A Moment

A Moment

 

Song Minho’s eyes wandered around the exhibition room.The room wasn’t big,actually it was just the right size for his collection “Moments”. The walls were painted gray.It was really dark without the spot lights on the ceiling. His paintings were hanging on the wall asymmetrically.He glanced at them very quickly and walked towards the window. They were hanging on the walls of his own house for five months. He had seen them enough.If it hadn’t been for his precious hyung Kim Jinwoo he wouldn’t even bother to come here before the exhibition.He didn’t care how his paintings were placed on the wall,the only thing mattered to him was what people would think when they saw his paintings.He didn’t think they would understand,it would be enough for him just to ignite an idea in their mind. He told this to Kim Jinwoo but he insisted on checking the place.The people who are invited to the exhibition were all “important” people and everything had to be perfectly organized.

“All people are equally important to me” said Mino.

“I know” said Jinwoo “and it’s true but it could be a great opportunity for you. All these people have connections.Some are artists themselves.They can get you more recognition.”

Mino didn’t say anything. He wasn’t sure if he wanted more recognition or not.Actually he wasn’t sure what he wanted.

“The way you present something contributes to how it’s perceived by others.You don’t want your paintings to be randomly placed and lose their meanings,right?”

Even though this made Mino think for a while he wasn’t exactly convinced but Jinwoo wasn’t going to give up so easily either and of course,he finally convinced Mino.Like always,Mino agreed to do what his Jinwoo hyung asked him to do because he never could say “no” to him.He hated seeing his hyung unhappy.So he came to this exhibition room and checked everything.Now he was waiting for Kim Jinwoo to finish his job to go home.He could hear the voices of Jinwoo and the owner of the gallery who were in the other room.They were talking enthusiastically about the upcoming exhibition.Mino kept on watching the street from the window.He didn’t want to be there any longer.He walked to the other room.

“Is there anything you didn’t like?” asked the owner of the gallery when Mino walked in.

Mino hesitated for a second. He didn’t like being there,he didn’t like thinking about the people invited to his exhibition,he didn’t like thinking about what these people might think about his exhibition.But still,none of them was the man’s fault.

“No,it’s all very nice. Thank you”

“Thank you”

Mino knew he could go now.So he grabbed Jinwoo’s arm and pulled him away from the man.

“Can we go now?”

Jinwoo sighed.

“You can go but I still have things to do.I will send some invitations.”

Mino was happy to be free.

“Don’t bother about it too much.We will do the opening at 5,right?We’ll be fine with those who come,I don’t need more people.They are not so necessary anyways.”said Mino while walking to the exit door with Jinwoo.

“I thought all people were equally important to you”

“At first yes but then some of them lose their importance.”

Mino put his hoodie on while leaving the gallery and started walking towards his house under the rain.

***

He took off his wet clothes once he got home,closed the curtains of his bedroom. He got into his bed,pulled the covers to his head and fell asleep.It was his ringing phone that woke him up.He forced himself to open his eyes.It was Jinwoo calling.He answered the call but he was still too sleepy to speak.

“Mino?”

“Hmmm?”

“Mino? Were you sleeping?Are you alright?Don’t tell me you’re sick! We worked so hard for this exhibition,you have to be there!”

Jinwoo’s pointless nagging annoyed him and woke him up completely.

“I’m fine,hyung” answered Mino “I was just sleeping,that’s all.”

“I’d rather you didn’t. You can sleep at night,only two hours left until the opening.”

Mino sighed.He barely could sleep for 5 hours in the last two days and now he wasn’t allowed to do so.

“Anyways,why did you call me,hyung?”

“Start getting dressed,I know how lazy you get when you have to go somewhere that you don’t want to.Wear the suit that I brought you yesterday.”

On the other end of the line Mino said something but Jinwoo ignored him and kept talking.He was talking about some people that he decided to invite at the last minute.Mino got up and walked to his kitchen,putting water in the kettle to make coffee.Jinwoo was still talking.

“Hyung”

 “…Yes?”

 “We had better hang up so I can get ready,right?”

“Right”said Jinwoo,he was slightly offended.”Meet me at the gallery at 4.30”

Mino hung up the phone without giving an answer.He took his coffee and went to the window.He was still sleepy but didn’t want to sleep.He was aware that he was kinda cold to Jinwoo and he had to make up for this.He had to keep this in his mind and not forget.His mind was full of thoughts about exhibition.He drank his coffee while trying not to think about them.

But it wasn’t working,his mind was still full of his thoughts about exhibition.The idea of holding an exhibition started to seem ridiculous.Why did he accept this anyways?It was meaningless.A lot of people were invited.Most of them were rich and famous.It was something to be happy about for some artists but it made him feel uneasy.He wanted people to think about his paintings.He wanted his paintings to mean something to other people while he was drawing them.But he didn’t think that these guests would think about his paintings.Most of them would come because they would think it’s something that they should do.Mino has been in these type of environment before.There would be few people who could actually “read” a painting or even just attempting to do so.The others were there simply to make themselves look like they’re one of these people. 

Thinking about these made Mino even less exicted about going to his own exhibition.He left his empty cup on table and went back to his bedroom.

 

***

Kang Seungyoon picked up the invitations sent for him.He skimmed through them,looking for a event to spend his evening.Most of them were for parties or fancy dinners.He wasn’t in the mood for partying and he wasn’t the type to eat much.After throwing another invitation to the table he found one that actually caught his attention.It was slightly bigger than other cards,with white letters written on gray paper.

“Moments” he read aloud.

It had few other words along with the date and the adress.The opening was announced as 5 pm.

Seungyoon glanced at his watch to check the time.He had enough time to take shower and get dressed.He set aside the card before making his way to his bedroom.

He quickly finished his shower-he didn’t like wasting time and water,carefully chose his outfits for the event.He almost could name all the people that he knew he would see there.He didn’t know the artist though-he must have been a new artist.But he was sure that he knew most of the people who were invited.The guests would be more or less the same in every art event and Seungyoon was born into that “elite society” that artists loved seeing at their events.Unlike the artists,Seungyoon was aware that those “elite people” were only there to be seen,to be talked about,mostly they didn’t even care about the paintings or whatever art form is presented at the event.

He wore black pants and a dotted shirt inside his black jacket.He fixed his hair before putting on his black framed glasses.He was ready to go.He took the invitations from the table and carefully placed them to his pocket.

***

Mino arrives there at 5-despite of his promise to Jinwoo he couldn’t keep himself from dragging his feet.He lazily walked around his house and thought about how much he didn’t want to go to his own exhibition before finally realizing that how much it would upset Jinwoo if Mino weren’t there.

Instead of finding Jinwoo and greeting him Mino decided to take a look around.He carefully avoided the main entrance where Jinwoo’s standing while talking to some men.

Mino entered the exhibition room which was starting to fill with people.He studied them.Women were nicely dressed,their clothes were casual but neatly picked.They were wearing expensive jewelleries.Men were the same,most of them were wearing a suit-just like Mino who had to wear it because of Jinwoo.

He kept on walking around the room,trying to overhear what people are saying while they’re looking at his paintings.They were usually looking at the paintings for a few minutes before turning to their companions and asking “He’s talented,isn’t he?” or saying “I’m impressed by his works,he’ll be a very important artist one day.” Hearing these things would make Mino feel proud of himself-of course,anyone would be proud but he also waited for something else.Not that he was greedy for compliments but he was aiming to convey his thoughts with his art,that was the thing he really wanted to hear,he wanted people to “see” what is behind his paintings.He wanted them to try and understand.

He moved from one painting to another.He was glad that no one knew his face,he had never met any of these people before.The only person who could destroy his anonymity was Jinwoo who was still busy with greeting the people at the entrance.He felt guilty for not showing himself to Jinwoo but he knew that if he did it he would have to deal with all these guests-and that was the last thing he wanted to do.

Mino moved onto another painting.There was a young man standing in front of it.He seemed to be alone.He was studying the painting with much interest.Mino got closer and stood next to him.He was looking at his own painting but actually he was watching the man from the corner of his eye.The man,however,seemed unaware of Mino.His eyes were fixed on the painting.Mino wondered what he was thinking.He slightly turned his head towards to the man,to see his face from a better angle.The man’s face seemed a bit puzzled-like he was trying to figure out something.Mino wanted to ask him what confused him but he didn’t want to reveal his identity.He didn’t realize that he was staring at the man until the man spoke to him.

“Hi”

“…Hi” replied Mino with a surprised tone in his voice.

“It’s very nice,isn’t it?” asked the man,pointing towards to the painting with his chin.

Mino turned his gaze to the painting. It was a self-portrait where he depicted himself as a child. His head was turned to the side, even though his face couldn’t be seen completely it seemed weary. He was looking at a pair of shoes lying on the ground far away from him. There were half eaten apples on the path behind him.He was barefoot,his feet were dirty and wounded.

“Yes.”

The man sighed. “Though I can’t say I completely understood it.”

Mino looked at the man without saying anything.

“I think I’m not good at reading the symbols” he softly chuckled. “I’ve been looking at it for five minutes now”

He stayed silent for a while, still watching the painting with much interest. “I like it even though I don’t comprehend the message it carries.His eyes have such an interesting light in them… But the shoes and the apples are confusing me.” He turned his head to look at Mino’s face. “I’ve once read that shoes symbolized vanity and arrogance,but it doesn’t seem like that’s what it implies here.”

“…I agree” said Mino when he realized that the man was waiting for an reply.

“Could you… Could you tell me what do you think? When you look at this painting,what do you see?”

Mino was taken aback by his question.He was definitely unprepared for this.He looked at the painting again and tried to think for something to say,something that wouldn’t give away his identity.

“Well,if you ask… Just like you said his eyes carry a different sense…” He thought for a while before continuing. “…Like he’s longing for something…”

The man shook his head to make Mino continue.

“And if you look at his feet he seems like he needs the shoes,right?It’s like it’s something he needed for a while…and he has wounds on his feet. It must have been a long and tough journey for him”

Mino waited for the man to say something. When he didn’t he continued talking.

“So he must be looking for a pair of shoes that his wounded feet can fit.Something that won’t hurt his feet and also protect him from getting hurt”

“So you’re saying that he’s looking for a place to rest his wounded feet or a place that he won’t get any more wounds…and feel safer… Yeah,I like this idea” said the man,smiling.

“And the apples…can be simply for decorations” joked Mino.

The man laughed.

“Or maybe they represent all those things that hurt him.”

“I think they represent his passion but also his greed and impatience that caused him to get hurt.”

“Ah… I think that would be a bit exaggeration.I mean,how can we reach to this conclusion for sure?... I don’t know,it didn’t seem so probable to me.”

“Yeah,you’re right. We can never be sure about what this exactly means.”said Mino with a tiny feeling of guilt.

“Still,among all the other paintings I’ve seen so far,this one impressed me the most.”

“Have you seen all of the paintings?”

“No,not yet.”

“Do you want to check them out together?”offered Mino wanting to talk to this man for a little more while since he seemed like the only person who cared about the paintings themselves.He also had to stay away from Jinwoo who could force him to meet people.If Jinwoo caught him then Mino could simply say he was busy with this man-whose name Mino doesn’t even know.

“Sure” replied the man.

***

Mino spent the next hour looking at his own paintings and explaining them to his companion without giving away all of his secrets.He still had to check where Jinwoo was. His feeling of guilt was getting worse.He started wishing he hadn’t done something like this but it was too late now.Mino was looking at the entrance once again. He couldn’t see Jinwoo anymore,he wasn’t standing at his usual spot.

“Hey” said his companion “You keep looking at the entrance. Are you waiting for someone?”

“What?” Mino was surprised by him. “No,I just zoned out for a second.”

“Okay. Let’s continue.”

Mino had just started following the man to the next painting when he heard someone calling his name.

“Mino”

It was Kim Jinwoo who was calling him.

“Song Minho”

He got closer to Mino and stood right in front of him. Jinwoo would rarely get angry but Mino was sure that this was one of those rare moments.He normally wouldn’t feel scared in this type of situations but right now he was scared…a lot.

“Song Minho” Jinwoo repeated himself. “Where were you?”

Mino opened his mouth to say something but before he could Jinwoo continued.

“I have been calling you for the last 2 hours. You told me-no,you promised me that you would meet me here at 4.30. You promised to come and I waited for you.And the guests… They wanted to meet you. Do you know how important those people were? I tried to keep them around for a little more while hoping that you would show up.”

“Hyung…I’m so sorry. I’m really sorry.I know I promised you…but… I just didn’t want to come and meet all those people.I’m really sorry that I put you through this.”

“It was something I had to do anyways but it was the same for you too. You had to be here.It was something important for both of us.This is your first exhibition and you didn’t even attend the opening” Even though he was still angry his voice was calmer now.

Actually Jinwoo seemed more hurt than angry.He tried to make this event special for his friend but he wasn’t even there.Seriously,Jinwoo wondered,what was Mino doing while he himself had to greet and talk to all these people?

“Where were you?”

“Oh…I was… I was here.” Mino smiled apologetically.

“Here?” Jinwoo was genuinely shocked.

Before Mino could reply the man started speaking. Mino forgot he was even there.

“I’m sorry,it’s totally my fault. I demanded Mino to accompany me to his exhibition,I acted very selfish and completely forgot that he had other responsibilities. Please don’t be angry with him.”

Jinwoo looked at the man with a puzzled look on his face.The man extended his hand for a handshake.

“Kang Seungyoon”

“Oh…”said Jinwoo,recognizing the name. “Aren’t you CEO Kang’s son,the owner of-”

“Yes” Seungyoon interrupted. “I am.And you are?”

“My name is Kim Jinwoo,Mino’s best friend”

Seungyoon’s eyebrows raised in surprise. “Oh… He never told me about you.”

Jinwoo was taken aback by his answer.There was an awkward silence between the three men until they heard someone calling Jinwoo’s name. Jinwoo turned back and waved his hand to the person who was calling his name.Then looked at Seungyoon again.

“It was really nice to meet you,Mr Kang” said with a cold voice. “I have to go now” He turned to Mino “Seunghoon is waiting for me.See you later,Mino”

Without giving Mino a chance to speak he walked away.Mino was watching him when Seungyoon started talking.

“So,this is your exhibition.”

“Oh,yes,about that… I’m really sorry,I should have told you…But,you know,we were talking and I didn’t know how to say it.” Mino tried to explain himself clumsily.

Seungyoon chuckled softly.

“It’s alright.It’s not like I’m angry or something.I’m just surprised. I was looking forward to meet the painter and it turned out that I already did.”

“Yeah.”

“Though,I’m really curious to know why you did something like this.I mean it’s your first exhibition and I know almost all of the people here,they all are influential people that can help you to become more known”

“Well…”Mino sighed “That’s a long story.”

“Good” said Seungyoon “I like stories.”

***

He left the exhibition almost an hour later. Mino decided to talk to the guests to make up for his mistake.Jinwoo seemed to be soften after Mino apologized and patiently talked to them.Though Mino knew he wouldn’t be forgiven so easily,he had to make effort.Finally-when Jinwoo thought Mino had suffered enough-he told him that he can leave.So,Mino left there-with Seungyoon.

Mino thought he owed an explanation to Seungyoon.Now they were sitting in a bench in one of the places Mino liked the most. It was a street where Mino usually went to watch people.It was always crowded with people-artists,musicians and other people who simply just hang out there.

Mino felt weird. He never came there looking like this-in a black suit,with his hair neatly combed back. And he never came there with someone either.He always would be alone-Jinwoo didn’t like crowded places like this,he preferred staying at home.

“It’s nice” said Seungyoon “I’ve never been here before,but I’ll definitely come again.”

“I always come here-to think,to watch people,to get new ideas for my paintings.”

Mino reached to his inner pocket and pulled out a packet of cigarettes.He took one for himself and offered another one to Seungyoon.When Seungyoon said “no” he put the packet back to his pocket and lit the one that hanged in his mouth.

“You shouldn’t smoke” said Seungyoon with a nagging tone in his voice. “It’s bad for your health.Don’t you know all those diseases that smoking causes? You’re going to get yourself killed.”

Mino laughed.

“Do you always nag like this?”

Seungyoon was taken aback by his question.

“No” he said defensively.

Mino gave him a disbelieving look.

“Maybe sometimes.”admitted Seungyoon.

“You shouldn’t nag,it’s not a nice habit.”

“Says the guy who didn’t even attend his own exhibition.”

“I did,okay? We met there,don’t you remember?”

Seungyoon laughed “Not officially though.” He waited for a while before speaking again. “I hope your friend won’t stay mad at you”

Ignoring Seungyoon’s words Mino took a drag of his cigarette.

“Okay,I’m avoiding this topic then… So,tell me your story.”

Mino sighed. He was aware that there was no way to ignore Seungyoon,he would have to tell him sooner or later.And,even to his own surprise,Mino wanted to talk to him.He wanted to tell him what bothered him. He had just met Seungyoon but it didn’t matter. Mino wasn’t a type to talk a lot about the things in his mind but it was one of those rare moments. He needed to get them out and he also needed a listener. He was glad that this person was Seungyoon who seemed to be genuinely interested in his story.

So Mino told him everything-from the time when he first started working on his collection until the exhibition day.Seungyoon listened to him with interest,asking questions when he was curious.Mino told him what he thought about the people,why he draw and how he didn’t want to go but he couldn’t help himself and got curious about people’s comments,so he sneaked in.

“And you know the rest,I met you.You seemed like you were the only one who cared about my paintings.”

“I did,I really did” said Seungyoon “But I understand what you mean,I wouldn’t want to go either.It must be frustrating,you know,to have something in mind but not reaching it.You are right about it,I mean I’ve always been among this type of people and believe me you can’t get the reaction that you want from them.”

Mino stayed silent for a second. He remembered what Jinwoo said when he met Seungyoon.

“So,you come from a wealthy family,huh?”

“Yeah” Seungyoon laughed “But I don’t like talking about my family.”

“Why?”

“Ugh…We came here to talk about you,not me,remember?”

Mino didn’t say anything. He didn’t like forcing people.

“So,tell me more about your paintings.I know you have more things to say then you did in the exhibition.”

So it was Mino’s turn to talk once again.Seungyoon was a good listener,he didn’t interrupted,only asked questions when they were necessary. And somehow Mino wanted to talk more,he wanted to tell him lots of things.Maybe he could even talk about his future plans regarding art-the plans that he haven’t even told Jinwoo yet.He was seriously considering this when Seungyoon’s phone rang.

Seungyoon apologized to Mino before answering his phone.

“Hello?”

Seungyoon’s face was lit up with the sound of the person on the other line though he was just giving very small answers. “It must be a very talkative person”thought Mino.

“Okay,okay.I got it,I’ll be there” said Seungyoon before hanging up.

Mino felt a bitter feeling.He didn’t want Seungyoon to go yet.

“I’m sorry,I have to go. I had made a promise.” said Seungyoon. He seemed genuinely sorry.

“It’s okay” said Mino trying to sound indifferent.

“But…Can we meet again?”

“Sure”

Mino reached for Seungyoon’s phone and wrote his number.

“Call me when you want to meet again.I still need to hear your story.”

“Ugh…” he sounded annoyed.”Okay.”

Then he smiled.“Let’s meet again” he said before leaning in and kissing Mino on his lips.Without giving Mino a chance to react he got up and walked towards the sea of people.

Mino watched him with a puzzled look on his face until Seungyoon completely disappeared.He felt a mixture of surprise and sudden euphoria.

”Yeah” he whispered. “Let’s meet again.”