Chapter II

The Runaway

"How could I have allowed this to happen, Lily?" I muttered as Tao motioned towards the entrance of the train. "You know, you really didn't have to do all this," I told him while going in. I opted to stand up during the transpo, while I let Lily sit down. 

"No, it would be my pleasure. Back when I was new in Seoul for our EXO Showcase, I was completely lost, I figured that no one deserves to be alone when navigating a new country, especially soon-to-be workmates," He said to me. 'Well, he's considerate,' I thought to myself. "Also, I have time to spare anyway, I don't have anywhere else to go. Call it breaking the ice and killing time." Lily looked up from her phone and showed me a webpage of EXO. And she looked back at Tao, then, she snickered quietly. 

"He's supposed to be a shy type, as mentioned here by his fans," She smirked. "Why's he doing all this if that statement was true?" 

"It doesn't mean anything," I hissed. "Besides, he's a busy man, we're pretty busy as well. There's absolutely no room for social pleasantries such as friendships and relationships," I spoke to her in French, so that he wouldn't understand. I appreciate that he's showing us around, and helping us get started, but my god, doesn't this man have a sense of reserve? It felt weird, and it made me feel a bit...bothered. No one, not one soul in Italy has helped Allegro navigate, and we managed to get by. What makes Korea any different? 

"Say, Viola, will you be providing your terms and conditions for SM or will your manager be doing that?" I blushed madly, well, technically, I'm the group's manager.

"Well, I am the manager," I said. "So yeah, I'll be presenting our terms when given the all clear, hopefully, SM will cooperate." He nodded. "Why?" He shook his head. 

"Nothing, usually SM's a bit hard-headed when working with immigrants," He said. "But I'm sure you'll get by, considering your international hype." We stepped off the subway, at Chungmuro, Jung-gu, the center of film in Seoul, and where our hotel lied. Tao had showed us around, the central part of Seoul, and he promised us that maybe at one point during our stay, he would show us around the northern and southern part along with his team. "I told the others that we might be working with you, they're all thrilled to say the least. It's an honor to potentially have your group as a partner." 

"We're not sure yet, though," Lily said. "But yeah, I think it would be nice to have some friends, around this place. Well, what do you know, 5:30, we have an hour left before we go to the head office of SM." 

"Ah, Apgujeong-dong. That's where we're headed as well, for the company meeting," He said, thoughtfully. "Well, I must be off. You know your way back to your hotel?" 

"No-" Lily began.

"Yes," I reassured him, "We'll manage, thank you for today. It's getting dark, I think you have to go. I'm sure your group is waiting for you." 

"Or they might have probably left me," He murmured. "Anyway, see you guys later. Stay safe." And then he headed off. I gave a deep sigh of relief when he had disappeared from my view. "Lily, what the hell?" I turned to her. She ignored me. "What was that for?" 

"Lighten up, will you," She said. "I was trying to help."

"Will you at least use your bloody brain? Can't you see that this is bothering me to bits? I thought this day was just going to be about us! Not a random guy we met at the airport! Lily, we don't know him!" 

"And he doesn't know us, but he helped us! Viola, if you wanna think like a user or a manipulative hoe, think of it this way, he's our only connection to SM Entertainment right now, and we're here to get that contract signed for us to have a branch in the Korean industry. What the hell were those Korean classes for, if we don't get this bloody thing signed? Didn't we say we wanna share our music to the world? We can speak Italian, French, German, Spanish, Japanese and Korean, we're nearly there, we're almost through to almost half the world! And you wouldn't consider a primary connection to the industry at all?! More or less, consider having a friend here in Seoul!" She yelled at me. I was dumbfounded. She thought of that? She calculated our advantages upon meeting Tao. But at the same time, she cared for our social living in Korea. 

"Lily, think of it this way. He's either an advantage or a disadvantage to us! Tao will either be a diversion or a gaining link! We're here to work not to go on blind dates," I said to her. "Lily, didn't you consider that at the very least?" 

"I did, but I also considered you, Viola," She said exasperatedly. "Ever since the end of our European tour, ever since...the thing...happened. You've been so close-minded, you've been shutting yourself out from meeting new people! Viola, that isn't healthy, you need to learn to-"

"Trust again? Is this what this whole thing is about? Me being able to trust again? Or maybe it's about me being able to love again?" I barked. "Maybe it's about me being able to endure pain again from being fooled, right, Lily? That's what you wanted?" 

"I wanted you to learn to open up," She said meekly, as we entered the hotel. "I wanted you to learn to be happy again. But no, you're always so cold and angry to everyone you meet! That kind of attitude won't help Allegro, we're in an industry where making connections matter. Monsieur de Grance would want to see Allegro grow. And I'm sorry to say, but having a sour and close-minded attitude won't help that." 

"Don't you dare bring Monsieur de Grance into this mess," I warned her. "Monsieur de Grance wanted us to continue the legacy. Legacies do not let diversions get in the way."

"He's not a diversion!" Lily tried again. "He's a link! A link to the Korean music industry!" I began walking away from her. And right then and there, she had yelled, across the lobby, shamelessly.  "A link to Monsieur de Grance's resolve! How could he sing with those angels when he isn't at peace yet!" I froze in my tracks. People began looking at us. Guests who weren't supposed to notice us began taking out their cameras. I held up my hand to signify them to stop, and almost miraculously they did. I turned around and saw her near tears. I saw a reporter's camera, and I began to move. "He loved us, Viola. He loved you, most especially, as if you were his own. How do you think he feels to see you so hurt, like this? To see that you've never really moved past what happened back in Europe?" 

I walked up to her, grabbed her by the wrist, and began frantically walking to the elevator. I pushed the button leading up to the 14th floor. Luckily, we were alone.  "Let's take this upstairs. We can't have a scandal ruining our name." Lily began to cry on my shoulder. 

"I just wanted us to be happy, to move on," She cried. "It hurts me to see you like this. To see us seeing you hurt." 

"Alright, alright," I began. "Stop crying. Fine, let's give this a shot okay? Okay? We'll give this a chance." I tried to soothe her. The elevator door opened and I was shocked to see the other members looking at us. I motioned for them to go in, and together, we headed towards SM Ent on our transpo, after battling through the many guests that were still crowding the lobby. Marie tried to speak about the crying Lily, who was still sniffling on my shoulder. "Don't ask. I'll tell you later." 

                                                                               ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

We arrived at Apgujeong-dong, and upon stepping out, we were greeted by a mob of people who were shouting for EXO. "Talk about a reception," Marie commented. "Those guys must be big." Wordlessly, we walked towards the building, had our names listed, and went to the meeting room where other groups were. They all turned to look at us, some glared, some smiled, while some just simply looked. 

We took our spot over by the corner, and waited. Suddenly, the door opened to reveal 10 boys, who immediately took their seat next to our group. My group shifted a bit, before, relaxing again. I saw Tao rush in and our eyes met. He beamed, in a friendly fashion before sitting down next to his group. "Is that him?" Bea asked. 

"Yes, that's him," I said. Lily sniffled once, and I looked at her. I gave her a reassuring hand squeeze and she nodded towards him. "Alright, I will." Another guy walked in, who was relatively shorter than Tao, with dark hair, a paler complexion, crescent like eyes, and a bright aura. He took a seat next to Tao, who in turn offered his shoulder to him. Tao immediately took the chance, and rested his head on the other guy's shoulder. Judging from what the other members called him, when he arrived, "Hyung", I'm guessing he must be the leader. He looked up once, when Tao whispered something in his ear. His eyes scanned the room, until they landed on us---me in particular. He gave me a soft smile, and turned back to Tao. 

Okay? 

Suddenly, the door opened once more, this time in a more authoritative manner. "Alright, might as well welcome our guests first," The man who had walked in drawled out. Everyone turned to look at us, and bowed in greeting.

Well, this is weird.

"Before we get started on our logistics and our plans regarding the upcoming showcase, let me all introduce you to the internationally-acclaimed octet, Allegro," The man accompanying him introduced us, I assume he's the artistic director, considering the many posters and album copies he was holding, trusting my sharp eyes, I saw ours there---a black and white album cover with our pictures on it---our album from when we debuted in Japan. "Mademoiselle Mathieu, if you may please give us an introduction on Allegro, for the satisfaction of our other workers' curiosities. Tell us about your group." 

Is this a test? What? "Uh, sure." I stood up and shakily walked to the podium, eyes all on me, from what I saw in my peripheral vision, I've performed on countless stages, but I'm not exactly comfortable yet with public speaking. Or more or less having at least a hundred people in one room, waiting for answers as to why foreigners are being invited to their showcase. 

Holy , I can't do this. One wrong move, and it's over.