Together We Must Be

Hating You

Baekhyun walked down the hallway of the history wing, his hand firmly tucked away in Chanyeols. The two decided to ditch class a few minutes before it started and go out to eat before the lunch rush instead. Baekhyun was glad he convinced Chanyeol to go without having to tell him that the real reason he didn't want to go to class was that he wasn't on speaking terms with Jongdae at the moment, and didn't want to spend an hour and thirty minutes more around him than needed. Their shared dorm room was bad enough; he didn't want that ruining the one class he had with Chanyeol too.

 

"Oh, let's go to the new noodle shop down the street! I heard it's awesome!" Chanyeol said eagerly, already speeding up his pace just at the thought of noodles. Baekhyun's laugh was cut short as his eyes set sight on a figure he did not want to encounter walking straight towards them.

 

"Hey Baekhyun," leave it to Kim Jongin to ruin the moment. "Been working out? Your arms look more toned than when I last saw them," Jongin winked, running a hand through his dark brown, perfectly styled hair. "I see you got yourself some good new arm candy," this time the comment wasn't directed at him though, but at the taller of the two. "How long are you going to keep him for before you throw him out with the others?" Jongin laughed before whispering something, which Baekhyun didn't catch, into Chanyeol's ear, a hand running slowly down the front of his chest. Chanyeol used his hand that wasn't in Baekhyun's to push Jongin aside, aggressively pulling his "arm candy" with him, before breaking into run and racing outside the building door with Baekhyun staggering to keep up behind him.

 

Once they made it to the noodle shop and got seated, Chanyeol finally release his firm grip on Baekhyun's frail hand. "What was all of that about?" Baekhyun asked, extremely concerned and confused. "What did he mean about 'all the others'? And what did he say to you?" Questions were flooding out of his mouth without his will. "Why did he touch you like that-"

 

"Nothing, don't worry about it." Chanyeol cut him off, grabbed a menu without glancing at the other, and began picking out what he wanted to eat.

 

"Chanyeol, if something is wrong-"

 

"I said don't worry about it, so don't. Just forget about it already Baek," Chanyeol said firmly, a stern glare sent the boy in front of his eyes to silence. This was the first time Baekhyun had seen Chanyeol serious and without a smile on his face and he honestly felt scared. He didn't feel the safety he felt normally when he was with Chanyeol.

 

But Baekhyun held the glare without shaking before finally giving up and sighing. "Fine. Whatever. I won't ask." After a few moments of an intense staring contest, he began looking through his own menu when a hand softly touched his. "I know what you're gonna say, it's fine. You can make it up to me by buying my food." Chanyeol laughed and nodded, glad to be forgiven so easily.

 

They then ate the rest of the meal like normal, joking and laughing. Neither one would dare to point out the other ones fake smile or admit to the awkward tension that filled the air.

 

~~~~

 

A warm hand reached out and grabbed his own pulling him into a tight back hug. "You've been avoiding me, haven't you?" A deep voice muttered into Baekhyun's ears making him shiver.  

 

"No I haven't," Baekhyun stammered back, ducking through the tallers arms and turned around to face him. "I've just been busy,"

 

"Huh-uh, busy." Chanyeol muttered sarcastically, a pout planted on his lips. "You weren't at class today or last week. That's three classes in a row you've missed including the one we skipped together. You know you shouldn't skip that much. What's up?"

 

A million thoughts raced through his head at once. How was he supposed to tell Chanyeol he was avoiding him due to something Jongdae said? How could he tell him that he's actually believing in the rumors? The whole thing with Jongin just made them all seem true and no matter what he did he couldn't push the thoughts away. What if it was all just a game to Chanyeol? What if he was just using him for his own needs? Come to think of it, he actually has never heard what Chanyeol thought of him. He's never said "I like you" or even joked about hating him. What if he was being played this whole time? After finally realizing his feelings of hate was actually infatuation, something like this happens. How ing annoying. These were the thoughts that echoed through Baekhyun's head over and over again for the past three weeks and he was finally sick of it. He was ready to explode.

 

"Baek, hello? Earth to Baekhyun-" Chanyeol's hands that had been waving in front of Baekhyun's face were shoved to the side. "Hey, you okay?"

 

"Don't touch me. Listen, I've been a total to you by saying I hate you all the time and stuff but can we quit playing this game now? I don't hate you, and you probably know that, so why do you keep letting me pretend like I do? Quit messing with me. I know you're just playing around with my feelings and I'm freaking sick of it. I know about all the other people you've played and I'm not going to end up like one of them. I can't believe I even let myself fall in love with the likes of someone like you." With those final words, Baekhyun stormed away leaving a dumbfounded, broken-hearted Chanyeol in the middle of the history hallway; whose smile quickly turned into a frown met with a stream of tears.

 

~~~~

 

When Jongdae got home that night from his evening classes, all of the lights were off with the TV on mute and the fridge door left open. He crept slowly into the dorm room, shutting the fridge and turning off the TV, making his way to his best friends bed. Sniffles came from underneath the big comforter that hid Baekhyun from view. He sat down quietly on the side of the bed and pulled the covers back slightly.

 

Baekhyun was an absolute mess. His hair went everywhere, his eyes seemed to be twice the size from the puffiness that crying had caused, and his cheeks were stained with dried tears. Jongdae ran a hand through the tangled mess of hair, letting out a soothing "Shh. There there," as the fragile boy began profusely sobbing.

 

He sat up and wrapped his arms around Jongdae's shoulders, hiding his face in the crook of his neck. "Why did you have to be right about him?" Baekhyun wailed into his best friends shirt. "Why him?"

 

"I'm sorry," Jongdae whispered as he laid Baekhyun's head down in his lap and began rubbing his back. The heartbroken boy drifted off to sleep in a few moments bringing silence to fill the room. "I really wished I wasn't right."

 

~~~~

 

After three days of laying in bed, Jongdae finally convinced Baekhyun to take a shower, eat something, and go to his voice lesson in the music wing next to their dorm. "You love singing. It'll be good to get some of your emotions out," Jongdae said as his friend grumbled something about Jongdae hating him. "I'll be here when you get back and then we can go out to eat!" He called as Baekhyun slammed the door.

 

Jongdae sighed with relief. He loved his best friend to death but he couldn't take the endless crying and whimpering throughout the day and night. (Of course the B.O. Baek had been putting off was the main breaking point). "Finally, I can sleep in peace". He sighed laying down on his bed happily.

 

A soft knock on the door made Jongdae groan and hit himself in the face. Please go away. The knock got louder. Goddammit. Slowly, he rolled out of bed.

 

"What," Jongdae growled, swinging the door open. Chanyeol stared down at his with sad eyes. His curly hair went every direction possible and his normally neat clothes were wrinkled and non-matching. The dark circles under his eyes stuck out like a sore thumb upon his pearly white skin. Two other boys peaked around Chanyeol before all three of them shoved their way into the small dorm room. "Whoa, hey!" They shut the door, ignoring Jongdae's protests.

 

"Where is the little, sassy one?" One of the boys with light brown hair and a firm jawline asked. His eyes pierced Jongdae straight down to the core.

 

"He's not here," the other boy with fairly darker skin and bags under his eyes sighed after checking the room. "You're his roommate, correct?" Jongdae nodded, still in shock.

 

"Well, is he coming back soon?" The first boy asked sounding annoyed. Jongdae nodded again.

 

Regaining his composure, Jongdae cleared his throat. "Why are you guys here? This is breaking and entering and I have every right to report all three of you to the school dorm committee." The two boys shrugged at Jongdae's threat making themselves at home.

 

"Listen, our roommate Chanyeol over there hasn't moved in the past three days because your little roommate Baekhyun broke his heart. We're both sick of his crying and self-pitting act so we made him come here that way they can talk it out. Once they talk then we'll leave," the boy with the dark circles under his eyes explained in slightly broken Korean. "I'm Zitao by the way," giving a little smirk.

 

"And I'm Sehun," the other boy introduced himself with a straight face. Sehun bent down, taking Chanyeol's shoes off for him before leading him over to sit on Baekhyun's bed.

 

So this is the man Chanyeol said he'd set me up with? Jongdae scoffed at the thought. I am nothing like this stuck up, rude boy! That idiot. He didn't however fail to notice the boys handsome facial features and well built body. He shook his head to clear it. "I'm Jongdae, Baekhyun's roommate and best friend. And I think it's a terrible idea for them to meet," Jongdae explained. Sehun glanced at him with a questioning look making Jongdae feel slightly uncomfortable. "Baekhyun only went out today because I made him. If he were to see Chanyeol now he'll probably have a mental breakdown and lord knows how long that'll last." Chanyeol's face fell at this and Sehun quickly put an arm around him trying to cheer him up.

 

"Well, he'll just have to deal because we aren't leaving until they settle this," Zitao said matter-of-factly. Jongdae groaned as Sehun grabbed the tv remote, turning on the tv and begun to flip through the stations.

 

"Listen, I'm his best friend and as his best friend I want what's best for him." Jongdae turned towards Chanyeol, making sure to make eye contact. "If you make him cry one more time then I will hurt you. No one in the history of torture has been tortured with torture like the torture you'll be tortured with. So don't you dare make Baekhyun hurt anymore than you already have." The room fell silent as Jongdae, angry at the whole situation, sat down on his bed, sighed, and put on his headphones to tune out his "guest".

 

An hour later of awkward silence and bad tv shows, the front door handle moved. Jongdae jumped up and raced to the door before Baekhyun could come in. He pushed the confused boy out into the hallway, calling out "one minute" to the intruders, and shut the door behind him.

 

"What the heck Jongdae?" Baekhyun staggered to get his footing, watching his roommate with wide eyes.

 

"Okay, so this probably isn't what you want to hear but Chanyeol is inside." Baekhyun's eyes flashed with horror as he took off running down the hall. Jongdae sighed, walking after his friend knowing he wouldn't of gotten too far seeing that Byun Baekhyun doesn't run. Sure enough Baekhyun was around the corner, leaning against the wall, his head in his hands.

 

"Why is he in our dorm room?" He groaned angrily. Jongdae leaned next to him and then decided it was probably best to keep his distance incase Baekhyun decided to take out his frustration on him.

 

"His roommates brought him. Apparently he hasn't moved in three days and won't stop crying. Sound like someone you know?" Baekhyun looked up from his hands sadly.

 

"He's been crying?"

 

Jongdae nodded in response before continuing. "They think that if you two talk it out maybe you'll both feel better." Baekhyun shook his head forcefully as if to scream 'no'. "I asked them to leave and they said they wouldn't until you talk to him. So unless you want to sleep in the hallway, there's no way to avoid this situation," Baekhyun groaned again.

 

"Fine. I guess I need to man up and tell him how I feel. Tell him that I'm fine without him and I don't appreciate being used. He can just take his crying home 'cause Byun Baekhyun doesn't need no player in his life!" Baekhyun stormed off towards the door, fired up and ready to get his room back.

 

"That's the Baekhyun I know!" Jongdae cheered following right behind him. Baekhyun grabbed the door handle and paused.

 

"I can't do it." He cried, sinking to the floor.

 

"What do you mean? You were literally ready to fight him like twenty seconds ago!"

 

"But now I can't do it. I still like him, Jongdae. I like him so much," he cried like a little boy who just broke his favorite race car. It was pitiful really but Jongdae just smiled slightly.

 

"Then tell him that."

 

"What?" Baekhyun looked up at his friend confused. Tell him I still like him?

 

"Tell him you like him. Just forget about all the rumors, let Chanyeol clear it all up, then trust him. And go on being happy. You obviously love him and if Chanyeol really was a player I don't think he would spend three days crying over you. So get in there and win your man back!" Jongdae bent down and wiped his friends tears before grabbing his hand and pulling him to his feet. "Let's go!" He opened the door and pushed Baekhyun inside.  

 

~~~~

Baekhyun stumbled into the room, staggering to regain his footing. When Chanyeol saw him he immediately got up from his spot on the bed and took a couple steps forward. Baekhyun slowly made his way over to the taller boy and Jongdae swore it was just like one of those super intense scenes from a drama.

 

Once he stood directly in front of Chanyeol, Baekhyun looked him up and down, not making eye contact until the very end. Holding the gaze for a second made a small smirk appear across the smaller boys’ lips. “You look like crap,” he laughed, making Chanyeol’s stiff posture seemingly relax.

 

“Baekhyun, listen-” Chanyeol started but was cut off by the said boy suddenly reaching out and grabbing his hand with both his. Baekhyun ducked his head and avoid eye contact, his shoulders shaking slightly. “Baek?”

 

“I didn’t mean to hurt you,” Baekhyun muttered out. “It’s just, there was a lot going on in my head at the time and I thought it would be easier for both of us if I just ended it there but instead it just made it more painful. I didn’t realize just how much I would miss you or want to be with you. I missed your everlasting smiles and contagious laughter. I missed holding your hand and the surprise hugs I was beginning to love. I missed the random text messages telling me some random crap fact that I didn’t care about at all but found that it made my heart flutter that it was from you. I missed spending our nights together and annoying Jongdae into the point of actually despising us for a period of time. I missed our spontaneous dates and extraordinary adventures. I missed your warmth, your smell, your voice,” Baekhyun paused, taking a couple of breaths and then finally looking up, making eye contact with Chanyeol’s caring eyes. “I missed your eyes, and your curly hair. I missed having someone around that made me feel extra short and I missed your ears so much it was almost sickening. I missed you. And I felt all of this in the course of three days. It’s kind of pitiful really. But I guess that’s what happens when you’re away from someone you love,” Chanyeol smiled at this as Baekhyun moved closer towards him. “Chanyeol, I want to be with you. I want to be able to call you mine, but I need to be sure that I’m the only one you’re calling ‘yours’. Please, can you clear up the rumour of you being a player?”

 

Chanyeol nodded, squeezing Baekhyun’s hand in his own, and lead him over to his bed. They sat down beside each other (causing Sehun to move because sharing the bed with a couple in a moment like this seemed like an awfully uncomfortable situation). Chanyeol took a deep breath before starting. “First off let me say, you don’t need to be sorry for hurting me. I brought that upon myself. I should have been honest with you the moment we started hanging out. I’m sorry. Yes, I used to be a "player" if that's what you want to call it. However, I never dated anyone at the same time. I just dated a lot of different people right after each other, and I mean minutes after the break up because they were never serious and I was never emotionally attached, so it just seemed like they all were being cheated on. I did this because I had never experienced love or friendship I guess. I was always moving schools when I was younger so when I got to my high school senior year and found out I would finish schooling there, I was ecstatic. I wanted a girlfriend really bad and quickly I found out that all of the girls liked me. I would date one girl, lose my attraction to her in about a week or less, and then move straight onto the next girl. As I was dating girls I started to wonder about guys so I started doing some one night stands with guys in between relationships. Jongin happened to be one of those guys. I didn’t “play” him but we did go out for two weeks right before school started and then I broke things off with him since all he wanted was . Then I met you and you’ve been my everything ever since. Out of the number of boys and girls I’ve dated, you’re the only one that I felt myself getting more and more interested in. I wanted to talk to you constantly and get to know you. I wanted to be close to you and hug you. I loved hearing about all the stuff you “hated” about me even though we both knew you didn't hate them at all. Except for that one blue shirt, I’m beginning to believe you actually did hate that.” Chanyeol paused to take a breath, as Baekhyun laughed with a nod. “Baek, I’ve never fallen this hard for someone before. Even though I smile a lot I’m still scared. I’m scared of hurting you or losing you. I never want that to happen. These three days have been a hell that I never want to relive. Please Baekhyun, give me another shot.”

 

Chanyeol’s left hand reached over, gliding behind Baekhyun’s neck sending chills down his spine. Slowly, Chanyeol leaned in, resting his forehead on the other boy’s. His eyes held Baekhyun’s gaze as if begging for an answer.

 

“I hate how much I love you,”

 

Chanyeol’s lips met Baekhyun’s as soon as the words left the smallers mouth. It was a soft, sweet kiss. It only lasted a second but that was enough to make both of the boys hearts skip and flutter. Chanyeol wrapped his strong arms around Baekhyun’s thin frame as smiles grew across both of their lips.

 

Jongdae smiled at the two boys, happy to see they’ve made up. He glanced up at Sehun who happened to be standing by him. Sehun’s face was still stuck in the same firm, unemotional state but his eyes seemed to sparkle with happiness for his friend. Jongdae would have continued to stare if the said boy hadn’t glanced at him a second later.

 

“What? We’ll get out now.” He sighed, seeming annoyed. “Come on,” he motioned to Zitao whose nose was scrunched up in disgust at the kiss he just witnessed.

 

“Chanyeol is so gross,” Zitao mumbled under his breath as he walked to the door. He grabbed his shoes and quickly put them on, as if the would somehow lead him to getting an infection. Jongdae scoffed under his breath as Sehun just rolled his eyes at his friend.

 

“Sorry for intruding.” Sehun ran a hand through his hair, turning to make eye contact with Jongdae. “We’ll just leave Chanyeol here for tonight since he may cry if we rip him away from his precious Baekhyun so early after making up,”

 

“Okay, um, see you around.” Jongdae murmured, suddenly feeling awkward. A smirk laced Sehun’s face, and a small laugh escaped his lips followed by a short wave before the two boy disappeared through the door leaving Jongdae to fend for himself against the giggly couple who seemed to be on cloud nine. They shared another kiss, interlocked in each others arms, signaling that Jongdae was in for a very long and uncomfortable night. "At least 'Operation Baekyeol' turned out a success,"

 
 
~~~~
A/N:
My first story is finished! I feel like a proud mother. I have an idea for a little bit more but first I would like to know what you, the readers, think of this first part! Please make sure to leave your feedback in the comments below and don't forget to subscribe if you enjoyed the story.
Have a wonderful day! 
-Dawn