Soulmate

Sunflower and White Carnation
1. Soulmate

Seulgi is a hopeless romantic; always have and always been. So when she learned the meaning behind the names that are engraved on her left wristbone (Bae Joohyun), she was ecstatic.
 

Kang Seulgi learned about soulmate when she was five and until now, she thinks it’s the most beautiful thing the world has ever created. Her mother and father only whisper good things about soulmate to her ears and Seulgi grows up believing it. That love is strong, that love is the answer and that love is pure and it can destroy all the bad emotions that a human can feel.
 

So she waits.
 

She waits for the day she will finally be united with Bae Joohyun. Before she goes to sleep, she thinks of dozens and dozens of scenarios on how they would meet. Will it be a cliché? Love at first sight? Or is this Bae Joohyun is a person that’s always been there but she’s too blind to see her? Or maybe they won’t start of well, like those love stories in the shoujo comics, when the heroine’s love interest is her enemy.
 

Years gone by and she grows up and she has meet dozens and dozens of Bae Joohyuns. But they always have another name in their hands, Choi Sooyoung, Park Hyungseok, Baek Sumin, Lee Taeyong, but never Kang Seulgi.
 

But Seulgi is stubborn. Stuborn and pure and with a bit of delusion.
 

And so, she continues to wait.


 

Until that one fateful day.


 

 


The telephone rings loudly, breaking the placidness of morning and it echoes through the silent house. The empty walls seem to amplify the sound and within every second, the ringing becomes unbearable.
 

Kang Seulgi wakes up with a groan and an unhappy look on her face. This is supposed to be her day off, who dares to wake her up from her precious sleep?
 

Rubbing her eyes while trying to block the phone, she gets up from bed and stumbles outside her room, down the stairs and into the living room, wondering why Sooyoung hasn’t pick it up yet.
 

There it is, the little devil, an antique black phone on top of a small table in the living room. Seulgi let herself yawn once more before she picks up the phone with a drowsy and husky, “Hello?”
 

“Hello? Seulgi-ah?”
 

Seulgi frowns, “Jongdae-oppa?” she answers before letting out an annoyed sigh, “Oppa, what time is it?”
 

Her words are ignored as Jongdae replies with, “Thank God, finally you pick up the phone, I nearly lost hope!”
 

Seulgi sighs, “What is it? It’s my day off today and you just ruin my precious sleep.”
 

She can almost see Jongdae rolling his eyes and huffing in frustration when he replies, “I really need your help. There’s a wedding on the church right now and I’m their photographer and things were going well but one of the staffs forgot to bring the bride’s bouquet.”
 

“Oh, wow, that’s troublesome." Weddings. Seulgi loves weddings, but right now, she's just too sleepy to care.
 

“Yeah, and we tried contacting the nearby flower shop but the bride wants white carnation for her bouquet. Just white carnation and nothing else. Pure white. And unfortunately those flower shops don’t provide white carnation or don’t have enough white carnation to make the bouquet.”
 

“That’s stressful.”
 

“Yeah, thank you for your sympathy." Jongdae replies, not exactly convinced that Seulgi is sympathetic towards his situation, "But I recall you said there’s this little flower shop in front of your new house, right?”
 

Seulgi blinks and looks outside her window, staring at the medium-sized house slash flower shop that stands just across the street. “I don’t know, Oppa, it’s a small flower shop, it may not have white carnations in there… but I’ll check it out, okay?”
 

She can hear Jongdae’s relieved sigh, “Okay, thanks a lot, Seulgi-ah, I’ll treat you a pizza once this wedding’s finished!”
 

“And chicken!” Seulgi says.
 

“You’re going to rob me blind, aren’t you? Make sure the carnations are available first. And you should bring your camera, I know it's your day off but today's a grand wedding and I'm sure you'd love to take a picture or two.”

 

 

 

 

It doesn’t take long for Seulgi to dress up, grab a frozen sandwich from the fridge, hangs her camera on her neck. Seulgi stares at the clock and is convinced that Sooyoung has already left to college, and then strolls to the flower shop. Seulgi stares at the shop. It’s small, taking the left wing of the house. The house is painted pastel purple with dark brown doors and window frames. On the top of the shop’s door is a wooden plank with the words “Into The Spring” written on it in pink paint and vintage-y font. On the sides of the door are pots of plants and flowers.
 

Careful not to step on one of the leaves, Seulgi opens the door.
 

“Excuse me?” she says, peering into the flower shop. It’s bright and filled with… flowers. Sweet scent fills Seulgi’s nostrils as she inhales a breath.
 

“Ah, good morning!” a voice says and Seulgi looks to the source of the voice.
 

The owner of the voice is a little girl with light brown hair in pigtails and a blinding smile. The girl bows at her and Seulgi walks closer to her.
 

“May I help you?” she asks. The nametag on her clothes says, Yerim.
 

“Ah, yes, do you have any um… white carnations here? My friend needs a wedding bouquet made of white carnations.”
 

The little girl nods, smile still curving on her lips. “You’ve come to the right place. My sister loves that flower so we always have them here. Anyway, wedding bouquet, how would you like it?”
 

Seulgi frowns, “The best that you can arrange but… I need that bouquet quick. My friend works as a staff at the wedding and one of the staffs forgot to bring the bouquet so we’re in a quite dire situation here.”
 

Yerim nods, “Okay then, no problem. I’ll get the flowers ready. My sister makes the best and fastest bouquet so you don’t need to worry."


Yerim disappears behind a door behind the counter with a couple of white flowers in her arms and Seulgi takes her time to observe the shop. Both the exterior and interior of the shop are vintage-themed. The interior, packed with flowers; standing on pot, on the display window, or hanging on the wall. The walls are gold-brown colored woods, white lamps covered with laces are hanging from the wall and the air is slightly thick and humid and smells sweet of flowers.


A moment later, Yerim returns, "Your bouquet is being made, it should be done in a short moment." she says and Seulgi nods in return. "You're the new neighbor across the street, right?" Yerim asks again, sitting on the counter chair and resting her chin on her palm.


"Yes, my best friend has just entered college so she moved to Seoul and she needs someone to accompany her and makes sure she doesn't go too wild so... here I am. A dutiful friend." Seulgi replies, laughing a little.


The younger girl nods, "I live here with my sister. Parents in Daegu but they insisted I should go to Seoul for education and they sent my sister to accompany me." Yerim explains, the gaze in her eyes softens with a hint of sadness as she does so, which makes Seulgi wonders.


"Are you a photographer?" Yerim asks, glancing at Seulgi's camera.


"Wedding photographer." Seulgi answers with a proud smile and Yerim replies with an, "Aah." and an excited glint on her chocolate eyes.


"That sounds like a fun job."


"It is." Seulgi laughs, "Taking pictures of soulmates and witnessing their love is just... fantastic, you see. You witness not only love but their excitement, and how happy they are that they've finally united with their other half, it's wonderful."


Yerim giggles, "That's very wonderful."


Seulgi smiles and an idea pops into her head. "In case you have something that involves a photographer, here, my card, I take pictures of other things, too, not just wedding." she says, handing Yerim her name card.


Yerim takes Seulgi's name card and takes a look at it, "The design is so cute," Yerim says, noticing the bear at the front of the card. "Kang... Seulgi..." she reads Seulgi's name.


"Yes?" Seulgi looks up, she has just texted Jongdae that she's able to save the day and that she's going to rob him blind.


Yerim looks up with a surprised look on her face, "No, it's nothing." she replies.

 

Before any of them can say another word, the door behind Yerim opens a little and both Seulgi and Yerim looks at the door.
 

Seulgi can’t see the person behind the door but she can hear her voice; soft, timid and meek. “It’s done.” And before she can take a good look, Yerim quickly opens the door, big enough for the bouquet to slip through, but not big enough for Seulgi to see the other person.
 

“Your bouquet.” Yerim says, handing the perfectly arranged carnations. “Hope you’ll make it to the wedding in time!”
 

“Thanks,” Seulgi replies, handing Yerim her cash. “I owe you one.”

 

 

 

 

Yerim stares at Seulgi’s back as she opens the shop’s door and leaves. The girl bites her lower lip and stares at Seulgi's name card, she stares at the hangul printed on top of the bear's face.
 

“Yeah, this is definitely Kang Seulgi.” she mutters. A smile blooms on her lips as she rushes into her house, carrying the card in her hand and she screams, “Unnie, unnie, unnie, unnie!”
 

As she enters the living room, another girl stares at Yerim disapprovingly. Her jet black hair tumbles down her back in lazy waves and the dark strands are reflecting the sunlight which shines gently through the window. Her face pale, with small nose and small, pink mouth. The pink lips parted and the girl says, “What is it, Yerim? Didn’t I tell you not to run inside the house? What if you tripped?”
 

But Yerim is too happy to pay attention to what her older sister was saying. Instead, the girl shoves Seulgi's name card right in front of her sister’s face and she points at the bear. The bear with Seulgi's name.
 

“See? See? She’s the new girl across the street!!” Yerim says; her voice filled with mirth, “Kang Seulgi. Kang Seulgi!”
 

Her sister takes the card from Yerim’s hand and looks at the bear, and at Seulgi's name.
 

“Kang Seulgi!” Yerim says again and grabs her sister’s hands, where the name ‘Kang Seulgi’ is engraved on each palms (left, Kang, right, Seulgi). “I found your soulmate! I found your soulmate, Joohyun-unnie!”

 

Author's Note ©
Hellooooo! So this is your author Nat!! Anyway, here's the first chapter. Norhing much for the first chapter aside from character introduction (which I think I failed in that aspect).

Yes, Yeri is Irene's sister and yes, Joy is Seulgi's sister. Lmao. Anyway, I've been reading your comments and I'm so happy to know that you're excited for this story.

And if you just happen to stumble on this story and find it good (heh) don't hesitate to subscribe and maybe upvote! Hahaha.

And thank you for lovelyz_naliz, taengouls, DreamyPuffs, shyluv87, toncanan, LegendaryShipper, and peachismilez for taking your time to comment on this story <3

Have a great week guys!