Three's A Crowd (1/2)

Three's A Crowd

(A/N: So you guys wanted the hehehe, be prepared for very fluffy XiuChen y times and very whiny pregnant Jongdae! Warning: mpreg. I also split this into two parts because I felt bad about making you wait so long! Sorry!)

The thought first crossed Jongdae's mind when he was lying alone in their bed at 11am staring at the ceiling. Minseok was in their study a few doors down editing some photos (of him nonetheless), and it all seemed too quiet. They worked off of each other, so he couldn't really do much until the photos were done. He had nothing to do for the day and Minseok would probably be working for hours. Of course, it wasn't his fault, it was work and couldn't be helped, but Jongdae couldn't help but feel a little empty, like something was missing. He shrugged it off and got out of bed, at the time putting it down to hunger. Leaving Minseok to work with a peck on the lips and breakfast, he was almost relieved when Baekhyun called and asked him to babysit for the day. The other had been struggling to juggle work with taking care of he and Chanyeol's toddler recently. The little girl was a handful but easily the best thing to happen to either of them, and Jongdae took any and every opportunity to shower his goddaughter with affection. Baekhyun's shirt was splattered with what looked like either paint or very brightly coloured food when he answered the door to him, Chanri rested comfortably on his hip. "Sorry about this, I wouldn't call if it wasn't an emergency. But Jongin's got a fever and Kyungsoo's refusing to let him work so guess who's been called in to cover his all-day shoot? And Yeol's not even the photographer."

"Baek, it's fine, seriously. You know I love looking after the little munchkin." Jongdae waved off his concerns. "I was only going to do nothing all day anyway."

"Yeah, I know. I just wish I didn't have to... But anyway, you know where everything is, don't give her too much chocolate." They both shuddered at the thought of what had happened the time before last that Jongdae babysat. There had been so much vomit. "Uhh, her buggy is in the hall if you wanna take her out, you've got all the emergency numbers. I should be home around 6, but Yeol might be back earlier."

"I got this, go change." He took the toddler from her father and ushered the panicky male into his room to change out of the stained shirt.

"I think that's everything, if yo-"

"Need you, just call. But only if she's, like, fatally injured. Don't call without emergency." Jongdae finished. "I might take her to the cafe to see Sehunnie and Taozi and then to the park."

"Sounds like fun, you can walk me to work if you want."

 

"Yifan and I set a date for the wedding." Tao grinned as he slid into the booth next to Sehun.

"Finally." He and Jongdae said in unison, smiling at their friend.

"I know, I know. So clear your diaries for October 17th."

"So soon? That's like four months away."Jongdae spoke while feeding bits of cookie to the two-year-old in his lap.

"Yeah, but we've been planning it for ages, and we just thought why wait?" The Chinese male was grinning from ear to ear. "It's gonna be so pretty with the Autumn leaves and stuff."

"Y'know, I think this is going to be the first actual wedding we've gone to." Sehun stated.

"Surely not, I mean..." Jongdae frowned as he thought back to the marriages in their circle of friends.

"You and Minseok got married in the registry office with only us there, Baek and Yeol eloped to America for six months and came back married and pregnant, without even telling us." Tao huffed.

"You're still not over that, are you?" Jongdae snorted.

"No, I am not."

"Anyway, where were we? Right, Yixing and Joonmyun hyung had Yilang and adopted Joohyuk, I don't even think getting married has crossed their minds. Jongin and Soo hyung had Joonmyun officiated and got married here, and Lu's proposing to me soon." Sehun finished smugly.

"Wait, how do you..." Tao trailed off in confusion.

"I saw the ring in his underwear drawer, he's crap at hiding things." The youngest grinned.

"Wow, I can't believe your guys' wedding is going to be the first actual wedding, even though most of us are married." Jongdae smiled at Tao. "I take it yours and Luhan's is going to be planned 'properly' too?" He then addressed Sehun, who nodded.

"Your weddings aren't going to happen if you two don't get back to work in about 0.2 seconds." A stern voice caused them all to look up into the slightly angry eyes of Kyungsoo. Exchanging terrified looks, Sehun and Tao jumped up with shouts of 'yes boss!' and 'sorry hyung!' before running back behind the counter and into the kitchen respectively. "Oh, and Tao?!"

"Yes?" The Chinese male squeaked, poking his head through the window that connected the cafe and kitchen.

"Congratulations." The older smiled, as if he hadn't just threatened them.

"Oh, um, thanks hyung."

"That was priceless." Jongdae chuckled. "Their faces were hilarious."

"Ah, I love being the boss." Kyungsoo grinned, pausing to coo at Chanri. "How come you've got this little cutie today, then?"

"Baek got called in to cover Jongin's photoshoot. How is he?"

"His fever was really high this morning and he's thrown up, but he promised me he was fine this afternoon and practically forced me to come to work." The younger frowned.

"You say that like you work across the city from your apartment, not literally downstairs." Jongdae rolled his eyes and dabbed around Chanri's mouth to clear the remnants of her cookie.

"You're really good with her, y'know. Like, I don't even think she's that good when Chanyeol feeds her."

"It was just a cookie, Soo. And I'm her godfather and default babysitter, I kinda have to be." He replied, and the other just smiled knowingly at him. Jongdae brushed it off, there was no way Kyungsoo was insinuating anything, right?

 

Jongdae looked down at the tugging on his sleeve and beamed down at the little boy who greeted him with an enthusiastic "Uncle Jongdae!"

"Hey Joohyukkie." He pulled the four-year-old up into his lap.

"Joohyuk! Hyukkie, please don't run off like this!" Jongdae snapped his head around at the voice of his distressed friend. Yixing looked around frantically, tightly holding his daughter's hand as they walked.

"Xing! He's here, it's okay!"

"Oh, Jongdae! Thank god. You have got to stop running off like that." The father of two gave a pointed stare at his son.

"B-but I saw Uncle Jongdae!" Anybody knew Yixing was a er for his (or any) kids' pouts, and he sighed before pulling Joohyuk into a hug.

"Okay, but be sure to tell me next time, alright?" At the boy's nod he ruffled his hair and grinned. "Why don't you go and play?" And they watched as he enthusiastically ran over to the playground equipment. Yilang was still clinging onto her father, she'd always been more on the shy side.

"Did you hear Tao and Yifan set a date for their wedding?"

"Yeah, it should be pretty with all the autumn scenery." Yixing grinned and Jongdae nodded.

"Y'know, Sehun was talking about how this is going to be the first actual proper wedding we've been to. Cause, well, Minseok and I got married in the registry office, Kyungsoo and Jongin had Myun officiated and Baek and Yeol eloped."

"Oh yeah, I never really thought about that."

"So what about you and Joonmyun, huh? Is he planning to put a ring on it any time soon?" Jongdae wiggled his eyebrows mischievously but Yixing just laughed.

"Seriously? We're fine with the kids, we don't need to get married to show our love, it's just not our style. Plus, I mean, we're already soulmates."

"That's quite a refreshing take on it... But you know Tao and Yifan take every opportunity to have an awesome party, and this is their wedding. I'm expecting ice sculptures and other fancy needless stuff."

"Yeah, I'm going to be disappointed if the cake isn't at least four tiers. How about you and Minseok then? Any plans for the future as of yet?"

"Nah," Jongdae shrugged. "We're fine."

"Just 'fine'?" Yixing frowned. Jongdae was usually bubbly and happy when talking about his soulmate, gushing about how romantic Minseok was or how happy they were.

"Yeah..." Jongdae thought back to the quiet, empty feeling he had gotten that morning. Maybe it was more than hunger, maybe something was wrong. But they were happy. Neither of them often did anything to upset the other, they saw each other regularly, the was great. He couldn't pinpoint it.

 

He dwelled on it for another week, analysing their actions in hope of coming to a conclusion. They woke up, they had breakfast, sometimes they had work, sometimes they watched TV or cuddled, they ate, sometimes they went out, sometimes they were in the mood, they fell asleep. It was normal. They had a great relationship, with awesome friends and good jobs. There was nothing that should have left him feeling empty, wanting more. More of what, he wasn't sure. And that was the worst part. He didn't know what he wanted. "Babe, are you okay?"

"W-what?" Jongdae was dragged out of his thoughts by Minseok tugging on his sleeve. They were cuddling on the sofa, the ending credits to movie that, if you asked, Jongdae would have no understanding of, playing.

"You've been staring at the finger painting on the fridge Chanri did for like ten minutes."

"Oh-oh, I have?"

"Dae, why do you keep stuttering? It's just me." His husband frowned. "Is something wrong?"

"No! Everything's normal, everything's fine! I'm gonna go take a shower, I'll see you in bed, okay?"

"Okay?" Minseok replied, dragging out the 'o'. And with that, Jongdae got up and left the room, leaving the elder sitting on the sofa watching after him until he heard the shower turn on, thoroughly confused and a little concerned. He got up and began to clear the living room of their clutter, searching his mind for anything that could've happened to affect his husband's behaviour. Maybe he was just having an off day?

Meanwhile, Jongdae stood under the chilly spray of their shower, cursing himself for freaking out on Minseok like that.This was just some stupid quarter-life crisis thing he was going through, he'd get over it. And there was no way he could tell Minseok that he thought something was missing from their relationship, it'd crush him. But obviously going through this alone wasn't working; he needed some advice. 'I'll sleep on it' he thought. 'And in the morning if it's still bad, I'll talk to Baek'.

 

"I don't get it." Jongdae sighed. "I waited three and a half years to find Minseok, but why do I feel like there's still something missing?"

"Is he satisfying you in the bedroom?" Baekhyun was quite blunt about the issue as he carried on spoon-feeding his daughter.

"Yes! Oh my god, I can't believe you just asked me that. There are children here!"

"One child, unless you're counting yourself seeing as you can't talk about with a straight face." The other snorted. "Plus, Chanri's two, she can barely form a sentence, let alone understand what we're talking about. Anyway, what about romantically?"

"Yes, yes. Minseok's fine, he's perfect! I don't know... Have you ever felt like this with Chanyeol?"

"Well he's always been there with me, I've always had him. We didn't really change much after we became soulmates."

"Other than the gross PDA." Jongdae cut in.

"Do you want my help or not? Maybe it's not your relationship that's missing something..." He wiped Chanri's mouth and lifted her out of the highchair to settle on his hip. "Have you guys ever talked about kids?"

"Kids?!" Jongdae almost spit out his juice.

"I'll take that as a no, then." Baekhyun chuckled.

"Well... Yeah, I guess I want kids with Seok, but how do you bring that up? And how do I even know that that's why I've been freaking out for the past week and a half?"

"I dunno, Yeol knocked me up in a hotel in Vegas on our wedding night, we didn't exactly sit down and plan it."

"Thanks, I'll try that."

"Hey, don't get sassy with me, Kim Jongdae. I've sat here listening to you for the past hour, and I did offer a suggestion. I really can't think of any other reason, if I'm honest. Just, when you're ready, sit him down and bring up the subject of kids. Talk about how you've been spending more time with Chanri, Yilang and Joohyuk lately, maybe drop in that you wouldn't mind having one of your own. Be casual about it. I'd talk to Myun and Xing too, you know how much time they thought about having kids before talking about it and having Yilang, and then again before adopting Joohyuk."

"Yeah... Yeah that's good. Thanks Baekhy- oh crap!"

"What?!"

"I'm gonna be late to meet Minseok for dinner!"

"Damn, go! Have fun, good luck! I'd say use protection but that doesn't seem to be the issue right now!"

"Shut up!"

 

Minseok frowned. Jongdae had been staring out of the window of the restaurant they were eating in for the past five minutes. He reached over and squeezed his husband's hand, causing the younger to jump and turn to him like a deer in headlights. "Huh?!"

"Something interesting over at the children's playground?" He smirked. "I asked if you knew what you wanted?"

"I want a kid."

"What?!" Minseok nearly spit out the wine he'd made the mistake of sipping.

"N-no!" Jongdae spluttered. ! Abort mission! "I said I wanted the squid!"

"Dae, we're in a steakhouse..."

"Oh, so we are. How silly of me." Jongdae chuckled nervously.

"Are you sure you're okay? I could've sworn you said you wanted a k-"

"I said squid, Minseokkie!" He tried to cover his mistake with a laugh and some aegyo, but the suspicious look in his husband's eyes told him that the conversation was not at all over.

"Okay, baby. Are you ready to order?"

 

"Joonmyun hyung! Help me! This is an emergency!" Jondae screeched into his phone while pacing the living room like a madman.

"Is it really, Jongdae? Because last time you said that, you wanted me to come open a jar of jam at 3am." The older sighed, and Jongdae could hear the sounds of his two kids playing around in the background, reminding him of his problem.

"I was hungry! Anyway, no, this is like code red level emergency."

"What's wrong?"

"Okay, so recently I've been feeling really weird around Minseok. Like, there's something missing, but I don't know what! We're great, y'know, we're happy! But yeah, I got this feeling and at first I thought I was just hungry again but it wouldn't go away, and then Soo said something about me being really good at looking after Chanri, and I bumped into Yixing at the park with the kids and I sort of felt even weirder, but like a good weird. So, I asked Baek and he started talking about kids and stuff and told me to talk to you and Xing about it but I wasn't sure... Then at dinner on Friday night Minseok asked me what I wanted and I blurted out 'I want a kid'. I covered it up and said I meant squid but he still looked suspicious. I didn't wanna talk to him about it yet but I just said it without thinking and he hasn't mentioned it in the past three days and I'm freaking out and all I can think about is mini Minseoks running about and it gives me that good weird feeling and gAH HELP MEEEE!" The line was silent for a couple of minutes as Jongdae tried to calm himself down and Joonmyun proccessed what had just been shouted at him. "Hyung? You there?"

"Yeah... So, let me get this straight. You found out that you want kids with Minseok through these weird but good feelings but you don't know how to bring it up to him and then accidentally told him over dinner?"

"More or less."

"Great!" Joonmyun grinned. "Then just tell him. Honestly, I stressed about it for way too long before telling Yixing."

"What am I supposed to say?! 'Oh, hey babe, remember the other night when you thought I said kid but I denied it? Turns out you were right and I want to bear your children, please impregnate me!'"

"Hey, man, whatever works for you."

"You're no help." The younger pouted even though he knew the other couldn't see him.

"Sorry Dae. Anyway, I gotta go. The munchkins need feeding... Are you sure you're ready for this?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

"Alright, good luck. Bye!"

"Bye." And with that Jongdae hung up and turned around to go into the kitchen to fix some dinner. Only he stopped in his tracks at the sight of a slack-jawed Minseok standing in the doorway. "Crap."