Of the Wind (2/2)

Of the Wind

The next morning Lu Han eats, washes up, and gets to work.

It's starting to feel like routine by now, and that worries him.

He spends the evening grilling chicken, washing dishes, and sorting cutlery. By the time lunch rolls around, Lu Han's head is still filled with Sehun.

He feels ridiculous for it, but he can still feel those warm fingers on his cheek, and the sound of wind afterwards. It’s like a shadow, hovering over him all evening, fingers ghosting over his skin. Lu Han continues to hear that breeze long after Sehun is gone, and it still lingers in his ears, even now.

After lunch he's waitering once again. His movements are quicker, more sure now, and he flits from table to table, effective in more ways than one.

At midnight Yifan arrives, sends Lu Han a friendly smile before introducing his companion.

"Lu Han, I want you to meet Junmyeon," Yifan says. He pats the other man on the back as they sit down by their table.

"He's an important friend. We have a lot of the same tasks," Yifan pauses. "Junmyeon?"

The man called Junmyeon is small. He's shorter than Yifan by a head, and his hands are tiny. He's wearing a light pewter gwanbok, with a colorful belt wrapped tight around his small waist. Everything about Junmyeon screams discomfort. His eyes are wide, flitting from Lu Han to Yifan, and his fingers shake violently.

"Junmyeon? Are you alright?” Yifan questions. His brow furrows in a look Lu Han hasn't seen before.

Junmyeon continues to stare at Lu Han. His bangs dance when he nods.

"Q-quite all right," Junmyeon stutters before downing an entire glass of wine. Lu Han chuckles, raising a skeptical eyebrow.

Yifan converses politely with Lu Han every time he brings a dish. He sends compliments to the chef, and tries more than once to bring Junmyeon into the conversation. The shy fellow refuses each time though, and by the time dessert arrives, he's so fidgety Lu Han wonders if Junmyeon is ill.

"I need to go," Junmyeon declares. He rises so quickly the table almost goes with him.

"I'll pay you back later," he mutters at Yifan before rushing out of the restaurant.

Yifan sends Junmyeon a crestfallen look, but says nothing as his friend disappears in a whirlwind of twitchy movements.

"I'm terribly sorry," Yifan sighs, as Lu Han gathers up the cutlery. "Please forgive him, he's been acting weird all day. I don't know what's up with him, maybe..." Yifan pauses, taps his chin with a slim finger, and narrows his eyes. Lu Han stacks three bowls on top of each other, but his gaze never leaves Yifan.

"Maybe what?"

"I think he may be upset for my sake," Yifan continues, his voice low and soft. Lu Han almost misses it over the sound of chatter and clattering from around them.

"I am bound to a river outside the village." Yifan's eyes follow Jongin as he passes their table. They nod at each other.

"I'm only allowed to leave once a day, and only to visit this restaurant. You could say I'm a watch hound of sorts, under the command of the Demon King of course," Yifan dabs at the corner of his lip with a napkin. He seems to be far away.

"I'm not supposed to say this, but there's a way for me to resign. I'm not particularly fond of this job, but the only way I can quit is if I get my hands on the Yeoujiu." Another sigh escapes Yifan, and all of a sudden his face seems to sag. His eyes are hollow, mouth turned downward, and even his skin seems drab.

"What's a Yeoujiu?" Lu Han scratches the back of his head, and scrunches up his face. He fiddles with the bowls in his arms too, but Yifan laughs, and the light returns to his face.

"It's an orb, to say it simply," he explains. The pressure disappears like air out of a balloon. Yifan points to the roof with a skinny finger. "It resides up there, and it's only granted to the most deserving apprentices. It's remarkable."

Yifan gathers his belongings, and sends Lu Han a last apologetic look.

"I'm sure Junmyeon is just worried about me. Don’t take his behavior personally. He knows I've been feeling down lately. That man is too kind for his own good."

As Yifan disappears out the large oaken doors, Lu Han thinks Yifan must be kind, too.




The night shift continues, and Lu Han finds himself growing better and better at the tasks he's assigned to. He juggles bottles of rice wine with trays filled with fried chicken, and the amount of dishes he can carry has multiplied. Lu Han gets so caught up in the job that he barely notices when break rolls around. His anxiety over the fact that he's far from home has dampened, and somewhere at the back of his mind, Lu Han feels afraid of this.

"Yo," Jongin says between bites. His mouth is stuffed with overcooked potato and he's positively beaming.

Jongin sits on a counter in the kitchen, back leaning languidly on the tiled wall behind him. His feet swing happily as he eats. He offers Lu Han a piece of his lunch.

"Yo yourself," Lu Han replies, accepting the meal. He surveys the area while taking a seat next to Jongin.

"Where's Yixing? I thought I saw him earlier." He searches the crowd, but Lu Han sees only a mass of sand garot, none of which belong to their friend.

"He got called on by the Demon King again," Jongin says, swallowing thickly and gulping half a liter of spring water. "Poor fellow has enough on his plate, doesn't need the boss ordering him around even more," Jongin sighs.

"Why does he need Yixing anyway? The Demon King, I mean," Lu Han frowns, and chews thoughtfully on his potato. It tastes stale and bland, but he swallows it anyway.

"He's special," Jongin mutters. His eyes seem dark, even though the kitchen is bright. "Yixing always was. Has some sort of healing powers. I never saw it myself, because he doesn't like talking about it, but the Demon King knows of course." Jongin tosses the rest of his meal in the trash. The muffled sound appears louder than it should.

"He uses it too, a little too much if you ask me. Yixing's too good to refuse, but it's not like he can anyway. No one gets a say in anything around here." Jongin starts to sound bitter, frost coating his voice. Lu Han decides to change topics. It's only been a day since Jongin decided to accept Lu Han and he doesn't want to reverse the situation.

"I heard something about a hunter while I was serving today," Lu Han says quickly. He picks at a loose thread in his apron. It twirls easily around his finger.

"Shadow hunter?" he questions, sending Jongin a skeptical look. The bitterness has dissipated from the man's face.

"Oh yeah, there's that too," Jongin ponders, narrowing his eyes. "There's this guy wandering around the woods. They say he's dressed completely in black, and carries an oversized blade on his shoulder." Jongin scoffs. "Pretty sure it's a fairy tale, I've only ever heard about this from gossipy ahjummas."

Jongin continues to talk about the hunter though, and Lu Han listens with half an ear.

His gaze skitters from station to station in the kitchen. The fluorescent lights illuminate the surfaces, leaving them shiny and bright. Lu Han watches chefs finish up their lunches, kitchen boys wiping counters, and he catches himself feeling peaceful. It's a modest zap of emotion, but Lu Han jumps in surprise. He scrambles off the counter, earning himself a curious look from Jongin.

"I'm gonna go... clean something," Lu Han mutters, and hightails out the back door.




Frightened by his own emotions, Lu Han downs three cups of coffee, and is abuzz with energy when sunrise rolls around. He perches on a wooden chair by the balcony, ignoring both Jongin and Yixing's advice of going to bed.

Lu Han has let himself get too familiar. He let his guard down somewhere along the way, and he needs to go home before it gets worse.

Adrenaline surges through him as he surveys the balcony, the forest beyond it, and the sky. His eyes are red, and they sting, yet Lu Han remains where he is. Sehun is coming soon. Lu Han knows he is.

Just as he's about to nod off, a familiar wave of warm wind envelops him. He forces his eyes open and there Sehun stands, in the center of the door opening. A surge of electricity skitters down Lu Han’s spine.

"Hi," Lu Han says, mouth busy with an extravagant yawn. Sehun chuckles, before extending an arm.

"Hello," he says, and his hand is warm in Lu Han's.

"Let's get you home now, alright?"




Lu Han initially had a myriad of questions for Sehun. They accumulated the longer they were apart, and multiplied every time Sehun’s shadow haunted the kitchen and its busy corners.

Now that Sehun's hand rests snugly in Lu Han's, none of them seem to matter.

Lu Han's palm is sweaty and sticky against Sehun's as they navigate the hallways. Warmth and safety connect them by touch as Sehun leads, finding paths with familiar ease. Lu Han keeps his eyes on Sehun's back. He notes how the man's shoulder bones are visible under the gwanbok. Lu Han stares, eyes glued to Sehun’s back, feeling a faint urge to touch. He almost trips when he notices a tiny mole at the base of Sehun's neck. Lu Han flushes as he rights himself. Ridiculous.

Machinery huffs and clunks all around them. There’s a leak somewhere, accumulating moist as it drips, drips, drips, setting their silent soundtrack.

Tattered floor creaks under Lu Han's sneakers as he struggles to keep up with Sehun. The frayed edges of Sehun’s gwanbok grant him mobility, and he zips easily from room to room. They cross a narrow hallway together, with Sehun keeping a firm grip on Lu Han's hand.

They wander a pitch black hallway when a question pops into Lu Han’s mind.
He opens his mouth, readies the sentence, but gasps instead when Sehun shoves him up against a wall. All air is blown out on impact, but his breathless groan is stifled by Sehun's palm over his mouth. The warmth encompasses Lu Han, but his heart only drums harder.

"Shh," Sehun hisses. His fingers press harder on Lu Han’s lips. A large machine covers them. But between the cracks of pipes and metal, Lu Han spots people. A group of waiters chatter loudly nearby. Lu Han’s eyes widen. His palms are on Sehun’s chest. He’s not sure whether the hammering pulse he feels is his own or Sehun’s.

Sehun presses against him. One hand rests against the wall, while the other brushes Lu Han's lips. Lu Han tries his best not to think of it. A fine sheen of sweat starts to gather on his skin, and he grows painfully aware of the waiters’ voices. Their laughter throws a haunting echo through the storage room. Lu Han swallows. Sehun feels warm and soft against him. His fingers smell like autumn and soap and a promise. Lu Han takes a deep breath.

"Alright, come on." Sehun breaks the spell, dragging Lu Han out of their hiding place.

After squeezing through an unusually small opening, the pair finds themselves by the final exit. Sehun flashes Lu Han a blinding smile, an array of white teeth sprouting visible under his lips.

Sehun s the door open, sticks his head out, and touches Lu Han by the shoulder.

"Clear," he hums.

Together they slip between the opening, finally setting their eyes on the bridge. Its crimson reminds Lu Han of the restaurant's inside, of gods and green painted pigs and trays filled with sogogi. His heart feels lighter somehow, less miserable.

"Let's get you home," Sehun says. He's beaming. He continues to pull Lu Han along, slim fingers leading the way. The ground feels a little more solid under their feet, like maybe there’s still a way out.

As they begin to cross the bridge, Lu Han wonders if he'll ever see Sehun again.

"Wait just one second."

A shrill voice cuts through the air. The light of sunrise ducks out in the horizon. In a second the atmosphere goes from bright to tense, and Lu Han whips his head around.

Baekhyun, Chanyeol and another man stand on the edge of the bridge. Baekhyun's hands are on his hips, and his magwae rustles. The long, umber jacket overlaps in the front, pinned together by a button made of amber. His hanbok is nearly invisible underneath it.

Chanyeol still looks tall and confident, and Lu Han thinks their companion must be a devil.

Chanyeol tuts, waggling his finger. A playful smirk teases at his lips.

"Not so fast! I'm pretty sure we haven't approved of this outing," Chanyeol’s teeth glint dangerously as he exposes them. His voice is uncharacteristically rough. A myriad of goosebumps prickle at Lu Han's skin.

"Take them," the stranger orders. He's shorter than the pair, but there's an authoritative air about him. His pitch black magwae suits him, but Lu Han only stares at the man's dismissive eyes.

"What Kyungsoo says is law," Chanyeol declares, nodding excitedly. He cracks his knuckles, and flashes Baekhyun a toothy grin. "Let's go."

Baekhyun smirks---

and slams into Lu Han.

It takes less than a millisecond. Baekhyun crosses the bridge, flashes his knuckles, and jabs him in the gut. Lu Han coughs as his lungs deflate. When he cracks an eye open, Sehun towers over him.

Sehun's gwanbok flutters. He’s all teal and tiger in the rise of daylight. It looks like the wind has picked up for no one but him, as his own personal hurricane claws at his body. Sehun’s arms extend, and in a second the breeze laps at them. Wind swallows him, greedily ripping at his clothes and body, claiming Sehun and every single part of him.

Lu Han stifled a scream. Sehun flares up, whirls around, and the wind is alive.

"Using those dirty tricks again?!" Chanyeol growls, but there's excitement too. He grins unabashedly, launching himself at Sehun, aflame with more than just sunlight.

Baekhyun joins too, bursts of flames flash between the three of them. Lu Han rolls away just in time to avoid one. The bridge catches fire, and black smoke starts mingling with the battle.

"Slimy little wind rat," Baekhyun yells. He launches a series of blinding lights at the whirlwind. Lu Han scrambles away from the scene, pressing himself against the railing. It digs into his back as he can do nothing but watch.

Sehun is wind and breeze and nature all at the same time. He flits from Chanyeol to Baekhyun, and even to Kyungsoo, who's been watching from the sidelines. Sehun tears at their clothing, pushing them from one end to the other. Baekhyun shrieks in frustration every time his attack misses.

But they are three against one, and when Kyungsoo somehow gets a grip on Sehun, the tables turn. The wind flashes like a bad TV signal, revealing a body underneath. Chanyeol cackles victoriously, and Lu Han screams as he fires ten consecutive flame balls.

They connect, sizzle, and tear. Kyungsoo lets go, and the wind turns to breeze before it flickers one last time. When it hits the ground it's all Sehun. An array of scorched leaves rest beside him.

Open cuts, fleshy burns and ugly bruises litter his body. A pool of blood begins to form around his skull. Lu Han struggles to right himself.

"Fools," Kyungsoo barks. He leaves his spot near the railing, and delivers a slap to Chanyeol's head.

"Is this what the Demon King wants? A mortally wounded traitor? You know he delivers his own punishments. We're going to get scrapped, and it's all your fault." He spits the words, narrowing his eyes dangerously. Chanyeol yelps.

"But there was nothing else we could do! He morphed into that stupid wind form, right? He could've flown away!"

The trio starts bickering, and Lu Han bends over Sehun. His fingers tremble as he shakes Sehun's shoulders.

"Wake up," Lu Han pleads, nudging Sehun harder. "Please open your eyes." Sehun is still as stone under his touch. Scarlet smears along Lu Han’s fingers and the knees on his garot as he kneels.

"Were those flame balls really necessary?" Kyungsoo's voice rings. Baekhyun leans against the railing, face droopy with contempt. Chanyeol gesticulates wildly.

"Well, no,”Chanyeol grumbles. “But it’s been ages since we had a real battle.”

This sparks another outburst from Kyungsoo, and Lu Han gets an idea.

They're not far from the entrance to the restaurant. Getting out of the village would be ideal, but Lu Han doubts they'll make it that far.

He sends the trio a searching look before hauling Sehun away. Slowly Lu Han pulls him down the bridge. Sehun's gwanbok catches in the cracks of the wood, revealing his milky white belly. Lu Han's mouth goes dry at the burns and gashes that decorate it. He speeds up, silently apologizing to Sehun for the treatment. A trail of blood follows their journey.

"It's completely and utterly your fault," Lu Han hears Kyungsoo snarl in the distance. Baekhyun protests, and the last thing Lu Han catches before he hoists Sehun inside the door, is Chanyeol's frustrated growl.

The door shuts firmly behind them. Lu Han fiddles with the lock, his fingers shake, but he manages to work it. The entrance is still small and murky. Charcoal walls only deepen the suffocating mood.

Lu Han drops to his knees and feels Sehun's neck. It's cold, damp, and the pulse is so weak it could have been a flicker. Sehun's head lolls and he faces the wall, eyes closed, breathing shallow. Lu Han's heart stops and starts in his chest.

"I'll be right back," he whispers, hoping against hope that Sehun will hear and know. Lu Han takes off down the hall, sprinting through the rooms Sehun and he crossed only an hour earlier. He's not sure he knows the way, but instinct, adrenaline and terror drive him forward.

He shoves the door open, peeking inside. Living lumps lie scattered across the room. Kitchen personnel and other workers are still sleeping. He tries to still his heartbeat in fear of waking them. Lu Han slips inside, beginning a frantic search for Yixing and Jongin.

Yixing awakens at once. His pajamas are askew, revealing a slanted collarbone. Lu Han grabs Yixing, his shirt.

"Please," he begs, and Yixing only nods.

His sleepy eyes give Lu Han a once-over before he proceeds to wake Jongin.

The three of them are fast as whirlwinds on their way back to Sehun. Lu Han's footsteps match the rhythm of his heart, and he keeps thinking about Sehun's injuries. He wonders if Kyungsoo and the others have taken him already. Lu Han speeds up, praying to every god in this world that Sehun will be safe.

Upon seeing him, Lu Han tumbles to the ground. His knees scrape painfully against rugged floor, but the pain goes unnoticed. Relief floods him like a tidal wave, and he doesn't have to ask before Yixing is upon him. Yixing is calm, meticulous and careful. He lifts Sehun's eyelid, surveys his pupils. Jongin presses against the door in case they're attacked.

"," Yixing swears. Lu Han turns, uneasiness coiling thick in his belly.

"I can give him a medicine, but there's an ingredient I need," Yixing shakes his head.
"It's almost impossible to find, especially for us. It's outside the village,"

Jongin interrupts them. His eyebrows are pulled together in a guarded frown.

"Regardless of that, we need to get Sehun away from here. Anyone can ambush us like this. Come on." Yixing and Lu Han help Sehun on top of Jongin's back. Sehun's head hangs limply against Jongin's shoulder. A zap of electric rage tears through Lu Han.

They sprint back to the dorms.

"Listen to me," Yixing says as they lay Sehun down on the balcony. Lu Han keeps his hands in Sehun’s hair. The bleached strands are damp and soft against his fingers.

Yixing speaks in hushed words, eyes alive with tension.

"You have to get me the ingredient. You're the only one that can do it. Neither of us are allowed to leave, and if we do... It's impossible," Yixing gestures to their left, leading Lu Han's gaze toward the forest.

"We need an antler from a golden deer. It lives among the trees, and its antler has healing properties." Yixing smooths Sehun's clothes down. Sehun's expression is peaceful and seeing this, Lu Han breaks.

"But how?” he croaks. “I was going to go home, Sehun promised..." Lu Han shakes his head, bringing trembling hands to his face. "I can't do it, not by myself. I don't even know where to go," Lu Han peers out between his fingers, eyes taking in Sehun, Jongin and Yixing. Jongin's gaze is locked on the woods, his mouth turned down.

"Lu Han, please," Yixing's eyes are wet. "You don’t understand. If he dies he'll turn into wind. He'll never walk among us again."

The lump in his throat grows bigger the more he listens to Yixing’s words. Lu Han suppresses the urge to sob. For a second he wonders how he got here. He was only going for a walk.

"I have an idea," Jongin says, piercing the silence. His eyes are trained on the forest, a hollow smile teases at his lips. "And it might just work," he continues.

As if frozen by both time and the emotions that wrack them, Lu Han and Yixing glance at him. Jongin turns himself completely, front facing the woods, belly digging into the railing. He closes his eyes and frowns.

Lu Han's palm rests on Sehun's neck. As Lu Han watches Jongin concentrate, he feels the weak throb of a pulse underneath his fingers. Sehun is damp with sweat, and Lu Han smooths his hair back with a trembling hand.

"Jongin..." Yixing starts to say, but interruption comes in the shape of something blue.

Lu Han's mouth falls.

There, among the clouds, soars a magnificent marine blue dragon. It twists and turns through the air, propelling itself towards them. The clouds part at its arrival, making way for the ethereal beast. It's as if the sky bends to allow its path. The closer it comes, the more clear Lu Han sees the dragon, and all hair on his body rises.

A strong gust of wind blows through the room. Jongin crouches near the railing, shielding himself with a raised arm.

Its scales are shiny, eyes slanted and yellow, and two sharp horns sit on the dragon's temple. A long, smooth tail envelops the balcony.

The dragon gives Lu Han a look before twirling around, and what lands on the balcony is a pair of human feet.

"Yifan!" Yixing gasps, voice shrill with delight. "I've never been so glad to see you!"

Yifan pushes his hair back with a slim hand. He squeezes Jongin's shoulder, smiles at Yixing, and bends over Sehun. His dark blond hair falls over his face. Yifan's frown deepens.

Jongin explains the situation, and Yifan nods curtly. His tall stature radiates calm, keeping Lu Han away from the panic he felt earlier. Soon Yifan sits next to him, and lays a soft hand on Lu Han's arm. He's still touching Sehun's hair, Lu Han realizes.

"Come," Yifan says. Dark blue eyes stare into brown. Lu Han lets go.

"We'll hide Sehun while you're gone," Jongin promises. He gathers Sehun in his arms with the support of Yixing. Yixing helps, but soon sprints into Lu Han's arms.

"It'll be okay," he gasps so quietly only Lu Han hears. "I know it will."

Yifan turns, allowing them the moment. Lu Han takes a deep breath, smelling warmth and the faint scent of chocolate.

All the colors seem to change around him as Yifan twirls around on the balcony. Soon the wind picks up, and Lu Han watches as man turns to dragon. Head twists into a sharp blue shape, clothes soon replaced by scales upon scales. Yifan the dragon crouches, and a pair of wings sprout from the back of his shoulder blades. His whiskers barely touch the wood as he presents his back to them. Lu Han knows what he wants.

He hops on Yifan's back, clawing at the stone-hard scales on the dragon's shoulders. He has no time to adjust before Yifan kicks, and sends them off into the sky.

As a flimsy cloud passes right through them, Lu Han remembers he's afraid of heights.

He cries out in terrified gasps. Cold wind blasts them from every direction, but Yifan plows on. He ducks and turns, and Lu Han holds on for dear life. The sky is unbearably blue above, and Lu Han closes his eyes, praying that it will be over by the time he re-opens them.

A thump sends momentum sizzling down his spine. Lu Han slides off Yifan, rolling into the grass like a heavy sack of potatoes. Tiny gasps fill his lungs with oxygen.

Something grabs him by the garot, and pulls Lu Han to his feet. Yifan is Yifan again, and he faces Lu Han with grave eyes.

"You have to go," he says, pointing towards the woods. Lu Han glances, but soon watches their other surroundings instead. A majestic lake stretches out behind them. Its cyan shade gives it an ethereal glow. Sunlight glitters in the waves.

"I can't go with you, I'm bound to this lake," Yifan continues. Lu Han understands. Yifan's marine puts him right at home in the lake.

"Why?” Lu Han asks, kicking dust off from the ground. The woods look very green and very dark. The thought of going in alone isn't a tempting one.

"It's complicated," Yifan smiles.

"But why am I the only one that can go? You need to be here, Jongin and Yixing can't leave the restaurant, and Sehun..." Lu Han pauses.

A flash of hurt flits through Yifan's eyes. His mouth twists into a sad smile.

"It's because you're human, Lu Han."

He receives no other explanation so Lu Han drags himself near the outskirts of the woods. He's contemplating his options when Yifan speaks up from behind him.

"Listen, there's something you should know about Sehun." Yifan treads closer, playing near the line he can't cross. Lu Han's uniform shifts when he turns.

"He's a wind spirit, he can only exist that way," Yifan wets his lips. "If his wind dies out, he'll disappear. He'll be whisked away by any current that wants him, it's..." Yifan swallows. "It's sad, please don't let it happen.”

Lu Han nods, fire burning stronger in his belly. His hair dances idly as he walks into the woods, disappearing with the trees and the shadows.




A bird twitters from above, and Lu Han grows tense. His footsteps are cushioned by the soil, but every step still sounds loud in his ears. The treetops are thick, shielding the ground from sunlight and fresh air. Only a few rays penetrate the leaves. Lu Han hugs himself while he walks. It’s cold down here, with no sun, no nothing.

He follows a weak trail, looking from side to side from time to time. His eyes are round with caution, and after a while Lu Han stops.

He recognizes this feeling. His head swings from side to side. Lu Han faintly remembers a similar sensation when he first came into this world. Like something is keeping an eye on him. He whirls around, staring daggers into a nearby bush. He stills, eyes seeking for movement in every place he can see. Just as he's about to sigh and feel silly, something rustles. A branch breaks.

Lu Han's heart hammers in his chest. Blood flows rapidly through every vein. He feels a rush of adrenaline in his every move. Lu Han crouches near a hazel tree, seeking shelter from the unknown threat. Of course it is a threat, what else can it be in these woods?

Another branch clicks behind him. Lu Han turns, and falls flat on his .

Between thorn bushes and oak trees stands a terrifying beast. Its body is a bronze shade, shaped like a lion, with a sharp horn protruding from its forehead. Its back is lined with slick, shiny scales. Lu Han's heart hiccups in his chest.

The beast steps forward, sending a loud - yet muffled - thump echoing through the woods. Lu Han backs away, attempting to crawl behind the tree without moving his gaze. A gust of steam sifts out the beast's nose.

"Please," Lu Han hears himself say. Talking to a monster is far from reasonable, but he can't seem to rein himself in. Reason flies out his ear and abandons Lu Han completely.

The beast continues to close in on him, and Lu Han’s body gives up on him. His back rests firmly against the tree trunk. A shiver runs through him.

The lion melts.

Its scales merge into each other, turning from solid threat to liquid goo. The horn sinks into the creature’s skull, crimson eyes shut firmly, and giant paws shrink back into the bone. Lu Han's eyes are swimming, and he wonders if this is how it feels to go insane.

"I'm sorry!" A trembling voice squeaks, breaking the fragile silence. Lu Han shakes his head. Strange, he'd thought a beast like that would have more strength to it.

"Are you alright? I didn't mean to scare you! Truthfully, I wasn't really thinking at all..."

Lu Han blinks, raises his gaze, and stares right into the eyes of Junmyeon.

"You!" Lu Han growls, raising a leaden hand. His back still digs into the tree, but no monster is in sight anymore.

"Y-yes, I'm terribly sorry!" Junmyeon says, hands turning erratically. Junmyeon's gomusin look too clean, and his gwanbok is a little too neat as well. Lu Han stares crestfallenly at the man in front of him.

"Where did the monster go?" Lu Han asks, looking from one end of the clearing to another. It's dark, but not dark enough for a beast to just disappear, or is it?

"That... That was me," Junmyeon mumbles, eyes avoiding Lu Han's. "It's my true form. It's not very pretty, I completely agree, but that's the way it is." Junmyeon scrapes at the soil with his gomusin. Lu Han starts.

"Wait, what?" He quacks.

"I'm the forest guardian," Junmyeon grumbles, and he crosses his arms. "My assignment is to remove threats and keep the realm peaceful. My true form is called a Haetae," Junmyeon's mouth dips.

"One of my tasks is to ensure that no humans enter... I usually stand guard by the gate, and chase back anyone that comes, but two days ago I just couldn't," Junmyeon stutters, his voice is so low Lu Han barely hears it.

"I was supposed to make you go back, but I hate this job, I can't stand conflict, and you seemed... Well, you seemed defiant," Junmyeon admits. "And I just turned around after watching you for a while." He shakes his head. "I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway! And now things are like this! It's all my fault."

Lu Han frowns, and finally lifts himself from the ground. He has one hand on the tree trunk, and the other hugs himself.

"I knew I was being watched," he says slowly, and more to himself than anyone else. A switch clicks in Lu Han's mind.

"So you know these woods well?" He asks evenly, gaze never leaving Junmyeon's. Junmyeon seems to think the beetles on the ground are more interesting.

"Y-yes," Junmyeon mumbles to his shoes.

"And you know where the golden deer lives?" Lu Han continues.

"I do," Junmyeon confirms.

Lu Han nods, and slaps Junmyeon on the shoulder. The other flinches from the touch.

"Alright, if you help me I'll forgive you. Show me the way and we're even." He fastens the garot by his ankles, the flimsy thread. Junmyeon pauses for a while, before immediately nodding.

"Yes. Yes, of course, I'll help! Follow me!" Junmyeon pulls gently at Lu Han's sleeve, and they start moving along a different track. Lu Han lets Junmyeon lead.

Despite Junmyeon's careful demeanor, he knows the forest well. They skitter from trail to trail, Junmyeon finding shortcuts and clues where Lu Han only sees trees. Their footsteps are soft against the wet soil and Lu Han catches himself relaxing. He often caught snippets of customers' conversations while he was waitering. Some mentioned the woods and what resided in there. Hushed exchanges about yaksha, traitorous goblins and vengeful spirits made Lu Han's skin prickle. He never thought he would wind up in here.

His neck itches curiously. Lu Han throws a glance behind him. Only thickets, trees and mushrooms can be seen, but the sensation won't leave him.

Junmyeon's mouth is constantly moving, which Lu Han has been ignoring for a while. He puts a hand on Junmyeon's shoulder.

"Wait a little," Lu Han whispers, sending the trees another glance. "I think we're being followed."

Junmyeon starts, and begins fiddling with his belt. His slim fingers tremble slightly. "Are you sure?" he mouths. Lu Han nods.

They continue walking, avoiding the trap of panic. Goosebumps tease at Lu Han's skin and the hair in the back of his neck stands erect. He tries to resist the overwhelming urge to look back, but eventually loses the battle. His hair rustles when he shifts.

He almost misses it.

By the trunk of a birch stands something black. It could've been a part of the tree itself, or maybe a shadow, but Lu Han knows better. His senses amplify, and at once every corner of the woods come alive. A family of ants travels near Lu Han's feet; he can hear their steps. Lu Han feels how his body is connected to the earth through his feet, and his eyes are trained on the silhouette by the birch, only 20 feet away.

"Junmyeon," he hisses, but forgets the rest of his words. The shadow moves, disappears behind a slit in the greenery. Lu Han blinks, and backtracks. The shape lingers ten feet away now. The sound of Junmyeon swallowing resounds in Lu Han's ears.

"Who are you?" Lu Han asks, a tinge of command in his voice. His hands are balled into fists by his side, and tension stirs in his body.

The shadow becomes stiller, but eventually a pair of hands arises from its sides. Tanned fingers pull back what appears to be a hood. Underneath it is a handsome face. The person's skin is smooth, and his eyes are slanted. A strong nose marks the center of the face, and short, black hair moves as the hood leaves it.

Junmyeon gasps softly. Lu Han turns, witnessing his companion's ashen face.

Junmyeon's eyes go round with alarm, and he mumbles something intangible before grabbing Lu Han's sleeve.

"...shadow hunter!" He manages to wheeze.

Lu Han faces the stranger, and his eyes pool with suspicion. Something flashes through those charcoal eyes, and if Lu Han didn't know any better he'd say it was hurt.

Lu Han faintly recalls Jongin's words about this character. How he supposedly murders anyone he sees, brutally mounting their heads on spiky trees. Lu Han weighs his options. Junmyeon staggers backward, frantically pulling at Lu Han's garot. Lu Han shakes him off.

"Who are you?" He repeats, surprising both himself and Junmyeon. The shadow hunter lights up, and crosses the distance between them. He loosens the black robe, and Lu Han catches the sight of navy Jeonbok underneath it. Didn't the military use those...?

"I'm Zitao!" The shadow hunter says, and extends a bony hand. He grins from ear to ear, revealing a pair of pointy felines. Junmyeon squeaks something behind Lu Han, but Lu Han takes the man's hand in his own. He shakes it firmly, and bows his head.

"I'm Lu Han," he replies. Zitao the shadow hunter flashes another smile. He loosens the coat even more, and it eventually opens completely. His jeonbok is fully visible now. The sleeveless vest is clean-cut, in a deep midnight blue. The uniform is tied only in the front, and he wears a white dongdari underneath. The airy sleeves flutter whenever he moves.

He greets Junmyeon too, who continues to act rather stiffly.

"I saw you wandering around in here and it piqued my interest," Zitao murmurs. "People usually run when I approach them..." He explains, scratching at a spot behind his ears. Lu Han nods, but he rubs his arms fitfully.

"Listen, we don't have much time," Lu Han says, turning his head from side to side, surveying the surroundings. "You haven't seen a golden deer around here, have you? It's urgent," he continues, searching Zitao's eyes for answers. Zitao lights up like a Christmas tree. "Of course I have! Come with me!"

Lu Han's not sure how it happens, but he’s soon running around the woods, accompanied by a legendary shadow hunter, and Junmyeon the forest guardian. Zitao moves effortlessly, ducking behind trees and rocks and anything that lives in here. He even communicates idly with a pair of amber squirrels. Junmyeon frowns disapprovingly at this.

They follow a narrow trail lined with glowing mushrooms - which Junmyeon forbids Lu Han to touch - before reaching a wall of dark rock. Debris crumbles and falls from the top occasionally.

"There's a clearing between those trees," Zitao informs them. He leans against the rock wall, nursing his blade. The black of his robe dances in the wind.

"Only one can go in at once, though," he adds. Junmyeon sends Lu Han a look, but Lu Han has already stepped away from the others.

"I'll be going then," he declares. "Hold the fort while I'm gone."

Lu Han stumbles through the trees, without a clue as to what he should expect.




Thorns and branches catch in his robe as Lu Han pushes through the trees. He shields his face with an arm and stumbles blindly over roots and plants.

His foot connects with even grass. Lu Han heaves a sigh of relief before swaying. He falls, fingers digging into green and brown and soil creeps under his fingernails.

A soft breeze tickles him. Lu Han lifts his gaze, and his wide eyes fall on the deer that grazes a few feet away.

The clearing is lighter than the woods they've been walking through. The treetops are kinder, letting sunlight spill into the land beneath the plants. Lu Han's hair is warm with daylight.

The deer is warm too. It bears its name proudly, with glistening fur that seems to glow under the sun. A pink tongue is visible sometimes, as it plucks green strands of grass between its teeth. Lu Han can only stare.

And then it's staring back at him. Deep, intelligent eyes pierce through Lu Han, and a shiver skitters down his spine. He dares not blink.

"Please," he hears himself say. Although he knows it's foolish, he can't help but plead. His rational self commands him to fetch Zitao, and have him saw the antler off with his blade. His rational self is buried under something else, though.

He can only gaze into the deer's eyes. The longer he looks, the more he comes apart. A quiet pressure builds up in his chest, like a balloon slowly filling with air. The longer they stare, the fuller it gets, and at last Lu Han feels it pop.

All the feelings he's been bottling come bursting out. The dam breaks, and his fingers dig forcefully into the earth. His fear, his worry about not coming home, his worry about coming home, and what he'll come home to, but also his worry for Sehun, all of it is flushed out.

"Please help me," he murmurs. Words he’s never spoken to anyone before come tumbling out. Lu Han can't remember the last time he earnestly asked someone to help him.

A dim realization forms in the back of his head. He asked Yixing for help earlier. To save Sehun.

He asked Yifan for help too. To save Sehun.

Junmyeon. Zitao. To help Sehun.

That barrier which kept him separated from others slowly crumbles the longer he stays in this world. He sensed it yesterday, in the way working felt almost familiar, felt safe. It frightened him.

Somewhere along the way something overshadowed his wish to go home. Lu Han shivers as a mighty wind leaps into the clearing. It whirls around the deer, around Lu Han, and shakes every leaf in their vicinity. It smells like home. It smells nothing like Beijing.

Tears burn in the corners of Lu Han's eyes. His cheeks are flushed with something important.

"Please," he mouths.

The deer blinks. Once, twice, and turns around slowly. With a sickening crack, it slams its head into the mountain. Lu Han's heart jumps.
One milky white antler splits in two, half of it dropping to the ground, and rolls leisurely toward Lu Han.

He meets the deer’s eyes again. A silent conversation surges between them. Lu Han's eyes go dry. He nods.

"Thank you," he says, and grabs the antler. He doesn't look back as he moves between the birch trees.




Zitao and Junmyeon speak in hushed voices when Lu Han ducks out of the clearing. Their heads turn, faces sporting equally confused looks as Lu Han wipes at his eyes.

"Let's go," he huffs, stuffing the antler in the front pocket of his garot.

"Wait," Junmyeon interjects. "I'll... I'll transform. I despise it, but we don't have much time..." Zitao his head to the side, and Junmyeon takes a step away.

He does a twirl, almost like he's dancing, and then his body warps. A string of scales emerge from his back, glinting in the sparse sunlight, and once again the Haetae stands proudly before Lu Han. If he looks closely he can tell Junmyeon is in there somewhere.

The beast crouches, and both Lu Han and Zitao scramble to its back. Lu Han barely has time to hold on before Junmyeon takes them down the trail.

Grass, rocks and insects fly everywhere as they rush by. They plunge through a thick wall of boxwood bushes, and a blanket of dirt whirls in their wake. Twigs and branches stick to Lu Han’s hair, and it’s almost enough to form a bird nest.

When Lu Han makes out the glinting surface of the lake, he almost cries in relief. His thighs are burning, and he slides off Junmyeon in an exhausted daze. Zitao hops off, grin stretching wide across his face.

Yifan sits neatly by the shore. His jeogori is pulled up, gomusin placed beside him. Yifan's feet splash languidly in the crystal water.

"Yifan," Lu Han wheezes, hand clutching his heaving chest. He needs say no more, Yifan retracts from the lake and faces them.

Some of his spirit is gone. It's subtle, but clear. Yifan's eyes are darker, his hair droops, and he looks more like a child. The coat strings of his jeogori are starting to come apart, and Yifan yanks the sleeves up in haste. The collar is squared off, accentuating his jaw bone.

Junmyeon explains and introduces Zitao. They shake hands while Lu Han rights himself.

"What's wrong?" Lu Han finally asks. Yifan shuffles back into his footwear. He tightens the straps.

"It's complicated," he replies. His eyes are downcast. "I don't think the orb will ever come to me," Yifan's voice is so low only Lu Han can hear it.

"I don't think I'll ever be free."

Lu Han lays a hand on Yifan's shoulder, but grasps at nothing. The man shakes and turns and seconds later the dragon stands in his wake. Yifan's eyes are still cloudy. It’s clear he wants no sympathy.

Lu Han goes pale, but climbs onto Yifan's back again. He waves at Junmyeon and Zitao.

He flattens against Yifan's spine as they shoot through the air.




He shivers and wobbles when they swoop down on the balcony. The sun sits high, indicating sleep time for the restaurant, but as Lu Han and Yifan arrive, chaos surrounds them.

Kitchen workers, maids and waiters run from room to room, all having abandoned their sleeping bags and their naps. Lu Han stares in wonder at a man's dramatic leap over a group of maids in his haste to get out.

"What's going on?" Lu Han wonders, absentmindedly the antler under his garot. Yifan frowns next to him, surveying the area.

"Yixing? Jongin?" Lu Han calls, alarm coiling in his belly. He takes a step forward, but is violently shoved by a chef.

"Get out of the way!" he barks. The man is halfway into his work uniform. An angry frown haunts his face. "The Demon King has captured traitors!" he hisses.

Frozen, Lu Han yelps. He finds neither Yixing or Jongin, and Sehun is nowhere to be seen. A darkness settles in his mind, clouding every other thought.

"They're in trouble," he manages to groan before he's out of the room.

Lu Han's feet are fast as a whirlwind. He runs on impulse, like a machine that's been programmed to make haste. All thoughts about Yifan and Junmyeon and Zitao have flown out the back of his head, along with reason and sense.

Lu Han jumps over spirits, knocks over tables, offends dozens of waitresses, and sends a clothes rack clattering to the floor. He plows on.

Sunlight seizes him and renders him blind, as he throws himself out the entrance. The crimson doors squeak in protest but Lu Han flings them away.

His eyes finally adjust, and his heart plummets.

Between hundreds of people - both staff and customers - Lu Han sees them. The familiar faces of the Demon King's lackeys block the masses from the main scene.

Chanyeol is shooing away the nosy ahjummas, Baekhyun kicks at a curious child, and Kyungsoo spreads fear with nothing but his murderous eyes.

The Demon King's cape flows in the wind. He seems larger out here, sharp shoulders reaching for the sky above. His face is so pale it's translucent.

And there, by his feet, lies a familiar lump. Sehun's face is hidden, but Lu Han knows.

Lu Han pushes at a kitchen boy, shouldering himself between the crowd. Yixing and Jongin are on their knees, backs facing the crowd.

"Yixing!" Lu Han bellows. He throws himself between half-cats and giant bats. His throat aches. "Jongin!" He cries.

His shouts are swallowed by the masses of half-demons and otherworld kin. Curious guests have merged with restaurant staff. Lu Han’s stomach burns as he's elbowed by a lizard. There's nothing familiar with this scene.

"...Indeed, we can never allow such treachery in our realm," a dark, sleazy voice carries over them all. Lu Han follows it, blocking out the noise from the crowd. Screams, hooting, whistling and everything pushes at his eardrums.

"Alas, this child who I personally raised is now fighting against me. This child who has helped the restaurant, who has been an invaluable asset, is now a traitor. This pains me, it truly does." The Demon King sighs, a wicked sound, but Lu Han finds no sorrow in his voice.

His view is clear at last, having knocked an oversized ox out of the way.

The blade of a sword glimmers in the daylight. The Demon King holds it out, lifts it, and places it neatly at the back of Yixing's neck. Yixing bows, exposing warm skin underneath his sturdy garot. Jongin is still as stone next to them. Somewhere a bluebird sings.

The audience quiets.

"Therefore I must set this example for the rest of you. My kin, my family, we cannot allow this," the Demon King finishes, ending it all in a low, somber tone. The sword teases at Yixing's skin, sending a thin trickle of blood down his throat. Lu Han cracks.

"Get out of my way!" he growls, before plunging out of the crowd. Dust kicks up around him, and a rage burns fiercely in his fists. Lu Han's eyes set on Sehun, but he halts, two pair of hands clasping at his shoulders.

"Not so fast!" Chanyeol sing-songs, pulling forcibly at his joints. Baekhyun mirrors him, giving Lu Han a condescending tut.

Baekhyun leans in.

"Be a good boy and watch," he whispers, eyes glinting wickedly.

The Demon King scoffs, noting disturbance in his audience. He holds the blade still, but his eyes trace Lu Han's restrained body. Lu Han grits his teeth, eyebrows pulling down into his fiery gaze.

"I'll take care of you later," the man says, waving his hand dismissively.

Once again the Demon King concentrates, preparing the final blow. Lu Han holds his breath, terror coursing through his veins in a river of doom. He waits, heart hammering in protest.

He stops.

Everything stops.

The blade rests against Yixing's skin. The Demon King stills, Yixing stills, Baekhyun and Chanyeol and the entire crowd stills.

Time ceases to flow.

Lu Han looks around in astonishment. Every single person, monster, god, has stopped moving. The Demon King's sword sits firmly against Yixing's exposed throat, but he won't do the move. Jongin is frozen next to them. Sehun lies even stiller than he already did. Not even the weak rise and fall of his chest is visible. Something does a sickening lurch in Lu Han's gut.

Something moves behind him, and he whirls around in alarm. Behind him stands Zitao. His hand is raised, and his eyes glow dangerously.

"Move, now," he mutters. He's not looking at Lu Han, but his words are directed at him. A single drop of sweat travels down his cheekbone.

"I control time, but not for long. Hurry."

Lu Han knows his cue. He lunges forward, grabs The Demon King, and pushes him backward. The man falls stiffly to the ground, fall affected by the sudden stop in time.

Lu Han wipes at the back of Yixing's neck, smearing him crimson with blood. With a snap of Zitao's fingers, the boy comes to life. Yixing's eyes grow wider by the seconds, and he looks even more bewildered than usual.

"There's no time," Lu Han urges.

Yixing scoots over, accepts the antler, and scoops out the other ingredients from his robe. In lack of a bowl, he crushes the items in Jongin's frozen hands.

As Yixing grounds the antler and mixes it with herbs, Zitao slinks to the ground. Sweat pours down his face in a tiny river.

"Are you alright?" Lu Han asks, worry pricking at him.

"I'm fine," Zitao growls. "It's just, I've never... done this for so long before..."

Something forms in Lu Han's mind. Without wasting time, he rushes to the evildoers. They stand stiffly, with glassy eyes staring at nothing. Baekhyun's hands are still outreached, grasping at a Lu Han who's no longer there. It makes Lu Han's skin crawl.

He nicks the belt from Chanyeol's magwae and ties it around him and Baekhyun. Lu Han's fingers slip, sweat and haste making him clumsy. He finishes the knot and pushes them over, a cloud of dust envelops them as they fall. Lu Han moves toward Kyungsoo and fumbles with his belt.

As he continues to tie the knot, people begin to stir around them. Zitao lets out a strangled groan, and his face goes red with effort.

"I'm done!" Yixing exclaims at last. Lu Han abandons the three spirits, and crouches near Sehun.

He's very white and very still though he still smells like autumn. Lu Han brings his hand to Sehun's face, prying his small mouth open with his fingers. He moves so slowly and so deliberately it seems to take forever.

Yixing forces the medicine into his mouth.

One hundred things happen at once.

Sehun's eyes crack open, Lu Han's heart resumes hammering, and the wheels of time begin spinning once again.

A soft thump signals Zitao's fall. He collapses into a heap of sweat and exhaustion on the ground. The crowd around him starts moving again, and voices filled with shouts and confusion fill the air.

Yifan is there too. His robe flutters as he shoulders his way through the crowd, much more effective than Lu Han was. His knee scrapes against the gravel as he supports Zitao.

The sound of Chanyeol's confused grunting reaches Lu Han's ears, but his attention is on someone else entirely.

Time goes by again, but it seemingly stops when Sehun's eyes flutter open. His lashes are heavy with sleep. His hair is ruffled and covered with sand, but Sehun smiles, and Lu Han mimics it.

His hand moves on its own accord. Lu Han's fingers find their way to Sehun's face, cupping his cheek. He smears Sehun with blood and dirt and relief. Somehow his feelings seem to spill out, flowing from his head to his heart to the way his fingers curl against Sehun's pallid face. Sehun's skin feels warm and solid under Lu Han's touch.

A shift in movement crushes their moment.

A cloud of dust rises with the Demon King as he lifts himself from the bridge. His eyes glint red with malice.

Lu Han flinches, bringing Sehun to his chest. He doesn't have much to protect him with, but he'll give what he can.

"I will end you," the Demon King rasps, hand tightening around the blade. It flashes silver and death in the sunlight.

His accomplices continue to struggle with their ropes, but the Demon King only scoffs. He takes one step. The dust whirls. Two steps. It dances. Three...

A high-pitched ding echoes through the village. The sound is flung from streetlight to stone walls, from stone walls to food stands. It arrives at the restaurant with such force it renders the crowd immobile. It stings and rips at their eardrums.

A series of thumps follow. Lu Han cracks an eye open. His mouth drops.

The Haetae roars and kicks at the ground. Its lion body glistens with sweat, and the scales atop its back shines.

Junmyeon crosses the bridge, and Lu Han suddenly sees that he is trembling.

Junmyeon breathes in ragged gasps when he stops at the center of the bridge. His shape is illuminated by sunlight and something like bravery. He spits before the Demon King.

"This will not go on any longer," he says. His voice doesn't sound soft anymore, coming from that body. The Demon King continues to stare at him.

"I resign!"

Junmyeon leaps, collides, and the crowd erupts into chaos. Baekhyun yowls, Zitao groans, a rooster jumps the bridge, and Lu Han tightens his grip on Sehun.

"Release me! I command you!" The Demon King's high-pitched voice shrieks. His chest presses roughly against the wood, Junmyeon's paws crushing the man's back.

"I'll take no orders from you anymore," Junmyeon snarls. His amplified voice echoes through the valley and Lu Han flinches. His hand wraps swiftly around Sehun's wrist, finally seeing a chance to escape.

"Come on," he hisses, taking in Sehun's bewildered appearance. Sehun drapes his arm over Lu Han's shoulder and they begin to move away from the scene.

"This has been a long awaited change," an authoritative voice declares. Lu Han turns, taking in the way the crowd splits. Between the people, a young man strides forth. A giant, three-legged-bird sits on his shoulder. The air about him changes, and at once the entire crowd stills.

"That's Minseok," Sehun's voice whispers, finding Lu Han's attention once again. "He's part of the embassy; I think he'll take things from here."

Lu Han needs nothing more. Tightening his grip on Sehun's waist, he flits quietly out of the chaos and into the village. They slip between stands, under dead lanterns and Lu Han plows on at the sound of Sehun's breath in his ear.

Once their feet are outside the village, Sehun slides away from Lu Han. He yanks at Lu Han's robe, pulling him forward. They soon race through the fields together, parting corn and grass and leaves, creating a weak trail in their tracks. Lu Han realizes he's not touching the ground. An array of leaves whirl around Sehun's body, and they are both pulled away from ruckus and restaurants.

The gate slides into view. Ruby spikes reach toward the sky, forever stretching and searching for clouds and maybe rain. They come to a stop.

Lu Han's hand feels all too hot and sticky, still closed around Sehun's. Their fingers are slippery with sweat, but Lu Han refuses to let go.

"It's okay now," Sehun says. The world is mind numbingly still around them. Somewhere a bluebird sings.

Sehun's mouth opens, perhaps to say something more, but no words come, and Lu Han throws himself into Sehun's arms. He breathes in, sending autumn and blood and Sehun down his lungs. Lu Han's nails dig into the other's back, feeling warm, solid skin under the fabric. Sehun is bony and wonderful under Lu Han's fingers.

Sehun sighs, and gently pushes Lu Han away. His eyes are still misty, and Lu Han wants to drown in them.

Their noses are millimeters apart. None of them blink.

"Don't look back," Sehun whispers, voice breaking. "Don't you look back, Lu Han."

And Lu Han turns around. Every muscle in his body grows heavy. It feels unimaginably hard to drag his legs through the grass. It's still dewy from night and rain, and Lu Han's sneakers stick to every leaf, every single strand of grass.

He stumbles blindly through the gate. It takes every ounce of willpower he has to keep himself from looking back. The image of Sehun's face is already fading in his mind.

His feet catch in a field of clovers, and Lu Han falls forward. A force of wind envelops him as the world spins. He face plants into a pile of wet leaves.

The forest is dead quiet. No birds sing. Not even the wind rustles here. Lu Han lifts his eyes.

In front of him stands the familiar Tol-harubang. Its hands extend toward him, eyes glinting with knowing. Lu Han holds back a sob at the realization that he's home.

It doesn't feel like home for some reason.

Sehun's words echo in his mind. As Lu Han gets up from the ground, the words sling and echo and resonate inside his head. He tries to block them, clutching his ears, scrunching up his face, but Sehun's voice bounces off the walls in his brain.

"Don't look back, don't look back, don't look back,"

"Shut up...!" He mutters.

"Don't look back, don't look back, don't look back."

"Leave me alone, it was all just a dream..." Lu Han groans.

"Don't look back, don't look back,

don't you look back, Lu han."

He grits his teeth, whirls around and plunges back between the gate. The world tilts and Lu Han forces his eyes shut. He hugs himself, praying for Sehun's face to show up once again.

Sehun is leaving when Lu Han rolls out of the gate. Lu Han's hair sticks up in silly places, and leaves are plastered to both face and clothes and everything he owns.

Sehun has no time to react, because Lu Han is there now, grabbing him, pulling him forward, and kissing him hard and full on the lips.

It's clumsy and rushed and a string of saliva connects them when they part. Lu Han grins, face flushed with something warm.

"I forgot something," he says uncertainly. He has one hand around Sehun's wrist and his finger rubs circles in the pale skin.

"I'm glad," Sehun replies, pulling Lu Han back into a hug.




Minseok and his three-legged-bird ordered an election, which was the first of its kind. The Demon King was formally taken down, and sentenced to community service with all three of his lackeys. Their station would be atop the mountain, with Jongdae the Mountain God. Zaps of electricity could be heard regularly, along with some disconcerting screams.

Yifan - having finally regained his freedom - left the lake in search of the orb. Zitao tagged along, having grown attached to the older man.

Yixing and Jongin, in spite of their initial confusion, continued to work in the restaurant. Jongin quickly got himself a promotion, earning better and more legitimate money. Yixing also started volunteering at the medical office. Junmyeon would visit occasionally, when catching a break from his teaching job at the village’s academy.

And by the border between Underworld and mortal world, Lu Han and Sehun continued to meet.




"Minseok sends his regards," Sehun says one day. He stumbles through the field, hands full with a woven basket.

Lu Han leans against the gate, putting a ripe grape in his mouth. He chews and sends Sehun a grin.

"How's the boss, anyway? I hear he's gained quite a few fans these days," Lu Han smooths down his shirt, plucking at the geography book in his lap.

"That's right," Sehun grins. "He's well, and everyone is helping with the clean-up after the Demon King." He drops a batch of freshly baked bread on the convertible table next to them.

"But what about you?" Sehun inquires, stealing a glance at Lu Han's homework. "How's the studying? You're not slacking off again, right? I won't forgive you if you fail your exams,"

Lu Han groans, shutting the book with a thud.

"Give me a break! I've been at it for two hours! I swear my grades are the best in my class!" He pouts. "How is this spending quality time with you anyway? If all I do is study, I won't get to hang out properly,"

Sehun laughs.

"Stop sulking," he teases, putting a hand in Lu Han's hair. He plays with the silky strands. It sends a river of shivers down Lu Han's spine.

"Pretty sure you're the only one with a spirit as a tutor," Sehun continues, eyes twinkling smugly.

He leans over, planting a soft kiss to Lu Han's temple.

"We've got all the time in the world," Sehun mutters, reading Lu Han's mind, a skill he's perfected recently. His lips land on Lu Han's cheek this time.

"So much time," he continues, kissing the other cheek, before hovering lazily near Lu Han's mouth.

"Oh come on already," Lu Han groans, crushing them together at last. His fingers find their way into Sehun's hair, and he pulls, pulls, pulls, feeling warmth seep into his bones.

Geography is forgotten as Sehun slides into Lu Han's lap, lips never leaving his mouth. Lu Han laps at the roof of Sehun’s mouth, letting his tongue find every corner. He scrapes Sehun’s back with his fingernails.

A hot sigh escapes him, and Lu Han giggles. He pulls Sehun into him, rests his face in the crook of Sehun's neck. He smells like bread and autumn and a little like home.

"Let's stay like this for a while," Lu Han murmurs.

"Okay."