Chapter 1

Subway Romance

Wide eyed and slightly out of breathe, Sungjong had to watch his subway leave his station, this was what he got for helping those people find their books. Huffing, the young adult pulled his scarf higher over his face, it was cold down here, and the winter this year was harsher than usual.


The fact that he had missed his subway did bother him more than it would any other person, it ruined his schedule. His whole day was planned with strict precision; even the slightest hitches unnerved him. So taking a whole subway later was making him very nervous. He would have to move everything on the plan fifteen minutes later, it was unsettling.
Sungjong took a deep breath and pulled out his head phones, in his rush to leave the store he had forgotten to even plug in the usual music, his day was a mess. Nothing was going as planned, he couldn’t wait to get home and bury himself in more books, not that he did that enough at work. Since working at a bookstore was the perfect place for him to be during his vacation. Books were one of the few things that helped calm him down, his secret getaway from the real world.

His favorites, even though he hated to admit it were the old romance novels at the back of the second hand book store, the shop owner had laughed the first time she found him asleep back there covered in books. It was rare that the youth these days liked books so she treasured Sungjong for his love to them and for his knowledge and gentle nature.
His job was restoring old books for her and sorting them away, naturally people asked him for help once they discovered the shy guy ad mists the shelves. That was the reason for being late for his train.


Taking a look around the subway station, Sungjong saw a young mother with her toddler, carrying a sled under her arm. He smiled, he wasn’t a very social person, but with his love of books came a large fantasy which he loved to indulge in. They would fit perfectly into a family novel or a children’s book, he giggled into his scarf, ‘Suzie’s Adventure in the Snow’, he’d have to put that book in the front of the store, where the children section was.
Of course these were only fantasies, but it was his favorite past time.


Next he saw a large foreign looking guy, whispering hushed into a phone. Spy novel, he was a secret agent for the CIA; his cover was just blown and had to flee the country with his life on the line. Oh, how exciting must his life be.


Sungjong was ripped out of his thoughts as someone walked by unusually close, blinking he watched a guy his age walk a bit before looking up at the subway sign and check the time on his watch. Hmm, perhaps a tourist in a new city, looking for a way to his hotel, a boring novel, not too interesting.
Until that person turned around and Sunjong froze.
Romance novel, definitely romance novel!! He almost cursed as he felt himself blush, this happened too often.

His mind saw a handsome fellow and dived into the stories he loved to bury himself in. The cheesy romance novels, short stories whatever, he loved reading those stories; it was always so sweet the way the two protagonists met and fell in love, mostly love at first sight. Like this situation, a stranger walks by, brushes his shoulder. Looking back, their eyes meet and share a smile, both feel something, faint and yet, it gets them to stop going on their usual way and greet one another.
It is awkward and yet the shy smile they share, the longing looks. A kiss?
Sungjong almost squealed. To his relief the good looking stranger standing under the subway sign made no sign that he had noticed anything wrong with the bright red guy just a few steps away.
This would be the perfect setting for a romance novel… Sunjong smiled.


Not that it would ever really happen to him. He wasn’t very talkative, never had been. His social circle included his family, a couple friends and his boss at work. His schedule included during the semester holidays included a trip to work, work, trip home, and then work on his novel and fix some old books, finish homework and sleep.
The fair skinned, large eyed infamous beauty had his own reasons for being what his mother called ‘socially awkward’. The urge to make friends, go out and ‘party’ just had never been part of his personality. He was happy with the few friends he had and his schedule. It made him nervous if something didn’t go as he planned, and liked the quiet of books over the chatter of people.
As the subway drove in and he moved forward to get in, his eyes unconsciously wondered to the stranger under the sign. His blood froze; the stranger was looking him right in the eye. Was he.. looking at him? Did he know him?? Why was he walking towards him? Did he need help with directions?!
Sungjong panicked, he really didn’t like talking to strangers, especially not handsome, drop dead gorgeous strangers. His heart beat like crazy and in his panic did the only thing that occurred reasonable and bolted.
As he ran to the other end of the subway and dove into the front compartment as the doors shut, he swore he head the stranger calling out for him.

Great, you idiot! Sungjong felt like banging his head against the nearest wall, he was so handsome and willing to talk to you, and you … run away.
Brilliant idea.

Really cool.

Real smooth.


He managed a sad smile, it wasn’t like they were ever going to meet again, Seoul was a huge place. That was the charm of these subway romances, he reckoned. See a handsome stranger; think up the perfect way of falling in love with them, then the next day clean slate until the next handsome stranger.
It was the perfect deal for someone like him.