001

A World Away

Hi fellow readers :) We do hope you enjoy reading this story, please do upvote and subscribe to us!! Thanks ❤ 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“What is wrong with you! Are you cheating on me with someone else!” Hye Jung yelled as tears started rolling down her cheeks.

“To what extent do you expect me to tolerate your stupid assumptions.” Kai retorted, his face fuming with anger. “If you think that I’m the one who is always leaving, why don’t you think about yourself first! Always leaving me to catch up with your male friends.”

His words pierced through her heart, a lump forming at the back of making her speechless “Let me out.”

The car swerved to the side as Kai took a sharp turn, jerking to the side before coming to a complete halt. “Get out! You wanted to leave.” He said in a demeaning tone. Hye Jung stormed out of the car before the male zoomed away, leaving her in a storm of fumes and dust. As he drove away, bright, blinking headlights reflected against his side mirror before the silence was filled with the screech of tyres and crushing of metal. He jammed onto the breaks and stumbled out of his car to inspect the misfortune. A lifeless figure laid in the middle of the road, covered in dark red. Kai walked closer towards the body, hot tears threatening to fall as it hit upon him that the lifeless figure was his only love, Kim Hye Jung.

His mind stopped working and his heart came to a halt. He bent down holding her limp body against his chest “Please don’t leave me, don’t close your eyes” he sobbed, shaking the girl. Her face was illuminated in the moonlight, reminding him of how beautiful she is. Fumbling into his pockets, he grabbed his phone and dialed for an ambulance with trembling fingers. He could no longer feel his legs, as the girl flinched in pain. Seconds turned into minutes, and the minutes turned into eternity as he waited for the familiar sirens to resonate through the air.

His prayers were answered as flashes of blue and red burned through his eyes, he hoisted her up as a swarm of paramedics started rushing to the scene, “Will she survive?” Kai  choked on his words, as tears continued to stream down his eyes.

“It depends, she has lost a lot of blood.” A female paramedic said hastily, before helping him place Hye Jung onto a stretcher. Kai hopped into the vehicle as they drove off. He watched as the nurses performed tests on her limp body, his heart was torn into pieces as he watched her lying there, wires attached to her body. The heart monitor haunted him as they drove to the hospital, the continuous monotonous beeps, assuring him whether she was gone or alive. He grabbed onto her hands, they were pale and cold to the touch, grasping them between his palms, he brought her hands to his chest praying for her safety.

Please be safe. Please be safe. He repeated those exact words in his mind. A paramedic, placed a hand on his shoulder, giving him an assuring grip “She’s going to be okay,” he said with a sad smile. However, those words did not convince his thoughts continued haunting him.

Please be safe. Don’t leave, stay. I need you.

-----------------------------

2 months later

“Oppa! How was work?” Hye Jung lunges towards Kai for a hug.

“Oh don’t tire yourself out.” He hugged her, carrying the petite girl back to the bed.

Kai kept his bag onto the couch next to the bed and snuggled next to the girl, he watched the girl slowly dozing off to sleep, tracing her soft features with the tip of his finger. He held onto her close, sighing in contentment. He is glad that she managed to survive that mishap that occurred to them months ago. He is glad that their hearts still continued to beat as one and mostly he is grateful, just for her presence. ‘I love you,’ he whispered, kissing the back of her hand.

She smiled as she brought herself closer to his chest, “I love you too.” she muttered, trying to keep her eyes wide open.

Hye Jung wasn’t as pretty as most girls out there, however, to Kai she was stunningly beautiful. From the way her eyes twinkle when they looked at one another, to the way her lips would curl into a smile, showing her perfect white teeth; he loved her to the very bits and pieces. Her laugh was his life’s soundtrack and her love was enough for him to survive. She was the only reason for him to breathe.

-------

“I’m sorry, I came so late. I feel guilty for not giving you anything on our 5th anniversary.” Kai said as he entered the hospital room.

 

“It’s ok, I’m happy with just your presence.” She blinked at him, placing a light kiss onto his lips.

 

Kai tightened his grip around her waist, her hair. “You know what? There was a strange customer who came to the cafe this morning.”

 

The girl looked up at him intently, waiting for him to continue.

 

“He was begging me for forgiveness and was blaming himself.” He paused.

 

“What did he say?” She asked.

 

“It’s fine, you don’t need to know.”

 

“I want to know!” Hye Jung demanded, pulling away from the hug.

 

“He said that you died.”

 

The girl turned away in shock, staring blankly out of the window.

Kai slowly got down on one knee holding a necklace with a ring attached to it, a gift that he gave her during their first anniversary and held a bouquet of roses firmly on the other hand. He remembered finding the necklace on the way back home; it was a sign of their everlasting love, a present which she had lost during the accident two months ago. Taking in a deep breath, he steadied himself to say those three words. “Kim Hye Jung, will you-”

 

The necklace fell from his grasp, clinking on to the cold hard ground, his head started spinning as his mind went into a blur.

Doctors were strewn all over the place, performing different tests on the lady struggling on the hospital bed. “Jongin-ah, please help me.” Hye Jung screamed as the doctors kept her down on the bed. He tried walking towards the girl but he felt himself being restrained. “Please, Jongin-” her voice slowly started fading away, replaced by a monotonous beep from the heart monitor.

His head was spinning as memories of Hye Jung started flashing in his mind, the precious moments that they spent together to that dreadful time when she almost lost her life. Kai felt a sharp pain on his hand, he looked down and saw blood gushing out from the wound as he wrapped his handkerchief around it. He looked around him and everything was blank, flowers were scattered all over the room and the ring had rolled off to a corner, a broken necklace hung around his hand as reality dawned upon him, the love of his life was long gone. A world away.