"Kidding."

My Small World
twenty-nine
— "Kidding." —
 

It was after school and Jungkook had invited Hyunjung to his house, which made his mom very happy when she saw her. They spent the time waiting for dinner up in Jungkook’s room, and that was when she had seen the photo frame on his desk next to his birthday card for Jimin. She looked at it more closely and saw that it looked like a very timely picture; it was of Jungkook and Jimin, and they looked like they were only about ten years old. “Ah, that,” Jungkook began when he saw her looking at the photo. “That’s what I’m giving Chim for his birthday. It was taken the day it was his tenth birthday.”

“You both looked so cute back then.” She noting both to their cheeks, which caused Jungkook to chuckle. “His birthday is soon, aren't you going to wrap it?”

He shrugged and replied, “I was, but my mom told me I’d probably end up breaking it if I did it myself. And besides, it’s the thought that counts anyway.”

Hyunjung nodded unconvincingly and quickly added, “If you want, I could wrap it for you?” Her abrupt offer made Jungkook bring his head up at her. “I wouldn’t mind at all. Plus, I feel bad for not asking when his birthday was before, so doing this would at least make me feel a little better about it,” she said.

Jungkook could clearly see in her whole expression how much she wanted to do it. He gave her a playful smile and pinched her cheek which made her chuckle a little. “I’ll get the wrapping paper.”

Jungkook came back shortly after with the wrapping paper, along with scissors, tape and red ribbon. “This is all I could find.” He regarded distastefully the tube of bright, glossy blue wrapping paper in his hand, and gave it to Hyunjung along with the others. “This must’ve been from my fourteenth birthday or something,” he joked. “I really do not like this paper. I couldn’t find anything else, so sorry if it’s not enough.”

“This is more than plenty, thanks Jungkook.” She began her task, and tried to focus on what she was doing, but her fingers fumbled just from trying to find the edge of the roll of tape. “Damn it,” she mumbled. At the house, her uncle had used paper clips and put it on the ridge so that the next time it was needed it would be easier for its next use, but right now she couldn’t find the edge on the stupid roll of tape and she was growing impatient.

“Uh, do you need help with that?”

She directed her eyes up and saw that Jungkook had an amused look on his face, his lips were quirked up and it appeared to her like he was trying his best not to laugh. She sulked. “Yes, please,” she uttered and handed over the tape.

It took about five seconds for him to find the edge, which made Hyunjung’s lips arch down even more, even after he had handed it back to her. Jungkook cocked his head to the side with a smug look on his face. She narrowed her eyes at him. “Now you’re just bragging,” she said, her evident frown deepening as she watched him. He rested his hands at the back of his head and bared a smile which showed off his front teeth, and Hyunjung found it hard not to smile herself, but she could tell he was rubbing it in even if it was because of something barely significant.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he intoned. Hyunjung didn’t let herself get distracted, and went back to what she was doing. It was a while until she finished. With Jungkook besides her contorting the weirdest facial expressions, playing with her hair, and talking about things that were irrelevant to what she was doing, it made a simple task which should only take ten minutes to finish into eighteen.

Jungkook feigned a deep sigh as if he were tired. “Geez, does it really take that long to wrap a gift? If so, then I am never wrapping anything again,” he said, and even the most gullible person would’ve been able to tell that he wasn’t being serious. Hyunjung had placed the gift back on his desk, and sat back down on the floor across him. This was the point when she had run out things to talk about, and it seemed to be that Jungkook wasn’t helping, and she could tell by his small smile that he was waiting for her to start a conversation.

“Uh, so, hi,” she mumbled, and out of shyness brought her gaze from his eyes to her hands which were placed on her knees.

He chuckled. “Hi,” he replied softly.

“How are you?”

“I’m alright.”

It was weird. When she started dating Jungkook, she expected to feel different – not including the ‘butterflies’ or any of that – of course she did – but what she meant was as a whole. Though it wasn’t a bad thing, it was just something which took her some time to notice. Jungkook was the still the same person he was back then, and he was still the same person now.

“Hyunjung?”

She shook her head and looked up at the boy in front of her. He gave her a pout which looked way too exaggerated. “Why’re you so far away?” He patted the space on the floor just in front of his legs, and repeated the action after she didn’t respond after five seconds. She shuffled a little closer to him. Jungkook was still not satisfied, and once again, patted the same spot in front of him. With a sigh, she shuffled a little more. Jungkook was still not satisfied, a smirk growing over his face like a lazy teacher’s check mark, and an interrogative, but almost amused look on his face shown itself. Finally, she scooted closer until the knees of their crossed legs touched. “That’s better. But you know what would make me even happier?” he said. Hyunjung sent him a questioning brow. The corners of his sealed lips rose even more. “If you sat on my –”

“Jungkook –” Her cheeks began to feel warm.

Jungkook placed his hands on her kneecaps. “Hey, don’t worry, I’m just kidding. Don’t look so embarrassed.” He leaned closer and planted a long kiss on her cheek. She met his eyes, and on his face was what looked to Hyunjung like the most reassuring and thoughtful smile someone could possibly give her. She sighed inwardly. I must’ve saved a burning village in my past life to deserve a guy like him. “You’ve been sighing a lot, Hyunjung. You can’t be wanting to break up with me already.” He rested his elbow on his knee and placed the side of his head on his knuckles, staring at her gravely.

“N-No! That wasn’t what I was thinking at all!” she exclaimed, evidently flustered.

Jungkook laughed, again. “I’m sorry. I’m just joking, don’t worry. But really, what’s on your mind? You don’t have to tell if you want to. But judging by that look on your face, I can tell that you’d rather stay quiet.” Hyunjung lowered her eyes, and she felt his hands on her shoulders. She looked up again and he pulled her towards him so her head was against his chest. Both of them had to uncross their legs so that they weren’t in an awkward and uncomfortable position, but the hug lasted a long while. She inhaled deeply and closed her eyes. “But just remember,” he mumbled into her hair. “That whatever it is you say to me, no matter what it is, I’ll do my best to accept it whole heartedly. But I understand that there will be things you’ll think would rather be left unsaid, and that’s fine with me. I’m happy enough that you’re with me. I just hope that you feel the same way.” Hyunjung screwed her eyes tighter, her arms around him were so firm, and her fingers balled the back of his shirt. Those words. Those words. She always wanted someone to say those kind of words to her. Her happiness was off-limits.

“Jeon Jungkook!”

They pulled away quickly after hearing the bellowing voice. It was his mom calling from downstairs. Jungkook sent her an apologetic look and stood up. “Coming!” He went out the room and Hyunjung heard his fast footfalls going down the stairs. It was very soon until she heard the same quick steps coming up, and he peeped his head at the doorway. “You’re hungry, right?” he asked. Hyunjung nodded and rose from her sitting position on the floor.

“Starving,” she replied. Jungkook grinned.

“Well I hope you’ll like what mommy Jeon cooked.”

She laughed. “I can smell the food from here. I can tell I’m going to like it already.”

They went downstairs and dawdled their way to the kitchen where Jungkook’s mom was. She greeted Hyunjung so openly and ushered her to sit down straight away. But she went out of the kitchen for a while to get the clothes on the washing-line outside, which she had forgotten to take down earlier. Jungkook sat across from Hyunjung. “You know she adores you already. She kept asking me about you yesterday.”

“I love your mom,” she said shortly after.

He tilted his head at her. “And you love me?”

“Jung –”

“Kidding.”

He said that a lot, but she let it be and continued to sit in silence while they waited for his mom to come back.

 


Friday

 

Jimin eyed the object held in Jungkook’s hand. The red ribbon and blue wrapping paper seemed so unlike what Jungkook would choose, but that wasn’t what was bothering him. “I told you not to get me anything.” The rest of the boys had each given Jimin something for his birthday, even if he did emphasize many times that he didn’t want anything.

“I know,” Jungkook said with a proud smile, but a grave look took its place on his face. “I have something to confess though.” Jimin exhaled deeply. He just hoped that whatever it was he was going to say, it wouldn’t be something like swapping his shampoo with bleach, or hiding his school project in the park by the duck pond; the usual shenanigans of Jungkook.

“I didn’t wrap this myself. Hyunjung helped.”

“I knew something was up, you never would’ve been able to do this yourself.” Jimin sighed. “Thanks Kook,” he said appreciatively, “and tell Hyunjung that she did a good job wrapping it.”

Jungkook nodded. “It’s a shame you’re not going to be here on your birthday, but have fun in Busan. And you better be ready for the sports fest when you come back.”

“You won’t need to worry, I will.”

Jungkook clapped him on the back which caused him to stumble forward. “Good. I’ll see you on Monday.”

“Yeah, see you.” Jimin watched Jungkook jog over to Hyunjung who was waiting at the school gates. He chuckled at the sight. Jimin decided that instead of putting the gift in his school bag, he’d hold it himself to not risk it from getting damaged. Just from holding it in his hand, he could tell the gift Jungkook got for him was fragile. Along with the wave of students around him, he headed over to the gates so he could head home, but it wasn’t soon until he felt himself being held back. He turned his head. It was Shinae, who was holding tightly onto the zip of his bag. Before he could tell her to let go, she brought something out from behind her and waved it in front of his face.

“This is for your birthday, loser.”

Jimin looked at her with furrowed brows, but took it from her with care. “Thanks, Shinae.”

“Have a good time in Busan.”

“Yeah.”

To his pleasant surprise, she gave him a genuine grin and told him, “You better bring back some cake.”

He rolled his eyes. “Sure.”

“Thanks. See you, Jimin!” she said, and hurried past him, weaving through the mass of students to catch up with Jihyun and her other friends. Jimin looked down at what she had given him. The shape of it was very familiar. And then it came to him, it was that toy that he had supposedly lost when he was eight. But by ‘lost’, Shinae had stolen it from him. Of course it had to be given back after years. He was surprised that she still had it. Because of its age, Jimin knew it was another gift which he had to handle carefully. Moments like these made him realize how glad he was that his house wasn’t too far from the school, otherwise he most likely would have broken them by now.

Author's Note: