1/1

What Heaven Feels Like

Baekhyun isn’t sure what he did in Earthland to deserve this. Okay, there are few reasons up in his sleeves but are all of those worthy enough to land him on this certain job?

There was one time when he tried to punish, cut that out, he tried to give the drunken student a lesson by setting the fire alarm in the middle of the night, hoping the drunken student can get the blame and will finally learn his lesson, but it didn’t go as planned as it triggered a mass of students running around the hallway, wanting to get out of the building - hoping for survival. Okay, he miscalculated, Baekhyun thought there wouldn’t be much fuss about it but in the end, there were several students who got injured.

There was also this one time when he accidentally, yes, it was an accident, let a homeless guy win the lottery. Because Baekhyun lacked information, he didn’t know that the former homeless guy, now a millionaire, was a con artist. And now, he was back to his old selfish self.

There was also this one time – okay, cut it out, Baekhyun gets it.

Baekhyun slumps into the golden porch with diamond embellishments just outside the main hall. Beside him, his best friend puts an arm around his shoulder offering some kind of sympathy.

“There were a lot in the team who did worse than me, but why am I the one chosen?” Baekhyun grumbles in disappointment.

“Maybe because you accidentally cause a 4-hour traffic and ended with people hurting each other?” Jongin tries to enlighten his friend, innocently. “Or maybe, that one time when you ---“

“You’re not helping,” Baekhyun mutters darkly.

“I know you’ll do well Baek.”  Jongin encourages. “You always find a way to make everything work”

“Thanks.” Baekhyun replies while he dusts off his white dress,

“It’s just a day – only a day. I can do this.” With his courage faltering, he tries to give himself words of encouragement but it made no difference, he was scared as hell.

A day before his quest, he prays to God that everything will be alright and let this transaction be over as quickly as possible and he promises he’ll do well on Earthland so he won’t have to endure this task again.

It seems the time doubles its speed because today is the day, Baekhyun is set to a one of a kind journey.

He enters the sacred hall and there he meets the ever shining Gabriella, “Are you ready Baekhyun? It’ll be over as soon as the other signs it”

He didn’t mutter a reply because Gabriella is already transporting him, the ground suddenly shakes and all of a sudden, the floor starts to open and the last words the people heard was Baekhyun cursing, “Why do I have to travel to hell?”

Angels and demons are opposite creatures. One is of a pure soul, and one can be described as a tainted spirit. In Earthland, people believed the two worlds don’t coincide but in reality, heaven and hell were affiliated. They bring equality to mankind, the hell allowing the sinners to be punished, while heaven celebrates one’s kindness.

To make this work, heaven and hell made an agreement, they will live separately, away from each other but every 800th year, they will meet to change the contract, add provisions or exchange information vital to each party so they will not reach any pandemonium.

This year, Baekhyun got the task to deliver the new contract. The travel takes a while so Baekhyun falls asleep and when he opens his eyes, a dark creature appears in front of him, to be exact, it’s an inch away from him. with a terrifying grin, he hell guy utters, “Welcome to hell”

Baekhyun freezes. He doesn’t budge. After quite some time, he curses and it echoes through the dark pavement, “”

“Woah, woah ---- “

Baekhyun pushes the creature away from him and hurries to get up; he dusts off his clothes and pulls his messenger bag closer to him as he begins to scramble everything inside it. As he is busy rummaging his bag, the hell guy who seems to be a creature from hell initiates conversation.

“So, this is what an angel looks like.”

But Baekhyun won’t say any reply.

“I didn’t think angels can curse because you’re the good guys, right?”

Baekhyun doesn’t utter any comeback because at last he got hold of the golden parchment.

“Here” He finally says, “You can sign it and then I can go back”

There’s an evident confusion on the face of the receiver, “Sign?”

“Yes sign, I have been told that you need to sign, here, here and here”

The creature then moves closely. Baekhyun is too stunned to push him away.

“You must be mistaken, I’m not the one signing the agreement, my boss does that job. I’m just a tour guide”

With eyes wide open, and mouth hung agape, Baekhyun couldn’t formulate any response or couldn’t think clearly. In just a span of minutes, Baekhyun is touring hell.

“The is this?” He screams out of frustration and he gets more serious when he hears the hell guy laugh in response.

“What the is funny, hell guy?” Baekhyun retorts.

“You have a pretty bad mouth for an angel, and my name is Chanyeol by the way.” Chanyeol grins stupidly and Baekhyun hates it. Baekhyun hates everything.

“If you want to go home badly, I think we should start our journey. So my boss can sign the stupid contract and you can back to your sparkling world” With playfulness hinted at every word, Chanyeol begins to walk clearly confident that the little light will follow him.

With much mumbling and a few more cursing, Baekhyun follows Chanyeol. He doesn’t have a choice after all.

On their way to what Chanyeol called the hideout, Baekhyun is at awe, hell sure is different from heaven. Everything is black, and red – the place emits a strong emotion of melancholic pain and Baekhyun just feels sad.

“We’re not that far. Are you tired?” Chanyeol suddenly asks.

“No” Baekhyun replies softly.

“What does heaven look like?”

Baekhyun is taken aback because Chanyeol’s voice just sounded unhappy.

“It’s white and flashy.” Baekhyun replies and he sees Chanyeol’s face suddenly lifts up as if wanting him to continue his story so Baekhyun did.

Baekhyun doesn’t know how long he has been walking or how long he has been staying in hell because he is immersed with his conversation with Chanyeol. They exchange bizarre stories of their experiences guiding the humans, the life in heaven and how is it living in hell.

Baekhyun can’t believe that in hell, he finds solace. He always feared going down below because of the stories imprinted in his mind. He thought every creature in hell is the complete opposite of those guarding heaven.

“What does it feels like living in heaven?”

“We always celebrate; there are a lot of things to do. Everything emits happiness. I can’t really describe it in words because no words can ever describe how amazing it feels like to be in heaven”

And then Baekhyun suddenly is caught off guard,

“Sometimes, I wish I can experience what it’s like to be in heaven”

Baekhyun doesn’t know what to reply. So he stays quiet, he feels it’s the right answer.

They continue to walk but now in complete silence.

“I have a confession to make.” Chanyeol abruptly declares.

“What?” Baekhyun stops on tracks.

Chanyeol fidgets, eyes locked on the ground.

“There’s no boss. I’m the one who needed to sign the paper. I don’t know what got into me but I just wanted more time” He says so fast, Baekhyun almost didn’t get every word.

“More time for what?”

“You know what, I’ll just sign this, and you can now go.” Chanyeol snatches off the golden parchment from Baekhyun.

Before Chanyeol could sign the paper, Baekhyun puts his hands over Chanyeol’s

“More time for what, Chanyeol?”

“You can’t sign this unless you answer me and I mean it. More time for what?”

Clearly defeated, Chanyeol musters up his courage and utters a reply, “To get to know you”

It’s all hushed for a couple of minutes. But Baekhyun’s hand never left Chanyeol’s.

“Why?” Baekhyun suddenly asks.

“It’s the only time I get to see you again.”

“Again? What do you mean again?”

“I remember you. I remember you as a human, we are all humans once but maybe I did so many ill things in the past, that’s why maybe I ended up here. But I saw you, I remember you, you saved me.”

“I don’t understand. You’re not supposed to remember who you are in Earthland.”

“I didn’t, I only remember you.”

“I searched hell and I didn’t find you, I’m sure you’re in heaven so I always take this job – always, with a little hope of seeing you. This is 27th time, and--- and --- finally, I saw you. I’m sorry. I know you wanted to go back immediately. I just, ”

Chanyeol suddenly imprints his thumb into the parchment.

With horror in his eyes, Baekhyun screams, “What the ?”

And then the place suddenly shakes - the dark sky suddenly opens, it’s time to go.

“I’m happy I get to see you.” Chanyeol says. “All the years I’ve waited was worth it.”

“You stupid hell guy” Baekhyun curses.

Before Baekhyun disappears, he leaves a message, “See you after 800 years.”

Chanyeol places his hand against his chest because he feels so light, so happy, so full. As he repeats Baekhyun’s smiling face on his mind, he then realizes that “Maybe this is what heaven feels like”

 

“Baekhyun feels like heaven.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: I havent written since forever. I am truly sorry :( I will work hard in the future. Thanks for still reading my fics. You are the best!