The Blonde Problem

The Swap

Year: 841                             Age: 6

 

To live you whole life as a slave. What a sad fate. Is this hellish life worth living in? That’s all I thought about when I was sold. I felt cold and empty.          

I have a knife in my boot…

 That evening when the men came to trade me, I reached into my leather boot and pulled out my boning knife (with a carved handle).  I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. It was rigid and fast at first, but then it slowed becoming smooth and calm. ‘Heh, even my heart deludes its self this is the right thing to do.’  I thought.

 That night I drove my blade into 10 men killing half a dozen.

####################################################

 

Mikasa lived in the darker part of town, associated with some dangerous people, and worked some questionable jobs.  Even though she was only 6 that’s just how it was.

 

“Grandpa? Graaaaaandpa where are you?”

 

This little fool, doesn’t he know it’s dangerous to be hollering that he’s all alone ‘round these streets? Minus well where a sign that says ‘Kidnap me, rob me, do what ever you want with me!’

 

Mikasa tried to keep her self from getting involved, but when she saw the street thugs start approaching him her legs moved on their own.  Cursing herself Mikasa grabbed the scruffy blondes hand and tugged him to the side of the road.

 

 “You absentminded boy! Do you know how scared grandfather and I were?” (Lying fluently was a useful skill she picked up.) She asked knowing every person on the street was watching them.

 

“Cousin! …It’s nice to see you.  I’ve um… it’s been a long time! Would you mind reminding me your name?” asked the boy stiffly trying to play along. Yet fear and curiosity was plain as day on his face.

 

“I will, but first we should catch up with Grandpapa.” Mikasa droned eyeing people suspiciously.  “Yes.” Was all he replied seeming to understand what she saids secret meaning.

 

‘He’s smarter than he looks’ Mikasa thought wryly.

 

Mikasa dragged the runt through a labyrinth of streets and narrow passageways smooth and quick like a cat. 

 

You can’t trust no one, no matter how innocent they seem’ Mikasa had to remind herself

 

“Who are you” What do you want?”

 “I’ll tell you after you can prove you’re trustworthy” Mikasa sighed eyeing him suspiciously.

“What should I do?”  He asked hesitantly

“Well…”If he doesn’t chicken out or betray me in this next simple task I’ll trust him

That was the day, June 7th. 841, Mikasa met 5-year-old Armin Alert who would become her roommate, partner in crime, and faithful friend.