fin

Twist of Fate

“Hwang Sungyeol, can you get off your and do something for once? Sitting and looking for Seulbi isn't going to get her to fall in love with you.” The teenager rolled his eyes and grimaced at the voice behind him, putting on his earphones before walking out the door of his stupid ‘step-brother’.

After walking to wherever his feet took him, he crashed into a stranger whose face was covered with a mask and head with a hat. He bowed and let out a sorrowful, ‘I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going, God, I even knocked you over, you're probably all scratched up and-”

“It's okay kiddo.” Sungyeol could practically see the pursed lips through the mask. “Just be careful next time.” The masked man brushed his hands off and noticed small hinds of blood from the pavement beneath their feet.

“You're bleeding. Are you sure you're okay? The dirt could get it infected..” Sungyeol would've never spend this long apologizing to a stranger but somehow the dark eyes and covered features intrigued him.

The man lowered his mask and flashed a genuine smile. “I'm okay, I promise. A little cut on the hand is probably the best thing I've dealt with in the last few hours.”

“Wait, you're S-”

He was hushed by the cat-eyed man who quickly pulled his mask back up. “Yeah.. that's why I'm all covered up. I kind of ran away and I can't let anyone know where I am... so keep it on the down low.. Please?”

“I-I can give you a place to stay, if you want. If you showed your face at a hotel you'd probably get caught right away so I'd wait it out...that's just my suggestion.”

“Really? That's okay with you? With your parents? You're just a kid and I don't want to get you in trouble..”

“Yeah.. I'll just tell my dad a friend needs a place to stay. He's not really caught up on celebrities so he wouldn't recognize you, and neither would the witch..”

“The witch?”

“My step mother. Come on.” Sungyeol his heels and walked in the direction of his home after calculating where he was before proceeding to dial his dad's phone number.

After hanging up, he looked back to make sure the celebrity was following him, backpack slung over his shoulders heavily.

Sungyeol stopped in his tracks and waited until the celebrity caught up to him. “Give me your bag, I'll carry it for you.”

“No, kid.. I'm okay. You're already letting me stay at your house, I can't make you carry my bag.”

“You're not making me, I want to.” The masked man sighed in defeat and handed the bag over which made the high school boy smile contently.

“So how old are you? Obviously still a student. The uniforms are nice now.” He heard the smile in his voice.

“I'm 18. And we're here.”

“18. I miss that age. Everything was so much easier.” He followed the boy inside and let out another “thank you for everything”, while proceeding to take off his mask, hat, and shoes.

“It was easier for you at 18?” He sighed. “Everything seems harder for me.”

“It'll be like that,” he paused, “I never caught your name.”

“Sungyeol. And you're Siwoo... anyone would know that.”

 

Siwoo stepped out of the bathroom with a towel slung over his shoulder and he walked into the room the teenager prepared for him kindly. The high schooler sat on the floor next to the bed with a curious look on his face.

“Why did you run away?” He stood up and grabbed a first aid kid out of the closet and coaxed the elder to give him his hand, which was already cleaned off in the shower, before he proceeded to wrap it in bandages.

“Everything. I couldn’t even go home because I couldn’t face my mother. I ran away because I grew up too fast,” the singer laughed bitterly. “At 22 you’d think everything would be great, you’re out of school, living the days of drinking alcohol to your heart’s desire and having a laidback life. I spoiled it. At 22 I have far more responsibilities I should have.” He watched as the teenager carefully wrapped the bandage around his cut hand. “Don’t grow up too fast, Sungyeol-ssi. It already seems like it’s happening to you so stop it. Don’t take the glory days for granted.”

“Thanks for everything.”

“It’s no problem. Running into you and helping out you is probably the one thing that hasn’t made me feel like a monster lately.”

Siwoo found himself the younger’s head as if to comfort him. “Even if the whole world turns its back on you I’ll have your side. You’re the first teenager I’ve met that doesn’t care about how famous I am. You’re just a kid trying to help someone out and I appreciate that.”

 

Sungyeol awoke the next morning and checked the guest bedroom, only to find that the singer was gone and there was no trace of him left. Sungyeol sighed, knowing he’d never be able to see the handsome guy again, because after all, he’s famous, and Sungyeol’s just a kid trying to help someone out. Unlocking his phone, he found it open to a photo that had never been on his phone before.

It was a photo of Siwoo and his sleeping figure, with Siwoo was here^^ written across it. He wondered how someone he had just met had the guts to be silly around him even if they were just mere strangers. But Sungyeol smiled anyway, admiring his cat like eyes and dimples deeper than the Grand Canyon.

 

“Sungyeol, you’re all weird and smiley today. It’s unusual. You don’t have that resting grimace on your face,” Gisoo remarked, which only ended up in him cowering because of Sungyeol’s raised fist.

“Why? Can’t I be happy for once? Everyone goes and steals my thunder and all I am is upset. I’d like to be happy for once too.”

“It’s just out of the norm, that’s all I’m saying. You look nicer when you smile anyway, so I hope whatever or whoever is making you like this keeps it up.”

Sungyeol’s heart faltered at the fact that this whoever (he knew exactly who it was) would never be able to keep it up because he’s a celebrity who has his own things to worry about instead of teenage boys.

He found himself looking at the picture a lot and smiling widely at the elder’s perfect features. He found himself longing to see him again, this time for longer, and to hug him and k- girls, you like girls, Sungyeol.

“Whoa, is that Si-”

“Shut up.”

“I’m not making fun of you! I just didn’t know you were that kind of person. You like those things? Wow, you surprise me everyday, Hwang Sungyeol.” Sungyeol hit his step brother’s arm with the back of his hand, earning an ‘ouch’ in return.

“I didn’t mean shut up you’re making fun of me, I meant shut up, no one’s supposed to know.”

“Know about what? Your crush on him?” Woohyun teased, but Sungyeol’s cheeks heated up - his body admitting the truth before his head even could.

“No, the fact that I’m the only person that knows where he is… or was… since he ran away.”

“So you’re telling me you didn’t just save one of his selcas and that’s actually one he like left on your phone or something.”

“That’s unfortunately exactly what happened, now shut up.”

“It still doesn't explain the fact that you keep staring at it. You're a big fan of him, just admit it! It's okay.”

Sungyeol sighed and glanced at the photo once more before slipping his phone into his pocket and going back to whatever the hell he was studying and putting on his music. He scowled as an Infinite Power song came on, but his heart raced to no limits and defied the bitter look strewn across his face.

 

Sungyeol walked through the halls and heard girls screaming about how Infinite Power was at their school?

Infinite Power was at their school.

Infinite Power was at their school. Which meant Siwoo was at their school.

And , Sungyeol didn't even know how it was humanly possible to develop a crush on someone within less than 24 hours and stupid love at first sight, why isn't he cynical?

Girls crowded around a van, and Sungyeol was still really confused as to why Infinite Power was at their school. Did they win the lottery or something?

One by one, the members stepped out but there was one person missing.

Siwoo.

Much to Sungyeol's disappointment.

He sighed and walked away from the crowd, not bothering because the only person he could only possibly care about at that moment was not there.

 

Sungyeol didn't know why he was expecting to see Siwoo again. He was a celebrity, it was a one time thing and it had been a month. He almost gave up, until there was a ring on his doorbell on the night he was home alone.

He swung the door open and was welcomed by the same, gorgeous, blonde, cat eyed man he met a month ago.

“I haven't stopped thinking about you,” was the first thing Sungyeol heard the moment he opened the door, and all he could let out was a little “me too” in return.

“It's just.. you, and your stupidly round and gorgeous eyes and your long legs and I barely spent 24 hours with you but I can't get you off of my mind.”

“I-I've been the same and that stupid photo of you wasn't helping either because your stupid dimples and stupid eyes...”

They sat next to each other on the floor, shoulders touching and eyes locked.

“I'm losing my mind thinking about you. When you'll come back..”

Siwoo brought his face closer, noses brushing and lips barely touching. “If you'll allow me... I won't leave..”  

“Then don't..”

Siwoos' eyes fluttered shut as he met lips with the younger and it felt so right as if their lips were shaped to fit each other's. And God, did Sungyeol feel in love.

He didn't even feel this way with Seulbi, he loved the way Siwoo's lips felt against his and he loved how gentle he was and he loved how it was love at first sight. He spent all this time trying to make people love him but all he needed was Siwoo.

The sound their lips made when they separated sent a shiver down Sungyeol's spine. Their foreheads still touched and their eyes never left each other's.

“Don't leave.. ever again.”

“You know I have to.”

“Don't leave and make me go crazy missing you, to rephrase it.”

 

Sungyeol and Siwoo couldn't meet often — due to Siwoo's new solo activities and Sungyeol's shifts at Ms. Gong's and school, but they still loved everyday and no one could figure out how Sungyeol changed so much over night.

“You got over Seulbi so quickly?”

“I was never into her.”

“Sure you were, that's what got you into all of that in the first place, wasn't it?”

“I was dumb. I don't care as much anymore, date her all you want.”

“Wow, Hwang Sungyeol, you've changed.”

“For the better.”

“Who did this to you?”

“None of your business, Shin.”

“Did you get a girlfriend? Oh my God, why didn't you tell me, I'm your brother.”

“No, you're an , and I said it's none of your business.”

“You're all shy, come on, tell me about her! I promise I won't tell.”

“Ugh, you're irritating me.”

Sungyeol shrieked as Woohyun grabbed his phone and unlocked it (how the hell did he know his passcode?) and found gazillions of pictures with Siwoo and Sungyeol hid his face in his hands.

“There's two things you were keeping from me? I can't believe you, Yeol.”

“There's so many reasons I kept it from you, you .”

“But it's cute. And no matter what I'll still love you, buttface, you're my brother.”

“What?”

“You two are cute.”

 

Sungyeol entered in the passkey to Siwoo's apartment closed the door behind him before the people behind him could even step in. “Yongbok, is it okay if I brought some others? They were itching to meet you so...”

“Of course.” His little blonde head peeked in from the corner and those stupid dimples that made Sungyeol so weak appeared. “But give me a kiss first.”

Sungyeol smiled and instinctively wrapped his arms around the elders neck, enjoying the way the other's arms held his waist before meeting lips, but it didn't last long until the door opened behind them.

“Oh, sorry. Did I interrupt something?” A smug look was on his step brother's face.

“Ugh, how did you even get in here?”

“I have good observatory skills.”

“You might want to change your passcode, the whole reason he found out about us was because he somehow got into my phone.”

Siwoo smiled and pecked the student's lips before letting go of his waist and shaking hands with the two people in front of him.

“That's my step brother, Shin Woohyun, and our really good friend Lee Seulbi.”

“Ah... I would've invited Sena but she disappeared two months ago... we could've had a nice friendly dinner.”

Sungyeol scowled at Sena's name which only made Siwoo chuckle and mumble about how ridiculous he is before leading the others into the living room.

“I'm sorry for making you cook for two more. I can help you with that!”

“No, you're my guests. I'll do it all, as an elder and as a host. I'll pop in every once in a while if I need your help, so talk amongst yourselves.”

Siwoo disappeared into the next room and Woohyun smiled at Sungyeol. “He seems nice.”

“Paws off.”

Woohyun raised his hands in defense and nodded at Sungyeol's demand. “Hey, I won't take him. I already made that mistake once.”

Sungyeol rolled his eyes and (barely) listened as Woohyun chatted away about something he probably didn't care about.

“If you'll excuse me, I'm going to spend time with my boyfriend who I haven't seen in  weeks rather than you who I see everyday.”

 

Sungyeol walked into the kitchen and hugged the shorter man from behind, resting a chin on his shoulder. “I’ve missed you. Why are you so famous?”

“I’m just trying to make money to support the two of us when we’re married. What good is a high school student?” Sungyeol heard his favorite chuckle but squinted when he heard the word ‘married’.

“Married? I’m not marrying you, you’re a jerk that doesn’t have any time for me. Why would I want to spend the rest of my life with a handsome, talented, famous, good kisser like you? You’re old too.”

“You love me.”

Sungyeol only hummed in response before pressing a kiss to his cheek and walking out.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I love you too.”