Due

That thing of ours

‘…boss, are you listening? Baekhyun?’

Baekhyun slowly raised his head, directing all of his attention towards the speaker.

‘Does it look like I’m not listening to you, Jongdae?’ He questioned calmly. The whole room stilled. The boss had been unusually quiet the entire morning and his people knew better than to poke a sleeping bear. It was one thing to deal with his usual harsh and snarky attitude but the unresponsiveness he had been showing today was more than eerie.

‘Well… no.’ Apparently, Jongdae came to the same conclusion because he quickly turned around and continued his explanation of the losses they incurred during their business with China. Baekhyun’s gaze returned to the original spot, a small unevenness on the wall right next to the window he had had no idea was even there.

No, Baekhyun was most definitely not listening.

Chanyeol did notice his indifference. He could not be sure, of course, but if he were to flatter himself, he’d say that Baekhyun was behaving unusually because of him. Because today was the day he was turning 25. Since the conversation they had in the car, he older had been avoiding his company in any way possible. Chanyeol understood – it did not, however, mean that he was giving up. Quite on the contrary, he needed time to prepare himself for anything that Baekhyun might try to shoot his way.

Bullets included.

Chanyeol lost any illusion of innocence that he might have had quite young. He never knew his father, his mother cared more for her own well being, only rarely remembering to check up on him. Baekhyun was in his life for as long as he could remember – the crucial moments of entering adolescence and then adulthood, the young lord of the underground, as he was then known as, had been there for him.

Their paths first crossed when Chanyeol tried to steal food from one of the areas monitored by the Byuns and the 17 year old Baekhyun looked so terrifying, blankly staring at the younger, immobilising him on the spot. Chanyeol was ready to bleed, he saw the gun hidden in the inner pocket of the leader jacket that Baekhyun preferred, but strangely enough, he was not only let off but continuously being taken care of.

He could not pinpoint the exact moment when he realised that his devotion to the young man was not just obligation and life debt, but he really did not have to. The lifestyle they lived did not allow too much thought about the future and Chanyeol never spared time planning it, either. He could die for Baekhyun, he could do anything the older asked. That was his reality and that was his right now. That was the only thing that mettered to him, the only promise he would never break. He did not believe even himself as much as he believed Baekhyun.

He was once gullible enough to voice out his feelings towards the other. He threw tantrums, cried, reassured over and over again. Baekhyun broke his heart cruelly and immediately left the country to tend to the overseas links of his businesses. Chanyeol did not remember exactly how long Baekhyun was gone but when he came back, Chanyeol was not the same person anymore. Over the summer of his 18th year, he suddenly gained additional 20 centimetres of height and 10 kilograms of weight due to the heavy training that Yi Fan had been putting him through. But most importantly, he had come to realise that whatever hell Baekhyun had inflicted on him did not, in fact, cause permanent damage. Rather, he began to think of it as a trial.

If there was one thing that Chanyeol had learnt from Baekhyun, it was the art of patience. And so, for the past 7 years Chanyeol had refrained from being overly emotional and whiny, and instead, did everything he could to make himself more attractive in the other’s eyes. If an occasional word or two about his feelings slipped from his mouth, he made sure to put emphasis on attraction, and not feelings. Baekhyun did not take well to emotions – probably because he never really cared for anyone deeply enough to acknowledge their power. But Chanyeol knew that their relationship was special, moulded over the long years of fraternity; and thus,  if there was anyone who could win the boss over, it was Chanyeol. He sensed that there was a mutual attraction between them, but then, there was also a paralysing fear, the cause of which Chanyeol had yet to discover.

 

 

 

The moment that Baekhyun decided that he had enough of the discussion, he simply stood up. Jongdae immediately stopped talking and looked at him expectantly. Both Chanyeol and Yi Fan moved to stand on either side of Baekhyun, ready for any orders he might have.

‘All of this is a clear waste of my time. We’re dropping the ers, I’m tired of their constant problems.’ He straightened the hem of his jacket, finally looking at Jongdae once more. ‘Find Junmyeon hyung – he’ll tell you how to proceed with the deal. I’m heading back to Exodus, don’t interrupt me unless it’s absolutely necessary.’ His face looked completely blank as he voiced out this casual comment but the people present in the room would sooner cut their right hand off than interrupted him when he didn’t want to be interrupted. They just nodded in acknowledgment.

‘Not you.’ Baekhyun didn’t bother looking to his left to know that Chanyeol was just half a step behind him. ‘ You’re dismissed for today.’ He shooed him away with a hand gesture. When the footsteps continued, he stopped and turned to the younger, annoyed. ‘Seriously, get lost. Do what birthday boys usually do. Don’t you have to prepare for your party?’

Chanyeol bit his lower lip to refrain from smiling. It was not unusual for Baekhyun, who under normal circumstances resembled a ticking bomb, to suddenly turn whiny and adorable. At least in his personal opinion. Chanyeol just shrugged.

‘I wouldn’t know. I have a job to do.’

‘Get lost. I don’t want to see you today.’ The boss repeated, huffing. He quickened his steps. Chanyeol wanted to challenge the older – it was one of those little games he allowed himself to play because he knew that he could get away with them. But as he was reading himself to proceed, he felt Yi Fan’s hand on his arm.

‘Leave him alone, kid. At least for today. We’ll see you in Red Velvet in the evening. I’ll make him go, no matter what.’ He made a short dismissing gesture with his head and Chanyeol had no choice but to watch the two men disappearing around the corner. He wasn’t sure if the giddiness he felt was a good sign.

 

 

So Chanyeol ended up drinking in the afternoon. Yixing had called for him, and by the time he reached the back room of Red Velvet, most of his close friends were already plastered. He drank a few shots to ease the tension building in his stomach. He was not sure who was supposed to be in charge of the party – as they continued to call the gathering – but judging from the crazy eye that Yixing was sporting, it definitely would not be him.

Chanyeol shoved away a person trying to crawl into his lap and stood up, hazed. He needed water. Aspirin.

Help, in general.

When he emerged from the private room, he spotted Irene and Junmyeon seated in the far corner of the hall, deep in the conversation. He leaned against one of the pillars, noticing how the man absentmindedly caressed his wife’s hand, while still keeping his head in the business that they were currently discussing. It wasn’t even the most affectionate of gestures that Chanyeol had witnessed but the inexplicable feeling that suddenly washed over him made him realise just how starved he really was for Baekhyun’s attention.

‘Enjoying spying on your elders, kid?’ Irene’s teasing voice brought him back to reality; he had not realised that he had simply spaced out. He smiled sheepishly, rubbing his neck.

‘I was just staring without really meaning to. Sorry.’

‘You look like you could use some painkillers.’ Junmyeon commented on his appearance, before getting up and retrieving a pocket from behind the counter. Chanyeol took it and poured the granular powder straight into his mouth, not bothering to mix it with water. He did, however, gulped down the whole glass down immediately after.

‘Are they all dead yet?’ Irene asked, motioning at the back room he had just left. They had been drinking for some time and one could never be sure. The younger shrugged.

‘No way. You know that we are all like cockroaches – we always persevere, no matter what.’

‘That’s a bit pessimistic for a 25 year old.’ The woman chimed in. Chanyeol shrugged again. What else could he say?

‘If it makes you feel any better, Baekhyun is fighting himself just as hard as he is fighting you.’ The older male sent him an encouraging smile. Chanyeol frowned.

‘Where did that come from, my dear husband?’ Irene looked at her other half.

‘Ju, your brother is in so much denial about his own feelings that he can’t possibly back out any further.’ Junmyeon linked their hands together, giving his wife’s palm a gentle squeeze. He turned back to the young man in front of him. ‘I don’t know what to tell you. Baekhyun’s situation is precarious. I’m certain that you understand why he constantly pushes you away. He probably feels it’s the only way to protect both of you. He’ll never let you in unless he feels that you can handle yourself.’

‘Which is probably never because you’re still the kid he picked up on the street and basically raised…’

‘Stop being mean.’ Junmyeon prompted Irene, to which she just scowled.

‘Stop sugar coating it for Chanyeol. Baekhyun is stubborn. Waiting and pleading will never do any good with him. The only way to change his mind is to break him. Stop waiting for him to notice you and show him what he’s missing. Might as well make yourself y tonight for a change and rub it in his face…’ She muttered and left the table without as much as good bye.

‘She’s a bit temperamental at times but she might have a point. After all, the attitude runs deep in their family.’ Junmyeon sighed and followed his wife.

 

 

Chanyeol did not expect Baekhyun to appear at the party so early into the night but what he expected even less was the usual smirk adorning the older’s face. Chanyeol spotted him as he sat down with a few of the known associates, easy conversation running between them. The waiter immediately brought him the preferred drink – whiskey on rocks, Chanyeol did not even have to look to closely to know – as he made himself comfortable on the armchair, his spot hidden deeper behind the dance floor but nevertheless, still visible from where the younger was standing. As if sensing his gaze on him, Baekhyun’s eyes met his and the former raised his glass in his direction, toasting. The smirk never left his face.

Chanyeol produced what he hoped was a mysterious smile, not a grimace and turned back to Jongin, whom he was currently dancing with. He tried hard to give his attention back to the dancer but his mood was somehow ruined. When he off-handedly glanced over his own shoulder, he noticed that Baekhyun’s eyes were still trained on him. He looked… hungry.

The rapid change of attitude puzzled him, to say the least, but Chanyeol quickly concluded that he knew what was going on here. He was, after all, the person who had the dubious pleasure of guarding the boss’s door almost every night he fancied bringing in an accidental lover. Chanyeol suspected it was purposely done, in a vain attempt to discourage him from any further advances. He had surely seen it all, so to think that Baekhyun would try his tricks on Chanyeol of all people, made the latter almost laugh out loud in mirth.

Turning from a prey to a predator, it was the older’s way of regaining control over the situation. Except that Chanyeol refused to be treated like the rest of Baekhyun’s and it was easy enough to turn the tables once again. But more importantly, to once and for all confront him about their relationship. And if Baekhyun still did not budge, then maybe, just maybe, it was really time for Chanyeol to stop being so hung up over him.

The young man brought his friend closer, grinding against him. He had no plans of leading the other on, but he knew Jongin’s sympathies laid elsewhere, hence he had no remorse in using him. He refrained himself from grinning although he wanted to – being the one manipulating, and not manipulated, surely felt refreshing. The club was bursting with people, all sweaty and dancing feverishly, therefore taking off his jacket and dancing closely to the other never felt more natural.

He did not even last ten minutes, Chanyeol thought to himself as he schooled his features and turned around only to notice the object of his desire holding him by the shoulder. He was y and he was more than aware of it, with his thick black eyeliner and the leather jacket he felt so comfortable in, but in that very second, Chanyeol just found him adorable.

Maybe they really did belong together because he himself was definitely not normal, either.

‘Mind if I take over?’ Baekhyun shoved Jongin away without as much as a glance and plastered himself all over Chanyeol, linking his arms on the younger’s neck. He brought their foreheads together.

‘So you like dancing, huh?’ The club was loud, but the young man was certain of the words that left Baekhyun’s lips. After all, he had been staring at them the entire time. He just nodded. It was one thing to be aware of the seduction methods that were being used on him, but another to be immune to them.

‘Let’s dance, then.’

For the next half an hour, Baekhyun did not let go of him once, save for the time a waiter arrived with vodka shots which both of them drunk greedily. By the time the older came to find him, Chanyeol had been left with just a tank top on, so to have the equally undressed man groping his arms and back was a novelty like no other. Baekhyun’s hands never wandered anywhere below Chanyeol’s waist but they really did not need to – the younger was already hard as it was. All that time the older was breathing into his ear, probably saying something, but even if the venue were as quiet as a church, Chanyeol would have a hard time deciphering his speech due to the dizziness he was experiencing.

After what felt like forever – and a few of Yixing’s failed attempts at peeling him off Baekhyun for one reason or another – Chanyeol felt the tugging on his arm once again.

‘How about unwrapping your gift now? I don’t think I’m gonna last much longer.’ The look Baekhyun sent his way could easily make Chanyeol come in his pants on the spot. He gulped. ‘I prepared the room upstairs, we won’t be disturbed.’

‘The party…’ The younger mouths stupidly. Baekhyun scoffed, sensing what it was about, even though there was no way he could hear his whisper.

‘Leave the losers to their devices.’

Chanyeol was subsequently led upstairs. He noticed brief glances from friends that they passed by but at that stage, he was way beyond reasoning. The room was prepared neatly, with candles and satin dressing.

‘I have changed the bed sheets, as per suggestion.’ Baekhyun commented as he started undressing. Chanyeol had the decency to snort. ‘Are you just gonna stand there? I thought you wanted to .’ The nicely defined arms were back around his neck, prompting him to lean forward. ‘Don’t worry, I’ll make it good for you.’

Just as the enchanted man was about to kiss Baekhyun’s lips, the latter turned away and all Chanyeol encountered was the lean neck. Also nice, but not what he was after. After a few quick trials, he frowned.

‘No kissing.’ Baekhyun just said. Now that stopped Chanyeol on his tracks altogether.

‘Excuse me?’

‘I never kiss when I . Just a rule of mine.’ He pulled the younger further towards the bed, but he wouldn’t move. Baek turned around, raising one eye brow in question.

Of course, Chanyeol thought bitterly. I was almost pulled in by his smooth attitude. He’ll have his way with me and kick me out in the morning. Which was everything he had tried so hard to avoid. ing. No kissing. Chanyeol wanted the older, but not to the extent of belittling himself. He knew his own worth.

‘What’s wrong now?’ He repeated, impatiently.

‘I’ve been hard for you this entire hour but in just one moment you seem to have lost all your appeal.’ He replied quietly, his face expressionless. Baekhyun frowned harder. ‘I don’t want to you. If I wanted to just stick myself into something tight, I’d pick up anyone downstairs. I want to be with you… Really be with you.’ He approached the shorter. ‘Kiss every inch of your skin and make you beg for me… but you already know that. And yet you still play with me. How cruel, Byun Baekhyun.’

Baekhyun’s breath hitched for a moment, but he quickly composed himself. With the proximity that he shared with Chanyeol, he had to raise his head quite a bit but he tried not to let that intimidate him.

‘I promised you a night. My body is present, right here for you to take it.’ He replied nonchalantly.

‘Too bad that won’t do. I want all of you. If your heart is not in it, then the offer is not as attractive as I originally imagined it to be.’ Baekhyun saw the sadness in Chanyeol’s eyes and his guts twisted in anxiety but what could he do? Wasn’t his ultimate goal to discourage the younger from himself? Shouldn’t he be happy that he was finally getting through to him?

‘If you can’t take between adults for what it is, then get lost, kid.’ He knew he was being harsh, he aimed to hurt. But the blade of his words seemed to stab him, instead.

‘It’s you who can’t handle a sensual act between lovers.’ Chanyeol’s indifference was unnerving but Baekhyun was still adamant about not backing out. ‘I’m tired of waiting for you and watching you have fun with other men, instead.’ As he approached, Baekhyun instinctively slapped him. Chanyeol did not budge and finally kissed him shortly, earning himself another punch.

‘I’ll break your neck, Chanyeol, if you ever do that again. Kin or not.’

‘Then I guess I’ll gladly die by your hand.’ Chanyeol brought him closer again, trapping the older’s limbs in between their bodies. He felt Baekhyun biting his lower lip in spite; the younger flinched in pain but did not move. Eventually they both parted for breath, heaving.

‘I gave you all this time but you never took me seriously. Not once. If you had rejected me after giving me a chance, I would have understood. But making a fool out of me for so long… how cruel, Byun Baekhyun.’ He repeated breathlessly, leaning forward once again, except that this time, an equally eager pair of lips met him half way.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chanyeol says: So... Jongdae being ignored again, desperate Chanyeol and ually frustrated Baek. I tried to give this some plot but I gave up half way cough*clearly* cough Well, I hope whoever requested it, still enjoys this little ChanBaek fic. Thanks for sticking around.

In other news, I bought all 10 covers of Exodus uh I'm finacially dead this month.