RETROPHILIA

Retrophilia
 

There is a disease called MILD COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT (MCI).

 

I'm not too sure about that disease but they said Chanyeol has it. And maybe that's why.........

 

He couldn't remember anything that happened after two weeks.

 

 

Two weeks. He can remember things for only two weeks....

 

Those memories "DIE" the next day, nothing is left in his mind...then he starts all over again.

 

Every two weeks. He'll ask me the same damn ing question.

" What's your name? "

" Have we met before?"

" Who were we? "

" Are we friends? "

 

I don't mind answering them again and again...at least I can be a part of the new chapter of his life.

 

I have three reasons why I'm still here by his side.

 

 

First is...because I want to protect him.

 

 

Because sometimes, there are some people who likes to bully and hurt him.

 

 

Because they know that Chanyeol will forget after two weeks.

 

This is really unfair to him. He never knew the meaning of "revenge".

 

 

One day Chanyeol asked me about his scars.

 

" Baekhyun, what happened to my hands? I mean these scars? "

 

" There were some people who did that to you Chanyeol "

 

" B-but why? They hate me? Had I hurt them? Baekhyun, did I hurt you too? Please tell me "

 

" No, Chanyeol you're a nice person."

" Then, why? I'm scared, Baekhyun. I can see these scars, but.. I can't remember anything or anyone for every scars on my body. "

 

 

My second reason is...in every two weeks he asks me to stay with him.

 

He once asked me to promise him that I would stay with him no matter what happens.

 

" Ouch! Baek, do it gently. "

" Ah, sorry. Don't move, let me apply the medicine. Chanyeol, you got two new bruises on your back. "

" Ah,ah, aigoo. That really hurt! "

" They should stop hurting you. Yeol. You don't deserve all of this pain. "

" It's okay, I'm already used to it. Baekhyun, can you promise me not to leave me even tho I'll forget you again and again and again? "

" I promise Yeol...... but...I got an offer to study overseas...I have to leave Chanyeol. At first, I didn't want to take the offer. But then, he reassured me. "

" It's okay, Baekhyun. It's for your future. Don't let it go. I'll be fine here, Don't worry......Don't worry "

" Is it really okay Chanyeol? Can you promise me to take care of yourself really well? Don't get hurt again please."

" Baek, please don't leave me. "

(Chanyeol said on his head again and again )

" I'll try, Baek. Don't worry! But, please come back to me after you finished your study and let me remember you again."

" Then, I'll really go. "

 

 

" Barcelona for two years,104 weeks and 730 days "

 

And what made me felt worried was......when I was about to go to the airport. I saw Chanyeol, standing beside the person who always hurting him... and he forgot that person AGAIN.

 

 

" Xiumin hyung.....it's me, Baekhyun. Can you help me? Hyung you know those guys who always kick and hit Chanyeol. right? U-u-um... I just... If you can keep your eyes on them? "

" Sure Baek, I'll take care of him. Study well, okay? Take care yourself too. "

 

 

 

It's been a year and everything seemed okay. I got a lot of new friends from around the world. I studied hard to get higher grades in exams, so I could show it to him when I come back to Korea next year. Even though I was having a fever. I didn't stop reading and studying 'cause I want to make him proud of me. I'll show our life before Chanyeol got his disease

 

 

Park Chanyeol?

 

He is a nice guy who is addicted to playing guitar.

 

 

He loves music a lot. Billiards is his favourite game.

 

 

We were classmates, but we never talked to each other.

 

 

Until one day...... I went to our library to find some books. Then I saw him. I stalked, no.... I looked at him. And suddenly, he turned to me.

He was just reading a book but weirdly, i felt amazed.

 

 

" Baekhyun? " He called my name. I was speechless, standing still. In just a few days, we became closer.

 

 

Chanyeol is the kind of guy that we can call an organized person, tidy and definitely cool. I'm a messy and clumsy person. But. he didn't seem to care. He accepted me.... EVERYTHING ABOUT ME.

 

During exams week.

 

We spent most of the time in the library, we study together.

 

I was such a lazy . He was a top student!

 

" Baekkie, as long as you got passion, faith and are willing to work hard, you can do and have anything you want in this world. Arasseo ? /smile/ "

" Channie! Look! There's a bug. "

" Baekhyun, I'm explaining here. Pay attention please." He was a serious person when it comes to studying, but he was actually playful, same as me.

 

We made some stupid jokes, and laugh at some little things. He always protected me. Not because I couldn't protect myself or what. It's just....... everytime he cared for me, I felt something strange in myself and I love that feeling.

 

One day, he received a phone call.

 

 

" I need to meet someone right after this. So, you can go home first, okay? "

" Who's that someone?"

" Kim Jongin " And I didn't know why I felt so worried. I felt that something bad will happen. I knew I should have stopped him, but I did nothing.

 

He met that person. And it was a mistake. It was actually a TRAP.

 

In the next day, my classmate informed me about Chanyeol.

 

"He is in a hospital. A group of students beat him after school ended yesterday. One of them is a top student. Chanyeol damaged his brain "

 

When he woke up and I visited him.....

 

" What's your name? " is the first thing he asked me.

" I'm Baekhyun. "

" Have we met before? "

" W-what do you mean?"

 

Those students admitted that they had beaten Chanyeol just because they felt jealous of Chanyeol's reputation as that tall guy who was also a top student, the president of music ministry club and was chosen for billiards game competitions..... AND NOW, CHANYEOL HAD NOTHING. Since then, he couldn't remember much and every two weeks, he would forget everything.

 

" Chanyeol, I'm Baekhyun " I stayed by his side even though I felt so hurt whenever he doesn't remember me or our past.

 

 

And now, here in our PRESENT.

 

 

I'm in Barcelona. Still counting down the days when I'll go back to Korea. I had studied hard and got what I want in this world. I'm not a lazy anymore. " I can prove it to him. " Everything was going smooth. Nice friends, nice lecturers. Kim Jongdae, a guy from Korea, he helped me a lot to communicate with the people here. Sometimes, we went to the mall to shop together.

 

Three months left before I finished my studies. I didn't receive any news about Chanyeol for a long time. But one evening, Xiumin hyung called me.

 

" Baek, I have a good and a bad news for you. It's all about...... Chanyeol..... The bad news is... Chanyeol got into a car accident. He's still in the hospital and he broke his left hand "

" Oh god! Hyung please! Tell me the good news! "

" The good news is he'll get through an operation he'll get a new hand! "

" Oh ! But, HE'S STILL IN THE HOSPITAL! Hyung, I want to meet him. H-how did he got into that accident? "

" Aish! Chill,Baek... You cursed just now "

 

 

I'm with Jongdae right now we're in our school cafeteria.

 

" Baek, are you okay? "

" I'm okay Jongdae "

" You look tired. Stayed up last night? "

" Well... I had to. "

 

 

If I fail in this final exam, I need to stay here for another ing year. I won't let that happen.

 

I WANT TO GO BACK KOREA NEXT MONTH!

 

 

 

Luckily, I passed the exam with flying colours. And I went back to Korea, together with Jongdae.

 

We immediately visited Chanyeol who was still in the hospital.

 

 

Once we arrived there, I waited for Xiumin hyung outside of the room.

 

 

" Chanyeol had two operations. One for his left hand, another one for--- "

" Are you his relatives? " the doctor asked me.

" I'm his friend "

" The operations went well and recovery is progressing too. So, don't worry. But he's still in a weak state and he need some rest "

" Can I see him? "

" Sure, but don't take too long. "

" Yes, Thank you. " He tried to sit when he saw me.

" No, no... It's okay. You can just lie down " but he refused to obey. so, I helped him sit up slowly and lean his back against the headboard.

" How are you. Chanyeol? " I scanned his hands,face,body and legs.

" Oh sorry. By the way. My name is --- "

" Baekhyun " He snapped my words. Silence!

" You... remember me? B-but how --- "

" Where have you been, Baek ? " he spoke slowly lowly while his fingers caressed my cheek.

My heart beat too fast and I was speechless.

I'm not sure how to react or respond.... as my eyes started to tear up.

So, thIs actually the 'good news' that Xiumin Hyung kept secret from me.

 

" Two surgeries; one for his broken hand, another one for his brain. Brain surgery. Jongin's family took the responsiblity. Chanyeol's back to normal, he can remember things like before. However, there are still some parts of past that he can't remember specifically. You're lucky he remembers you. You know what Baek... he called your name first once he woke up after the surgery two days ago "

" Yeol, I want to stay with you here tonight, can I ? "

" Sure! I'll really appreciate that. Staying in the hospital alone is really boring. "

" Haha! Yeah I know"

" Lie down next to me. So we can chat all night "

" Uh, o-okay. But, what if i accidentally kick your hand? "

" I'll kick you out of this bed "

" Hahaha! Just kidding.... Please don't kick me out. "

" Hahaha you're so cute "

" Uh? what? "

" N-nothing "

"........."

" I miss you Baek, I really really miss you "

" Hmm Yeol, what was the last thing you remembered? "

" Last thing? Umm.. I remember you called me, but I couldn't answer it because those guys were bullying me "

" What else? Do you remember how we met the first time? "

" N-no, I-I'm sorry "

" We met at library, I stalked you hahaha... you are the music ministry club president. You were also a top student. "

" You were once startled and then cried when a black-big frog jumped out from your school bag"

" You remember that?! "

" Maybe because those are related to you my Byun Baekhyun..... Baekhyun, do you still remember the day when you carelessly left your notebook on my desk? "

" Uh? The red one? Uhmm. Y-yes... "

" You left it open, and there was a message for me "

" You still......remembered? "

" Yes, and I replied to your message. Did you read it?"

" Wait. YOU REPLIED?! "

" Don't tell me you DID NOT read that message? "

" I- I already threw that book away 'cause it's just full of my doodles "

" OMFG! Clumsy Baekhyun as always. "

" You should have told me earlier! Now tell me what is your reply Mr. Park? "

" Look, I'm not the old Baekhyun who you used to know in past. No more of that lazy , no more sleepy head. I'm more serious when studying and I'm more friendly. Just tell me if you want me to improve anything else. "

" And you look prettier, Baek "

" Is that counted? Uhmm.. So, will you accept me? "

" Do you want to know what's my message in that book? I replied,

" I can accept your perfect and imperfect side, because it's you. And I LOVE YOU TOO BYUN BAEKHYUN. "

" I miss you. Yeol. Welcome back "

 

 

Now, I'm really sure that my third reason to stay by his side until now is because I LOVE HIM AND HE LOVES ME TOO.