-

flip you for it

 

Minho preferred to leave things up to chance. If he let the universe make decisions for him, there could be no complaining or blaming himself. He believed that all things happened because something, or someone, bigger than us all willed it. His latest obsession was tossing a coin. Choosing between two restaurants? Flip a coin. Choosing to bet on a soccer team? Flip a coin. Choosing which college to go to? Flip a coin. It was a fifty-fifty probability; pure chance and somehow this comforted Minho. Amber reasoned he was just too afraid to make any decisions for himself.

The pair lay down on their backs of the asphalt with their chests heaving. They sipped their water bottles with minimal spilling, a talent perfected over years of rigorous sports.
“You know what I want?” The blonde girl said aloud to the sky.
“Ice cream.” The boy answered without an ounce of hesitation.
Amber laughed a short laugh and looked at the figure beside her out of the side of her eyes. “How’d you know?”
“Because you always want ice cream.”
She got to her feet and held out her hands to help pull him up. “True.”
Minho latched on her hands but no effort to pull himself up. Amber rolled her eyes, but smiled as she exerted almost all her strength to haul him to his feet.
“I think you need to lay off the ice cream,” she said while they walked to the convenience store by the park that they frequented.
He grabbed one of her hands and tapped it against his stomach. Through the slightly damp t-shirt she could feel the outline of his abs. He laughed and said, “Who needs to lay off the ice cream?”
She quickly retracted her hand like it burned her and tried to brush off the incident. “So?”
“So?” He mimicked back. “You’re trying to say that girls don’t care about abs like these?”
She laughed loudly before replying, “No.” Lies, she thought, girls care a lot about abs like those and maybe I do too. The realization scared Amber.
“Please, all the girls in SM say I have the best abs in all of k-pop.”
She was surprised to find jealous as one of the words she would use to describe what she was feeling and was thankful that they reached their destination and decided to opt out from answering.

Upon entering the small store they went straight to the all too familiar freezer section. They both always got the same thing, a chocolate ice cream bar. Two hands reached out for the same package. Amber pulled back first planning on going on to the next bar, she frowned when there was no next one.
“I’ll flip you for it. Heads I get it, tails you get it.”
He had already pulled out the silver coin from his pocket before she could answer. He flicked it with his thumb and it flipped through the air continuously until it reached its peak and started to fall. He caught it swiftly and placed it flat against the back of his other hand. He peaked at it slightly and sighed as he passed over the ice cream bar.
Amber took it gladly, but when she leaned over a bit she could clearly make out the heads side sticking up.

It had been weeks since the incident with the ice cream and the last time she had seen Minho. The more time Amber spent time away from him, the more aware she became of how much she missed hanging out. But what really scared her was how blatantly obvious it was to her how much she missed him. She was falling in love with her best friend and she couldn’t stop it. She didn’t want to stop it.
She knew she would have to do something about it; she couldn’t keep going on and pretending like there was nothing more. She sharply took in a deep breath and squeezed her eyes shut hoping to gather up any sort of strength to go and walk straight to his apartment door and knock. But her legs stayed glued to the rung on the kitchen stool where she sat.
Amber grabbed a silver coin from the small dish on the counter without thinking and threw it up in the air. Catching it like Minho the hundreds of times she’d seen him do it, she slapped it down on the counter.
“Heads I tell him, tails I don’t,” she whispered.

There was a sharp knock on the door of their apartment. No one made an effort to go to the door. They all looked at each other pressuring the other to get up.
“You’re closest, Minho,” said the always logical leader.
Letting out a loud sigh, Minho stood from the couch where he had been watching a soccer match and went to open the door. He was stunned a little to see Amber standing at the door. She never knocked, just walked right in.
“A-amber, what are you doing here?”
She smiled a little and kind of bit her lip. She looks cute. He blinked. Cute? This is Amber, his best friend that he played basketball with and ate ice cream and shared sneakers with. She was definitely not cute.
“Um, could I talk to you? A bit? Outside?” Her broken Korean began to spew out in fragmented pacing.
“Uh, yeah of course.” He stepped out of the door frame and shut the door behind him. They walked together outside of the building. She stopped and faced him.
“I really don’t know how to say this and I guess when I decided to come here I didn’t exactly think about what I was going to say. I had only worked up the nerve to get out of the door.” She glanced down at her feet. “But what I guess I’m trying to say is that I realized I like you, Minho. As more than a friend.” She quickly looked up before looking away.
He cleared his throat slightly covering his shock. “When did you realize this?” he asked softly.
She grinned a little sadly at this, “I can’t really pinpoint it to one specific moment. Perhaps I’ve liked you for a really long time. And when you gave me that ice cream bar even though I know you flipped heads.”
His eyes widened a little. She wasn’t supposed to know that.
“And these past few weeks I found myself missing you. Before I used to think I just missed us hanging out and the time we spent together. And this was the first time I realized that it was actually you I was missing.”
Minho rubbed the back of his neck as her last words floated off into the breeze that tugged at the hem of her loose t-shirt.
“I don’t know Amber, we’re friends. You’re my best friend and I don’t know if it’s worth screwing that up.”
She held up her hand that had been clenched the entire time, which he didn’t notice until now. She opened it up facing her palm to the starry sky. A shiny object glinted in the light of the moon.
“Flip me for it.”
“What?”
“Heads we try to find out if there’s more to this relationship and possibly risk what we already have; tails we go on like this never happened.”
It was a crazy thing, basing their entire relationship on a toss of a coin. But Minho liked crazy and he grabbed the coin anyway. He threw it up like he had so many times before when he needed guidance. This time it seemed its descent into his waiting hand was even slower than normal. Amber’s eyes were following the path of the coin and Minho reached up and grabbed it prematurely. Her slightly shocked eyes moved over to him.
Using the hand that held the coin, he grasped Amber’s cheek and pulled it closer to him before kissing her. After years of flipping coins he finally understood why he flipped coins at all. It made him choose; not because of the result of which side had showed up, but because in that moment when the coin slowly falls, he knew what side he was hoping for.