3425766

Every Fire Needs a Spark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“you look across the room and you’re drawn like a firefly to a bright light.”  

  Today is the first week of lectures. You’re scared for what is ahead of you. You’re afraid of the workload you’re going to face. But, the friends you have made during the orientation week smile and pat you on the back.

  “There’s nothing to be afraid of,” they said, “just something to be excited about.” You manage a smile and take their word.

  The rest of students in the lecture theatre are beginning to settle in when the lecturer walks in with a stiff line across his lips. The crowd stirs then softens. You pull yourself low in your seat. The theatre is freezing cold and you shiver and quake against its merciless gusts.  The lecturer begins to speak; his voice is booming through the expensive audio speakers in the room. You turn your head and look around.

  And then, he caught your eye.

  You don’t know what is it about him that you see. But he attracts you with his smile. You know this smile isn’t for you. He doesn’t even know you! Nonetheless, your heart begins to soften as his eyes crinkle into crescents. You grin at the sight of it and now in your mind, you’re secretly hoping…

  “I hope no one notices this beautiful dime.” 

  Weeks have passed and you have found out a lot - his name, his course, his birthday and his extra curriculum course. But you think that it doesn’t matter for a rose called by any other name will smell as sweet.

  You know its wrong to stalk him but you just can’t help it. You’re too shy to approach, to wave or smile. You’re too nervous to be around him before having sweaty palms. Your friends are beginning to see your change and they snicker and giggle every time he walks past you. When he’s close, they push you to stand even closer. But you blush and you run as fast as your legs could take you.

  You know that there’s nothing to be ashamed of. 

  There’s nothing to be embarrassed about; his smile, his eyes, his lips, his expression, his everything brings you so much joy! And yet, you’re flushing tomato red. Your friends are questioning you but you don’t know what to say. You’re not in love or like, just a firefly being drawn to the light.

  You wish

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter