Hunhan Prequel Excerpt

Of Chances and Choices

*The story takes place 2 years before Of Authors and Serendipity

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Luhan is the type of guy who is assured and confident of himself. He knows and always gets what he wants. Armed with an angelic face, good social skills (or should we say sweet talking skills) and an IQ of 134 he and his bestfriend, Kris Wu, were hailed as “neuro prodigies” despite of their short period of internship in Seoul Medical Hospital. Luhan is a social butterfly in contrast to Kris who is an introvert and a bookworm. Both young doctors are handsome and smart, making them eligible bachelors at such young ages. People gravitate towards Luhan, men and women alike. Everyone just wants a piece of him and Luhan surely knows how to use this edge in his game.

 

Luhan is ecstatic. The senior neurosurgeon that had just returned from America, Dr. Kwon BoA, chose him as her assistant for a major operation this afternoon. He is scheduled to assist Dr. BoA at 2 pm for a case of multiple cerebral infart secondary to intracerebral hemorrhage   from a cerebrovascular accident. Other doctors in the hospital have been desiring for this case and of course to spend time with the drop dead gorgeous senior neurosurgeon. Even Kris was vying for the spot since this case is really rare and promising. Rumor has it that Dr. BoA had just broken up with her longtime boyfriend, Kim Jaejoong, in America. Who knows maybe Luhan might get lucky after the surgery.

 

He strides absent-mindedly, head on cloud nine when he walks through the clear glass doors ahead of him. He bumps through it (head first, mind you) and God did it hurt. He curses the maintenance staff for making those glass doors so clean and translucent. He thinks he needs a coffee and stops at the nearby vending machine inserting some coins before noticing a boy with a stoic expression staring at him. Luhan flashes him his signature killer smile. He notices a blush on the boy’s cheeks as he flinches a little and Luhan mentally complements himself for being so gorgeous. The boy walks toward him and Luhan is certain that he is going to be hit on.

 

“Did it hurt?” the boy asks, the stoic expression is back on his face.

 

“When I fell from heaven?” Luhan answers immediately, deciding to finish the boy’s pick up line since he has been tired of hearing the same punch line all over and over again. To his surprise the boy in front of him still looks unfazed, staring at him passively as he does not move an inch.

 

“No. When you walked through the glass doors and bumped yourself head-on. And excuse me ahjussi you’re blocking the vending machine. I need my caffeine fix.” The boy answers and inserts some coins on the vending machine not even sparing a glance to Luhan as he walks away without turning back.

 

Luhan fumes. He has never been humiliated in his entire life and as he was about to chase the boy and tell him that he is young 25 years old man (and not an ahjussi!), he notices an ID on the floor. He picks it up and surely did it belong to the boy with a stoic expression. It must have fallen from his pocket when the boy got some coins.

 

“Oh Sehun. 20. College of Fine Arts in Seoul University. Hmm, not bad” Luhan thoughts to himself as he smirks at the picture of his new conquest. Watch out Oh Sehun. Watch out.