two

Strangers in the Night

Junhong could've love mornings if it started later but unfortunately that wasn't the case. The sun hasn't revealed itself and his alarm clock hasn't buzzed yet he is already awake and he would've loved it if he wasn't pissed off. Damn he would've loved it more if there werent ice cubes on his socks (yes, inside his socks) melting and wetting his bed making him jolt at the sudden change in temperature.

 

Damn it, Kim Yerim is a demon.

 

He got up immediately, removed his socks and checked the time.

 

2:14 am.

 

He mentally groans and was surely determined to find the culprit as to why he was awake when he could've actually still be in dreamland with a virtual ramp and a virtual skateboard doing virtual air tricks and being watched by a virtual young woman with a weird color of hair wearing a nice blue dress. Oh damn it, scratch the last part.

 

He finds her sitting at the kitchen counter with a large empty container on hand.

"You placed ing ice cubes on my ing socks." He tried to sound calm but the words came out on their own, slipping out freely before he could filter it. Yeri looks at him with apathy. No interest, no pity and worst, no remorse.

 

"You see this?" she raises the container.

 

"It's a ing empty bread bin, what does it have to do with me being woken up at 2 in the morning goddamn it!" he scratched his head completely annoyed.

 

"Oh it has everything to do with it, you see it's empty and I'm hungry and I want to eat bread right now. Let's go." Yeri jumps off the counter and was still unthreatened by the fact that Junhong is still mad at her. She walks past him and turns around to look at him.

 

"Are you going with me? Because really, I can go out on my own and get kidnapped or maybe killed in the process and you'll get damned for it your whole life. You know, this is all for you, dude."

Upon hearing the casual "dude" he raises his eyebrow and crosses his arms in front of his broad chest.

"I could just barge in to your parents' room and report all of these sh*ts, you know."

"But you wouldn't do that." The girl walks back and was now facing him, she tiptoes so he could hear her whisper

"Because your special literature assignment is in my possession." straight onto his ear.

"Oh no, you didn't actually--"

"Oh yes I did."

"You are a devil Yeri, a very little one."

"I know oppa, I've been told a lot of times."

--

The forced walk to the convenience store was as quiet as the night was. Yeri wasn't blabbering nonsense, for some reasons she was thinking of god knows what and Junhong was the same.

 

It’s been almost a week he thought. He had been going out every night for almost a week, it wasn't intentional though (or at least that's what he thought) he just felt like doing assignments on different cafes for no absolute reason. That's bullsh*t a part of him tells, it was just that wherever he goes he sees that mysterious girl. It's weird because how on earth did they manage to find each other on different dining places? Who knows? Sometimes he comes first and then just like before at around 10 something she comes or sometimes she comes first, whether it's at the cafe or the diner just everywhere. If it's a weird coincidence or they unconsciously communicate through their minds, no one knows but damn he liked it, he liked the exchange of smiles before the other one leaves, it was stupid, why would you smile to a stranger? But then if it's a stranger that you often see it's quite different. It’s been like that for 6 days nights, no talk, just smiles and it's weird but Junhong likes it.

 

"Stay here." it was Yeri.

"hm?"

"you don't have to go in, just wait for me." she looks around and smiles when she sees an empty bench.

"go sit there."

Junhong didn't have time to protest because the little devil ran her way to the store as if it was her first time. He just sat there earphones plugged in, the first 2 minutes were so damn boring that he wanted to get home so bad and sleep. Drowsiness was seeping in, in fact he might be dreaming now because he sees someone, not just someone. He sees the girl. That girl. She's too far but he knows it's her because of the hair color and the aura.

 

Yes, he must be seeing things.

 

She's wearing a white little skirt and a navy blue sweater with a logo of an international school in front, she has her sky blue headphones on. It fits her he thinks, damn everything fits her.

 

The girl was  just strolling down the place with a camera slung on her side and doesn't notice him at first but when she does she turns to him and smiles. Now Junhong wishes he was only seeing things because he was dumbfounded, not a single clue on what to do. She walks her way to him and he shows off his teeth in attempt of giving a smile, he looked nervous, he looked like sh*t, he felt like sh*t.

 

"Hey." She says when she stops just in front of where he was sitting and sits next to him so casual as if she did it every day.

 

"Uh..I..Uh.. Hey" Words escaped through his mouth.

And she laughs, laughs so hard that he actually turned to look at her.

 

"Don't panic." she says in between laughs and he just stares at his hands, so shy, so afraid that his face might turn red again. But it's not as if he hasn't encountered girls it was just that turning red was his face's normal reaction towards that particular stimulus and he's afraid to find out why.

 

She stops laughing.

"I'm so sorry to bother you, it's just that I've been seeing you almost every night that it felt like I already know you. A little weird eh?" she blurts out and chuckles again. On normal occasions Junhong would answer with a casual "yeah" or "really" but he realized that now was the first time he ever saw the girl up close that he could see the light freckles mapping parts of her face, the beautiful long lashes and those bright eyes, so bright he was almost blinded so he doesn't talk, he stares, he stares at the art in front of him and appreciates it and mentally curses himself at the same time for not being able to bring a pen and a piece paper because beautiful words were forming nice sentences in his mind right now.

 

"It's becoming a hobby, eh?" her question brings him back to reality.

 

"What is?" he asks back and was surprised that he had the ability to speak because obviously he didn't have that earlier.

 

"Staying at cafes late at night." she answers and starts fiddling with her camera.

 

He manages to say a nervous "Ah." And once again he was back to staring at the art in front of him, he eyes the scratches on the back of her right hand, it was still red and it's stupid because he thinks it's part of her being an art. He thinks that the subtle imperfections surrounding this mysterious girl sitting beside was what makes her perfect and thinks it's weird to suddenly think of deep and serious things about a person whose name he doesn't even know.

 

"I actually find it funny that we've been dining at the same random place every time, well not really every time but you know this past week and it's so weird because I don't really see people unintentionally more than twice, I didn't see you earlier though, that's a first for this week, I think." She blabbers and he was half paying attention and half watching her lips move in such an elegant but not so much kind of way. When the lips stop moving and forms a casual smile, he assumes that he was supposed to reply or something like that.

 

"Yeah. Maybe we should eat together sometime." and he smiles, the stupid kind of smile and it fades away so easily after realizing what he just said.

 

What did he just say?

 

The girl/genuine artwork thinks it over and damn how he wanted to shrink into a little box right now and just fade in the air but unfortunately that was not going to happen.

 

How on earth did those words came out of his mouth? He doesn't know.

 

His face wasn't red now, it was pale and he was sweating, he feels it trickle down on his forehead.

 

"Ah..Okay that's a funny idea, nice thinking." She answers. He couldn't decipher what it meant and it was relieving yet a little disappointing.

 

"Oh by the way you left a dark green notebook the other night at the diner, I don't know if it's important or something but there were a lot of papers folded inside. And I didn't see you earlier so I couldn't give it to you, I guess I'll just hand it back tomorrow." she looks serious and hell he still didn't know what to reply.

 

Wait.

 

That couldn't possibly happen, his green notebook contained all of the s he had written for literature and Yeri said she had it in her possession.

 

And where the hell is Yeri?

 

"Omo! It's 2:45 I'll be damned, I'll see you tomorrow oh no I mean tonight. Where? Here? What time? Around 7?  Where will we eat? Urg I have to go." she panics. Junhong has the least idea on what was happening.

 

Oh so they were going to meet around 7 and eat and sh*t is this even real, is she even real? Junhong doesn't know so he asks.

 

"Wait is this a dream? Am I imagining things? Are you even real?"

 

She stops looking at the watch, and chuckles as she looks at him. He was quite odd and naturally funny.

She leans in just a little and whispers.

 

"Go figure out." She laughs as she stands up murmurs a soft "see you" and walks away.

 

Junhong doesn't stare at her back when she walked, he stayed there still a little pale and still couldn’t get ahold of what just happened or what he thought just happened. A snap takes him back to reality.

 

"Yo, you zoned out." it was the little devil carrying two bags of whatever she bought.

 

"Uh.. What? What took you so long?" He asks trying to sound a little normal when in fact he still didn't know what happened. He stood up and they started walking their way home.

 

"Oh yeah, that store is so screwed up, they had so many delicious breads on display and I couldn't choose so I bought them all." she explained looking a little too mesmerized at the bags she's carrying.

 

"And what's with you? I was gone for five minutes and when I came back you looked like a who got attacked by a dementor or something." the young girl replied and it made Junhong chuckle, her cousin was weird.

 

And he was so certain that what happened at the bench were all imaginations until Yeri paused and continued walking again.

"Hey I don't really have your assignment with me, I was about to steal it from your bag but it wasn't there."

 

Junhong stopped walking.

 

Sh*t. Maybe it was real. Maybe she was real.

 

"Go figure out." Her voice rings on his mind.

 

"Something wrong? You seriously need to stop zoning out, I was serious when I said you looked like a who got attacked by dementors."

 

"I'm meeting someone tonight." He blurts out all of a sudden, his face showing emotions that're so mixed together that you couldn't actually tell one from the other and there's a pink tint on his cheeks.

 

~

Yes. I know sorry.