly.

 

“Sorry,” I whispered, looking down at my shoes.

 

“It’s my fault. Maybe if I had told you earlier it would be different,” He said, his tone sounding heavy. I shook my head.

 

“It wouldn’t have made a difference, and its not your fault. Its just the way it is.”

 

With that, we were both silent. I didn’t like it. It wasn’t our normal, peaceful quiet. This was silence, and it was filled with uncertainty. I bit my lip, waiting for something to happen, but a long time we both just sat still, wrapped up in our own thoughts.

 

“Five years,” he said, breaking the silence.

 

“...Huh?”

 

“In five years we’ll both have debuted. We’ll have made a strong fanbase and a steady career. If we still feel the same way five years from now, we’ll date.”

 

I pondered this suggestion. Leave it to Jinyoung to come up with a crazy idea like this. A lot can happen in five years, I wanted to reply. But saying it would be like turning him down, and for some reason, I couldn’t bring myself to do that.

 

“Okay,” I said in a small voice. The corner of his mouth went up slightly in a smirk as he nonchalantly held out a hand for me to shake. I turned toward him, locking eyes with his for a second. I reached forward, but before I could shake his hand, he suddenly pressed his lips on mine. I widened my eyes in shock as he put his hand on my cheek, pulling me in closer. For a moment, I was reeling in surprise. We shouldn't be doing this. What if we get caught? And do I even like this boy enough to take this risk? I realized my answer to the last question immediately, and after that, nothing else mattered. I closed my eyes and kissed him back.  

Feeling my response, Jinyoung’s kisses became deeper. His lips moved smoothly against mine as he slipped his tongue in my mouth. Chills went through my body and I uncontrollably let out a sigh. I slid my hands up his chest and grabbed the fabric of his shirt, pulling us even closer while he wrapped his arms around my waist. After what seemed like a long flood of pure joy, I slowly pulled away.

 

I was speechless as I met Jinyoung's gaze and it seemed like we were alone in the whole world.

 

"Woah," he finally said absentmindedly, his eyes still locked on mine.

 

"Yeah."

 

With that small exchange of words reality came back to me. I felt heat burning in my cheeks once again, and I realized that my hands were still on his chest. Embarrassed, I removed them and looked away. I was in a state of disbelief as I replayed the kiss over and over in my mind. My train of thought was interrupted by Jinyoung's voice.

 

"So...I guess it's a deal," he murmured. I looked at him again, admiring his features, the soft and sparkling look in his eyes, and the perfect curve of his lips.

 

"Yeah, I guess it is," I said before leaning in to press my lips on his again.