017

Nothin' Like You

Just days later, the seniors were lined next to the mathematics and psychology department building. All wore black caps and gowns, and they helped each other to secure their tassels. Claire and Kai stood close to each other as their last names weren't too far apart, and both were fanning themselves under the intense heat. "Do you know when they're going to order us correctly?" Claire asked.

"No idea, why?"

"I'm sweating like a mofo and I don't know if I can handle this much longer. Why did the college have to use black robes? They're plain, they don't have our school colors, and they absorb heat like crazy..." she muttered.

Kai chuckled and wiped some sweat off of his temple, "No idea. I"m sure they'll order us soon though, I think most of the seniors are here already."

His prediction soon came true. Just minutes later, the class heads lined all the seniors up by order of last name. Once everyone stood in single file, with the beat of the drum, the line proceeded through the roads, to which the seniors all beamed at their families on the hills and sidewalks. Claire spotted her parents standing next to Kai's sisters while waving, and smiled gently as the sisters took pictures. Their families got along very well, to Claire's happiness. Kai's home-cooked food was also a success, given that her parents had very high standards for their daily meals. She smiled at these thoughts while following her peers down the main street of the college. Despite the heat, she would never forget her parents' grins, the sound of the trumpet, the clatter of heels on the road, and the wave of graduation caps that floated in front of and behind her.

Kai was content as he strolled in line with his peers, and periodically looked back to find Claire beaming at him. Never in a million years did he imagine to be in a relationship with the one girl he liked in college, and yet they have come so far. With each footstep, he and Claire were closer to the next chapter of their lives, and he was determined to make each day worthwhile.

Soon enough, the seniors sat in the chairs, and their families filed into the bleachers. The sun blazed down on them as the school's president delivered the welcoming speech, and some famous businessman gave the Commencement Address (Claire received a snoozing text from Kai during this moment, to which she held in her chuckle and replied with a ':P' emoticon). Then, as names were called and diplomas were handed out, cheers erupted from friends and family. Each graduate turned their tassel to the other side as they made their way off the stage, and the golden letters of their college illuminated in the sunlight.

Kai's name was soon called, to which their group of friends cheered in glee. As he made his way to the podium, Claire let out a loud, "Go Jongin!" to which he turned and cast her the happiest grin in his entire life. He gracefully received his diploma and a small ribbon pin-on, to which the President said, "Congratulations on the summa laude, Jongin." Kai beamed and received the well wishes before taking off the stage with a new sense of confidence.

Just minutes later, Claire walked with assertive steps to the stage to receive her own degree. Her friends cheered, and she smiled at her parents and Kai's family before shaking the President's hand. She felt a clammy grip, to which she asked, "Are you nervous, Mr. President?"

He simply winked and stated, "I'm not sure I'm not as nervous as you are, Claire."

She chuckled, "Yeah, I'm nervous and excited, I guess."

"That's quite alright. Congratulations, you've done wonderfully during your time here," he responded honestly.

"Thank you," she replied gratefully as she held her diploma and walked off the stage. After turning her tassel, she beamed at her boyfriend and felt more alive than she has in years. College was over, and she was soon headed off to the real world as an adult. Life couldn't be better.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Three weeks later, Claire and Kai were in Hong Kong on a small vacation before she began her work at the museum. One day, the two made their way to the Peak, to which Claire gazed in awe at Victoria Harbor, the skyscrapers that dotted the landscape, and the mountains that enclosed Hong Kong's surroundings. The sun was beginning to set, and splashes of orange and purple with a hint of wispy clouds decorated the sky.

Kai watched as the wind gently tousled his girlfriend's black locks and the warm sunlight graced her facial features. Her deep brown orbs looked back at his, and he felt himself falling all over again. "How are you feeling?" she asked him.

"I'm doing just fine," he smiled.

"How so? Want to explain?" she grinned

"Hmm, can I..." he started.

"You're leaving me hanging, you realize that?" Claire teased after waiting for a good ten seconds.

"Well," he began, "this feels almost surreal to me. Like a dream."

"A dream? What kind of dream?"

"A dream that I never want to leave," he completed as he wrapped his arms around her.

Claire smiled into her shoulders, "But this is reality, Jongin-ah..."

"Then this is the best reality I could ever ask for."

"Oh, you cheeseball," she laughed, "What do I do with you?"

"Eyyyyy, you love me anyway," he asserted in fake arrogance.

She decided to give him a peck on the cheek nonetheless, "Oh you, you're right, I do. Explain it to me though, yeah? What exactly makes this the best reality for you?"

"Well, I love that you're just so ... straightfoward with me," Kai started, "and I haven't met anyone like you before. You're just ... special."

He watched as Claire's own eyes widened before continuing, "Your intelligence is enough to surpass mine, and no, I'm not talking about grades. Your ability to cook Asian food is awesome, since I can't cook Asian, let alone Korean, food at all. You are always supportive and kind to everyone who needs you, and you're even more so to those you love. You're just so generous with everything, whether material or not. And lastly, I can feel like I'm completely myself when I'm with you. You're not judging me, you're not ridiculing me unless I'm doing something incredibly stupid," he said to Claire's giggles of agreement, "and you aren't afraid to be weird with me. Thank you for all that."

She smiled back at him. "I can't say anything to that, you've just taken my heart and made it all mushy and giggly."

"Well, I'm glad I made you mushy and giggly," he laughed.

"I do agree though, there is no one and nothing else like you too. I have all I need right here with you."

Kai's mirthful expression morphed into one of love and affection, and before Claire could even register what was happening, he cupped her face in his hand and captured her lips in his own. As their breathing ran in sync and the nerves of their lips sent sparks and shivers down their spines, onlookers could only smile as they watched a real-life movie scene play out before their eyes. The elderly were reminded of their own past romantic lives, and the young wished for their own true love. For Kai and Claire, they wouldn't ask for anything else but each other's love, trust, and support as they will soon encounter a new chapter of their lives. 

 

 

 

 


Hey everyone, this is the last chapter! I just want to send a huge, HUGE THANK YOUUUUU to all of you who've read my story and who've subscribed/commented/supported this story! Experimentation phase one is complete! Hope you all enjoyed a taste of life with this one!

I will also let you in on a little secret of mine with regards to this story. What I've written is a very loose interpretation of some parts of my own life. I've changed a lot of it to make the story a bit more interesting (because my life was definitely not like a story, hehehe), but writing this has been very memorable for me nonetheless. Because of this, thank you all for following me on a little personal journey of mine. 

That said, I'm posting a poll here for you! Do any of you want a sequel? (This sequel will not be of my own life, but it will be Claire and Jongin's own story). Let me know below!

Thanks once again, and love you all!

xoxo shadowonsapphire