encounter

Sunflower and White Carnation
2. encounter

To Joohyun, humans are far more than just a folder inside a computer. When you break down a folder, you’ll find files, codes, binaries, but with human… you’ll find infinite pieces that makes one a human. Human is much more complex, much more intimate and much more intricate.

She remembers one time she was asked in which part of the house she feels true freedom and her answer is her own room. Trapped inside four walls, but she’s free. The moment she steps outside the protection of her room, she’ll wear a mask. When she reaches downstairs, she wears another mask. When she meets Yerim, she wears yet another mask.

It’s sad really, that she feels the most at ease, that she feels truly free inside her own cage. A cage that she sets up for herself and is slowly destroying herself.

She got addicted to the dangerous solitude her cage offers and it binds her much more than a heroine could ever bind a person.

“Well, I guess we’re done for today.” the person in front of her smiles.

Out of all the doctors that had been handling her, Kim Taeyeon is Joohyun’s favorite. Yes, Taeyeon’s eyes always seem to be hiding something, but her eyes aren’t cold or judging or dismissive like Joohyun’s previous doctors. Taeyeon’s eyes are troubled, but kind. It’s as if Taeyeon is carrying a heavy burden but still tries to help people around her, including Joohyun.

“Thank you.” Joohyun replies, voice soft as ever.

Again, Taeyeon offers a warm smile. Joohyun likes Taeyeon’s smile, it’s bright and she almost feel at ease.

“Remember, the only thing that’s limiting yourself… is yourself.” Taeyeon says, collecting her stuffs from the coffee table and placing them inside her white branded bag.

“…I know.” Joohyun replies mildly. Taeyeon had told Joohyun to stand in front of a mirror and speak those words, as if they were a mantra that actually works. Until now, Joohyun still doesn’t know if she has to actually believe those words (She feels stupid talking to her own reflection in the mirror) or if she’s skeptical towards this method.

She follows Taeyeon to the front door, bids goodbye to the older woman and watches as she gets into the car and leaves. To Joohyun, stepping outside of her house with no anxiety choking her is a privilege she has yet to taste.

She’s not sure if she’s able to taste it anyway.

“How did the session go?” she can hear Yerim asks.

“Like usual.” Joohyun replies before closing the door and turns to face Yerim. “Have you eaten yet? Tomorrow is your first day in university, right? You have to sleep early tonight.”

“There’s something I want to tell you.” Yerim says and there’s something in her tone that makes Joohyun feels uneasy.

On the contrary to what Joohyun thinks, Yerim is smiling. Her smile is so wide and happy that Joohyun can’t help but to smile back at her.

“I think I’ve found your soulmate.”

 

 

 

 

Shuffling through the pictures in her laptop, Seulgi can’t help but smile. Today, once again, she took pictures of wedded couple. She loves her job. She loves the joy reflected in the couple’s eyes on the day they finally become one. She could drown in that joy; that which she so desperately want to know, to feel and to experience on her own.

“Wipe that dumb smile off of your face.” Krystal mutters, sipping on her chai latte. “Seriously, we all know how passionate you are but don’t embarrass yourself in a public place, Seul.”

“Don’t be like that, unnie! It’s so funny seeing Seulgi-unnie like that.” Jiho chirps, laughing as Seulgi’s mouth opens in protest.

“You guys don’t understand!” Seulgi protests.

“We do, we understand, but we’re asking you to control yourself.” Krystal smiles her usual mischievous, cat-like smile.

“As if you won’t have the same dumb smile on your face when you see Jinri.” Seulgi retorts, attacking the other girl with her Soulmate’s name.

Bull’s eye, Krystal’s cheek reddens slightly and she lets out a dismissive snort. Ironic, her only weakness is her Soulmate. Well… it wasn’t her fault that Jinri is so cute and wonderful and amazing and—

“Uh oh, I got a work call.” The sound of phone ringing and Jiho’s voice pulls Krystal back to reality.

“What is it about?” Seulgi asks.

“New material to write about, I can’t miss this one. Sorry, unnie.” Jiho apologizes, giving them a small smile as she puts her stuffs into her purse.

“That’s okay, I’m about to go home in a bit, so…” Krystal says, checking her phone and noticing there’s a message from Jinri.

Seulgi smirks, as if able to read Krystal’s mind. “Date with your lovely Soulmate?”

“Shut up.”

After gathering their stuffs, the girls make their way out of the comfortable coffee shop, bidding goodbye to the owner, Song Yunhyeong, in the process; and after that, wishing luck on Jiho’s work.

Krystal’s house is on a different direction so Seulgi makes her way home alone. It’s not dark yet and the sight of the setting sun is too good to miss, so she walks.

On her way home, she passes a river. It’s very blue and tranquil and on the riverbank, wild flowers are blooming prettily. It is a beautiful sight, but it isn’t the flowers that caught the photographer’s attention.

It is a woman.

Facing the river with her back towards Seulgi, the woman stands. Her jet black hair dances in the wind and glows when the golden ray of the setting sun shines on it. Her shadow stretches long behind her.

Then she turns her head to the right, where the wind blows and her hair dances even more and the golden sunlight gently kisses her pale, porcelain skin; making the snow white turns orange. Her eyes are closed and she looks so peaceful and tranquil.

It was silent and then there’s a shutter from Seulgi’s camera. She immortalizes the sight in a picture, unconsciously.

The stranger, though far away, seems to realize because she opens her eyes and her black orbs meet Seulgi’s dark brown.

It is as if the time stops. Seulgi doesn’t care how cliché it sounds. Under the woman’s gaze, Seulgi freezes. Her body freezes but she feels so much at ease; as if the woman’s peacefulness is transferred into Seulgi. She feels so peaceful and it feels just right and perfect and wonderful and...

Before Seulgi could apologize for taking the woman’s picture without asking, the woman runs away. She can only stare as the figure becomes smaller and smaller as the woman runs further away from her.

“…Strange.” Seulgi whispers, touching her chest and she feels how steady her heartbeat is. “How strange indeed.” She says.

Throughout the rest of her journey home, a small smile is plastered on Seulgi’s lips and she doesn’t find a reason to stop smiling.

 
Author's Note ©
Hellooooo! So this is your author Nat!! Oh my God it's been ages since chapter one. I'm so SO SO SO sorry for anyone who's looking forward to this story. Things have been quite rough and I'm currently very, very busy :(


But! I feel so happy that I can finish the second chapter of this story, I hope you guys would read or subscribe or upvote.

Also special thanks for ASandStorm, for everything. You really gave me the push to continue this story.

I'd like to write a longer Note but oh well, I need to study for my exam next week (idk this chapter is probably ugly since I didn't re-read or check it again) so I need to study and focus.

Another thanks for M4t5uJun, toncanan, orangepapy, IkpOpluv, dd
eulgi, shyluv87, vineyard, and dumb-iljin for the lovely comments <3

Again, I'm so sorry for discontinuing this story :( Pls bear with me as I write this story guys :")