Six

Helpless When She Smiles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
SIX | She'll dance away just like a child, she drives me crazy drives me wild; but I'm helpless when she smiles -

Wendy sat in her chair, fiddling with her thumbs as she watched Irene pick out a slip of paper from the tin that was going around.

 

Their class was going to have a bake sale soon and Mrs. Kim was making them go through the routine of picking partners again. It was a distressing process for Wendy but apparently super exciting for some people.

 

“Oh, I sure hope Jaehwan chooses me! He’s so cute! I just can’t whenever he smiles!” Joy raved, kicking her legs about erratically at the thought of working together with the fourth-dimensional class clown. He looked and smelled like he only showered once every week and it turned many people off. But Joy liked him for some reason. He was so her type.

 

Wendy grinned at her dorky friend, secretly wishing to be paired with anybody but Irene. It should be easy, considering the fact that there were more than thirty students in class. Anybody would do, even that weirdo Donghae, who seemed to have an issue with trying to keep it in his pants.

 

It was not because Wendy had started hating Irene or anything. Despite being off the market, Bae Joohyun remained one of the most amazing and desirable girls she had ever met in her entire life, and Wendy still felt a very strong sense of affection for her.

 

And that was precisely the reason why she felt the need to avoid Irene as far as possible. She could not afford to fall any deeper into this endless pit.

 

As she was busy speculating who her teammate could possibly be, a figure walked up to her desk and she soon found herself staring into the face of her stunning, drop-dead gorgeous crush.

 

My goodness. No. Freaking. Way. Not again. No.

 

Wendy could feel her stomach somersaulting like mad and, as usual, she had completely forgotten how to use her words.

 

“We’re together,” Irene claimed with a straight face. “For the baking thingy.”

 

How original. Wendy was sure she was the one who said those phrases before. She soon found herself asking, “Are you sure?”

 

The blonde merely waved a slip of paper in front of her face as proof.

 

Recalling the previous incident, Wendy thought aloud, “Do you really want us to do this together? Baking is easy; I think I’ll be alright by myself. It isn’t too much--”

 

“Yes, Wendy. Let’s do this together.” It was always that same tone of voice – unreadable and apathetic. It was a tone that did not seem to match the words coming out of the girl’s mouth, one that made her intentions confounding.

 

But still, hearing her name on the blonde’s lips did something to Wendy, and before she knew it, she had decided to let everything go. “Can you bake?”

 

“Never tried.”

 

- - - - - - - -

 

The morning air was fresh and sweet, the birds were singing, and sunlight was flowing through the windows in beautiful, golden streaks.

 

Wendy loved Saturday mornings.

 

Humming a merry tune, she put on an Olaf-printed apron and started gathering the baking ingredients. Cooking was one of her favorite hobbies. Being able to mix things together and experiment with various types of food was fun and refreshing.

 

The best part of it all was indulging in the final product.

 

Today was going to be slightly different, however. She was going to be baking with Irene – amateur baker and, more importantly, the only girl capable of making her heart beat faster than a racecar going at full speed.

 

The doorbell snapped her out of her thoughts, and when she heard her mother getting off the couch, she hurried out of the kitchen. “I’ll get it, mom!”

 

She pulled the door open and the sight almost killed her.

 

Irene, with her hair elegantly pulled back in a high ponytail, was the most beautiful creature she had ever laid her eyes upon. Just. Wow.

 

“Good morning.”

 

“Morning, Irene,” Wendy replied casually, trying to disregard the girl’s piercing gaze and the blush that was slowly creeping its way into her cheeks.

 

“So do I come in or...?”

 

“Ah,” Wendy stepped aside to make way so quickly she almost tripped over herself. “My apologies. Please come in.”

 

“Hi, Mrs. Son,” the blonde greeted while bowing politely as soon as she entered the house.

 

“You must be Irene. It’s nice to see you,” Wendy’s mother smiled in response. “You girls have fun, now. I’ll be in my room if you need anything, Seungwan. Try not to make too huge a mess.”

 

“Okay, mom.”

 

As soon as they reached the kitchen, Irene commented, “Adorable apron.” She sounded almost too eager to say it.

 

“T-thanks… um… I prepared one for you,” Wendy picked up another that was draped on a chair. “Things can get pretty messy around here.”

 

“Is that Elsa?”

 

That was it. Now Irene knew she was a hardcore fan of that kid movie slash musical filled with dancing princesses and a peculiar little talking snowman. Hashtag judged.

 

“I… yeah,” Wendy nodded shyly. No point trying to hide something so overt anyway. “But uh… you could have Olaf if you want. Or the others… I bought the entire set at a sale the other day. You could pick.”

 

“Elsa’s fine,” the corners of Irene’s mouth tugged upwards slightly as she spoke and Wendy mentally cautioned herself to breathe properly.

 

“Okay. Here,” she reached out to pass the blonde the apron.

 

“I don’t think I can reach the strings at the back. Could you help me?”

 

Wendy gulped at the sudden request. Were they supposed to be friends? Why was Irene acting all chu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter