Strawberry Milk

Strawberry Milk

 

A hot summer day, with clouds in the shapes of dinosaurs, dogs and cats. The breeze blew Jungkook's hair back and the sun tapped at the frames of his sunglasses. Small pebbles crushed below his old, once white shoes and he threw away the can of orange soda he was drinking into the trashcan on the side of the road. 

 

The location in which he traveled by bus to get to was now in view, a small shop with red white and blue pinwheels on each side of the door which was pink, chipped and had a loose doorknob.

 

Jungkook knocked once before letting himself in, breathing in the familiar smell of hairspray, hair dye and other cosmetics for maintaining hair. At first glance the place seems like nothing special, just another barber shop off highway 48. But to Jungkook, going to another shop to get his hair cut was something he'd never dream of doing. Not while Yein was still working there.

 

You could say Yein was something special to Jungkook. She was the only person in that barber shop that wouldn't freak out whenever he would start off wanting his hair a certain way, and then changing his mind halfway through. She was the only one who didn't give him dirty looks when he came in stinking of cigarettes. She was the only one who was curious about how his week has been thus far. A quick glance of Yein's smile often held the fate of his mood that day. Her long, golden hair which shined in the sunlight which peered through the windowsill of the shop often made Jungkook stop and stare in admiration. The white blouse and pink skirt she was told to wear as a uniform often left Jungkook leaving with rosy cheeks and a panging in his chest.

 

"Jungkook? Do you have an appointment?" A smiling Yein said approaching Jungkook, knocking him out of his daydream. He couldn't help but giggle at her hair tied up in a high ponytail, kept neat and together with a tight pink bow.

She began to blush when realizing that he was laughing at her, causing Jungkook to wave his hands in apology.

"I'm sorry, Yein~" He said, walking past her to one of the many leather chairs in the shop. He sat down, even putting the barber's cape on himself and smiling into the mirror at Yein's reflection behind him, approaching with an eye roll and red cheeks.

"You know, you're lucky I don't make you wear one of these uniforms and a hair bow too." Yein said, moving up to the counter where her hair supplies were located.

Jungkook only snorted, not keeping his eyes off of Yein who was now cleaning off her scissors and preparing to cut his hair.

"What's it gonna be this time?" She said, looking at him through the mirror, brushing through his hair with soft hands.

"Surprise me."

Yein's eyes widened, brushing through Jungkook's long and unkept hair. 

"You sure? I hear no hair is the new style these days."

Jungkook laughed at her silliness, leaning back in his chair to make it easier for her to brush through his hair.

"Just make my hair look as cute as you."

The red returned to Yein's cheeks as she avoided Jungkook's stare and smiled to herself, cutting away at the uneven ends of the boy's hair. She was quieter than usual, focusing solely on perfecting his new style. 

Breaking the silence, Jungkook teased Yein with a question she often asked him on days like this.

"Have you been staying hydrated, oppa? The weather's getting hotter and I wouldn't want you to pass out in the middle of the street."

Yein shook out of her quiet trance at the expression used to , laughing and spraying Jungkook's head with water from the spray bottle.

"You should never make fun of the person cutting your hair, Jungkook." She said with a chuckle, moving back to the counter to place the spray bottle and the scissors on the counter. Pausing for a minute, Yein crouched to retrieve something from one of the cabinents below.

Getting something out and turning back to Jungkook, it seemed to be milk in a glass bottle.

"Milk?" He said, furrowing his brows.

Yein mentally sighed, taking Jungkook's hand and placing the bottle in it. 

"It's strawberry milk, Kookie."  Yein said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Do you always give drinks to your customers?" Jungkook said, unscrewing the bottle cap and taking a long sip.

"Just the customers who let me experiment on them. Now shush and drink your milk while i finish up."

Jungkook obeyed, sipping happily and quietly as Yein cut, sprayed and combed his hair in a remarkable speed. Jungkook was barely done his 'strawberry' milk when Yein unhooked his barber's cape and shook the hair once on his head off onto the floor.

"Thoughts? I was conisdering shaving one half of your head after you teased me, but luckily for you I'm in a good mood today." Yein said, smiling at Jungkook through the mirror, who put down his milk to admire the new style.

"Wow, it looks really cool! I think this is the best you've ever done. What should we call this style?" He said, rubbing his hands through his upgraded hair, which was short on the sides but long and messy on the top.

Yein laughed in response, turning Jungkook's chair around to face her.

"Hold still.." She said, inching closer and closer to his face.

Jungkook's face felt like it was on the sun, becoming warmer as Yein came even closer. Their faces were now only inches away from eachother.

Then a dainty, manicured finger swiped slowly across his upper lip, causing him to close his eyes in embarrassment.

Opening them once again had Yein standing above him laughing with her finger sticking up in the air. Jungkook realized he probably had a milk mustache, which thanks to Yein was now gone.

How embarrassing...

"I think we should call it..." Yein said, making her way to the list of different hairstyles listed above the front counter of the barber shop. 

Taking a piece of pink chalk, she began writing the name of the new hair style she created specially for Jungkook.

"'Jungkook's Strawberry Milk Special'?" 

They both laughed at the name for a while, agreeing that it was the perfect name for such an interesting hairstyle. 

Jungkook rose from his chair, making his way over to the chalkboard where Yein was scribbling the name down.

Taking the chalk from her hand, Jungkook erased something from the board, and then wrote something in it's place.

"'Jungkook & Yein's Strawberry Milk Special' sounds better, don't you think?" He said, dropping the chalk onto the ledge of the board and placing a hand on Yein's face.

"Yeah, it does." Yein said softly, leaning in slowly towards him.

A small, quick kiss was enough for the two of them, both looking away afterwards feeling embarrassed and shy.

"So..." Jungkook said, clearing his throat, "How much this time?"

"Um..." A frazzled Yein responded, "It's on the house."

They both nodded, Jungkook heading towards the door and Yein heading back towards the front counter.

Even though he wanted to rush out of the door and run far away due to his embarrassment, Jungkook looked back at Yein behind the counter as he departed.

They both smiled when they met eachother's eyes, both of their hearts beating faster than it was moments before.

Jungkook waved to Yein, who waved shyly in response and then left the shop.

The breeze blew through Jungkooks hair, the sun tapped at the frames of his sunglasses, and just like two flowers on a hot summer day, a new relationship began to blossom.