Chapter One

Love Beyond Your Pain
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

        

 

            ‘So are you nervous?’ Yamato asks me in sign language. ‘Not really, it isn’t the first K-pop group I was a make-up artist for,’ I sign back, before taking a sip of my coffee. He gives me a face. ‘What?’ ‘This isn’t just any K-pop group; this is your favorite K-pop group! It’s VIXX! How can you not be nervous?’ he stares at me. ‘Okay, I am so nervous. But if I think about it too much, I’ll become overwhelmed.’ ‘Do you think they’ll be nicer to you because you’re deaf?’ he signs with a kind smile. I shrug, ‘Who knows? I will always be seen as a burden,’ I make a pouty face. He puts his hand over mine. ‘I don’t think you’re a burden.’ I chuckle, ‘You kind of can’t since you’re my interpreter.’ ‘Although, you should, I drag you to all my jobs.’ ‘I don’t mind, other than the fact you pay me for it, you’re my best friend we’re together regardless.’ ‘That’s because we’re also roommates.’ I playfully roll my eyes and take a bite of my pastry.

            ‘At least you already know Ravi,’ he signs. ‘Yeah, but he doesn’t know I’m a make-up artist, just that I’m the best boxer in class.’ He makes annoyed faced, ‘Stop being so negative. I’m saying that if you get him, at least you’ll know him.’ I nod, ‘You’re right. I’ll try being positive.’ He smiles softly. ‘So did you finish your Korean homework?’ I do a face palm, ‘I haven't gotten around to it.’ He throws his arms up in exaggeration, ‘This is what happens when an American deaf girl from California moves to South Korea.’ I throw a napkin at him. ‘That’s coming from a Japanese-American arrogant boy! What are you even doing here? No one wants you, go home!’ I see him laugh once again. ‘I’m different because I’m fluent in Japanese, English, A.S.L., and Korean!’ ‘Impressive, it’s too bad you’re U-G-L-Y.’ I sign, sticking my tongue out him. He chuckled, ‘You put your tongue piercing back?’ ‘Yeah, might as well, I can’t even talk, so it doesn’t matter.’ ‘Yet; you can’t talk yet, unless, you’ve changed your mind about the cochlear implant,’ he signs, looking a bit worried. ‘I haven't. I just don’t have enough money yet.’ ‘You’ll get there,’ he signs.

……..

            I look at my outfit; a baby blue shirt, with a black short pencil skirt and my gold friendship necklace with a heart in the middle that I share with my girl best friends. Now I can’t decide how to put my hair. The lights start flickering on and off so I look at the door. ‘You look beautiful,’ Yamato signs with a smile. ‘Thank you. How should I put my hair? Tie it up in a bun, or leave it in a French braid?’ He cups his chin with his hand and looks intently at me. ‘If you put it up, you’ll look like you’re going to an office, so definitely leave it in a braid,’ he signs. ‘Okay.’ I twist my long bangs to the side and put bobby pins to hold them in place. I put my reading glasses on and we drive to their studio. When we enter, Hyuk is on Ravi’s back and most of the guys, except Leo, are throwing socks at him, trying to knock him down. I think. Yamato taps my arm, ‘I thought you were going to be a make-up artist for a K-pop boy band, not a bunch of monkeys.’ I give him a stern face, ‘That’s not very ni

Please log in to read the full chapter