Bye Bye Love

Bye Bye Love

"Hey! It's Jessica! I'm kinda busy right now. so please leave message after the beep, and I'll get back to you as soon as i can!"

*beep*

"Umm. Hey Jessica, it's me, Kris ... again. I know I've been sending so many voicemails already. And maybe you're already getting tired of me. But you know this is the only way I can hear your voice right?" the man let out a sigh. "I miss you Jessica, please call me back ... please ... I love you"

--

"Take 5 everyone! Take 5!" the director said and the man suddenly ran off to his dressing room.

When he arrived at the dressing room, he closed the door and speed dialed number one.

*ring ring*

"Hey! It's Jessica! I'm kinda busy right now. So please leave message after the beep, and I'll get back to you as soon as i can!"

Yeah. I hope you can. The man said on his mind

"Hey Jessica, for the hundredth time, it's me Kris. I'm on the set now and we just got a five minute break so i thought i could use it to call you. Well, you didn't answer though.  but anyway, remember when i told you that I'm starring in my own movie? You're going to watch me right?" the man sat down in a swivel chair and made it spin. "You know, it's been a long time since i visited you, because i got busy in this movie thingy you know. but i promise i will visit you as soon i  can."

The man smiled at the memory that came into his mind. "Hey, this just came to my mind. Remember the time when we went to a haunted house? You got scared of the fake zombies and ghosts and you held on to me so tight that i thought my arm was going to fall off. You also screamed that time which made everyone flinch because of your dolphin scream. My eardrums was the most damaged one since i was the one beside you." the man chuckled "oh i miss that time, i wish we can do it again."

Someone knocked on the dressing room door.

"Mr. Wu Yi Fan, the director is calling you on set" a staff told him. The man just nodded which gave assurance to the staff.

"Hey Jessica. I need to go now. I'll call you later okay?" then he hung up.

When the man came to the set, his tiredness was gone because of the phone call he made. Well, a voicemail rather.

"Hey, Kris. You're smiling. What did you do?" his manager asked since he rarely smiled. Unless he's in the set that is, using that actor smile to capture the emotion of the character of the series.

"Nothing much. Just made a call."

his manager sighed and scratched his head. "You know, you have to stop leaving messages to a phone where she'll never see or hear your messages"

Kris frowned "but it's the only way i can hear her voice ... that's not asking who i am or shouting at me to go away."

"You know her situation right?"

"Yeah. But it’s the only way i could think of to be happy, and have motivation." tears are starting to build up in his eyes

His manager just patted him in the back. "You know, instead of leaving tons of voicemails, you could talk to her in person. I know she misses you."

He wiped the tears before they fell from his eyes. "Maybe I will. But not now, i don't have enough courage to see her yet. I might breakdown in front of her. And I don’t want her to see that."

"Okay, just tell me if you're ready. I'll accompany you." his manager said and he pushed the man from the back "now you go there and finish this movie. I'm getting tired of sitting in the corner and getting shouted at by that grumpy director of yours."

The man chuckled and walk to the set to finish the last day of their filming.

--

"It's time Kris. Get in" his manager said to him and pushed him slightly to the hospital room.

"I-I can't. Let's come back next time." the man turned away from the door and started walking, but his manager held the back of his collar to stop him.

"Dude, i know you’re scared. But you have to face it sooner or later. And instead of doing it later, why not do it now? You have to face your fears, or else nothing will happen to you" the man sighed in defeat and held the bouquet of tulips tightly.

"You know, I'm really lucky to have a manager like you, who’s at the same time, my father and best friend" he smiled at his manager and slowly entered the room.

When he entered, the door closed automatically, which made him more nervous since he's stuck in a room with the girl he loves so dearly at the same time, he fears the most. The girl was looking outside the window, not even noticing his presence.

After some arguing with his own mind, he slowly walks towards the girl sitting on the bed still staring blankly at the window, still ignoring his presence. He looked at her whole with sympathy in his eyes, she was so thin to the point that her skin was wrinkly and saggy. He made a fake cough to capture her attention, which succeeded and took the whole attention of the girl away from the window and totally to him.

He swallowed the lump in his throat "h-hey" he said, expecting a reply like "hi" or maybe a simple nod. But the girl did nothing but stare at him blankly.

The man sat on the stool right beside the hospital bed of the girl. "Umm. Flowers for you." he gave the bouquet of tulips which she accepted but still no reply.

"Hey Jessica, how are you? It's been a long time since i visited you. I'm sorry about that, it's just that, i became busy with work since I'm the star of my new movie." he looked at her straight in the eyes searching for any emotion that could give him hope. But sadly, there was none.

He held her hand and squeezed it lightly like the way he used to. Oh, how he missed her so. But it seems that the girl doesn't miss him in anyway. He let out a sigh, reminiscing about the good times they had together. He just told stories about their past, while she just listened and stare at the man beside her.

By the door, the man's manager closed the door silently to give them privacy. He felt a small sting of sadness in his heart at the sight of the two. He went out to the rooftop garden of the hospital to get some fresh air and maybe to clear his thoughts. But it only gave him more thoughts to think about.

why does this have to happen to them?

why them of all people?

He thought.

Kris and Jessica were very special to him. Not only that he watched them grew up in front of his eyes, but he saw how much love they had for each other. They were perfect for each other. Always understanding and caring for one another whatever comes in their way. They hated being apart even for just a day. No one ever tried getting between them, since they were kind to everyone they ever encounter. No one thought of anything that could ever break them apart.

Well, that was before a few months ago. Jessica was brought the hospital to be diagnosed with 3rd stage brain cancer. Even before she was brought to the hospital, they noticed something weird happening to her. Like how she keeps on forgetting things and her personality changes from innocent into a crazy violent one. She wasn't that aggressive with any of her family and friends except for one person, the man who she used to treasure the most—Kris. She doesn't remember anything about him and she keeps on hurting him in anyway whenever she sees him. That made Kris fear her.

The manager looked up at the sky and whispered “oh please make a miracle. Please help them both”

---

Kris was just telling Jessica about things that they used to do together when Jessica was still in her normal state. And fortunately, she listened rather than shout at him to get out of the room.

"You know what, i actually got scared of you ... that's the real reason why i didn't visit you much.... I'm afraid that you might hurt me. But James, my manager, told me that i should face my fears or else nothing will happen to me. And now i kind of doubt what he said, because i faced my fears, which is you hurting me ... but nothing happened other than you just staring at me blankly." Kris chuckled and looked at Jessica.

"Hey, do you know it’s rude not talking back to people who are talking to you? Like, I've been talking here the whole time and that's not my style. I only do this because of you." Kris closed his eyes, thinking that he looks stupid trying to scold a girl who doesn't even remember him.

"Should i be thankful that you only become talkative when you're around me?" Kris opened his eyes in surprise by what he heard.

"Y-you .. y-you can ... h-how?" Kris just scratched his head in frustration because he couldn't speak out what's in his mind.

"I know there’s something wrong with me, but I know it doesn’t affect my mouth or my vocal chords." Jessica gave him a smile which made him dumbfounded.

"D-do you remember me?" Kris asks.

"hmm. By the sound of your voice, you’re the one who's been leaving tons of voicemails in my phone. What's your name again? uhh. Kiss? Kier? ugh. i can't remember. wait" Jessica slowly took a phone out of the drawer beside her bed and searched for something. Kris was just looking at her. Jessica not hurting him, and talking to him normally wasn't sinking in his mind just yet. When Jessica finally found something on her phone, she looked at Kris first. "This is you right? I kind of recognize the voice. I think."  Then she played a voicemail

"Hey Sica~

It's me Kris. i miss you so much right now. I want to visit you but I'm scared that you might hurt me again. I'm sorry for being scared. But don’t worry, i still love you all the same.

Take care of yourself okay? Krystal isn't always there to keep you company and I'm kinda busy at work to stand by your hospital room door for me to listen to you shouting at me in anger because you think I'm some robber stealing your strawberries.

I love you. You know that right? If you don't remember, well. I LOVE YOU!

Don't ever forget that okay? If ever you forget, just look at the stars at night. My love is bigger than the stars, maybe it could have been as big as the galaxy or more.

I love you. I won't ever get tired of saying that to you. No matter how many times you call me a tall freak, i will continue to love you no matter what. I love you, Sica

*Mr. Wu, the director is calling you now*

Hey Sica, I have to go now. I love you, and i thank you for listening to me, i guess. I'll visit you soon enough. Bye. I love you"

The voicemail ended, and Kris has his jaw dropped to the floor while looking at Jessica with shock

"H-how did you get your phone? Or remember the password? I thought you can't remember?" Kris asked when he recovered.

"There was a note in the back." Jessica showed Kris the back of her phone, where there is a small picture of both of them with a note on the bottom written: "my galaxy"

"I'm sorry" Jessica said. "Sorry for forgetting you and hurting you. You know my situation right?" she flashed a weak smile at Kris

Kris took her hand and kissed the back of it. "It's okay. I understand"

"Kris ... i need to go." Kris looked at her in the eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"I-I'm having dreams. A beautiful man covered in white bright light is calling me." Jessica squeezed Kris' hand like how he did it to her. "He told me to say goodbye to the person i love, and tell him that i have to go ... soon"

Kris hugged Jessica. "P-please don't go. Please don't leave me yet"

Jessica hugged back "but he said i need to go. And the doctor said I have a low chance of survival"

"P-Please. Don't go with him. Please stay with me." tears are starting to flow from Kris' eyes one by one "i-i love you. Please don't leave me"

"I-I love you too Kris. I'm sorry" Kris broke the hug and held Jessica's face and leaned in into a quick kiss and hugged her again

"K-kris. I need to go. The man is here now." Kris made the hug a little bit tighter not even thinking of letting go.

"Please don't go with him. Not yet. Please. Just give me enough time to get ready, please" Kris is already sobbing. Then suddenly, it was Jessica who broke the hug.

"I'm sorry hubby. I really need to go now. Don't worry. I'll always be with you, in the stars at night." Jessica smiled weakly and her breathing has become slower and deeper.

Kris held Jessica's face with his trembling hands for the last time and their lip locked together, feeling the last moments they have with each other. And when they finally let go, Jessica slowly closes her eyes. "Goodnight hubby. I love you"

"I-I love you too wifey. g-goodnight" Kris couldn't help it anymore. He finally broke down in front of the girl he loved lying there, lifeless.

Jessica was everything to Kris, and the same goes with Jessica. No one ever thought of anything that could ever separate them, not until now.

Kris stood up, wiping the tears in his eyes then leans forward to kiss the forehead of the lifeless Jessica "i love you, good bye" he whispered to her ears then pushed the button placed above the drawer to call the nurse, and he left. It was unbearable for him to see how the nurses take away the body of his beloved one, and the only solution he could think of is to leave.

He looked at her one last time before walking out the door. "Bye Bye my love" and he walked out.