what we've got

burnt like matches
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

it's a matter of perspective, and a matter of whether or not you should allow yourself to be happy with what's left.

The sun left patterns of the leaves on her skin, the shade allowing her the right amount of light in order to read off the words from the pages as she flipped and flipped and flipped away, her fingers delicate and alert for the next course of action. The shadows on her skin dance, just as the leaves above her head sway to the current of the autumn wind. It was chilling, yet not chilling enough to make Sunyoung rip her eyes away from the words that brought her into another world. 

However, a figure standing before her did.

Sunyoung was forced to look up, and she finds herself staring - no, no, glaring now - to a familiar face she didn't expect to be seeing today. He takes a seat, it's Kim Jongdae and whether or not she liked it he will take a seat at the opposite side of the stone table where the bench was partially wet from spilled milk but it must have dried now because he's right there, sitting across from her with a sheepish smile and hands clasped together, his eyes flashing the tiniest hint of discomfort.

"What do you want?" she is forced to put the book down now, just like how he forced without intention to stop her from reading. She has an eyebrow quirked and a bead of sweat rolls down from the side of his face. "Have you been out playing?"

He lifts his shoulder and wipes the sweat away. "Basketball."

Sunyoung feels her lips purse. She counts to five before saying anything back. "You didn't answer my other question."

"I don't want anything." he shrugged, fingers drumming against the stone table of the university's courtyard. "I just have something to ask you." he says, eyes lingering on her's for a second too long before he guides them down, down, down and away from her heated stare. "But it seems like you're annoyed. You're annoyed, aren't you Park Sunyoung?"

"If you already know the answer to that question, why bother?" her eyes flicker away from him, she places the bookmark in between the book's pages, feeling this might take a while. 

His eyes are latched onto her's, never leaving, refusing to do so. He wants something, and he's too chicken to say it directly with no sugarcoating and dillydallying. "I just have one question, and it's worth a try even if you say 'no'."

"Are you really so sure I'd reject you?"

"Not really." a small smile forms on his lips, then it plays onto a smirk. "I mean, I'm Kim Jongdae, no doubt other girls are just dying to be in your spot right now, which happens to be the best spot in the world; directly under my attention."

Sunyoung snorts, hands gliding over her shoulder to flick her glossy, black hair back. "In my perspective, I don't think being under your attention is the best spot to be. What gives, Jongdae? Just tell me your purpose."

And then he's just Jongdae again, not the high and mighty Kim Jongdae who goes around introducing himself as if he were a king. He's the Jongdae she knew ever since they were in middle school and have somehow ended up being in the same school since then, even now when they're in college and older. He's biting onto his lower lip, eyes on her's as he hesitates but Sunyoung already knows what he's going to say, and she knows what she's going to answer back. 

He doesn't say anything for a long time, long for Sunyoung's standards, so she sighs and crosses her arms over the table. "You want to ask me to the dance this Friday, don't you?"

Jongdae doesn't seem shock, not in the way she would have imagined, but he still is in a subtle way at least. "Yeah," he merely replies.

"No, scratch that. You were forced to ask me to the dance this Friday, weren't you?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter