I'm Latching On to You

Latch

“Tell me why do I have to get up and work again?”

 

“Because your company needs you Chanyeol. So please get up and drag your sorry so we can go to that godforsaken hell hole we call office. Please,” Jongin snapped as he pulled the duvet away.

 

It was already 8am and Chanyeol can still feel his body begging for more rest.

 

“I'm pretty sure that's not how you're supposed to talk to your boss." Chanyeol grumbled as he dragged his hands across his face tiredly.

 

“I'm pretty sure bosses don't wake up late when they have an important meeting in less than 2 hours, nor do they rely on their trusty best friend to drag them out of bed.”

 

“Touche.”

 

“Now Chanyeol, I do enjoy having this lovely conversation with you but we really need to go in 15 minutes or you'll miss the meeting you stayed up late for.”

 

“Yes mother. Now go away and I'll take a shower.”

 

“Okay fine, but just make sure that you'll wear something decent, and not something a 5 year old would pick out from your closet.”

 

“You're a meanie Jonginnie." Chanyeol pouted.

 

“Again. Not a 5 year old got it?" Jongin glared at him.“Wear that nice Gucci shirt you wore for my engagement party.”

 

“Ugh. Fine.”

 

At only 25, Chanyeol was at the top of the world. He took over his father's architecture firm and took the world by storm. Granted his father already built a good reputation and amassed great clients as a stable foundation, but Chanyeol's natural talents just took the company miles further.

 

Today was the final discussion about the luxury resort they were about to build; it aimed to be the biggest one in Korea yet. It was one of the more ambitious projects that Chanyeol had taken on. It was a lot of hard work but it was worth it.

 

“Oh yeah, your new secretary should be starting today according to Kyungsoo," Jongin said as he started up his car and waited for Chanyeol to finally get in.

 

“Well that took forever to find!”

 

“Don't you dare pin this on my cute husband-to-be, Chanyeol. Your secretary just left the company for no apparent reason last week!”

 

“Whatever. I'm sure Kyungsoo could've hired a replacement easily but knowing your obsessive compulsive fiancee, he probably required a recommendation letter from the country's president just to become my secretary.”

 

“We only want the best, of course. No need for a repeat of what happened last week,” Jongin smirked as he wove through the traffic like he was Vin Diesel on Fast 7.

 

“True that."

 

And Chanyeol swore he knew deep down his heart that his friend only wanted the best for him. Someone who could keep up with his mood swings. Someone strong enough on their own, someone who wouldn't be swayed just because Chanyeol was their boss. Someone clever, because god knows Chanyeol hates people who can't hold a good conversation. Just because they're the secretary doesn't mean they have to be dim witted. Chanyeol wanted someone he can trust; someone who won't let him down whenever he's not around the office.

 

But what the actual .

 

Though Chanyeol admits he is quite picky with people, he's also certain that his standards aren't impossibly high. Surely, a lot of people are viable for the position.

 

And apparently, these people include Byun Baekhyun.

 

But there's just one teeny, tiny problem.

 

Chanyeol didn't want his almost-lover-ex thing that he never really got over from Uni to be his secretary.

 

“Good morning Chanyeol," Baekhyun greeted with a warm familiar smile on his lips, a Starbucks grande White Chocolate Mocha on his left hand, an Ipad on the other.

 

Chanyeol could only stare.

 

“I got decaf. You still like your coffee to be decaf right? I never really got the chance to ask Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun said as he handed the beverage to Chanyeol.

 

Thank the heavens Chanyeol wore his best fitting suit because he swore Baekhyun still looked as breath taking as he could remember. And it wouldn't be fair if he looked like trash compared to this God given beauty.

 

Jongin smiled at him almost as if he knew something Chanyeol didn't when everything clicked into place. The er. He planned the whole thing with his demonic husband to be.

 

“Hi Baek..hyun," Chanyeol caught himself last minute from calling out a personal nickname he used for the other in the past. “I didn't expect you to be here.” And it was the truth because last he heard, Baekhyun was in America making a name for his own as an artist.

 

“I didn't either. Kyungsoo found out I came home a few days ago. Asked if I could do him a favor and be a secretary while I'm staying in the country.”

 

Chanyeol deflated. “Oh, so you're here only temporarily?”

 

“That really depends on the situation. But why don't we get going? The clients should be here any minute and we want to be prepared for everything for their arrival don't we?"

 

“Of course.”

 

Meetings like this shouldn't be hard. He has done this more than enough times that he shouldn't feel like he's back in junior year trying to defend his thesis. This meeting was only held to finalize the contract and go over the final details they decided to change during their previous meeting. There was no one left to impress as the clients already loved his ideas, and it was only necessary for formality's sake.

 

But Baekhyun's presence in the room was making him feel like he was 19 all over again and trying desperately to impress the people around him. He's feeling jittery but he can't even blame the coffee because the guy remembered that he can't drink anything that isn't decaf or he'll probably die from anxiety. He even got him his favorite drink to boot.

 

“Great work today Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said. “Although I couldn't understand most of what you said, I think you really did well. The clients loved you.”

 

Chanyeol quirked an eyebrow. Well do you think you could love me too?

 

“Thank you. I don't think I could have done it without my team. And I think they were mostly distracted by your beauty though.”

 

“You flatter me too much. But I know for a fact your elf ears distracted them more than I did.” Baekhyun shot back with a smile and pulled at the said ears playfully.

 

“Wow, I expected an awkward reunion of sorts but never imagined this. Just wow, you lovebirds. Quit flirting around. We're in a professional environment. Control yourselves please!” Kyungsoo chose to interrupt that moment.

 

Baekhyun only smirked before he tackled Kyungsoo and tried to wrestle him into a headlock.

 

“So..do you love your new secretary?” Jongin asked.

 

“Yeah..he's perfect,” Chanyeol blurted out as he watched Kyungsoo effortlessly outpower Baekhyun and instead got him into a headlock. He froze when he finally caught what he said and looked at Jongin in horror.

 

“Don't worry buddy. We all know you do,” he said reassuringly and patted Chanyeol on the back. “Hey Soo? Where did we reserve for lunch out again?”

 

“Army Navy of course. Let's celebrate like old times yeah?" Kyungsoo said out loud and the genuine smile threw Chanyeol for a serious throwback.

 

Because the scene is so familiar with just the four of them together, back in college. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun singing without a care in the world, Jongin making weird noises as he tries to make a remix of whatever  the two boys were singing. And Chanyeol was only there for the laughs and smiles. Baekhyun's smiles in particular.

 

It never really made much sense why he never got the courage to make things official with Baekhyun back then. They were perfect for each other, which was obvious to everyone including themselves. It was a stupid move to let the other go when he said he'll be moving to another country without telling him how much the brunette meant to him.

 

“Chanyeol? Are you okay? You're spacing out,” Baekhyun asked as he waved a hand in front of the CEO's face.

 

“Don't mind him Baek, he may be a CEO now but he's still stupid,” Kyungsoo answered for Chanyeol who was obviously still in a daze with no clue on how the hell was he supposed to act in front of a crush/ex-almost-lover.

 

“Well I'm glad that some things never really changed,” Baekhyun said so softly that Chanyeol almost didn't hear it despite the other being so close to him. “I'm glad you're still the same old Chanyeol. You're just much more handsome now,” Baekhyun smiled up at him.

 

And Chanyeol swore he saw the heavens open up and heard angels sing because this was it. The second chance that he was desperately hoping for.

 

“Hey Baek..would you like to…”Chanyeol started as he reached out for Baekhyun's hand and damn it the eye smile he was being blessed with is making him weak in the knees.

 

“Let's go Baek! I'm starving!” Kyungsoo interrupted as he pulled Baekhyun away from Chanyeol and threw a smirk over his shoulder as his bestfriend went along with him.

 

That devil incarnate blocker. Some things do never change.

 

But before Chanyeol could plot how he would like to end Do Kyungsoo's life with his bare hands, Baekhyun looked back at him, puppy eyes smiling adorably at him. He slipped out of Kyungsoo's grip and held out his hand for him.

 

“Let's go Yeol,” he said with the tiniest hint of embarrassment in his voice.

 

Chanyeol didn't need to be told twice. He walked towards the most beautiful man he has ever met and grabbed his hand.

 

“It would be okay if I never let go of your hand right?" He said as he leaned down slightly and brushed his thumb over Baekhyun's cheek.

 

“Silly Chanyeol. I wouldn't have reached out my hand if I wanted you to let me go,” Baekhyun replied as he brought their foreheads together. “Besides, I have no plans of letting go of you again either,” he breathed out before finally getting the long overdue kiss they both wanted.