Almost Paradise

Yoo Over Flowers

 

Youngjae cycled down the busy streets, dressed in peasant clothes like the peasant he was. His mushroom black hair flopped in the wind and his poorly colour coordinated clothes flapped as Youngjae barrelled down the pavement, waving at people to get out of the way. This was Yoo Youngjae's life. He was one of the many people in the world cursed as the nugu supporting character. It was a sad life that these people lead. They could never be rich CEOs because of the role they were born in, meant to appear in the background of several scenes.

It was evident from the moment Youngjae was born. Initially, his parents, Yoo Seungho and Park Shinhye, had been very rich. After all, Seungho was born a male lead with super charming good looks, while Park Shinhye was born the typical female lead, pretty as long as you took off her glasses. But when they gave birth to Youngjae, tragedy struck the Yoo family.

Their son... was a nugu.

Immediately, Seungho's company fell to shambles and the whole family crashed to peasant status to accomodate the role Youngjae was supposed to play. It was a rarity in the Yoo family to give birth to anyone lower than the second male lead, but Youngjae had broken the trend and sent the Yoo family spiralling to their downfall.

Youngjae exhibited much signs of never being a K-Drama male lead. He did not care about girls, he was overly hardworking, he was dense and he was more cute than handsome. And everyone knew the cute guys never get the girls. Yoo Youngjae had fluffy cheeks, a permanent blush on his face, wide eyes and he had the habit of stuttering when exasperated. His favourite words were "B-Bwoh!?", "Wae!?" and "Aish!", he often talked to himself and he blinked far too rapidly for a normal person. It could not be anymore clear from how clumsy he was that he was a comical supporting character. Soon, he would meet the main character, and he would briefly appear in his or her life to help provide comedic relief from the overly melodramatic plot.

Youngjae accepted his fate the moment he was born, working hard to support his parents. His parents grew to be super money-minded, often telling Youngjae that he should find one of those nugu female supporting characters that were rich. Those usually came from those chaebol female leads who had a lot of equally hot but a bit less rich friends. Youngjae had no luck, and he was really not interested in girls, like the usual nugu supporting character not meant to have an actual plot line.

As Youngjae cycled down the road, he carried Jackson Wang's underwear in his basket. Because Yoo Youngjae was poor, he had to help out with the family business of running a laundromat service. He expertised in washing men's underwear, getting rid of stains with his super efficient hands and his generally hardworking attitude. While Youngjae cycled, he suddenly heard a strange noise following him.

Youngjae frowned, snivelling his nose and rubbing cutely. It was an upbeat song, with a lot of jingles. It sounded just like a drama OST. Youngjae looked around, wondering if there was a main character near him. However, he did not see anything amiss around him. There were no cute girls crashing into hot businessmen, there were no hot chaebols exiting their cars in a slow motion fashion, there was no random yelling on the streets about a misunderstanding between two good-looking people.

The song steadily followed Youngjae as he furrowed his eyebrows further. Wae nae nunape natana~

Youngjae recognised the theme song. That was the theme song of Secret Garden. Why was it following Youngjae? Did Youngjae's bike accidentally run over some gum that belonged to the main characters? Ah, whatever.

Youngjae continued cycling, skidding when he reached the school entrance. This was the famed B.A.P High School, short for 'Broke Aniya People' High School. As the name suggested, broke people could not study at Broke Aniya People High School, or B.A.P High School for short. Only the richest of the rich studied here. This was home to the greatest main characters in Korea, with the occasional secondary characters flitting about. Youngjae gaped at the school, making sure to open his mouth as wide as possible and going "WOOOAAAAAHHHH" as loud as he could.

Youngjae climbed up several flights of stairs, searching around for Jackson Wang. Some condescending laughed and redirected him to the roof. Panting harshly, Youngjae flung himself through the roof door, surprised at the amount of people gathered on the roof. There was a person standing on the edge, and he immediately recognised him as Jackson Wang. Instead of caring about the fact he was standing on the edge of the roof, because Youngjae was really quite dense, he simply charged forward, holding out the bag which contained Jackson Wang's underwear.

"Jackson Wang-ssi!" Youngjae shouted, happily waving the transparent bag of underwear around. The student standing on the railings turned around, blood running down his head. Still, Yoo Youngjae did not comprehend that normal people did not bleed excessively from their head as everyday occurrences, and continued swinging the bag of multi-coloured briefs around. "Your underwear has arrived! 50, 000 won please!"

The crowd began to laugh. Jackson Wang stared at Youngjae and looked away, visibly bleeding out. "Charge it to my family when I'm dead."

"You drive a hard bargain, sir!" Youngjae laughed forcedly, quite disgruntled the man was bargaining with him like this. "Okay, how about 20, 000 won? Pretty good deal, huh?" Youngjae put out a thumbs up sign, everyone bursting into laughter once again. The bleeding man blinked at Youngjae and blurted, "Dude. I'm about to jump off a building. Are you seriously asking me about my laundry right now?"

Youngjae's eyes flew wide open. "B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-Bwoh!?" He stammered, looking like his mouth was having some sort of convulsion. "But... Wae? Wae are you going to jump off a building?"

Jackson Wang sighed. "I'm being bullied. They beat me up. Look at the blood all over my bruised face."

Youngjae finally noticed Jackson's battered state, and he choked back a wail. "W-Who did this to you?" Youngjae whispered, stopping his enthusiastic swing of the underwear bag. Jackson sighed again and wistfully looked out, indulging in his few prominent moments as a minor character meant to jumpstart the plot.

"F4," Jackson breathed. Youngjae confusedly looked at Jackson. "F... F4?" He tilted his head excessively to the right. Jackson nodded. "F4. They are made up of Goo Junpyo- , I keep getting it wrong. I mean. F4 comprises of Choi Junhong, Bang Yongguk, Kim Himchan and... Uh... and..." Jackson waved to one of his bullies, asking him to help him out. The bullies started talking to one another, trying to recall the name of the last F4 member.

"He's the heir of some mafia, right?"

"Yeah, yeah. He has like 10, 000 henchman and ."

"His name is Jung something. I know that."

"He fights really well. I think his name was Jung Daehan?"

"No, that's not right..."

"Jung Daehun?"

"Nope..."

"Jung Dae... Jung Daehyun!" Everyone let out a collective hum, brandishing their bats again as Jackson returned to looking out wistfully into the sunset. "F4 rules the school. They are the richest of the rich. Choi Junhong is the son of the founder of B.A.P High School, and he owns the Samsung company. Next is Bang Yongguk. He is a super rich orphan and owns the Apple company. That is why Junhong and Yongguk are frenemies, friendly rivals, and this information will aid you later as the plot progresses. Next is Kim Himchan, who is a master at traditional arts. He owns every museum in Korea, even the ty ones. Then the last is Jung Daehyung, that guy we just told you about who runs some mafia ." Sounding just like a wikipedia page, Jackson went on and on about how great the F4 was, and how terrifying they were. They could crush anyone with a snap of a finger.

Youngjae gasped loudly, in disbelief at hearing how rich the F4 were. Jackson turned around at this moment, and he jumped.

"ANDWAE!"

 

--

 

In just one day, Youngjae turned from a complete nugu who worked at a laundromat to a boy who kickstarted a revolution to tear down the famous B.A.P group. Youngjae was still angry with how Jackson Wang was treated, and even though he was now hailed Wonder Boy for saving a student and exposing the terrible system in B.A.P High School, Youngjae was more bent on ranting to the depths of hell about how B.A.P High School balls. 

"Broke Aniya People, my foot!" Youngjae yelled for the 143783921047th time today. His ultra adorable best friend, Moon Jongup, hummed as they washed underwear together. Moon Jongup was Youngjae's best friend who often dropped by the store to help out with Youngjae's workload. He was also a nugu supporting character, sadly.

Suddenly, while Youngjae was angrily wolfing down instant ramen like a peasant, a well-dressed man in a three piece suit suddenly walked into the store. Youngjae's parents gaped at the man, rushing to serve him, while Youngjae, being completely unimpressed by all things rich and money-filled, sat there and continued to eat. The man approached Youngjae and set his briefcase down.

"You are Yoo Youngjae, right?"

Youngjae nodded. The man took out a letter and gave it to Youngjae, smiling politely. "Yoo Youngjae. B.A.P group is extremely impressed with your ability to wash underwear. We believe you will be able to contribute much to B.A.P High School. Therefore, we are extending the Underwear Washing Scholarship to you."

Hearing this, Youngjae's parents started cheering and they immediately signed the contract for Youngjae, not caring about Youngjae's feelings or that he completely hated the school to the depths of hell. When the man left, Youngjae uncomfortable excused himself, glancing around in thought. This was not right. He was a nugu supporting character, it was clear from his family background and the way he spoke and acted. He could not come close to any of those charming chaebols that were absolutely needed in all Korean melodramas. What was happening? How could something so big happen to him? Yoo Youngjae was a poor supporting character, he was not supposed to go to a school for elites.

"I know what you're thinking." Youngjae's BFF, Jongup, came to sit with him. Youngjae twiddled his fingers, looking down at the floor. "What's going on?" Youngjae asked softly. "Am I going to meet a girl in B.A.P High School? This doesn't feel like the normal K-Drama... A poor imbecilic boy and a rich girl?"

"Hey," Jongup whispered, nuzzling his head into Youngjae's neck. Youngjae blushed furiously, averting his eyes. Okay, why was he blushing at his best friend being all affectionate with him? "Hajima. Don't be like this. Maybe you will, who knows. My Sassy Girl was a big hit, and the guy wasn't rich, was he?"

Youngjae nodded slowly. Maybe he was just a minor character meant to be transferred into B.A.P High School to aid some plot progress. But he had taken up too much screen time with his face plastered all over the newspapers. This was weird, very, very weird. Could he really be a main character? But he did not follow the usual trend of male leads. Youngjae frowned, thinking harder to himself. He would only learn the truth of his destiny after going to B.A.P High.