Chapter I

Rooftops

It's funny how easy it is to forget where you came from. How easy it is to forget the old corner stores and back alleyways you used to inhabit in your high school years. Dirty streets and flickering street lamps, the backdrop to teenage romance. Zooming cars and crying children, the soundtrack of adolescent angst. And Your dreams never reached above the light polluted skies. Never made it to the stars just above. But in spite of that you still spent long nights laying on rooftops staring at the stars that weren't there. Talking about your dreams and making promises you'd never actually be able to keep but you made them anyway because the world seemed so beautiful and endless from that rooftop. Seeing the dark blue sky reach out to the horizon made you feel invincible and inspired. So for that one moment on that one rooftop you screamed  your impossible dreams to the heavens. What’s even funnier is how fast that beautiful, electric moment evaporates in the cool air of morning when we leave the rooftop.

 

This is what filled Minseok's head on this night that was like every other, and he was right none of those promises were kept. The minute the night was over it disappears like steam, as if it had never existed at all.  Now he's left lying alone on that rooftop staring at the starless sky that no longer held unseen opportunity, but became what it had been all along...an empty sky.  He listened to the neighborhood below, hoping maybe in the mix of the sound he'll hear his voice but knowing he wouldn't.

 

"You know you'll get sick if you lay up here all night." Jongin sighed as he came out onto the roof with Minseok. Minseok sat up and looked and the younger.

 

"Maybe if I get sick I can get off work. That would be nice, right?" Minseok smiled.

 

"Yeah, it would be. But Minseok please don't tell me you were thinking about him again." Jongin sat down next to the older man and frowned. He was right, Minseok was. But only for a moment and not too deeply. Minseok just thought of him for a moment, and just a moment couldn’t hurt.

 

"...maybe." Minseok responded softly.

 

"Minseok, no matter how much you think of him that bastard isn't coming back." Jongin growled. He's right, he'll never come back. Everyone know that the ones that leave the neighborhood never come back.

 

"I know...it's just-"

 

"That he promised you the world? Made you fall so far in love that you would never forget him? I know." Jongin sighed. Was Minseok really that far gone? Did Minseok really love him that much?He would like the answer to be no but he knew better.

 

"What are you two chatting about?" Another voice came from the door. They turned to find Kris standing with a worried face.

 

"It's noth-"

 

"Minseok was thinking about Luhan again." Jongin blurted out. Minseok hit the younger on the arm. Kris would get mad if he knew. Kris hated Luhan.

 

"Minseok, really? You know that guy only ever cared about himself. He left us and everything we are behind. He betrayed our friendship so don't give him the pleasure of being remembered." Kris snapped.

 

"I'll try not too." Minseok looked away.

 

"Both of you come back down. Kyungsoo made dinner and he would be furious if you let it get cold." Kris commanded and then turned to leave. They were left alone on the rooftop again. Jongin stood up and walked to the door.

 

"He's right. Luhan left and you deserve better." He said and left the rooftop. Were they right? Did Minseok really deserve better? Could he even get someone better? Because there was a time where Luhan was the best that anyone could ever get, at least in Minseok eyes. On those mornings when Minseok would wake up and Luhan was smiling like Sunshine. Those times Luhan would drag him away to the back of the school and kiss him till he couldn't think straight anymore. Those were the times Minseok was convinced Luhan had to be the best. Minseok couldn't possibly find anyone better.

 

 

"Mr. Xiao are you ok?" The young woman standing in the doorway of the office asked the man standing across the room looking out the wall of windows. He was staring out on a booming metropolis. Extravagance and wealth sat before him embodied in the iron skyscrapers and the spotless glass towers. He pulled himself away to smile at the young woman.

 

"I'm fine, Antonia. You can call it a day. I have nothing more for you to do." He sighed. She looked surprised and looked over at the papers on the man's desk.

 

"Are you sure?" She frowned.

 

"Yes, I might spend some more time here but I want you to go home." He explained. She hesitated for a another moment and then finally left. Luhan stood alone now in the large empty office faced with nothing but piles of work and the lonely, loud city below. He often questions his choices when he has nights like these. Why did he ever leave the comfort of the neighborhood and friends? His rundown little apartment that he called home? The warm bed where he always woke up with the person he loved? Then he remembers that he left for that person he loved so he could make a better life for them. Make himself a better man for that person. Get Minseok out of that place and let him live in the luxury he deserved. He didn’t want all his promises of a beautiful and better life to go to waste. He wanted to give that to Minseok so desperately. Now he could and he would.

 

 

The next morning was just as cold as the night before and a layer of frost laid over everything. Minseok woke up and sat in bed in a daze. He stared around his sparsely decorated room, not able to to focus on anything in particular. He gave one last long stretch and finally got out of bed.

 

“Look who got his out of bed by himself this morning.” Kyungsoo stood in the doorway, smiling.

 

“Haha, yeah I’m up.” Minseok rolled his eyes and stood up, walking to the door.

 

“Breakfast is ready. Jongin already went down to the coffee shop so he’s opening up.” Kyungsoo as the walked down the hall.

 

“Kris?”

 

“Went to work, There’s a car in the garage that needs to be finished pretty early today.” Minseok breathed a sigh of relief. Kris was pissed at dinner last night. Even the mention of Luhan puts him in a bad mood for the rest of the day. Minseok was hoping he wouldn’t want to face him so early in the morning.

 

“I'll eat quickly. I don't want Jongin to be alone for the morning rush." Minseok said as he stuffed food in his mouth.

 

"What happened last night?" Kyungsoo asked out of the blue.

 

"What do you mean?" Minseok looked up.

 

"Jongin mentioned you were thinking of Luhan? Did something happen?" Kyungsoo looked concerned. Minseok appreciated that. Kyungsoo put his animosity aside to ask how Minseok felt.

 

"Last night was just one of those nights. Every sound and smell was just right. It all reminded me of him." Minseok sighed.

 

"I understand and I know Kris can be harsh but it's hard for him to get past how betrayed he felt. Him and Luhan were best friends. They were gonna run that garage together. Then Luhan just up and left. It doesn’t help their last conversation was an argument." Kyungsoo leaned on the counter.

 

"I know how he feels. I was gonna marry Luhan before he  just up and left." Minseok chuckled. Kyungsoo was silent and then smiled.

 

"Get to work." Kyungsoo shoved him.

 

"I'm going." Minseok got up and went to go change in his room.

 

 

The coffee shop was already busy by the time Minseok got there. He ran in and got behind the counter.

 

"Good morning, Minseok." An elderly  man approached the counter.

"Good morning Mr. Kang. What can I get you?" Minseok smiled.

"The usual." Mr. Kang smiled.

"Tea it is. How about you sit in the cafe today, Mr. Kang. It's too cold today to be walking around. I'll even throw in a croissant for free." Minseok suggested.

 

"You drive a hard bargain. I accept! I'll take a seat by the window." Mr. Kang nodded and went to take a seat after paying for the tea. Minseok went to the back and put on his apron.

 

"You're here." Jongin smiled as he saw the older.

 

"Yeah, I'm taking care of an order right now so go work the register." Minseok motioned his head to the door out to the floor.

 

"On it!" Jongin jogged out. Minseok finished getting ready and went immediately to work on Mr. Kang's tea. He worked happily and set everything out on a tray. He stepped out on to the floor and started towards Mr. Kang's table by the window.

 

"Minseok." Someone called his name and Minseok stopped and look towards the door expecting another one of his regular customers. But when Minseok saw who it was all he could do was stand there in silence. His eyes went wide and suddenly it felt like the world had stopped. Everything happened in slow motion. The tray slipped from his hand, Jongin came out from behind the counter, and Minseok stood staring down his demons.

 

 

Author's Note
That's it! It's short, I know but I wanted it to be more quality over quantity. I can't guarantee every chapter will be this short though. The sizes will most likely vary! I am probably going have the second chapter out this week as well and depending on how long that one is maybe even the third one. I'm on spring break so I have to time to get the ball rolling on this. Please subscribe and comment. I love to hear what everyone has to say. Thank you for reading!