Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seungyoon gave the customer his signature smile as he pushed the tray towards her. “I hope you and your friends enjoy your drinks,” he said cheerfully, causing the girl to smile shyly before leaving the counter. He followed her with his eyes as she walked back to her table and the instant she set the tray down, the gaggle of girls all looked his way and began giggling.

He shook his head and smiled to himself. He was used to this kind of reaction in the year he’s worked as a barista, but he had to admit it was still mighty flattering.

He was wiping the counter when the tiny bell above the door chimed, signaling the arrival of a new customer. Like clockwork, Seungyoon turned to the entrance, the customary greeting at the tip of his tongue. But he was never able to utter the words as soon as he saw who had just come in.

The man’s black hair was no match for the intensity of his dark coffee eyes, even behind the glasses he wore. Seungyoon recalled only seeing him once before with specs on, and he knew this because he had always paid attention. It was impossible not to. Today, he wore a dark denim jacket over a thin white shirt, its V-line cut low enough to expose a patch of tanned skin. Seungyoon felt his throat dry up, and before his gaze could travel any lower, he lifted his chin and reminded himself he had a job to do.

When he met the man’s eyes, there was a glint in them that made Seungyoon wonder if he’d noticed him shamelessly checking him out. . The thought mortified Seungyoon and he cleared his throat to buy some time to compose himself.

“Tall hot latte with a shot of caramel,” the man spoke. Seungyoon gripped the edge of the counter upon hearing his low, gravelly, me voice. Not that the man needed to say anything, since it was his usual order and Seungyoon memorized it by heart. Even then, Seungyoon would probably still ask just to hear him speak. He remembered the first time the man came in two months ago – the first day he took Seungyoon’s breath away. He was almost sure he was an Americano, double shot of espresso type of guy, but he’d been surprised by his sweet tooth. Seungyoon thought its contrast to his tough appearance was goddamn adorable.

The man came by once a week since then, never at any particular day. It added to the thrill, and Seungyoon found himself anticipating his return all the time.

“And your name, sir?” He asked, trying hard to sound confident but failing miserably. He was a mess when it came to this stranger.

The corner of his lips tugged up in a faint smirk. “I think you should know my name by now.”

Seungyoon’s mouth parted, realizing how idiotic, not to mention incompetent, he must look to the man. “Yeah, yeah. Of course, I'm sorry. Mino, right?”

Mino dipped his chin in acknowledgement and didn’t say anything more. He grabbed his wallet from the back of his jeans – the movement putting Seungyoon in a trance for a few glorious seconds because his jacket did nothing to hide the curve of his biceps. Mino handed him his card after fishing it out, and thankfully Seungyoon still had enough sense to do his job properly after that.

After waiting a bit and getting his drink, Mino walked across the Café where he sat at his usual corner table. Seungyoon exhaled, silently cursing himself for having no chill, but secretly ecstatic that Mino was there. Mino often stayed for about an hour, and Seungyoon would spend that time thinking about how anyone can look so effortlessly gorgeous, what he did for a living (a model maybe? Or , what if he’s a really hot doctor), what music and movies he was into, and more importantly, what he was like in bed. The last one, Seungyoon tried to avoid as much as he could so he can still function properly in his workplace, but there was little he could do when the man looked like that. Not that Mino ever did anything suggestive because he was constantly too preoccupied scribbling on his tab. Seungyoon also often wondered what that was all about.

One time, he’d been courageous enough to walk over there and ask him if he would like to try their new dessert – a lousy excuse to be near him really, since the dessert was three months old – but Mino flipped his tab over before Seungyoon could take a peek. Mino said yes to the dessert, and Seungyoon’s insides fluttered when he gave him a lopsided smile. He also smelled really nice. Seungyoon felt no shame in lingering a bit more just to take another whiff.

Seungyoon barely noticed that the door had opened again, and just before he could launch into his usual spiel, the figure had walked past the counter and sauntered over to Mino’s table. Mino looked up from his tab, seemingly surprised by the other man's presence, then broke into a smile. Seungyoon felt his insides churn when the new arrival looked over his shoulder and right at Seungyoon.

He was also really good-looking. While Mino was ruggedly handsome in a dangerous kind of way, this man’s parted hair framed a delicate face. His feline eyes gave him a mischievous look, and coupled with his tall nose and defined lips, he looked almost exquisite. Seungyoon would have appreciated his looks more if he didn't shoot down any chances of him getting Mino’s attention. If this was the type of crowd he hung out with, then there’s no way in hell Mino would be interested in the likes of him. If he’s even into men.

Seungyoon looked away when he realized he’d been staring too long. Oh well. He should have known Mino was too good to be true (or available) when he looked like he’d just stepped out of a magazine every time he walked through the Cafe’s doors.

He was still feeling low when his shift ended, hours after both Mino and his friend left the Café. He didn’t bother bidding them goodbye like he was supposed to. Screw them. They probably lead awesome lives as two hot models (yes, he’d concluded they can’t be anything but), they weren’t going to die if he decided not to acknowledge their existence anymore.

After changing out of work clothes, he stepped out of the Café with his guitar case slung over his shoulder. It was time to get to his band’s rehearsals and he didn’t want to be late because studio time was expensive – which was precisely the reason why he needed to moonlight as a barista. The life of a struggling artist was hard enough without hot men toying with his feelings.

There was a tap on his shoulder just before he could cross the street. He turned around and was startled when he saw the man Mino was with earlier, looking back at him with a crooked smile.

“Hi,” he said casually.

“Oh. Hi?”

“I’m Taehyun,” he spoke and extended a hand. Seungyoon took it, albeit hesitantly, wondering what kind of odd plot twist this was. Surely he wasn’t waiting for him, right?

“Seungyoon.”

“Hey,” Taehyun’s smile grew wider. “Listen, I just wanted to give you this.” He took something out from his coat’s pocket – a card – and handed it to Seungyoon.

For a moment, Seungyoon suspected that Taehyun was giving him his number, which was odd because he didn’t seem at all interested back at the Café (but maybe he’d been too preoccupied with Mino to notice). However, he frowned a little when he saw that it was actually some sort of invite for an art gallery opening.

“He’s going to kill me,” Taehyun continued, giving Seungyoon no time to ask what the invite was all about. “But I suggest you go. The opening is Saturday night, but the exhibit will be there for two weeks.”

“Okay… but—“

“. I’m late,” Taehyun cut him off with a brief glance at his watch. He eyed Seungyoon’s guitar for a bit before looking at him again. “Musician, huh?”

“Uhh yeah.”

“Nice,” he smirked and started jogging towards a white Audi. “I hope you come! Just come, okay?” He called out before climbing onto his car and driving off. If Seungyoon wasn’t so baffled right now, he’d probably curse some more that this man wasn’t only good-looking, he was also rich enough to own a car that Seungyoon would have to work five years for. He looked down at the card in his hand and pocketed it, making a mental note to remember.

 

“Oh ,” Seungyoon t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter