Of Penguins and Giraffes

Of Penguins and Giraffes

It was another hot summer day, and Yixuan was on his way to feed the penguins. It was still quite early, so there weren't a lot of people in the zoo yet. The few that WERE there though, they were drawn to the giraffes. For some reason, giraffes were the most popular animals amongst these humans... Yixuan never quite understood why. There was nothing cute about giraffes, he thought. Their long legs, long necks...long everythings... It just wasn't cute. He sighed, as he proceeded to walk towards the penguins. Penguins were cute. Yixuan liked penguins.

Arriving at the penguin home, he found a little boy standing in front of it, pressing his face against the glass panes. As Yixuan approached, the boy looked up with a smile. "Penguins are so cool!!", he expressed cheerfully. "Look at that one!", he laughed as one penguin dived into the water. 

"I like penguins too", Yixuan smiled. "They're cute."

"What's in there?", the little boy asked, pointing at the bucket Yixuan was carrying.

"It's fish", he answered. "I'm going to feed the penguins. Do you want to help, maybe?"

"Can I? Really??" The little boy's face lit up even more as he did those cute little jumping motions cute people do when they get excited. 

"Sure! I'll take you inside, alright?"

Yixuan smiled surprisedly, as the boy took his hand and nodded cheerfully.

"Oh, right, what's your name?", Yixuan remembered as they walked inside.

"Sungjoo! I'm Kim Sungjoo!~" 

"Sungjoo? That's a nice name... I'm Yixuan!"

"Nice to meet you, Yixuan!!" 

"Nice to meet you too, Sungjoo.~ Look, they're greeting us!" 

Sungjoo squealed as a couple of tiny penguins approached them. Yixuan took a fish out of his bucket and offered it to one of them. With the next one, he said to Sungjoo, "Wanna try it too? They don't bite." Sungjoo carefully took the fish with two fingers and grimaced. "It's smelly~~"He extended his hand and quickly withdrew when a penguin took the snack. Sungjoo giggled, and reached to Yixuan for another fish.

As they fed the penguins, Sungjoo said "I like penguins. But my brother doesn't. He likes giraffes. He ALWAYS only wants to see the giraffes... I don't like giraffes that much..". He pouted. "I like penguins a lot more! Penguins are cool!", he nodded certainly.

"Ah... Is your brother here too?"

"He is with my mom! I snuck away to see the penguins!~"

"What? You shouldn't run away from your mother, Sungjoo! Not even for penguins!"

"It's okay, she knows where to find me..~ I would never run away from mummy...I love mummy...~", Sungjoo responded dreamily while patting a penguin on the head.

Yixuan sighed. He could relate to the boy so well, wanting to see pretty penguins instead of gloomy giraffes, but he felt responsible for him, too. 

"Come on, Sungjoo, we're gonna go find your mummy, alright?"

Sungjoo looked at him like a lost puppy. Looked at the penguins with longing eyes. Looked at Yixuan again. And nodded.